Opening Excel-file in new window

I would like to be able to open an Excel-file in a new window through
shortcut. I know I can do this by putting the path to excel before th
path to the file in the target for the shortcut.

ex) "C:\Program\Microsoft Office 2000\Office\EXCEL.EXE" C:\MyFile.xls

This way I need to know the path to Excel all the time and also kno
which version is installed. As long as I have the file on my computer
know all these things but since I'm creating this shortcut via a
installationprogram I don't know what's installed on the client
computer...

Have any suggestions

I can start excel by starting a workbook:

windows start button|Run|
c:\myfile.xls
(click ok)

or from a shortcut, too.

But I think it's a user setting that needs to be modified to try to get it to
open in a new instance.  (or even as a new icon on the windows taskbar.)

And I wouldn't want someone messing with my settings.  (I may forgive you for
putting a shortcut on my desktop--if you ask first.  I can move it later!)

"silk <" wrote:

> I would like to be able to open an Excel-file in a new window through a
> shortcut. I know I can do this by putting the path to excel before the
> path to the file in the target for the shortcut.
>
> ex) "C:\Program\Microsoft Office 2000\Office\EXCEL.EXE" C:\MyFile.xls
>
> This way I need to know the path to Excel all the time and also know
> which version is installed. As long as I have the file on my computer I
> know all these things but since I'm creating this shortcut via an
> installationprogram I don't know what's installed on the clients
> computer...
>
> Have any suggestions?
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

New Implementation

PST file locaion under Win7
Hi, Where does outlook 2007 keeps PST files under windows7? Apparently under Users/myname there is no folder AppData\Local... Thank you for your help. ...

Linking files 2 ways

Using Relative path for XML data file?

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Excel button problem