Opening and formating a CSV file?

Could someone remind me how to handle CSV files please? I had assumed
the Text Import Wizard would pop-up when I use File|Open, but the data
goes straight into the worksheet. (Presumably because it is not
'delimited'?) Without the Wizard at my side, how do I get each
comma-separated field in its own column?

-- 
Terry, West Sussex, UK
0
9/21/2005 1:33:53 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

4 Replies
348 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 42

Try renaming your .csv file to .txt



Terry Pinnell wrote:
> 
> Could someone remind me how to handle CSV files please? I had assumed
> the Text Import Wizard would pop-up when I use File|Open, but the data
> goes straight into the worksheet. (Presumably because it is not
> 'delimited'?) Without the Wizard at my side, how do I get each
> comma-separated field in its own column?
> 
> --
> Terry, West Sussex, UK

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12005)
9/21/2005 1:36:37 PM
Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

>Could someone remind me how to handle CSV files please? I had assumed
>the Text Import Wizard would pop-up when I use File|Open, but the data
>goes straight into the worksheet. (Presumably because it is not
>'delimited'?) Without the Wizard at my side, how do I get each
>comma-separated field in its own column?

OK, sorted thanks. When I mulled it over, I realised something had to
be wrong with the file itself for that to happen. Sure enough, I found
there wasn't a single comma in the whole CSV file - they were all
semicolons!

Presumably just a gaff by the software author?

Having globally replaced the semicolons with commas, the file imports
in neat tabular fashion automatically.

-- 
Terry, West Sussex, UK

0
9/21/2005 1:58:45 PM
Terry.

I see you have sorted it but next time don't have or remove the CSV file 
extension. Excel will then not "recognise" the data and open the wizard. 
Otherwise, once the Excel fiile is open, highlight the data and use Data/Text 
to columns, which will open the wizard.

Either way, if you use the delimited option, you can then chose the 
delimiter in step 2. This will avoid the necessity of amending the original 
file.

Hope this helps.

Roger

"Terry Pinnell" wrote:

> Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:
> 
> >Could someone remind me how to handle CSV files please? I had assumed
> >the Text Import Wizard would pop-up when I use File|Open, but the data
> >goes straight into the worksheet. (Presumably because it is not
> >'delimited'?) Without the Wizard at my side, how do I get each
> >comma-separated field in its own column?
> 
> OK, sorted thanks. When I mulled it over, I realised something had to
> be wrong with the file itself for that to happen. Sure enough, I found
> there wasn't a single comma in the whole CSV file - they were all
> semicolons!
> 
> Presumably just a gaff by the software author?
> 
> Having globally replaced the semicolons with commas, the file imports
> in neat tabular fashion automatically.
> 
> -- 
> Terry, West Sussex, UK
> 
> 
0
RogerN (19)
9/21/2005 4:37:01 PM
RogerN <RogerN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Terry.
>
>I see you have sorted it but next time don't have or remove the CSV file 
>extension. Excel will then not "recognise" the data and open the wizard. 
>Otherwise, once the Excel fiile is open, highlight the data and use Data/Text 
>to columns, which will open the wizard.
>
>Either way, if you use the delimited option, you can then chose the 
>delimiter in step 2. This will avoid the necessity of amending the original 
>file.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Roger

Thanks, useful tip.

-- 
Terry, West Sussex, UK
0
9/21/2005 6:48:03 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces: