One cell takes multiple inputs

I was wondering if there is a simple way to make one cell takes multiple
inputs, essentially turning a cell into a placeholder.

Example:

Sheet1!A2=Sheet1!A3+5

Sheet1!A3 will take arbitrary value from Sheet2!A3 or Sheet3!A3, and
return the answer to Sheet2!A4 and Sheet3!A4, respectively.

If Sheet2!A3=2,       then Sheet2!A4=Sheet1!A2=7
If Sheet3!A3=4,       then Sheet3!A4=Sheet1!A2=9

Thank You.

csw

--
csw78
csw78's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23008

Your post has had a lot of views with no response.  I can assume that
everyone is like me....  What are you talking about?

This is gibberish!

> If Sheet2!A3=2, then Sheet2!A4=Sheet1!A2=7
whew... did Yogi Berra say this? (non-Americans can request an
explanation of this) :)

do you mean...?:

the formula in Sheet2!A4 should be: =IF(Sheet2!A3=2,Sheet1!A2+5,"")

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=374134

Hi, thanks for the reply. I apologize for the "who knows what you're
talking about". I'm really bad at this stuff. But I hate to dissapoint
you that I'm not an American, so I don't really get the Yogi Berra
joke. Let me see if I can redeem myself so that all American and
non-American can understand what I'm trying to do.

Bare with me. What I'm trying to do is, I would like to set up Sheet1
to be a "subroutine" or "function", if you will. Sheet1!A3 will be the
argument (a placeholder), and Sheet1!A2 will be the equation that gives
me an answer that I can return to other sheets. The problem is, the way
I understand it, Sheet1!A3 can only take one value referenced from
other Sheets, hence Sheet1!A2 can only return one answer, unless I
create tons of duplicate equations. If the equation is  A+B, then your
advice would be a great solution. But Sheet1 that I have will involve
reading table data and curve fit solution. So it's not just a simple
equation. I try to avoid custom function or vba cause I think someone
might know a way to do it without doing it the hard way.

The more I explain with my english, the more whew...now i have done it
again.
Thanks!

--
csw78
csw78's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23008
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=374134

It is true that a cell can only return one value, there is no way to put
two distinct values into one cell.  Again, without know what values you
want to return, or where they come from it is hard to give a concise
answer.

It is possible a simple VLOOKUP could solve your problem, returning a
value from a table of data based on the value in A3.  It could be you
need to pull data from multiple locations to do a calculation
(=sheet2!A3*sheet3!A3), and these can be further enhanced with IF, AND,
OR, SUMPRODUCT... the list goes on.  I'll bet if you include some sample
data and examples of expected results, someone may come up with a
solution for you.

Good Luck

By the way..Yogi Berra is a former baseball player/manager for the NY
Yankees, famous for double talk that makes you shake your head and say
"Huh, what did he say...?"  Examples:  speaking of a famous restaurant
in New York City..."No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded" and
his most famous... "It ain't over til it's over!"

Cheers!

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=374134

Hi, thank you for your quick response. I have four 4x10 tables where
coefficients are interpolated from. My list selection will determin
which set-of-3 coefficients to use. These coefficients along with othe
calculations will then be used to solved for an answer (A). Answer (A
can be solved without much effort. However, if I need to use answer (A
derived from other input parameters, then I will either have to give u
the initial inputs, or create duplicate but similar procedure. I use
vlookup, index, match, etc. to lookup the table values, and I ca
essentially create a duplicate of the procedure. But, it's Cumbersome
My goal is to try to keep the sheet as lean as possible so it's easy t
track in the future. But I guess the only way to do it is through VB
otherwise I'm afraid most programming language would be put out o
business.

All I know about Yogi Berra is that he was a great American basebal
player.
Thank you very much for your advice. This is a great place to look fo
solution, I might just stumble upon it someday

--
csw7
csw78's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2300
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37413

Take long time to load Outlook 2002 approx. 60 seconds
I tried to update the latest windows service pack 1 updates in order to help me to fix any errors related but still the same problem. The loading time taken for Microsoft Outlook takes approx. a minute, even though, my inbox is empty. However, most of the usage is for the contacts only. HELP! ...

Trying to copy address book from one laptop to another
I exported a Windows CSV file from Outlook called contacts.CSV, containing all the names and addresses from the folder, "Contacts". I installed Office 2003 on the new laptop and copied across the datafile ok, but I'm having problems setting up the Address Book. I'm thinking the CSV file is not the way to transfer the address book details, in which case, how can I get the Address Book on the new laptop to work in the same way as the Address book on the old laptop? I used to be able to click Tools > Address Book and all contact details would be there. The same list as is i...

Testing for an error in a range of cells...
I searched through the previous posts on this topic, but have almost no experience using VBA in excel, so I was wondering if there was a simpler way to achieve this: I want to write a formula in B2 that will basically say, "If the range of cells B3 to B24 contains an error, return x if true, and return y if false." I know how to do this for a specific cell rather than a range, for example (=IF(ISERROR(B2),"x","y"). Any help in achieving this without delving into VBA would be much appreciated (I just don't have the time to start learning this stuff as I am w...

2 cash drawers, one closing ????
We have a POS computer with 2 cash drawers, since its two cashiers that works the station at the same shift. My question is, is there a way to have 2 closing? one per cash drawer / cashiers? This sins since both cash drawers are in the same shift and both start with a petty cash. Whats the recommended way to work a shift with 2 cash drawers/cashiers and to properly square off the shift? ...

Only show one name of DL in To Field
I would like to use a distribution list and when the recipients receive the message have them only see their name in the To field and no one elses. Is this possible. Thanks Have you tried just putting the distribution list in the Bcc (blind carbon copy) field. If it isn't showing click View > Bcc field "Ann" <trotto@beckercollege.edu> wrote in message news:123e01c3c3f4$ba55fd60$3101280a@phx.gbl... > I would like to use a distribution list and when the > recipients receive the message have them only see their > name in the To field and no one elses. Is this...

Combine Text from Multiple Cells
How do I combine text from mutliple cells into one cell? Hi Carter one option - well two really: if the information is in cells A1, B1 & C1 and you want it combined into D1 then in D1 type =A1 & " " & B1 & " " & C1 this will give you the contents of each with a space between OR =CONCATENATE(A1," ",B1," ",C1) which will give you exactly the same thing Hope this helps Cheers JulieD "Carter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5fc401c48ac0$9cc86830$a301280a@phx.gbl... > How do I combine tex...

Should write history for more than one HR change per day
Currently, Human Resources only allows writing a history record for one change per day per employee when the Enable Reason For Change is marked. If an employee changes departments and positions both in the same day, only one of the records will be written. It seems logical that multiple changes could happen for an employee in a day. Why not allow writing more than one history record per day? -- BrianB ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" but...

One primary key per table? Access 2003 newbie
I'm under the impression that there is only one primary key per table in an Access database. I've got a class project where the professor asks to create a table of music categories. He tells me what categories are used (6 total) and he then explains that "the primary key for each category should be a short code consisting of letters. Another field will be a description of the category". I am completely lost as to what the professor is expecting. Can anyone shed some insight as to what he is expecting me to create? Please no flames about me going and asking the professor...

Paste to adjacent cells
Hi All If I have Data in cells A1 to A10 or C1 to C23 etc and I want to paste more Data along side, to B1 to B10 or D1 to D23. Even better would be if I could paste to either side of the data. Is there away to do this without having to highlight those cells, this would save me allot of time. Thanks in Advance Dave, When you paste, it pastes the amount of stuff you've copied. If you've copied 10 vertical cells, that's what it's gonna paste. You need only select the top-left-most cell before you do a paste. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period ne...

Multiple ADD COLUMN in one shot?
I have a statement in a query like: ALTER TABLE EXP ADD COLUMN first_name TEXT(75); If I wanted to add 5 columns in one shot, how would I do this? Trying to save this for repeatitive execution when I remove and recreate the primary table from the DB. Putting even 2 alter table statements in a row error. Guessing because this is a "Query", singular, and not a script but wondering if this is possible. Thanks. JR To get slightly better DDL facilities, use ADO or 'ANSI mode' instead of DAO or 'Access SQL' mode. Application.CurrentConnection.Execute("my DDL&...

Invisible Formula in Cells !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have this strang excel file. When I enter formular into it, it don't show thae value but when I enter anything else in the cell, that is visible. The formula is in the cell, its just not visible. On Apr 21, 7:41=A0am, Ayo <A...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have this strang excel file. When I enter formular into it, it don't sh= ow > thae value but when I enter anything else in the cell, that is visible. T= he > formula is in the cell, its just not visible. Probably the sheet is protected and Hidden check box of Protection tab of Format Cell dial...

need help with tables so form okat- multiple equipment for 1 job
Here goes. I know this should be simple not sure why I can't see this right. Here is what I want to end up with not sure the best way to set up the tables to get what I want. and/or best way to create the form(from a query) or using form wizard pulling in tables that I need. I want to END up with a Form for all possible JOBS(cleaning jobs) with equipment needed and soaps needed for each job. There are many pieces of equipment for each job - mop, bucket, etc.(can't figure out how to get this in a form without listing with a comma) Have so far - don't thinks the tables a...

how do I free units cells?
I try to put in alphabetical order a column but appear a messagge about cells joined togheter. How can I free the whole page ? thanks and sorry for my english Try selecting the whole sheet Ctrl A then Format Cells Alignment and make sure the merge cells box is unticked. then try your sort Reagards Dav -- Dav ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27107 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=513559 ...

move cursor to 4th column with one press of tab key?
i want to know how to change the setting of cursor with tab key from one column to the other, can it be set to move directly to the 5th or what ever the number of column we wish to with one hit on tab key? I'm not sure whether this will work for you, but it's a harmless play (hang around for better suggestions ..) Let's say we want to tab from A1 to F1, then hard return to A2, tab to F2, and so on In a new sheet, Hold CTRL down, select cols A and F Click Format > Cells > Protection tab > Uncheck "Locked" > OK Click Tools > Protection > Protect Sheet...

Money 2007 Deluxe OFX import error on only one account at bank
I have multiple accounts at R1CU and have them all set up for web imports. Today, I added two additional identical-type accounts that have been existing for a month at the R1CU website. The first account, let's call #14, imported transactions just fine. The second account, #15, will not bring anything in. It won't even search for the new account on import or ask me to which account the import should post. It just gives me the "import complete" window and transfers me to my list of web-enabled accounts and their download history. There, the #15 account isn't even lis...

Buy One Get One Half Price
Is it possible to use RMS's "Buy X Get Y for Z" feature to do "Buy One Get One Half Price" specials. It appears that there is no way to enter a % discount as the sale price. On a related note, will this discount scheme work with two different SKUs? We commonly do this for footwear, but the two shoes don't need to be the same size or style to get the discount. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, ...

cell won't wrap text
Very simple Excel file. 3rd column over is is formatted as Text | Wrap Text. All other cells seem to wrap text fine. One cell in particular won't wrap text. It displays all XXXX instead. I did an Edit|Clear and re-entered the text and it did it again. I adjust the height of the cell to no avail. 70+ other cells in this SS work just fine with the same amount of text. Any thoughts? Try changing the format from Text to General -- Gary''s Student "GrHopp" wrote: > Very simple Excel file. 3rd column over is is formatted as Text | Wrap Text. > All othe...

Save document to multiple locations
Other than repeatedly using Save As or Copy and Paste, is there a way to save a document to multiple locations? See the "Name" statement in help. As long as each file goes in a separate folder then... Dim OldName As String Dim NewName As String OldName = "C:\MyFolder\OldFile.xls" NewName = "C:\YourFolder\OldFile.xls" Name OldName As NewName Jim Cone San Francisco, USA http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware (Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming) "Bob" wrote in message Other than repeatedly using Save As or Copy and Paste, is there a way...

Contact List in Address List for multiple user's
I created a Contact List in the Public FOlders. I want the list to appear in everyones Address List. How can I configure the Contact List to appear in everyones Address List without visiting each user's PC like through the Exchange System Manager, AD, GPO, etc? Thanks in advance. Greg In news:8AB85031-AE20-4CC9-B5D4-89556B7C5DC5@microsoft.com, Greg <gregkh@hotmail.com> typed: > I created a Contact List in the Public FOlders. I want the list to > appear in everyones > Address List. > > How can I configure the Contact List to appear in everyones Address > Lis...

Format a cell to display as all caps
Is there any way to format a cell so that text entered will always display in caps? Hi Not Directly !......but you can use the UPPER function. If your data is in A1, put =UPPER(A1) in A2. This will convet whatever you type in A1 to Uppercase in A2 HTH Michael "WAF" wrote: > Is there any way to format a cell so that text entered will always display in > caps? No. You cannot format a cell to display caps. You can use event code in the worksheet to change the text to caps when you enter it. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Target.Column &g...

Multiple servers for same doamin
Hello, I'm having a bit of a problem and everything points to an issue with first exchange server. I have 2 2003 servers, server A has my first exchange server running. Server B is new and has a new install of Exchange 2003. I setup a mailbox on Server B, but can't get any mail to and from it. Both servers are in the same routing group. Is there anything I'm missing? thanks! Sean On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 11:21:36 -0700, Sean Branam <sbranam@coronado.k12.ca.us> wrote: >Hello, > >I'm having a bit of a problem and everything points to an issue with >first exc...

Multiple Users receiving same account
This is a newbie question, but I can't think for the life of me. I want to setup 1 email address that will be received by 4 users. Do I set this up as a Group then add the users to that group? What kind of group? I don't want to have to go around and setup a pop3 account on each workstation. I know how to acheive this in Linux, but can't think how to do it in MS. Thank you everyone for helping I really appreciate it. Kevin Exchange versions would be helpful. You could set up a distribution list and add those four users to it. "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microso...

Include two different page orientations into one document
I have publisher 2000 and I need to include 2 different documents with 2 differnt page orientations (portrait and landscape) into one document. Please help! Rotate the text and images on one page 90�. Or, create two files. -- Don Vancouver, USA "forest3girl" <forest3girl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9DADE117-0B7B-4ADF-B4FF-196CC4639ACC@microsoft.com... > I have publisher 2000 and I need to include 2 different documents with 2 > differnt page orientations (portrait and landscape) into one document. > > Please help! ...

In a shared workbook, can only one person "accept or reject" chang
In a shared excel workbook, several people can make changes, and any one of those people can accept or reject the changes by going into Tools/Track Changes/Accept or Reject changes. My question is: Is there a way to assign only one person to be in charge of "accepting or rejecting" changes in the workbook? ...

Extract data in the right part of a cell
I have some cells contains "*" , I want to extrat the text to the right of the "*". For example, if A2 contains "txt*123", I want it turn out to be "123". Thanks. Try the following formula, =MID(A1,FIND("*",A1)+1,LEN(A1)) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "plumstone" <plumstone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:731CB03C-AD8F-43D8-BFAB-6AD50DEBE799@microsoft.com... > I have some cells contains "*" , I want to extrat the text to th...