Office2003 autoformats my ENTIRE document, and the file size is HU

Hi everyone

I have recently ungraded to Office2003. It's great, with the exception of a
problem i appear to be having with Word.

I have a 22 page doc, that started out at a mere 100K. Everytime i try and
make a style change (increase font, bold, align, add bullets) word then
applied that new style to my ENTIRE document, ie: adding a bullet to one
line, adds a bullet to every single line in my doc.  Every line in the doc
gets reformated.

If i then go ctrl-z to undo the applied style, all the incorrectly applied
styles all correctly removed, and i am left with just my one style -
correctly applied.

After this process has happened a couple of times, Word then seems to grow
in memory size drastically (300megs) and more importantly the file size has
increased from 100k to 150Meg!!! I have ensured the 'autoSave function is
unselected, so have no idea why this is happening.

As my file has grown so huge - when i try and apply a style change now, it
practically hangs my system while trying to apply this silly auto style
across my entire doc. I have sometimes resorted to killing the process, and
doing a repair. In some cases (but frustratingly not all cases) this has
reduced my file size considerably - although not to it's original small 100K
size.

I'm sure this is something i'm doing wrong as i have found no mention of
bugs relating to Office2003 of this nature. Can anyone let me know what i
have to switch on / off.

Regards
Giles
0
Parnell (1)

Hi Giles

you might be better off posting in a word newsgroup - try
microsoft.public.word.newusers
they're a helpful bunch :)

Cheers
JulieD

"Giles Parnell" <Giles Parnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone
>
> I have recently ungraded to Office2003. It's great, with the exception of
> problem i appear to be having with Word.
>
> I have a 22 page doc, that started out at a mere 100K. Everytime i try and
> make a style change (increase font, bold, align, add bullets) word then
> applied that new style to my ENTIRE document, ie: adding a bullet to one
> line, adds a bullet to every single line in my doc.  Every line in the doc
> gets reformated.
>
> If i then go ctrl-z to undo the applied style, all the incorrectly applied
> styles all correctly removed, and i am left with just my one style -
> correctly applied.
>
> After this process has happened a couple of times, Word then seems to grow
> in memory size drastically (300megs) and more importantly the file size
has
> increased from 100k to 150Meg!!! I have ensured the 'autoSave function is
> unselected, so have no idea why this is happening.
>
> As my file has grown so huge - when i try and apply a style change now, it
> practically hangs my system while trying to apply this silly auto style
> across my entire doc. I have sometimes resorted to killing the process,
and
> doing a repair. In some cases (but frustratingly not all cases) this has
> reduced my file size considerably - although not to it's original small
100K
> size.
>
> I'm sure this is something i'm doing wrong as i have found no mention of
> bugs relating to Office2003 of this nature. Can anyone let me know what i
> have to switch on / off.
>
> Regards
> Giles

0
JulieD1 (2295)
9/22/2004 12:38:00 PM
i try to be :)
good luck

> Cheers JulieD
>
> You've helpful too :)
>
> "JulieD" wrote:
>
> > Hi Giles
> >
> > you might be better off posting in a word newsgroup - try
> > microsoft.public.word.newusers
> > they're a helpful bunch :)
> >
> > Cheers
> > JulieD
> >
> > "Giles Parnell" <Giles Parnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > > Hi everyone
> > >
> > > I have recently ungraded to Office2003. It's great, with the exception
of
> > > problem i appear to be having with Word.
> > >
> > > I have a 22 page doc, that started out at a mere 100K. Everytime i try
and
> > > make a style change (increase font, bold, align, add bullets) word
then
> > > applied that new style to my ENTIRE document, ie: adding a bullet to
one
> > > line, adds a bullet to every single line in my doc.  Every line in the
doc
> > > gets reformated.
> > >
> > > If i then go ctrl-z to undo the applied style, all the incorrectly
applied
> > > styles all correctly removed, and i am left with just my one style -
> > > correctly applied.
> > >
> > > After this process has happened a couple of times, Word then seems to
grow
> > > in memory size drastically (300megs) and more importantly the file
size
> > has
> > > increased from 100k to 150Meg!!! I have ensured the 'autoSave function
is
> > > unselected, so have no idea why this is happening.
> > >
> > > As my file has grown so huge - when i try and apply a style change
now, it
> > > practically hangs my system while trying to apply this silly auto
style
> > > across my entire doc. I have sometimes resorted to killing the
process,
> > and
> > > doing a repair. In some cases (but frustratingly not all cases) this
has
> > > reduced my file size considerably - although not to it's original
small
> > 100K
> > > size.
> > >
> > > I'm sure this is something i'm doing wrong as i have found no mention
of
> > > bugs relating to Office2003 of this nature. Can anyone let me know
what i
> > > have to switch on / off.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Giles

0
JulieD1 (2295)
9/22/2004 12:49:53 PM
Cheers JulieD

You've helpful too :)

"JulieD" wrote:

> Hi Giles
>
> you might be better off posting in a word newsgroup - try
> microsoft.public.word.newusers
> they're a helpful bunch :)
>
> Cheers
> JulieD
>
> "Giles Parnell" <Giles Parnell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > I have recently ungraded to Office2003. It's great, with the exception of
> > problem i appear to be having with Word.
> >
> > I have a 22 page doc, that started out at a mere 100K. Everytime i try and
> > make a style change (increase font, bold, align, add bullets) word then
> > applied that new style to my ENTIRE document, ie: adding a bullet to one
> > line, adds a bullet to every single line in my doc.  Every line in the doc
> > gets reformated.
> >
> > If i then go ctrl-z to undo the applied style, all the incorrectly applied
> > styles all correctly removed, and i am left with just my one style -
> > correctly applied.
> >
> > After this process has happened a couple of times, Word then seems to grow
> > in memory size drastically (300megs) and more importantly the file size
> has
> > increased from 100k to 150Meg!!! I have ensured the 'autoSave function is
> > unselected, so have no idea why this is happening.
> >
> > As my file has grown so huge - when i try and apply a style change now, it
> > practically hangs my system while trying to apply this silly auto style
> > across my entire doc. I have sometimes resorted to killing the process,
> and
> > doing a repair. In some cases (but frustratingly not all cases) this has
> > reduced my file size considerably - although not to it's original small
> 100K
> > size.
> >
> > I'm sure this is something i'm doing wrong as i have found no mention of
> > bugs relating to Office2003 of this nature. Can anyone let me know what i
> > have to switch on / off.
> >
> > Regards
> > Giles

Distribution Files for MFC in VS .net 2003

file cloning
I was wondering. How come it is possible to clone a file (using right click copy/paste file), but not possible to do this for other documents (apps and clip-art etc)?. Could it be possible to have an add-in in excel to prevent people from copying documents on their desktop?? -- shnim1 You can copy files that way (rightclick|copy, rightclick|paste). But most windows applications are no longer just simple .exe files (like back in the old DOS days). They usually have tons of other stuff that gets installed with them--and that stuff gets scattered all over your harddrive (windows folder, wi...

Microsoft Great Plains SDK Documentation.
Any idea where i can find Microsoft Great Plains SDK Documentation.(We dont have Microsoft Great Plains License). Thanks Nath Nath -- If you have a Universal subscription to MSDN you are able to download the SDK information for Microsoft Great Plains. -- Kirsten Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Nath" <Nath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BAB062FF-8C3D-42F8-BA00-0F83A95D5B64@microsoft.com... &g...

Lock-Protect documents
Excel 2002 sp2 How do you protect cells from being edited? I need to lock/protect all but 4 cells from being edited on a worksheet. I go into the 'format cells' properties of the 4 cells and 'unlock' them, and go into the 'format cells' properties of the rest and lock them. Then I go to tools, protection, protect sheet, I add a password and check only 'unlocked cells'. This isn't doing it, I can still edit the sheet, I emailed it to someone else and he can edit the sheet. What am I doing wrong? Thank you! You could prompt for a password using an in...

how to build the netsample ipconfig to the exe file?
C:\WINCE500\public\common\oak\drivers\netsamp\ipconfig\ipconfig.cpp i want to make ipconfig.exe. and i could found the sample code. but it source code builded to the lib file. in ipconfig sources files, TARGETNAME=ipconfig TARGETTYPE=LIBRARY SOURCES= \ $(TARGETNAME).cpp the project is .lib file. but the source code has a _tmain() funciton in the source. it's looks possible to compile to the exe file. how can it compile to the exe file? You can add the SYSGEN_NETUTILS and you will have the ipconfig.exe integrated to your OS. Search ipconfig in the cat...

outlook can't receive exe files

How to sort calendar entries on "size"
I would like to remove large size calendar entries by being able to sort on "size". I am able to sort Inbox items on size but not calendar. My company's exchange server has email account size quota and a 3rd of that quota is being held up by calendar entries on the server side, so I would like to get rid of the unwanted past celndar entries that occupy portion of my account quota. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Umesh On 11/18/03 9:21 PM, in article 049b01c3ae43$d9cf01d0$a301280a@phx.gbl, "Umesh" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I would...

retrieving folders.old file

Excel 2000 vs. Excel 2002

Opening .prn files in XL2000

Import reg files into Registry, without UAC
Hi, I've got a .reg file to be imported silently in a batch. The file contains only entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, therefore can be imported without elevation. This works well with the regedit /s switch on limited accounts, however on admin accounts, elevation UAC prompt is still shown, even though it's not needed. How can I prevent this? Thanks, Jens Jens M´┐Żller wrote: >Hi, > >I've got a .reg file to be imported silently in a batch. The file contains >only entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, therefore can be imported without >elevation. >...

Retreive a deleted file
How can I retreive a delted file Hi Janet If you have setup Excel to automatically create backup copies; then check that folder for the last backed-up version....If it is from your PC, check out the Recylcle Bin (on your desktop) and restore the file. If the file was on a network drive you may need to contact your network administrator and check whether they can recover. -- Jacob (MVP - Excel) "Janet" wrote: > How can I retreive a delted file Go into your Recycle Bin. If deleted from there; http://www.ozgrid.com/Services/recover-deleted-files.htm ...

Log file
Where do i find my log files? On an NT based system: go to start, run, type eventvwr, then hit enter. There you'll see the application, system, and security logs. >-----Original Message----- >Where do i find my log files? >. > ...

Need to show file properties dialog box
Hello I need to show the shell's file properties dialog box. I tried converting old vb6 code into vb.net but it gives me error. Here's my code: Private Structure SHELLEXECUTEINFO Dim cbSize As Long Dim fMask As Long Dim hwnd As Long Dim lpVerb As String Dim lpFile As String Dim lpParameters As String Dim lpDirectory As String Dim nShow As Long Dim hInstApp As Long Dim lpIDList As Long Dim lpClass As String Dim hkeyClass As Long Dim dwHotKey As Long D...

how to read .MSG files without Outlook ?
How to read .MSG files without Outlook ? Do you know a good .msg viewer ? Thanks to everybody ... E. to the best of my knowledge, there isn;t a msg viewer. You need to use outlook or exchange messaging client. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ ...

Does table size make a difference in how well Access protects data
I am having a problem that has been going on for several weeks now. I am slowly trying to figure it out. the problem is that Access 2003 keeps deleting records after they are entered. Quick view of database: running Access 2k3 back end and frontends, 12 machines access the DB at any one time, mixture of Win2k Pro and Win XP pro all patches and service packs installed for all OS's as well as Access 2k3. Running Client/server set up controlled by Small Business Server 2k3. database resides on a machine running XP Pro. when new orders are entered into the system, the DB will tell the d...

Repair Corrupt Excel File
I have an excel 2003 workbook that will not open. The file is about 14MB. I have tried the repair utility within Excel but it still will not open. Anyone have any ideas? I have had success opening corrupt files with OpenOffice http://openoffice.org In article <CF4A5951-DCD9-4508-B995-FB7F6585BF78@microsoft.com>, "Dave" <Dave@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have an excel 2003 workbook that will not open. The file is about 14MB. I > have tried the repair utility within Excel but it still will not open. > Anyone have any ideas? The Spreadsh...

Extra word prints that does not show when viewing the document
When I print my document or view it, this extra word is not there. When the document prints, this hidden word is in the printed document. How do I find this hidden word and delete it? If it prints, you know where it is. Have you turned on your nonprinting characters, etc? Have you tried copying and pasting it into a new blank document? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "S Roberts" <S Roberts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C437AFE5-8C0F-4859-8994-AA78D18CA573@mi...