odd files created

Every time I open and edit an excel spreadsheet on a
network share, small odd files get created. They are
usually no larger than 25-40k and don't have any
extensions to them. Looking at the properties page for
any file, the file description says File. Anyone know
what this is from or how to get rid of them? Permissions
are setup correctly for me, Word files don't have this
behavior.

Excel 2000 SP3

Thanks,

0
anonymous (74722)

Hi Brian,
A file the same size as the workbook would be created
in the same directory as the workbook.  The filename
would be nonsensical (or appear to be random) characters
and with no file extension.  This is normal for all versions
of Excel.  It is also part of the reason that one should
never access Excel files directly from removable media
expecially diskettes.

Excel creates a copy of your file.  If everything goes well
the original file gets deleted when you save and the new
file gets renamed.
     http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm
---
HTH,

"brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8b4901c432b4$5f433a80$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> Every time I open and edit an excel spreadsheet on a
> network share, small odd files get created. They are
> usually no larger than 25-40k and don't have any
> extensions to them. Looking at the properties page for
> any file, the file description says File. Anyone know
> what this is from or how to get rid of them? Permissions
> are setup correctly for me, Word files don't have this
> behavior.
>
> Excel 2000 SP3
>
> Thanks,

0
dmcritchie (2586)

cannot open file 'mfc42.lib'
I converted a mfc project from vc 6.0 to vc 7.1 and am getting the following link error. fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'mfc42.lib' I don't know why it's trying to link with the old mfc libraries, what do I need to do to get it to link with the mfc71 libraries? Are you still linking with other libraries that may use MFC and have not been ported to 7.1? They would try to pull in that lib. Tom "Brian Adams" <BrianAdams@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AED12865-4395-4414-96B5-DC2993F051A4@microsoft.com... > I converted a mfc projec...

Macro to save file using vlookup...
Here's what I'm trying to do... I want a macro that will take a date value from a cell (say B2 on sheet1) and compare it to a list of closing dates (month's end closing). It needs to then make folders for the year and month (if they don't already exist) and save the file in that folder. The sheet with the closing dates is setup like this: Month Ending Fiscal Year November 11/28/04 2005 December 12/31/04 2005 And so on... Thanks for the help up front! ...

Can't open a Publisher 2K file in Publisher 2002, edit text only .
Why can't I open an existing Publisher 2000 file with Publisher 2002, then make minor text edits and re-save the file in Publisher 2000 without getting the error message, "There is a picture on page 1 that is too large to be converted to previous versions of Publisher." Publisher 2000 did not use compression... PUB2000: File Size Increases Unexpectedly When You Insert Picture http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253973 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Art Frustrated with Publisher...

cannot open excel file
I go to open an excel spreadsheet that was working perfectly fine on Friday (it is now Monday), and I get the following error message (regardless of Macro settings): "EXCEL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." I did a search of all "*.log" files on my computer, and the only one modified at the same time as the error is drwtsn32.log. Here's the entry I get from the log file: "Application exception occurred: App: (pid=624) When: 6/6/2005 @ 10:28:51.290 ...

Importing Text Files #2
Anyone know how to create an overflow for text files? I import massive amounts of data from a text file into Excel, and I always must do this several times after opening text file and deleting top 62000 lines. I found a macro online once, and had it set up on my computer, but have since reformatted and lost the macro. Anyone know where to find this macro again? Or know how to force the import to continue on a second sheet? THank you in advance for any help..... Adam HI, Play with this code - it'll ask you how many lines to put on a page before adding a new page and filling it u...

odd scroll bar behaviour in access, keeps returning to top
hi i have a user here, using ms office 2003, and he has noticed that when scrolling through ms access or excel, that often the vertical scroll bar he is using will return to the top position. this is the same for excel. its a bit of an issue, as he would be clicking through databases with thousands of rows of data, and it keeps retuning to the top of the row. i did notice that a program called ifinger kept popping up as this was happening. but i could not find info on the web linking this product with the issue he is having. if any one has any suggestions, id appreaciate it. Regards ...

opening older/newer files
my Publisher 2000 wil not open files from a different version, but my other versions will-is there a plug-in or patch for this-THANKS luhkeekid <luhkeekid@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > my Publisher 2000 wil not open files from a different version, but my > other versions will-is there a plug-in or patch for this-THANKS No, there is no plugin or patch. Publisher 2000 will not open files from Publisher 2002 or 2003, or Publisher 1.0. Publisher 2002 and 2003 will open files from all versions of Publisher apart from 1.0. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Micro...

outlook express removing incoming files
Recently incoming messages have attached files removed with the message, 'OE removed access to the following unsafe files.' Any ideas how I can stop this. tools->options-security tab. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexpl...

My WMP library contains wav files best way to convert to mp3
I'm loading my Vinyl albums into WMP as WAV files. I've completed 100 and now have a very large file (48G). How can I convert the WAV files to MP3 without having to recreate my WMP library. i've split all the tracks and renamed them and added art work. I've converted the wav files to MP3 but when I drag the converted files into my WPM library I get a red X next to track that is associated with that file. If I do nothing will WMP automatically convert the files when I sync a device to the WMP? WMP supports transcoding When syncing, the files will be translate...

install Office Assistant character file?
I get the message "There are no Office Assistant character files present on the system. Please run Setup in the maintenance mode and istall at least one character" Don't know what to do. How do I get into the maintenace mode? Does Setup appear? What character should I install? Please advise. Thank you, William (Bill) Camp The information in this post by Office MVP Beth Melton may help you: http://groups.google.ca/groups?&threadm=%23vKbLA91EHA.2572%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl billcamp wrote: > I get the message "There are no Office Assistant character files present...

A required .dll file, MFC 42U.dll, was not found.
Someone attempted to run my SDI program, created in C++ 6.0, on an Windows 98 laptop. I do not support my software on Windows 98. However, could someone tell me what this indicates: "A required .dll file, MFC 42U.dll, was not found." On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:27:34 -0400, "SteveR" <srussell@removethisinnernet.net> wrote: >Someone attempted to run my SDI program, created in C++ 6.0, on an Windows >98 laptop. I do not support my software on Windows 98. However, could >someone tell me what this indicates: > >"A required .dll file, MFC 42U.d...

How do extract cells from hundreds of excel files and put in one n
I need to extract expense totals from employee expense reports and put in to one file for import then in to the payroll system fo reimbursement. Lots of unanswered, but needed information with this question. Generally this can be done relatively easily, with a big "IF" - and that IF is whether all of the files you'd be examining (the employee expense reports) have the same format, content and layout. Get in touch with me via email through (remove spaces) Help From @ jlatham site.com and we can gather some more information and probably have a solution in your han...

create an acess report from multiple exel files
Hello guys, I have billing statements that are all done in exel with a template and stored in folders by month order. At the end of the month, I need to make a report giving: name, account number, payment due. This information is stored in the same cell in each bill as a template is used. I am doing it manually by opening each individual exel file and copy information and paste to another spreadsheet to create my report. Is it possible to extract some data from multiple exel files and create a report? Does anyone have any idea how to work around this? I really appreciate your time ...

"Recently Used File List"
Using Excel 2002... Is there any way to remove files from this list other than waiting for them to be replaced over time? You could remove then. Here is code showing how to get at it Dim i As Long For i = 0 To Application.RecentFiles.Count i = i + 1 If Application.RecentFiles(i).Name = "ABC.xls" Then Application.RecentFiles(i).Delete End If Next i But don't forget, some items in the list will be just the file name, some will include the path -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "phil6666&qu...

Working with QIF Files: Quicken QIF Import Fix
Searching the net for a way to get QIF files from Money to Quicken, I did find something useful. While it worked great for checking, savings, and credit card accounts -- I didn't have any investment accounts in Money to try it out with, so I'm not sure how, and if that would work. It involves editing the header of the QIF file in any text editor. Sorry, can't answer any questions about this as I used it to get my data out, it worked, and haven't used it since: Quicken QIF Import Fix Open QIF in a text editor and manually add an "account header". The account...

Creating Case using web services

Restoring Archive PST file
I'm using Outlook 2007. I recently reinstalled Windows on my computer and I imported my old outlook PST file to restore my folders and email. However, there is also an Outlook Archive.pst file that is not being accessed. What is the best way to handle this? Should I just import it? Or is there a way to simply 'attach' it to my existing set up. You should never transfer Outlook data by importing it. Just open any data file that has data you want in the current installation. Since you already archived this data, why do you think you now want it back in your new profile? T...

Working with existing publisher files
I am trying to modify an existing page. It allows me to make the edits, but when I look at the page in print preview the old text is there. I'm not sure how to get to the old text since it's not showing when I'm in normal view. Which version of Publisher are you working with? Have you tried printing it? Could it be a glitch? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "saenl" <saenl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C952078F-E942-47C3-94C0-9934CEF6791B@microsoft.com... >I a...

TMP File Created in Addition to Document Saved
I have a user with a new computer running XP o/s and Office 2000 SP3. Her default file location for Excel is on the network (Novell)to her personal home directory. After modifying a workbook and then saving, an additional file is getting created with how the workbook looked before the modification. The additional file getting saved uses the same name but then adds ~*****.tmp (not actually **** but what appears to be random alph/numeric characters...example rf1c7a38). This never used to be the case on her prior system (95 with Office 2000 SR1). She has full rights on her home direc...

maintaining the vtbl pointer in each object created..
I have a class, say PERSON. This calss has 2 virtual functions and 1 data member. When a new object of this class is created on the heap, a virtual table pointer(vtbl) will be maintained in the object. If I construct say another 10 objects, each object will maintain its own virtual table pointer. Thus 11 objects of same class now have 1 pointer each implies 1 pointer * 4 bytes * 11 objects = 44 bytes used. Why is it not that this pointer be maintained in a static variable maybe globally and all the objects of the class refer to it, rather than maintaining 4 bytes with each object? Please...

Creating a form #3
Can I creat a Form in Publisher? I am able to create a form in MS Word 2000 that people can just check off boxes. I am using Publisher 98, and I'm wondering if any later versions are able to create these same forms. Thank you. Publisher 98 has business form templates. Try adapting one of them for your own needs. All versions of Publisher have business form templates. There are others on the Office web site, but Publisher 98 is not compatible with those. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.ip...

log files #6
Hi, On the last installations of 2003SBS premium SP1 edition, i noticed that under c:\program files\exchsrv\mdbdata\, lots of .log-files are created, consuming lots of space. Is there a way to avoid the creation of these files. Because after, lets say a week, these files can consume for example 3Gb ! and these are the things that are eating up my diskspace. Regards, Jo Lambrecht I think the way is scheduled job on 00:00 I think: cd c:\program files\exchsrv\mbdata del *.log /q "Jo Lambrecht" wrote: > Hi, > > On the last installations of 2003SBS premium SP1 edi...

Creating a long-term loan
Hi, People on this forum have been very helpful and I want to thank you all first. I have another problem with creating a long-term loan and "matching" this loan with another account (asset). For example, if I borrow $1000 and I create a long-term loan for it, it simply creates a loan account with an amount -$1000. Once I saw this, I decided to simply create another account with a starting balance of $1000 (i.e. to offset the $1000 loan). After all, it is a loan so I do have the cash to use (i.e. purchase investments for instance). The problem is when I look at networth o...

Create a PST from an exchange server...
a few years backup I used this nifty little utility that would be run from the comand prompt. It would go into the message store and pull the complete mail box out of a user I specified. I did not have to spply a password. Anyone know if that utility is still around? and if so will it work with 2003 exc std? thanks kevin Exmerge. -GT "Kevin" <kpride@fwymca.org> wrote in message news:2656f01c46101$b3b52030$a301280a@phx.gbl... > a few years backup I used this nifty little utility that > would be run from the comand prompt. It would go into the > message store an...

How do I enable macros in an open file?
A user opens an Excel file (with global macro security setting on "Medium"). She is not prompted to "Enable Macros". Instead, it opens and macros are disabled. Any ideas why? Is there a way for her to enable macros with the file open? Thank you in advance! Kevin Hate to bump my own post . . . anyone? . . . Bueller . . . Bueller . . . Thanks in advance! ...