Numbers? automatic

I would like to know is there a way to get excel to automatically put
the decimal at the second position without having to type the point in?
Example I want to type 149 and would like it to read 1.49  Also is
there a way to get it to automatically put the first digit in? As
everything I type into these cells always starts with 1. Can it be
typed in as 49 or.49 and show up as 1.49?

Thanks
Chris

---

Use Tools|Options; open the Edit tab and locate Fixed Decimals
Be warned: this is a sticky setting and will apply to all workbooks you
open.
The newsgroup gets many questions about 'strange behaviour' - "I type 123
and get 1.23, why?"
So turned it off as soon as it is not needed.
Bernard

"CMarkou >" <<CMarkou.zroyq@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I would like to know is there a way to get excel to automatically put
> the decimal at the second position without having to type the point in?
> Example I want to type 149 and would like it to read 1.49  Also is
> there a way to get it to automatically put the first digit in? As
> everything I type into these cells always starts with 1. Can it be
> typed in as 49 or.49 and show up as 1.49?
>
> Thanks
> Chris
>

> ---

bliengme1 (122)
1/9/2004 2:09:22 PM
Hi CMarkou!

Try:

Tools > Options > Edit
Check fixed decimal places.

Don't forget to undo this setting especially if someone else uses the
computer. We get a lot of requests for how to stop this.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

0
njharker (1646)
1/9/2004 2:14:41 PM
Chris,

Norman gave you a solution to one part. If you want it to do both parts, you
need VBA. This code goes into the worksheet code module

    Application.EnableEvents = False
    On Error GoTo ws_exit
    With Target
        If IsNumeric(.Value) Then
            .Value = 1 + .Value / 10 ^ (Len(.Value))
        End If
    End With

ws_exit:

    Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Don't check the decimal places as Norman suggested ikf you go for this
solution

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"CMarkou >" <<CMarkou.zroyq@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I would like to know is there a way to get excel to automatically put
> the decimal at the second position without having to type the point in?
> Example I want to type 149 and would like it to read 1.49  Also is
> there a way to get it to automatically put the first digit in? As
> everything I type into these cells always starts with 1. Can it be
> typed in as 49 or.49 and show up as 1.49?
>
> Thanks
> Chris
>

> ---

bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/9/2004 2:49:13 PM
Thanks Norman
Appreciate the help. Any way to get digit to show up in front of th
decimal with out typing it

Thanks Bob,
I will try this!! Will Let you know.

Chris

---

number setting for workbook e.g. i want , instead of . in number
I want my excel should display number in US format not i German format. How to change number display setting for whole excel file. Check out Start>Settings>Control Panel> Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options> Regional and Language Options>click 'Customize' button If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "Rajesh" wrote: > I want my excel should display number in US format not i German format. > > How to change number display setting for whole excel file. ...

Number cells won't reformat / sort
I'm dealing w/ a spreadsheet composed of cut-and-pasted rows from 2 sources (A and B) both originally exported from Filemaker at different times. When trying to sort the data by a "Record Number" field, the 2 datasets remain split and will not integrate. In other words, instead of the sort result being something like: # Code 1 WEX 3 WAF 4 WAF 6 WEX 7 WAF 9 WEX They look like this: # Code 1 WEX 6 WEX 9 WEX 3 WAF 4 WAF 7 WAF The 2 groups remain separate and sort individually. It gets stranger, though. If I reformat the column to, say, a percent or a currency r...

Message automatically deleted after opening
I am using Windows Mail in Vista 32 bit Home Premium. Recently I have been encountering a problem with my e-mails. I open an e-mail and close it after it is read. If I proceed to go to another folder and, then return to the Inbox, the message that I read is no longer there. It doesn't go to the Delete Folder or, any other folder that I have set up. Does anyone know why this is happening and, how I can fix it. Thanks. -- Floridaguy "Floridaguy" <Floridaguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53C48531-DCA8-45BE-8C65-97B19E28B977@microsoft.c...

Can Excel 2007 open a numbers file?
Just wondering if there's an add-in that will let Excel open a numbers file, thanks. What is a numbers file? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:17:01 -0800, fnight <fnight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Just wondering if there's an add-in that will let Excel open a numbers file, >thanks. fnight - If you're referring to Numbers, part of iWork for Mac computers, I am not aware of such an add-in. The usual workaround is to use Numbers to save the file in a format that Excel can open. The web page http://www.apple.com/iw...

Automatic Send/Receive When Closed
I have Outlook 2002 and it used to send and recieve when I was not in the program itself. It was actually kind of handy. A little mail icon would show up in the system try to let me know email was there. It was great when I was doing other work. It was also good becuase when I am at the office, I can download my email when I sync my mobile device with my computer. How do I get that back? Any ideas? ...

Number Format #14
Is there a way I can format a number so that significant 0's and a letter are conditional? I currently use: ?0"g" ?0"s" ?0"c" - which formats like so: 100000 = 10g 00s 00c 100010 = 10g 00s 10c 1000 = 0g 10s 00c What I wish to have is a code that formats like so: 101010 = 10g 10s 10c 10000 = 10s 10 = 10c 100010 = 10g 10c Is this possible? -- LoganStallworth ------------------------------------------------------------------------ LoganStallworth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27561 View this thre...

How to make a 'automatic mail rule installer'
Hi, I wrote a mail rule and want to distribute it to my friends. but I think it will be nicer if the mail rule can be installed with just one click. How can I make it? If 'visual script' is an answer, which object shoud I create? Or Where can I find the reference or sample? I'll be very appreciate if you give me just a hint. More explanation on my question. Maybe the expression 'wrote' in "I wrote a mail rule" is distracting. 'mail rule' means the rule which can be made through the menu 'tools' , which is usually used for filtering, forwar...

Money 2005
Option to start statement download when the program starts does not work. I have to manually click the circle with the arrows button. What is wrong with the setup? I think this may be a WinXP issue... I was using Money 2005 with Win98SE and automatic updates worked (or at least happened) but recently upgraded to WinXP SP2 and now I too have to manually click the "Update Now" option... I have also noticed that some settings do not get saved between Money sessions... for example, the Update Status Dialog that has the "Hide this window during update" checkbox... well...

editing cells automatically???
Why is it that some spreadsheets will not allow you to edit cells automatically when tabbing between windows? i.e. some spreadsheets will require you to double click in the cell to continue editing once you navigate away from that spreadsheet. Not too clear on your problem but............ Is it possible you have separate instances of Excel running with different editing options? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 13 May 2010 14:25:01 -0700, yogiiyogee <yogiiyogee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Why is it that some spreadsheets will not allow you to edit cell...

Additional Phone Number Fields
Outlook newbie... Is it possible to add additional phone number fields to Outlook 2007 contacts? Business and Business 2 already exist but I need Business 3, Business 4, etc. Can that be done. If so, how? Thanks. Peter "PMokover" <PMokover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69883331-CB5F-4BBC-9DD1-9B5A5D60BBF0@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to add additional phone number fields to Outlook 2007 > contacts? Business and Business 2 already exist but I need Business 3, > Business 4, etc. Can that be done. If so, how? You can ...

Re-order Number
Hi IS there anyway you can enter the re-order Number at the Matrix Stage of an Item, instead on every Item individually? If you enter it on the Purchase Order side it doesnt update the Individual item???? H ...

summing number of 'y's in a filtered column
Basically I have a spreadsheet which is filtered by column R and I wan to sum the number of 'Y's in column P based only on the visibl filtered table rather than hidden rows. Now I know the subtotal worksheet function will ignore hidden rows however it does not seem to be able to total up the number of 'Y's i the range of cells. The count function would sum up the number of 'y' but it counts the hidden columns as far as I know. Is there some other function which would allow me to sum the number o 'y's ignoring hidden rows -- neowo ---------------------------...

How do I get numbers on a colum to stay as I typed them on an exc.
I created a workbook with information to be used for merging to a letter. I created a heading colum to read "HOURS" and entered the numbers as 1:23. When I merged the files, the information showed at 1:23:00 A.M. How do I correct this on my workbook excel file or on the Word document? I do not want the numbers to be changed to time. Please help!!!!!! There's an article on the Microsoft web site that might help you: Answer Box: Numbers don't merge right in Word http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/assistance/HA011164951033.aspx Desperate School Secretary...

Dynamic "Numbered List"
How Can I update my numbered list (S.No) after Filtering the list? Like: 1. A 2. B 3. C 4. D After filter..... 1. A 2. B 3. D [C Filtered] Any Idea to get the result. Regards, Murtaza hi, Murtaza ! > ... update my numbered list (S.No) after Filtering the list? > Like: > 1. A > 2. B > 3. C > 4. D > After filter..... > 1. A > 2. B > 3. D [C Filtered] assuming [B2] as the first cell [in filtered-column]... try with subtotal-offset approach [by Laurent Longre] and copy-down... a) array-entered: {ctrl}+...

Activity Appointment Closed automatic
When I have an activity that is an appointment, it seems that there is an automatic mechanism that closes the activity next Day. So, users cannot change anything on that activity. All fields are disabled as it must be on a closed activity. But usually users, want to comment their appointments the next day they saw up at office. The only thing they can do is to add Notes, but this is not what they actually want to do. Is there any way to find and change the funtion that closes activities that are appointments next day after the scheduled time ? Regards Elias Kitsopoulos Login Ltd Software De...

how do i change the default number type which is formatted in new.
how do i change the default number type which is formatted in new spreadsheet Create a new workbook Change the Normal style (Format>Styles from the menu) to reflect your preferred number format. You can also change font style and size if your prefer. Save the workbook as a template - choosing File>Save As and select Template under the 'Save As Type' dropdown at the bottom, saving it with the name BOOK.XLT in the directory C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\XLStart\ If you have an older or newer version, you may not see the Office10 subdirectory, so adjust as appr...

Incident should be create automatically like c360 products
With any parameters or config, Incidents should be created automatically like EmailToCase c360 product. Thanks! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=7b9224b9-28b...

How to increase number of columns appear in a worksheet?
You only get 256 columns with any released version of excel. Dhinesh wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

number to name
I want to do my schedule with Excell, and I was wondering if it's possible to type a number and get a name instead... for example if on the 3rd of february, Mark is working, and that I associate the number 1 to Mark. is there a way that if I type "1" under the 3rd of february, that converts it directly to Mark? thanks Gaetan Bart, Using event code you can do it Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("B2:H10")) Is Nothing Then With Target ...

6000 -> 6K. Possible with number formats?
Hi all, Is it possible to set a number format code in cell in such a way that, when say, 6,500 is typed, then 6.5K will be shown? Thanks for your advice in advance. Frederick Chow Hong Kong Format the cell as #,##0.0,K -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "Frederick Chow" <PleaseRemoveThishkmusc@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eo4iZS59GHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > Is it possible to set a number format code in cell in such a way that, when > say, 6,500 is typed, then 6.5K will be shown?...

Automatic refresh grid
When our support people are trying to monitor queues it is not very practical to expect them to continue pressing the refresh button every few minutes. Is there any method to automatically refresh the grid? Any help would be greatly appricated This is not supported way. http://localhost/workplace/home_workplace.aspx if you look at the code in that page and the code below you will see the line of code used to force the page to refresh eveyr 5 seconds. Note that modifying pages like this is unsupported. Inherits="Microsoft.Crm.Web.Workplace.HomeWorkplacePage" CodeBehind="M...

numbering macro
In a database of say 10 columns and 100 rows, how do I record a macro that will o Insert a new column to the left of column A, then o in the new column A, number the rows that contain data in column B. Note: The numbering should start from 1. Since row 1 has the database heading & row 2 has the column headings, the numbering (no. 1) should start from row 3 and continue down to the last row that has data in column B. Columns("A:A").Insert For i = 1 to 100 If Cells(i,"B").Value <> "" Then Cells(i,"A&q...

counting numbers 04-09-10
Hi All, I have a Query like This. Pls Give your Suggestions. DATA: anil 0 sunil 1 anil 1 sunil 0 anil 1 sunil 0 Ans: Anil 2 Sunil 1 I need to count the numbers against name which number is more that 0. Regards, Anil. Maybe this =SUMIF(A1:A6,"Anil",B1:B6) -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "showry" wrote: > Hi All, > > I have a Query like This. Pls Give your Suggestions. >...

Displaying Text, not numbers, in Pivot Table
Hello all. I posted this in the general section but I think it also could apply to here since I am new with using Pivot Tables. Currently I have a database in excel which has been made into a pivot table. It is just a simple catalog of some books. The row fields are organized as category, field, sub field and then title. The data items are a brief summary, catalog number, and where the book is currently located (in the office or someone else has it). My problem is all of the items in the data field are currently being displayed as numbers, which are all 1s since it gets that specific with t...

get lowest positive number
I have a cell that has number ranges from -37 to 88, what is the formula to show the lowest positive number. Thank You try this. It is an array formula so must be entered/edited with ctrl+shift+enter and will not work on full columns. =MIN(IF(D1:D100>0,D1:D100)) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Tommy" <Tommy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D97567B8-E81D-48A6-B6F8-1B8CFF668646@microsoft.com... > I have a cell that has number ranges from -37 to 88, what is the formula to > show the lowest positive number. > > Thank You No...