number of fields exceeds 256 when importing from a dbf file

Hey evryone,

I'm having a small problem with importing some old data from a FileMaker Pro
database. According to what I found out in the groups archive the best bet is
to convert it to a dbf file and then import it. However, I the number of
fields in the dbf file exceeds 256, so the import wizard truncates the import
at field number 256.

I would now want to spread the data over two sheets. However, in the process
of converting it to a dbf, quite a few of the field names get truncated and
therefore have the same name, so I can't use SQL to retrieve them. My
question is: what is my next best bet?

Thanks in adavnce for any and all help

Chris
0
Chris6982 (632)

One way- maybe? Import from Filemaker to MS Access, and then divvy up
the resulting "master" table into one table that has 256 columns and a
second table that holds the remaining columns.

0
CycleZen (674)
7/14/2005 6:06:58 PM
Dave,

The maximum number of fields in a table in Access 2002 is 255.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Dave O" <CycleZen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> One way- maybe? Import from Filemaker to MS Access, and then divvy up
> the resulting "master" table into one table that has 256 columns and a
> second table that holds the remaining columns.

0
someone798 (944)
7/14/2005 6:28:19 PM

> The maximum number of fields in a table in Access 2002 is 255.
> --

And even if that did work, the fields by the same name prevent the importing
into Access. I've tried that.
Oh, and whatever genius programmed the FileMaker db locked me from viewing
the table schema, so I more or less _have_ to rely on a dbf file.
0
Chris6982 (632)
7/14/2005 7:56:04 PM
Does Filemaker allow you to export to text?  Can you write code for
Filemaker as you can for Access, and write your own export routine?
Got any old copies of dBase III+ laying around?

0
CycleZen (674)
7/14/2005 8:49:43 PM
Does Filemaker allow you to export to text?  Can you write code for
Filemaker as you can for Access, and write your own export routine?
Got any old copies of dBase III+ laying around?

0
CycleZen (674)

Mailing address fields
I have 4 address fields in database But not need to use all of them every time. How can I remove (eg address2 ) and shift the other fields (eg suburb and city) up a slot . I dont want to have gaps in the address label header. There's a report wizard that will lay your address lables out correctly for you. Essentially, you set the Can Shrink property of the text box to Yes. If it is null, the text box then shrinks vertically as if it were zero-height (provided there are no other things beside it that prevent this.) The Detail section also has a Can Shink property. If you want the ...

mapping between two lookup fields
Can we map the values of two lookup fields between two entities? For example mapping the data from lookup field “primary contact” [ contact entity] to lookup field “account manager” [ account entity]. So that i can view the value of primary contact in account manager. any condition ? ...

How to copy number NOT equation
How do you copy the number in a cell not the equation? I need to compare a lot of data which I got from calculations but don't want to have to import all that data just to get a few plots. -- jimbo_jones ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jimbo_jones's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27244 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=494122 Try: Copy > Paste special > Check "Values" > OK -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/p...

Deleting characters in text fields
I have a table of data where the quantity is stored as a text value. Before I convert it to a number value I need to delete some of the characters. Most of the values appear like this: 25.000- but some appear as 5- with no decimal points. Is there a way to to strip out all characters to the left of the decimal point so that 25.000- ends up as 25? Or is there a way just to strip out the " - " character to get 25.000? Thanks, Sean Sean, You can strip out the "-" by using the Replace command: Replace("25.000-", "-", "") Taking every...

Help!! sort address field by street, then number??
Is there a way to accomplish this feat?? cell data "7004 Brookville Rd" need the file by street name , then by number. All suggestions deeply appreciated. Keef If you're lucky you could use Data|Text to columns. To separate pieces into individual columns. But I've never been lucky enough to get 100% -- lots of manual effort may be required. Keefer wrote: > > Is there a way to accomplish this feat?? > cell data > "7004 Brookville Rd" > need the file by street name , then by number. > > All suggestions deeply appreciated. > > Keef...

isv.config file
We have altered the isv.config file to show additional tabs and buttons in the CRM forms. These tabs and buttons show and work fine in the web client but are not available to the sales for outlook client. They do not show in Outlook. Should this customisation show in the sales for outlook client? Thanks, Brett if you look in your _resources directory under wwwroot on the crm web server you will see a file called OutlookClient_sample.xml you use this file for the outlook client config file. so you duplicate anything in isv.config to this file and call it i think OutlookClient.config -- ...

Changing the fields the LOOK FOR facility uses
Hi, Ive had a good look round the system and dont think this is possible, just wondered if anybody else has any ideas. The issue is as follows :- If I go to the default cases view (All Cases), I can see all cases against all accounts. I would like to be able to Look For all or part of an account name (or potentially other fields) to quickly filter this list. Is it possible to alter or add the fields that the Look For facilty will use to return results? or Can an advanced find use take arguments? Cheers Dan Hi, Go to Settings - Customization, and customize the Case enti...

Renaming Files
I have a great number of files labeled with a first name followed by a last name and a date. I need to switch the file names and save them as Last Name First Name followed by the date? Any suggestion on how to do this? Is there a character which separates the names, like space or underscore? Maybe.... If your file names are 3 parts each separated by a space: John Smith 12022005.xls Something like this might work: Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim wkbk As Workbook Dim myFileNames As Variant Dim NewFileName As String Dim iCtr As Long Dim lCtr As Long Dim myName A...

How to copy iPhone SMS to TXT file on computer?
[url=http://www.backup-iphone-sms.com/how-to-copy-iphone-sms-to-txt-file.html][b]How to copy iPhone SMS to TXT file with iPhone SMS Backup software on computer?[/b][/url]What is .txt file: .txt is a filename extension for files consisting of text usually contain very little formatting (ex: no bolding or italics). Files with the .txt extension can easily be read or opened by any program that reads text and, for that reason, are considered universal (or platform independent).With Tansee iPhone Transfer SMS, you can [b]backup iPhone SMS to PC as a txt[/b] file and keep them safe. [b]Guide of how ...

Find byte pattern in file (still desperate for solution)
I'm still desperately looking for a solution to this question. I need a very intelligent way to find an array of bytes within a file, but not only that preferably a regex expression of sorts. For example my database has around 50,000 regex entries such as "FFFF.*BB0403.*FF" that I want to turn into a byte array then search for. I understand how to go about writing my own code for this, however it is a little over my head when we're dealing with searching so many patterns against many files while trying to be speedy about the operation. Does anyone have any g...

Number formatting issues
An ongoing issue I have had is with one of the columns in the reports I am accessing. One of the fields I access has a numbers in it such as "063740285007037" but when they are copied and pasted into another sheet "6.37403E+13" is displayed. Is there any way to correct this after the data has been pasted? Thank you for your help. Change the number format of that range. Select the range to fix Format|cells|Number tab|custom category type: 000000000000000 (as many as you need to keep the leading 0's) Or maybe you could paste a second time: Edit|Paste special|p...

Benifits of tracking number on email subject line
According to the Techknowledge article https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/techknowledge.aspx turning off the tracking number results in the loss of the Microsoft CRM system's ability to automatically track incoming e-mail. Can someone please explain which trcking functionality are we loosing here ? What are the other benifits of having the tracking number ? Thanks. Sorry, I didn't give the right link. http://mbs.microsoft.com/techknowledge/techknowledge.asp? id=34747&target=PS Document ID: 34747 >-----Original Message----- >According to the Techknowledge arti...

importing statements #2
I'm getting an error when trying to import my bank statement. It reads "A transaction in the QIF file has a date that could not be resolved and therefore was not recorded into your Money file. Check your Regional Settings in the Windows Control Panel to make sure they match the date format of the QIF file, and then try importing the file again." Please help! Thanks ...

Extender and SOP master number
I have created an Extender window linked to the Sales Transaction Entry window. At first the key field was the SOP Number but then I realized the information won't transfer when the Order is transferred to an Invoice. How can I link the Extender window to the master number instead? In the key field selection, I do not see it in the list. Is this possible? Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks. -Joe ...

Deleting Rows Automatically using a Text File List
I have a text file list of .jpg files that I want to delete (rows) from Excel. The list has 800+ items in it. Deleting these rows one at a time in Excel (after doing a "find") is terribly time consuming. Does anyone know how to make Excel read my text file and delete the rows with that filename in it (automatically). The filename (listed in the text file) is in a column (in my excel sheet) called "filename". Any help would be most appreciated!!! Seriously! I may have to spend hours on this otherwise! Thank you, Arielle -- mirdonamy ------------------------------...

RE: Check out this important package from M$
--ymlnvvfgmuljc Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="dojsubxijhqfgbi"; type="multipart/alternative" --dojsubxijhqfgbi Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="baxgpvgkfadysvrwp" --baxgpvgkfadysvrwp Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft User this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help protect your computer from thes...

Formula Error
I have a list of codes in F$19:F$1500. I was attempting to use the following code to assign a number to each unique value in the list and repeat the previously assigned number if it is duplicated. This works for the first 15-20 numbers, but returns an error (#n/a) afterwards as if the code stopped working. I have tried EVERYTHING... Same result each time. =IF(COUNTIF($F$18:F19,F19)>1,VLOOKUP(F19,F$18:G18,2,FALSE),MAX($G $18:G18)+1) Any clues? My guess... =countif() treats everything as text. So the text string ="1" (or '1) will be counted as a match as well as the num...

Export Excel file to SQL
I'm currently doing a project where it require client to export excel spreadsheets to SQL. the application that is using the excel spreadsheet exported is a web-based application. Is it possible to do that? Any suggestion or recommendation is greatly appreciated. thank you Go to Enterprise Manager. Browse to your database in the left pane (object browser). Right click your database. All Tasks --> Import Data. Next. Set your datasource to Microsoft Excel 97-2000 or whichever Excel version you have. Click the ... button next to the File Name text box and browse to your Excel sheet. M...

Can i use Windows Search to find a number within Excel?
If i use Widnows search of the CONTENTS of files (not file names), i find in Excel, that for cells that contain text, they can be found. But, it does not appear to me that numbers can be found. Of course the number as Excel stores it may differ from how it is displayed. But, does anybody know if this is possible? For instance, i have a cell with the number 3,709,227 in it, as it appears in Excel (as formatted). I tried typing the number both with and without the commas, into WIndows search, but Windows search still does not find the Excel file that contains that number. So, any kn...

Insert Extender Field
I had used GP Extender to add a few fields to the GP 10 Customer Maintenance screen. All was fine until I tried inserting a field in between two other fields. Now everything is offset. If I look at the field values I can see all the correct and complete values. However, when I go to the customer maintenance screen and try to view them that way, they are all cut off. Is it possible to insert a new field in between two previously exisiting fields? I just noticed what it is really doing. In all of the fields after the newly inserted field it is only showing me the first character. I...

Importing a CSV file
I want to import a file into physical inventory. Here is what I do: 1) Run a Quantity report(I don't think the report really matters) 2) I put it in alphabetical order, then I export it using RMS Manager into a ..CSV file 3) I go into Inventory > Physical Inventory, and I click on New and Manuel Entry 4) I import the file...it works just fine!!! BUT If you in any way alter the .CSV file, and save it again, in the same format Steps 1 - 4 won't work...WHY WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG??? -- Thank You Vince :) The problem might be the Item Lookup Codes are being modified by ...

Theme Files
I am attempting to make a theme file that will work on any computer that I want it to. So far I have made it work on my computer. When opened on other computers it only does some of what I want it to do. Anything anyone could suggest would be great. Themes are not part of Access, they are part of Windows. Your question may be better answered in a newsgroup appropriate to your problem. This newsgroup is dedicated to the Microsoft Access database product. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Nathan Ri...

if the cell value exceeds the limit to have a dialog box appear
Is there a way that, if the cell value exceeds a certain limit, a dialog box would appear? Thanks for any assistance. Dave Check Data Validation: Select the cells Data>Data Validation Allow: (check out the number options: whole number, decimal, etc) Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron "Dschro" wrote: > Is there a way that, if the cell value exceeds a certain limit, a dialog box > would appear? > > Thanks for any assistance. > > Dave > Ron, Here's the scenario -- on an Expense Report: If an employee was to fill in any amount in the &...

Outlook Express creates a File on my desktop
ok i dont know if anyone else is getting this problem but when ever i run outlook express it creates a file on my desktop named "~". it has done this since new, and ive seen it on one other computer as well. is there a way to stop this from happening?? cause deleting the file everytime is getting tiresome...if anyone knows how to fix this please let me know. ty Shawn <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > ok i dont know if anyone else is getting this problem but > when ever i run outlook express it creates a file on my > desktop named "~". ...

How to format number with mixed number and text?
I put the following formula into a cell: =6.65+0.15&" lb". It did what I intended, namely: add the numbers and display the result with the tag, i.e. "6.8 lb". However, the Number format seems to have no effect on the displayed result. For example, if Decimal Places is 2, the above result is still "6.8 lb", not "6.80 lb". I get more decimal places only if they are "needed". For example, =6.65+0.1511&" lb" displays 4 decimal places, even if the Number format is 2 decimal places. How can I control the format of the numeric ...