Number Format Problem Prevents Proper Sorting

I have a long list of numbers that were exported from anothe
application that I can't seem to format properly to sort in ascendin
order.  I have changed the format from General to Number and back wit
no success.  I'm sure that this is an easy fix, but I'm not seeing th
answer.  The third entry below (1103) should be toward the top of th
list.  Any ideas?

65Stan
65Stang's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1500
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27567

Hi,
First make a copy of your workbook so that any changes made don't destroy
your original if things don't look correct.  It looks like these numbers were
imported as text.  First look to see if there is a ' in front of the number.
If so, do a find and replace with "".  Make sure that the column is formated
as number.  Should that fail, consider inserting a helper column and paste
and copy this formula down the length of the column =VALUE(a1).
Then copy and paste special - values over the original data.  Eliminate your
helper column. Then re-sort.

"65Stang" wrote:

> I have a long list of numbers that were exported from another
> application that I can't seem to format properly to sort in ascending
> order.  I have changed the format from General to Number and back with
> no success.  I'm sure that this is an easy fix, but I'm not seeing the
> answer.  The third entry below (1103) should be toward the top of the
> list.  Any ideas?
>

> 110272
> 110277
> 1103
> 110329
> 110338
> 110339
>

> --
> 65Stang
> 65Stang's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15008
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=275679

0
mzehr1 (59)

Add Invoice Number to Report
I have created a delivery table that contains all of the usual fields , Pickup, Delivery, Billing, NoPeices, Weight... etc. The table is updated with current delivery information daily. At the end of the week I create a report grouped on Billing customer that prints an invoice with all of the unprinted deliveries the customer is paying for... the report works fine. What I need to figure out is how to assign a unique invoice number (autonumber) to the report that will be associated with each Billing customer for that print period. Can I somehow generate a unique number at the time I ...

Problems with public folders #2
I am having two problems which may or may not be related. 1) In System Manager when I try to view or work with the public folder tree, I get the following error "The token supplied to the function is invalid", ID no:80090308. I cannot see any public folders or manage them at all after that. 2) Whenever anyone clicks on send/receive in outlook 2003, they get the following error "Task 'Microsoft Exchange Server' reported error (0x8004010F):'The operation failed. An object could not be found.'" Does anyone have an idea of what the problem is for either...

how to select multiple text boxes in excel for formatting
I am trying to select multiple text boxes for formatting the font but seem unable to select all of them other than to click on each one individually. Is there an easy way to select all of the text boxes at once? To select multiple objects on the sheet -- Click on one object Hold the Ctrl key, and click on additional objects To select all the objects on the sheet -- Choose Edit>Go To, click Special Select Objects, click OK Or, to work with specific objects, you can add the 'Select Multiple Objects' tool to one of your toolbars: Choose Tools>Customize Select the Commands tab...

Add SafePay footer record for date and account number
Union Bank of California has a Positive Pay format that requests a footer record for each day and account number. So if you transmit checks issued on two dates for a single account, the SafePay file would have two footer records--one for each date. Currently, I am only able to create a footer by account, totalling all checks issued for that account (regardless of date), and attributing that total to the Issue Date in the footer record. Union Bank reads the issue date on the footer, and sees that the checks issued on that date do not match the footer total, causing them to consider th...

assign numeric value to letters and sum with other numbers
I apologize if I am duplicating an earlier question, but I can't find the answer. How do I sum a row or column that has numbers and letters by giving the letters a numerical equivalent? -- WJG On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 12:19:01 -0800, Galadad <Galadad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I apologize if I am duplicating an earlier question, but I can't find the >answer. How do I sum a row or column that has numbers and letters by giving >the letters a numerical equivalent? Could you give an example of input and expected output. Lars-�ke Just guessing...

GUID/Outlook format link giving error "Unable to open the seleted folder or item"
Hi, I have created custom forms in multiple public Outlook folders and when I send the GUID type link to the user, they receive an error: "Unable to open the seleted folder or item". The same happens if I send the Outlook type link. However, if I ask the user to go to the folder and find the appropriate posting, then the form opens and after that the link works, too. Is this due to some Exchange server setting? My clients are not the type that tolerate opening the form the long way, they want a one click solution. Please help, this is driving my team crazy. Any ideas are welcome...

Problem in Setting up CRM server
Hi We are trying to install CRM server. but we getting following error message and we don't know the reason for this. Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.GrantDatabaseAccessAction failed. ---> Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.SetupException: Setup could not complete this action. This might be due to the fact that there are multiple Domain Controllers and they have not replicated new Microsoft CRM information yet. If this is the case you have several options: 1. Go to the domain controller and manually force synchronization. 2. Wait 15 minutes (typically) until the domain controller synchron...

Problems with address books
I've had to re-install outlook '97 a couple of times to sort out some problems. Now I find that contacts isn't the default mail list. That's to say when I want to send an email the list of people is from an old address book and not from the contact list I have in front of me! How do I make sure that when I want to send an email or fax that I'm presented with a choice from my contact list? How can I safely delete the old address books which are now a waste of space? Peter ...

Money '04
I'm trying to use the 'Money Browser' w/in MSN Money 2004 and get "Page Cannot Be Displayed" or sometimes "Action Cancelled", but I can surf the web just fine with my cable modem...what's up with that? I've read on this forum that other users are having difficulties w/ this particular issue, any resolution would be helpful. I've tried: regsvr32 msxml3.dll in start|run also have un-installed and re-installed cookies enabled ...

sort data without changing pattern
I have a worksheet where every other row has a 'pattern' in it to help make it easier to read across the spreadsheet. The problem I'm running into is as I add new rows at the bottom of the spreadsheet and then resort them into their correct place, the patterns go with the sort and now the patterns have to be redone again the get them back to every other row. Any suggestions? This will happen if your patterns are manually applied. It would be better to remove that manual shading and to apply background colours using conditional formatting, the condition being if th...

Add phone number to quote report.
Hey guys, My retail staff asked me if it is possible to add the customer phone number to the Quote summary or Quote detailed report. Does anyone know what changes need to be made to the report to make this happen. I know I will have to change the query and add a join statement to get it from the customer record but am unable to figure out how to do it. Any ideas? Thanks, Nevermind, I figured it out myself. Thanks anyway. <nick@realkiteboarding.com> wrote in message news:BhKXd.15130$GO5.11570@fe07.lga... > Hey guys, > > My retail staff asked me if it is possible to a...

problems with toolbar-can't access certan commands i.e.hyperlink
can't access some commands - was working fine - now some commands are in grey - the commands disappeared from the pull down in the commands bar. Help magnus wrote: > can't access some commands - was working fine - now some commands are in grey > - the commands disappeared from the pull down in the commands bar. The hyperlink option may only appear when you are creating a Web Publication in certain versions of Publisher. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org Trial version? You may have run out of time. Some pulldowns only work when you are creating a ...

Word problems 2003 and 2007 version
hey everyone both on my main computer and my brothers laptop word isnt working! its so annoying! on my desktop PC i have windows xp and word 2003. after getting a virus which stopped the internet from working i had to do a system restore - which got rid of the virus. but when i click on word it says that "this shortcut only applies to installed products", and when i go to word through program files it says "this product is not installed on this user" - but there is no setup thing i can press - will i need the disc maybe? on my bro's laptop he got the sa...

Sorting Multiple Sheets
I have a workbook with multiple sheets. The main sheet has 2 columns, 1 for first name, 1 for last name. The remaining sheets all have formulas to pull the first and last names automatically from the 1st sheet. If a user sorts the names on the first sheet, they will sort on subsequent sheets, but the information that goes with those names on subsequent sheets will not be included in the sort, thereby misplacing information. Is there anyway to remedy this, short of sorting each sheet each time there is an addition to any one sheet? ...

Problem exporting/importing .psf
Hi guys, I searched the community before and couldn't find anything regarding this issue. I am trying to export an Outlook 2000 mailbox from one user account to another. However, when I try and import it, I get the message saying that "Personal Folders "Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use". I have looked up solutions for this and they say to make sure its not read only. I tried this and it doesnt work, its currently NOT read only. Please note: This is a computer where the Outlook folder source for the export is on a user account no...

StretchDIBits problem with 16-bit (65536) colours
hello all, when the color-palette from the windows-desktop (properties) is set to 16-bit (65536), the print preview does not show the bitmaps properly. I guess the ::StretchBlt(...)/::StretchDIBits(...)/::BitBlt(...) don't work properly. the bitmap is divided in 2 parts, the right (1/3 from the bitmap) is put on the left place and the left is displaced to the right. at all the other color-settings there's no problem: 8-bit, 24-bit... any ideas? thanx a lot, tschu. the code: BOOL CDib::Draw(CDC* pDC, CPoint origin, CSize size) { if(m_lpBMIH == NULL) return FALSE; if(m_hPalette !...

new document and framework problem
Hi, I have a dialog I need to display at the start of a new document in my SDI app. My problem is the first time through, it will show before the app is drawn. Where should I put a call to run the dialog if I want to be sure to only do so after the app is initially drawn? I currently use a check in the view's OnDraw, but I'm hoping someone else who knows the framework better has a better idea. Thanks, scott I don't think OnDraw is appropriate at all because that gets called all the time. How about OnInitialUpdate? -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits http://www.softcircuits....

Conditional Formatting #27
I have a range of cells that I want to use conditional formatting on. I want the largest number in the range to be formatted or Highlighted or something like that. The conditions listed really don't seem to apply since the number may be different each time so I can't say for certain that the number WILL BE ....whatever. I just want to highlight the biggest number as compared to the rest in the range. Maybe i need to use a couple of different functions. Please let me know. Dave French Office XP Pro Select your range (say A1:C22) With A1 the activecell format|conditional form...

Conditinal Format Not Working
I am trying to get a field to turn red if the condition is "High" I tried using the conditional formatting and it does not work. I also tried using the below vba code and this does not work either. I tried it in the after update procedure and the on current procedure with no luck. Could this be an Access bug? Private Sub Critical_AfterUpdate() If Me.Critical = "High" Then Me.Critical.ForeColor = vbRed End If End Sub Dee, Is Critical a manually entered text control? Or a Combo... or a List? Is it bound to a text field? Details please... Yo...

Number Format Problem Prevents Proper Sorting
I have a long list of numbers that were exported from anothe application that I can't seem to format properly to sort in ascendin order. I have changed the format from General to Number and back wit no success. I'm sure that this is an easy fix, but I'm not seeing th answer. The third entry below (1103) should be toward the top of th list. Any ideas? 110272 110277 1103 110329 110338 11033 -- 65Stan ----------------------------------------------------------------------- 65Stang's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1500 View this threa...

Conditional formatting for groups
I have an Excel list where the first column identifies a group, like 1 1 1 3 4 4 6 6 6 Now I want to color the rows of the groups alternating for better readability. Group 1 (the rows starting with 1) - red Group 2 (the rows starting with 3) - blue Group 3 (the rows starting with 4) - red Group 4 (the rows starting with 6) - blue ....and so on The numbers in this list are not in sequence and have gaps. The number of rows belonging to a group differs from group to group. Any smart and experienced guy out there who can help? Requires a helper column... 1. Assuming your groups are in col. B, ...

Format Cells Date (or any change) not working on imported data
Hello, I've just spent ages researching this and not come up with what I need to be able to do. I have a worksheet for some simple data that has been imported, a date, text and number column (as they display graphically to the end user). All are a "general" format when using Format > Cells. The issue I have is that the date information is in an American date format and I would like to change them into a UK date format. Format > Cells and selecting any option (including custom and special) makes no changes to the imported data. I have seen the work arounds whereby you sp...

CRM 4.0 VPC Problem
I downloaded CRM 4.0 VPC, extracted them, and I got MSDYCRM40VPC_BASE.vhd. After I create a new virtual machine for this vhd, I got an message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device" when I clicked Start. So, it have not brought me to WINDOW LOGIN SCREEN. Anyone had this CRM 4.0 VPC worked, please help me how to get it work to get away from a message above. Thanks and Appreciations -Toi "Toi Day" <ToiDay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50BF3D76-10D8-4CF0-90BC-EFF8E0D925A0@microsoft.com... > I...

JWalk Chart Tools series label problem
I am using John Walkenbach's "JWalk Chart Tools" add-in to label a data series with values from other cells. (I want percentages as data labels even though the series is charted as actual values.) The two cells I'm using to label the two points in my series are not next to each other, if this is important. I CTRL-click the two cells and they are listed in the selection window with a comma, like this: 'Source data'!$D$8, 'Source data'!$AG$8 . This looks good to me. But while the values in D8 and AG8 are 5.33% and 5.16%, the labels show up as 5.33% and 21.93% B...

Problems with CListCtrl
I'm having trouble with a CListCtrl object. I'm trying to automatically set the selected items of the list from my code. I try the following statement: m_List.SetItem (pos, 0, LVIF_STATE, NULL, 0, LVIS_SELECTED, LVIS_SELECTED, 0); The SetItem function returns non-zero, which supposedly means it was successful. However, I don't see any selection showing up. I even called RedrawItem on this list item, but it didn't help either. Anyone know about this? -Eric >I'm having trouble with a CListCtrl object. I'm trying to automatically >set the selected ite...