no warning file in use

Hi.  I've got a question about a shared Excel file stored on Windows 2000
server.  This file is accessed by two different Windows XP end users running
Excel 2002 on their machines.  Recently these two different end users have
been accessing the same shared Excel file simultaneously without the usual
file lock or warning that the file is in use.  Sometimes they get the
warning, sometimes not.  When they don't, they assume they have rights to
save to the file, only to find later on that their changes were not saved.

I'm having both check for updates so that their Microsoft software is current.

Any clues what's going on?
0
LisaK (8)

Unfortunately this isn't a reply with a fix.

However I have been able to replicate this issue somewhat.

Lets say there are two files stored a the Windows 2000 server share.. FileA
which is just some random excel file, and File B is commonly opened by two
users on different computers.

If the first user opens FileA, THEN opens FileB AFTER FileA has been loaded.
The second user on another computer can then open FileB without receiving the
warning. Note that this does not happen 100% of the time but MOST of the time.

I have reversed the files and it makes no difference. (FileB is opened
first, then open FileA and it isn't locked properly). It seems the second and
subsequent files are not being locked properly. This eliminates any issues
with the files. The timestamps on the files DO change after the first user
opens both files, which is an indication of Excel attempting to the lock the
files.

I am running Windows XP Machines with XP 2 and fully hotfixed to the latest
hotfixes, and Excel 2002 SP3 with all the Excel updates. I have tried on a
Windows Server 2000 with SP3 and one with SP4 and both file servers exhibit
the same issue.

Copying two excel files to the local hard disk of the Windows XP machine
shows the file locking properly. Also copying them to a share on a Windows
2003 (no SP1) server also shows the file locking properly.
0
Gus (24)

Need to import EDI file
Hello. I have an EDI TS-130 file (academic transcript) that I would like to import into Access 2003. Is this possible to do for free? If so, how? ...

Using CImage?
I am trying to use CImage for the first time. I give the code schematically below. CImage::Save() is not working for me. Am I missing some important step? The HRESULT indicates an unknown error. (Stepping through image.Save(), I see it succeeding until the last step Gdiplus::Bitmap bm( m_hBitmap, NULL ); status = bm.Save( pwszFileName, &clsidEncoder, NULL ); which fails.) ================ The code: Schematically I have HBITMAP hBitmap = ......; // I then call a debugging routine which displays the bitmap // in a dialogue: it looks ok. // I now want to save it as a GIF T...

How to use only half DIN A 4
Tengo que confeccionar nuevas listas de precios para mi negocio, las cuales van introducidas dentro de un soporte de plástico. La medida de las listas es de la mitad de din A4. Tengo hecha la plantilla en din A4 mediante Publisher y no se como reducirlo a la mitad. Puede alguien ayudarme por favor? Trabajar con texto http://office.microsoft.com/es-hn/assistance/CH062524573082.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "Kat...

Copying recordset multiple times using copyfromrecordset
We recently caught this issue but found out after research, that this has been occuring all year. This code worked in the past, but I am not sure if there was an Excel update that occurred which changed the behavior of the script. What we are trying to do is to have a recordset pasted twice into two seperate worksheets. It is pasting without issue in the first copyfromrecordset, but then it skips over the second paste (even when stepping through the code). I know that it is not the worksheet we are copying into because I can reverse the 'first paste/second paste' (see lab...

picture manager uses incorrect printer as default
Picture does not use the default printer but defaults to the fax. ...

problems in creating file dialog in tab control
Hi,I am creating a tab control and want to pop up a file dialog when clicking one tab page. but now, the file dialog was shown up at the same time with tab control, not after selecting one page. Could some guys help me? Thanks David GetClientRect(hwndParent,&rcClient); InitCommonControls(); hwndTabCtrl=CreateWindow(WC_TABCONTROL,"", WS_CHILD|WS_CLIPSIBLINGS|WS_VISIBLE,0,0,rcClient.right,rcClient.bottom,hwndParent,NULL,g_hinst,NULL); if(hwndTabCtrl==NULL) AfxMessageBox("can't create tab control window"); m_tcitem.mask=TCIF_TEXT|TCIF_IMAGE; m_tcitem.iIma...

Full path of a file in a VS2005 project?
How do you check the dir path of any of the files (.cpp. .h, etc) included in any of the VisualStudio2005 projects? The best way to find out would be in the Solution Explorer, normally on the left side, position on the file name, right click and select Properties. But there is no hint anywhere about the full path location. On Jul 2, 1:55 pm, "mar...@hotmail.com" <mar...@hotmail.com> wrote: > How do you check the dir path of any of the files (.cpp. .h, etc) > included in any of the VisualStudio2005 projects? > > The best way to find out would be in the Solution Ex...

Uncheck "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" by default
http://www.vistax64.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1136177 Andrew;1136177 Wrote: > If I right click on a file there is usually the option to"Open with..". > Selecting this option list possible programs with which to open the > application and, below this, there is a check box labelled "always use > the > selected program to open this kind of file". The check box is always > checked, so clicking on OK permanently associates the selected program > with > the file type in question. > > However, I usually use this option to op...

Excel shutting down when opening file
This is a follow up from a previous post. When opening a specific file with excel 2003, Excel will immediately shut down. When I re-open Excel it shows the file in the recovery box. When trying to recover the file it gives a message that file damage is too extensive to repair. I have no problem opening other Excel files. I also have Excel 2003 operating on three other computers and they do not have any problem opening the same file. I have started Excel in safe mode and tried to open the file but I get the same problem. I have started Windows XP in safe mode and then opened Exce...

Cannot send mail using either port 25 or 587
I don't understand why this has only recently been happening but I cannot send mail using smtp in ol 2003. I am trying to send using my Yahoo account but the send receive says that it is sending messages that are not actually in the outbox, e.g (bottom rh corner of screen sending 2 of 3 messages when there are no messages there to send) then after a short while it says error send receive. My ISP is BT and apparently they block port 25 so I changed the port settings (as recommended by Yahoo) to port 587 but I still cannot send from within outlook. I have configured my e mail accou...

trouble connecting to Exchange 2003 using Outlook 97 Exchange Server Service
hello, this is my setup I have one Active Directory domain containing two AD Sites, configured through AD Sites and Services, Site one is the local LAN on the 192.168.x.x subnet, Site two is a remote site in a datacentre on the public-facing 87.127.x.x subnet - the two sites are connecting via VPN on Sonicwall firewalls the VPN connection is solid - and commuications from Site one to Site two is fine, and vice versa netdiag and dcdiag from both sides report no problems My Exchange Server is in Site two, along with a DC/GC and appears to be working fine (still in testing phase), OWA works...

Why can't I see my Outlook Archive files
Hello XP home 2003 I set up the auto archive per instructions to include seperate instructions for deleted files. The prompt appears every 14 days and I say yes. The auto archive system set up a folder on my E:\Documents volume called: archive.pst which shows 144KB and Archive folders on my folder list. When I select any of the archive folders they all appear empty. The deleted file function works fine. Does anyone have an opinon of whats going on? Thanks. 144kb doesn't sound big enough to hold much data. Have you told Outlook to archive items older than 1 month, 2 months, or wh...

Change Headers That Exchange Uses To Deliver Mail?
When someone sends a BCC mail to recipients in my domain, the TO: header field is blank and as a result, the message is getting dumped into my badmail and a copy is going to the postmaster in my domain. It turns out that our ISP has some kind of SPAM filter that parses the BCC content prior to delivery to me and places the intended recipients in a new header called: X-NETSCAN-TO: Is there a way to tell my exchange server to use the contents of that new header to determine the recipients in addition to the normal TO: header which works the rest of the time? So, have it check TO: and X...

pre-windows 2000 logon name __ is already in use
We are trying to roll out Exchange Server 2000 at our office but we are having a problem creating a very important account we have on our old mail server (service@) When we try to create the user "service" we get the following error msg: "windows cannot create the new user object becuase the pre-windows 2000 logon name service is already in use. select another name, and then try again" I assume that this is reserved word or something for AD user accounts. We need to be able to send and receive emails w/ "service@", how can we get this to work on exhange...

How to change decimal separators when importing text (csv) files?
I have a problem importing text files into Excel 2007. I'm currently working on a German version of Excel 2007 running on a German version of Windows XP Pro. Whenever I try to import data from a text file (csv), every number with a decimal separator is recognized as text. This clearly is because of the decimal separators. The csv files use points to separate decimals, whereas this German Windows is used to separate decimals using commas. Although the text import wizard allows me to select what type of decimal and thousands separators are to be used, the separators are always reset to th...

Can't download large files using IE
I am unable to download large files ( 2 to 6 GB) from a web site using Internet Explorer but I am able to download using Firefox. I have various issues with IE 6 and IE7. With IE6, a partial file was downloaded of siz 1.65 GB instead of 6 GB. No error - just an incomplete file. I've been told IE has a limit on the size of files it can download. Does anyone know what that limit is and is there a way to change or disable it? Or any other issues which might be preventing this? "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EA63A026-...

Money 2002 File conversion problem
After using Money 2002 for quite some time I tried to go for Money 2003. When converting the data file the message "Money cannot open this file because it was created by an incompatible version". Has anybody come across this problem and can help me in this. Are both of the versions from the same country - for example UK to UK or US to US? -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org/ Check http://money.mvps.org/faq/ for tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your product wishes see http://money.mvps.org/wishes.aspx I do not respond to any unsolicited...

email broken up into multiple attached text files on emails with multiple images
Hi There, I am encountering a fairly annoying problem with emails I am receiving with Outlook 2003 and that that have been sent from a Macintosh using the latest version of AppleMail. The emails have multiple image attachements (all coming though fine, although not in line which is how they have been sent) but the text of the email is broken up into text files that are attached. The first section of text in the email (ie before the first image) comes through fine, but the text after the first image in in an attachment, then the text after the second image is in another, seperate at...

Missing files
Can somebody tell me what these missing files are,and should I worry about not having them. iecontlcdll,iecontdll,ieuinit.. Also is there a free download for these..... -- lennox lennox wrote: > Can somebody tell me what these missing files are,and should I worry > about not having them. iecontlcdll,iecontdll,ieuinit.. Also is there a > free download for these..... ===================================== Maybe the following articles would be worth a look: Iecontlc.dll Not Found Error Resolution http://tinyurl.com/y6uau8q ......or..... http://pcsupport.about.c...

Addin
Hi All, I am not sure how to word this. I want to make an addin that monitors which files are opened. When a particular file is open, then run a macro. I don't want the marco in the file in question, because the people I send the file too, see the message about a macro, and refuse to open it, or it gets block. I know I could call the macro from a button, but I thought having the marco start when the file is opened would be easier. Thanks Chad There are application events that you can tie into. Start a new workbook and put this in the ThisWorkbook Module: ...

What is Unicode Format while saving xls File
Hello, I highly appreciate your help in clarifying my doubts for the following questions (we are using Excel 2000) 1. would like to know what is the Unicode Format(UTF8/ UTF16) in which the *.Xls file is saved when we save the File in Unicode Format. 2. What will the Delimiter when we save *.xls to Unicode File. (It looks like Tab delimited file). 3. Again when converting the *.xls to Unicode *.txt File, Can we make the File Data to be Enclosed in Quotes when a single cell has more than one word (By Default Cell Values which has a Comma gets Enclosed with Quotes). Thanks a bunch,...

How to remove a program from Windows XP without using Add/Remove program
A couple of years ago I had trouble removing "Dynamics GP 10.0" using the Add/Remove program. I stumbled onto an article that showed me an alternative method of removing installed programs from Windows without using the Add/Remove program. I launched some native application on Windows that listed all the installed programs and was able to remove it that way (without messing with the registry). I cannot recall what that application or folder is. Anyone know what I am talking about? I am not talking about a 3rd party application. Thanks. Nergock wrote: > A couple of...

Oepning more than one file
Hello All, Using Excel XP. When I open three Excel files at one time it shows the Microsoft Excel tab on the task bar instead of showing me the individual files tabs. It did this at one time but now just shows the Microsoft Excel tab. If I want to see the 2nd file I opened I have to minimize the first file. How can I get the gingival file names to show up on the task bar. Thank for any help. Michael Mike, tools, options, view, windows in taskbar -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from i...

Viewing Links to source file
Is there a way to view just where the link to a source file is in a destination workbook? Markstro I don't have an answer, but my problem is along the same line. My new workbook has a link to an old workbook of mine and I can't find where the link is or how to break it! Allan >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to view just where the link to a source file is in a >destination workbook? >Markstro >. > Hi you may use the following Add-in for this http://www.bmsltd.ie/DLCount/DLCount.asp?file=FindLink.zip -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany mark...

another ? about using distinctrow (or some alternative)
Hi all I have a query that I would like to eliminate records where one field may have duplicate values. I was of the impression that there was something i could put in the "criteria" field in the query design view that would eliminate duplicate records for the field. I have tried "unique" , "distinct" "count(*)=1" ect. but none of these seem to work. Is this more complicated than I think? Any suggestions would be appreciated. BRC On 15 Apr 2007 17:31:10 -0700, "BRC" <sgos4v-googrp@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hi all >I have a query that...