no cells, grey screen, all tabs greyed out

I just opened my spreadsheet (xlsx file), no data or cells are present and
all the tabs are greyed out.  The screen (where cells/data  s/b present) is
just a grey blank screen.  On the very top where the file name s/b in the
border, it just says Microsoft Excel.  What has happened?  Can I recover my
data?

You need to open a workbook file (the Office icon is not greyed out) or
start a new (use shortcut CTRL+N)
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

> I just opened my spreadsheet (xlsx file), no data or cells are present and
> all the tabs are greyed out.  The screen (where cells/data  s/b present)
> is
> just a grey blank screen.  On the very top where the file name s/b in the
> border, it just says Microsoft Excel.  What has happened?  Can I recover
> my
> data?

0
Bernard
4/11/2010 5:34:00 PM
Thank you for your reply sir...but this is an existing WB containing data,
formulas, etc.  Any thoughts?

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> You need to open a workbook file (the Office icon is not greyed out) or
> start a new (use shortcut CTRL+N)
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
>
> "John" <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I just opened my spreadsheet (xlsx file), no data or cells are present and
> > all the tabs are greyed out.  The screen (where cells/data  s/b present)
> > is
> > just a grey blank screen.  On the very top where the file name s/b in the
> > border, it just says Microsoft Excel.  What has happened?  Can I recover
> > my
> > data?
>
> .

VBA to move from one cell to another cell
Hi, Certain cells in a sheet needs to be filled with data. These cells are in successive rows from 10 to 49 Data is filled in cell C10 then F10 after that cell C11 then F11 C12 and F12 until I reach C49 and F49 It is annoying to use the TAB key or the mouse to move to the next cell. Is there a way to move to the next required cell just by pressing enter after filling in the data. i.e. data entered n cell C10 (press enter) go to cell F10, type the data and press enter to go to C11,then F11 ..... One method Unlock columns C and F. Protect the worksheet and use T...

Automate a macros when data in a cell changes (e.g.when using quer
Is there any way that a macro can be activated when the data of a specific cell changes? I assigned a macro to a "check box" button from the Tool Bar "Forms", and used the "cell link" from the "check box" properties, so when the data changes in the cell linked the "check box" is marked and the macro will start. So far, the "check box" gets marked when data changes but the macro doesn't start. The only way the macro starts is when I click in the "check box". Maybe you could use a worksheet event that will fire ...

Want to copy a cell down until it comes to the next nonblank cell, and then take this next nonblank cell until it comes to the next nonblank cell, and so on...
First time post-er, please be patient! I've got an excel spreadsheet which I'm trying to put into a format that's easy to filter. Before I can do that, I've got to clean up the data in one column - I'm bound by how the data dumps from another tool. There are several rows that basically relate to one grouping of information and so in this one column I have a project name (as part of a long string of text defining additional aspects of this project) and then for several rows below that, same column, I have names of people working on this particular project. (The name of th...

text gets cut in cells
when trying enter text in a cell (say the size of a letter for example) the text gets cut; only the cut version is printable, although the formula bar displays the whole text. How can I get all the text displayed in the cell (AND printed)? Cells can only print about 1024 characters, even tho they can contain about 32000 characters. In order to print/see more, use a text box. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "D B Kaufmann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:c34401c47a31$9a865ea0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > when trying enter text in a cell (say the size of a >...

Full Screen Help and KB Shortcut
Hello all, Office XP SP3 First, is there a way (registry tweak or anything else) to get the Help files to open up in full screen (maximized) mode? I hate having to double-click the title bar every time. (OT: I haven't used Office 2003 very much, even though I have it on a machine at home (the one we use mainly for a DVR--that's why we don't use Office 2003 that much). It appears that the help files don't open in a separate window like they do in XP. Is this true? Is there a way to get them to open in a separate window? The reason I ask is because the main way I use ...

Arrangement of text in a cell
I have text in a cell of my spread sheet. It has last name then first name. Is there a way to re-arrange this so the first name appears first?? Brett -- brettg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ brettg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33879 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=536583 If they are separated by a space: =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))&" "&LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)) -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "brettg" <brettg.2...

How do you go from one excell screen to another.
Use to be, before I got upgraded here at GM, that when I was working on one excel screen, and wanted to select a previous one that I was working on all that I had to do was go to my selection bar at the bottom of my screen, and select another excel screen. I could have as many open as I wanted. .... Now that I have been upgraded, when I go from one to another, the first one disappears. It does not show up at the bottom of the screen. I have to downsize the screen that I'm on and if I'm lucky, I'll find a little tiny box that allows me to 'restore' the other screen....

Missing Security TAb in System Manager on Organisation Level
Hi! What do I have to do to see in the properties of the exchange organisation the SECURITY-TAB on LONDON in the SystemManager ? I wonder why sometimes i see a security tab and sometimes I dont. (on different machines) I seems to be a setting. plz help On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:53:02 -0800, Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi! > >What do I have to do to see in the properties of the exchange organisation >the SECURITY-TAB on LONDON in the SystemManager ? > >I wonder why sometimes i see a security tab and sometimes I dont. (on >different m...

Switching/toggling Between Tabs Using KEYBOARD in MS Excel Worksheet
Is there any way to switch/toggle worksheets in MS Excel using the Keyboard... this is a hassel when you have to go to the mouse to do just this ?! I am aware you can create macros to do this... I want to know if excel has some key combinations to switch between worksheets in a work book Cheers Sri Hello Sri Ctrl + Pageup or PageDown HTH Cordially Pascal "Sridhar" <iveanid@yahoo.com> a �crit dans le message de news:a92d7173.0409170148.50b19a1a@posting.google.com... > Is there any way to switch/toggle worksheets in MS Excel using the > Keyboard... > this is a hasse...

VBA Help:Change Color of Cells
Dear All, How to change the color of cells? I'm confused whether to use range object or cells object. Pls give me example. Thanks Robert Lie Hi Robert, The Cells property returns a range object, so you could, for example, use either of the following equivalent instructions: Range("A1:A10").Interior.ColorIndex = 6 Cells(1, 1).Resize(10).Interior.ColorIndex = 6 --- Regards, Norman "Robert Lie" <robert.lie24@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23vv10TVIGHA.2928@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Dear All, > > How to change the color of cel...

countif, but only using partial cell contents in the reference array #4
while it doesn't apear to be exact, i extracted the part that was givin the error in Excel, and the cell references have been updated in it t reflect the actual, not the simple i started with... but much thanks, jare -- jared ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jaredh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1553 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27105 To workaround the #VALUE! errors if there are cells within the source range A1:A100 which may not contain any "{", thi...

how do I attach a jpeg to a cell
I am trying to have a button or link in a cell that when clicked will open up a jpeg that is also attached to (part of) the excel file. On 5/17/2010 11:14 AM, Mark wrote: > I am trying to have a button or link in a cell that when clicked will open up > a jpeg that is also attached to (part of) the excel file. How about a hyperlink to a jpg that ISN'T attached to the Excel file? That's easy... Bill ...

2007 Excel Protecting a cell
I found help on this for 2003, but does not work the same for 2007. I want to protect a format in a cell but still allow data entry. How can I do this? -- Linda K Unlock the cells. When you protect the sheet do not allow "Format Cells" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 09:58:02 -0800, LindaAlex <Lindak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I found help on this for 2003, but does not work the same for 2007. I want >to protect a format in a cell but still allow data entry. How can I do this? That was a easy fix!! Thanks -- Linda K...

Formulas within Cell References #2
I tried to do that but it will not work in the actual cell reference I'm stumped. humejap Wrote: > Have you tried the formula > > =Concatenate("$J$",H1) > > > -- > humejap > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > humejap's Profile > http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=5506 > View this thread > http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39509 -- jhockstr I missed the original question, but whilst =Concatenate("$J$",H1) will join to give $J$ joined to t...

Copying cells downward on sheet
Is there a way to copy rows and colums down and keep the row height and width the same? no, you can paste column widths but no row heights. you can paste just about anything else but not row heights. >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to copy rows and colums down and keep the row height and width >the same? >. > If you want to retain the destination row / column size, select Paste Special | Values from the Edit menu. -- Rob van Gelder - http://www.vangelder.co.nz/excel "danlinksman" <danlinksman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

conditional formatting of cells based on result in hidden cell
I have a column (Z) that reflects status for each record (rows). I want to have conditional formatting based on the content in column AA (which is hidden - but has the calculations). I have four options that I need to be able to develop a corresponding color for for the cells in Z. My understanding of other code examples that have been posted using Target is that they don't apply to looking at one cell and formatting a different cell. TIA, Papa J Depends on how the code is written: If Target.Column = "A" Then If Target.Value = 1 Then Range(&...

Count of text in cells
I have problem to solve,I have a column with office. The text in the Office cells with be, Office 1@810@NT but I now have a new columm with text in the following format:Test The Cell - Employment cells can contain mutiple values, Test The Cell - Education;Test The Cell - Employment;Test The Cell - Health . These values are separated by a ; NOt only do I need to count each occurance, but I then need to have a count of each one. I can have these values referred to in a cell if that makes it easier. Sorry if I have not been clear Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Ch...

How to remove validation on entering
When i select a cell in Excel Sheet and enter - (dash/minus) sign.After clicking on sheet it will convert the previous cell into a formula (since it takes - as formula for any format selected), indicating cells index. How i validate a cell not to perform the above feature. On pressing tab or enter key will solve the probs for text format but how i validate it for the same i.e. on what event? :confused: -- shiprasharma ------------------------------------------------------------------------ shiprasharma's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27651 Vie...

Worksheet tab names
Is there an automatic way to rename worksheet tabs as per cell content. For example in cell C2, if there is name Smith i would like to rename the worksheet as Smith. Thanks in advance. Regards Jed Code ------------------- Sub renamer() ActiveSheet.Name = Range("C2").Value End Su ------------------- Hope this helps, Wil ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financia...

Click on graph bar to execute a double-click in a pivot table cell
Excel 2002. I have a group of 6 different stacked bar charts built from parts of a pivot table. Each graph has several bars with each bar having sections for categories "10", "20", "30", "40", and "50". The graphs can be direct linked to the pivot table (as a pivot chart) or linked to an intermediate sheet looksup the data from the pivot table. I want to be able to click (double or single click) on a graph bar or section of a bar and execute the same action (.ShowDetail) that occurs when you double-click on a cell in the pivot table (print th...

Warning screen
Hello everybody, I've tried the flashing formulas and they worked but the problem is that they make the sheet to slow to work with:(. Now I want to try to make a warning pop up screen which warns when something is filled in, in one or more of the following cells: B17, B33, B42 and B54, after pushing a finish button. (The cells mentioned above already automaticly change into an empty cell when a related cell is filled in and normally warn that something is not filled in) How can I do this? :confused: :confused: Thank in advance for the help!!! ---------------------------------------...

Can you use a hanging indent in an Excel cell?
I am trying to create a list in Excel but some descriptions are lengthly. It would be easier to distinguish between each item if, as a description wraps in the cell, a hangin indent was in place. Hi DBTI Hanging indents no, indents yes To create a hanging indent look alike, type five spaces before your text. "DBTI" wrote: > I am trying to create a list in Excel but some descriptions are lengthly. It > would be easier to distinguish between each item if, as a description wraps > in the cell, a hangin indent was in place. ...

Auto-expiring excel cell values
Hi! Does anybody know how to make cell values "disapear" after a predetermined date? I would like to share an excel (I must send it by email), but only for a limited amount of time! This shouldn't be visible to the recipient of the worksheet! Thanks Hi Alberto! I don't think that there are any easy ways but you can make life difficult. You could use conditional format: Formula Is: =DATE(2003,12,30)+14<TODAY() Format the font color the same as the background color. Don't forget to use: Format > Cells > Protection Check Hide OK Tools > Protection > P...

Custom development to PO Generator Screen
Hello, I have a client who wants me to change the way the SOP_POPreview form selects the primary vendor for an item. Rather than grabbing the Primary Vendor from the site as it is designed, they want me to make a one-to-one raltionship between an item and a vendor. Basically I would add/create a custom field on the Item Maintenance screen to link a default vendor to an item. Then when the SOP_POPreview form opens, I would right Dex code to grab this default vendor for the item and update the SOP_POPreview Vendor with this. I can develop in Dexterity pretty well when it comes to writi...

Hide Screens While Macro is Running
I don't want the user to see the various spreadsheets and items that pop up during a macro. How can I make this disappear while the macro is running? Thank you, crmulle application.screenupdating = false 'lots of code here application.screenupdating = true crmulle wrote: > > I don't want the user to see the various spreadsheets and items that pop up > during a macro. How can I make this disappear while the macro is running? > > Thank you, > crmulle -- Dave Peterson Put this line at the beginning of the macro: Application.ScreenUp...