Newbie basic help

Hi all,
I'm very new to this and trying to work out a formula to put numbers i
order, sounds simple but i just cant work it out!

I just need to be able to take a selection of rows with random number
and display them in numerical order somewhere else.

I've found the MAX and MIN commands to get the highest and lower bu
not got a clue about how to do the rest.

Thanks
Ad

Assuming that the numbers are not generated  by the RAND function, why not
just sort them (Data>Sort).

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"ady >" <<ady.11wbb2@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I'm very new to this and trying to work out a formula to put numbers in
> order, sounds simple but i just cant work it out!
>
> I just need to be able to take a selection of rows with random numbers
> and display them in numerical order somewhere else.
>
> I've found the MAX and MIN commands to get the highest and lower but
> not got a clue about how to do the rest.

> Thanks
> Ady
>

> ---

bob.phillips1 (6510)
2/19/2004 11:04:45 PM
Hi
if your target range starts in row 1 try this for descending
=LARGE(A1:A100,ROW())
or for ascending order
=SMALL(A1:A100,ROW())
copy down

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> Hi all,
> I'm very new to this and trying to work out a formula to put numbers
> in order, sounds simple but i just cant work it out!
>
> I just need to be able to take a selection of rows with random
numbers
> and display them in numerical order somewhere else.
>
> I've found the MAX and MIN commands to get the highest and lower but
> not got a clue about how to do the rest.

> Thanks
> Ady
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)

Year End Closing.... need help!!!!!!!!!
Did close the year end, but I don't know why my current transactions won't show in the inquiry and even won't print the transaction after I did the year end, but some of the current year transaction before I did the year are visible. I can only see my transaction in the Smartlist. If you can see the transactions in Smartlist, what year do they appear in (ie add the open year field and document status)? "tess0120" wrote: > Did close the year end, but I don't know why my current transactions won't > show in the inquiry and even won't print the t...

need help in managing my duplicate contacts
is there any utility out there that can help me in merging my duplicate contacts. I imported my old address book and it seem like it was not too successful in combining some of my address. I hate to do it manually. I need a utility that could help me in the cross checking and merge detected duplicate with ease. anyone seen such or am I wishing? thanks Steve In news:qavff.1005$rM2.872@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net, StvyLife <trial13@hotmail.com.no> typed: > is there any utility out there that can help me in merging my > duplicate contacts. I imported my old address book a...

Everytime I open an Office application I get an error message, please help!!!
Hi I've had office for my mac for about 4 months, at some point in the last 2 weeks everytime I try to open word, or excell I get an error message "the program has unexpectly quit" any idea or suggestions please help! Hi Dan, It will help us help you if you post back with some additional information. What version of Office? What version of MacOS? Have you installed any new fonts or software that installs foonts lately? -Jim -- Jim Gordon Mac MVP MVP FAQ <http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpfaqs> Dan Goldberg wrote: > Hi > I'v...

help please?
Hi, I'm trying to go to college... I am about 4,000 dollars short. Financial Aid came up short this year. I'm in my junior year and I'm afraid I won't be able to go this semester. I was wondering if anyone would consider donating as little as a dollar through paypal to me. Anything could help! www.digitalcharity.com/m.php?id=1985. Please consider! This is not spam... if you need proof my college attendence, I'm willing to send a copy of financial transcript and report card. If you have any questions, please email me at Rudyskagirl@gmail.com... thank you so much for reading...

Please help a neophyte w/ connecting Outlook #2
I recently received a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. Since I only have a dial-up connection and I want to use this in a room where there is no telephone jack, I needed a long phone cord to connect the laptop to the phone jack. I attached the 50' cord to the laptop last week and all went fine connecting to the Internet. However, I cannot seem to make the connection again. I enter the password and it dials (pulse!), and the box says "connected to remote computer", then "verifying name and password", then finally "unable to establish a connection". I th...

Help with Old Q&A Application
So sorry if this is entirely off or nearly off topic. A friend said the application that would be of most use to me is one made by Symantec some years ago called Q&A. Not sure if this a database type of application and whether today the nearest to it would be Access or Excel. Any help much appreciated as I have tried Googling but no real answers. Phil Hi Phil, Google for QBE (Query By Example) and Symantec -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Phil" <reply to group> wrote in message news:403a1f29$0$17817$fa0fcedb@lovejoy.zen.co.uk... > So sorry...

Help with Caluation
I am working on a spread sheet to do caluation. I would like a field to return a product only if there is one to return. Otherwise, I would like it to be blank. Example....if quantity * price = (nothing if no quantity, or product if quantity >0 =IF(OR(price=0,quantity=0),"",price*quantity) -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Jon-Paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A11413E-A331-4BF4-ACAF-6B95250EF99E@microsoft.com... > I am wo...

help with MX Records and Exchange
I just installed SBS2003 Standard Ed. I do not know where my MX Records are found so that I can change it with my ISP(yahoo) that is hosting my website. where do i find it or what can i do? Also i can send e-mails out from the user@mydomain.com but can not receive is this why I need the MX Records to add to my ISP? Please Help I'm puzzled Many domain registrars provide this service, it's quite likely they're hosting it for you. If you host your web site at an ISP, that's another possiblity. Check your domain records at the registrar to find out IP addresses and names of ...

HELP - Outlook2003
We are running Exchange 2000 and my client is Outlook 2003. I can exit Outlook just fine but the outlook.exe process never stops. The Outlook Icon sits in the Systray and when you click on it I get the following message: Outlook is not responding. If you are using an Exchange server e-mail account, you can cancel pending server requests by clicking the Outlook icon in the notifications area, and then click Cancel Server Request on the shortcut menu. Problem is I only have this option when outlook is open. Once I close outlook the only popup I get from the icon in the systray is ...

PLEASE HELP! MSExchangeIS 9646 error
A single MAPI session has exceeded the maximum number of objects of a given type. To prevent a single client from affecting the performance of the entire server, this MAPI session was terminated. User Action This can be caused by a very high usage level by an individual user. If these errors are happening regularly, you can raise the default maximum for the affected object type (for example, to twice its default level). If at this level the specified user is continuing to generate this warning, investigate the user actions that are causing this warning. It can be caused by ...

Attachments Help
Hi All. I am looking for a way to delete all my attachments after a certain time period. I was wondering if there was anyone that can help me figure this out. I've tried to use a rule but I can't find one that will work. If there is VBA code that someone knows of that will perform this operation that would be great. Thanks much. Ross . Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com Still looking for some help on this. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. braa0081 wrote on Tue, 27 April 2010 12:25 > Hi All. > > I am looking for a way to delet...

Help- Changing Case
Good morning: Excel 2003: I need to change the case on imported data from "CAPS" to "Proper". I thought it would have been an easy process but I was wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks John Select the cells you want to make Proper and run this small macro: Sub properize() For Each r In Selection r.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Proper(r.Value) Next End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200738 "RoadKing" wrote: > Good morning: > Excel 2003: I need to change the case on imported data from "CAPS" to > &q...

SOAP Server Application Faulted error,pls help
Scenario: Exchange 2003 with the CRM3.0 E-Mail Router Installed. Upon running the Rule Deployment Wizard and selecting the relevant CRM server, we get a "SOAP Server Application Faulted" Message. CRM server installed by domain\administrator Exchange server log on as domain\administrator CRM E-Mail Router service log on as domain\administrator It seems that Microsoft KB914592 gives a solution but I can't find it on MS site. Any suggestions? Thanks ...

Pivot Help.. Running Total
I have two pivot data fields: Time Amount Name I've grouped time by Year/Month I've changed my Amount field settings to Average, Running Total in 'Year'. This way I get a YTD average amount for each name. Now, here is my problem. I'd like to know how to set up a field that will calculate the % Difference From the YTD Average for the prior year. It's like a 'double' calculation. Is this possible? Is there a 'calculated field' set up I can use? I tried Calculated item.. but it doesn't work with Averages.. and it is important that I stick with a...

can't stop auto fomatting
As of today (it's never happened before) a spread sheet that I'm been adding to will now delete leading zeros if they are typed or pasted into any cell. So if I enter 0067, it turns it into 67. I don't want this. I've looked at cell formatting, auto formatting, conditional formatting, and can't find out what's making this happen or how to turn it off. I even tried Paste Special, and picked Text, which should paste the text exactly as it is and leave it alone, but it still changes it. OK, maybe I'll feel stupid when I find the answer, but it's driving me crazy. ...

Exchange BackUP and Restore Newbie question....
Hi, I am running Exchange 2000 enterprise edition and performing daily Microsoft BackUP utility running on Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I am only backing up 1 information store with 2 storage groups. Though, I have not yet experience any severe Exchange outage, however there may come a time when this situation should appear. I am following this article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258243) and was wondering if the backup as followed from this article works entirely and performing a restore operation should be an ease as stated in this article. Has anyon...

Help with code #2
I am trying to setup a database and I want to have a macro that will list all workbooks in a directory and display this in a listbox or combobox. I have no idea at where to start. Thanks in advance Greg Simple question that looks like it would lead to an entire seminar. Suggestion. Run out right now and get a copy of John Walkenbach's 'Power Programming with VBA'. You can also get it at his website... http://www.j-walk.com/ss/books/index.htm I've got his 'Excel 2002 Power Programming with VBA' but there is a 2003 edition out. While there are other more com...

New Help in Line Chart
How do you not have the chart calculate cells that have formulas which caluclate to zero. I have a chart that show sales by month for one year, data is input from Sept to March while the range is Sept to June. In April the line dive to 0. How do I do this with out having to readust the source data each month? -- Billg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Billg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33514 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=533061 Hi, If the cell contains a formul...

Access 2003
I maintain an equipment inventory database in Access 2003 with just a handful of tables and several regular queries. Each piece of equipment has a unique 6-digit asset tag, and that field is the primary key. No two records can have the same asset tag. Periodically equipment gets replaced, and I am looking for a way to do the following when replacing multiple pieces of equipment. 1. Multiple asset tags would be entered into a form or table. Their corresponding records would be found in TABLE-1 2. Certain fields of the records found would be appended to TABLE-2 showing them as having been repla...

Need help merging two Worksheet_Change modules #3
OK, I have managed to get this far. It all works other than after th messaage appears and it selects the cell again, you can click away fro the cell - Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error GoTo errHandler: 'Does the validation range still have validation? If HasValidation(Me.Range("ValidationRange")) = False Then With Application .EnableEvents = False .Undo End With MsgBox "Your last operation was canceled. " & _ "It would have deleted data validation rules.", vbCritical Else If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("Va...

Help with code
Hello, I just started an internship, and for my internship i'm making word templates, with some basic VB code. It should work in the following way: employees when opening the file get an wizzard with fields to fill in and the rest is drawn from a database. Everything works fine, except for when i want the output of a wizzard to start on a new line. The code for the wizzard: Selection.Find.ClearFormatting With Selection.Find .Text = _ "uur per week, de werktijden zijn van" .Replacement.Text = "" .Forward = True ...

pls help
Hi, I have one doubt in dynamic creation of excel. I am creating excel using visual basic. I have one dll (name as AGEXcelwritter) that is useful for write the data in to the excel. I have another class name cReport. i call creport class from my ASP. creport class writes some data in to excel using AGExcelwritter dll. If I run the creport class in run mode, it works fine. Excel created successfully. After i created dll for cReport. But this time it is not working. if i run the creport class in run time it is working. if i use the creport dll. i got error. I got the error in AGExcelwritter f...

Need help with formulas over different sheets
Hello, I need to know how I can change the numbers of this formula without changing manually each month: =SUMAR.SI(Diario!B2989:B3004;Diario!$T$22;Diario!L2989:L3004) For example this month I�ll go from B3005:B3300, the thing is, this is a big sheet and I need to change for every column, I tried to put the values in a cell but excel can�t take it. What I want is to put the range values in a cell and then change for all the working cells. Thanks a lot. Hi not sure how this formula is named in your language but=20 use the function INDIRECT for this >-----Original Message----- >Hell...

Help Calling Pix With Macro-Affects All Pix on Sheet
I used some code provided by another helpful soul and it works great....except, it affects all the pictures on my sheet. I've built a tool with several graphics on it but only want one set of pictures to work with the VLOOKUP and leave the rest of them alone. Now all my "Pictures" disappear except for the one cell where I set up the VLOOKUP. How can I exclude some of the other graphic images? Here's the code I'm using...Thanks Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate() Dim oPic As Picture Me.Pictures.Visible = False With Range("P16") ...

HELP! Health Savings account setup in payroll
Has anyone set-up the employees HSA account w/direct deposit and including an employer match? Can I get some idea how to set-up the "pre-tax" employee's deduction, then turn around and make a direct deposit. Carmie ------=_NextPart_0001_1EAD4F86 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello Direct Deposit was not really designed for pre-tax payments to go to the employee. If you have EFT for payables you can set up a deduction/benefit for the HSA similar to how a 401k would be setup. You could then set the employee up as a vendo...