New Project, Different Problem: AutoFilter?

I'm creating a database of outside trainers.  Each trainer can handle
multiple categories of training.  It is essential that the training manager
be able to create lists for specific categories as the need arises, as well
as being able to do more standard sorts such as Name.  Rather than making
multiple entries for each Trainer (one for each category, which may reach
10+), I'd like to allow multiple entries in the Category column utilizing a
key for each category.

It seems that AutoFilter would be the ideal method for creating this db.
Well, actually Advanced AutoFilter, since I'll need to be able to select for
a specified category key.

I've begun the research in how to use this feature, but before I go much
further I'd like to make sure I'm on the right path.

So -- would Advanced AutoFilter allow me to extract those records where a
search criteria is met?

    -- would I use the criteria range formula Trainers!I3:I70="10" to
extract those records in Trainers where Column I contains the category key
"10"?

    -- assuming the above is true, is there a better source for direction
than Contextures?

Thanks so much!

You could use the Custom option in an AutoFilter to find records that
contain a 10.

Or, you could use an Advanced Filter, with the Column I heading, and the
criteria:  *10

However, you may encounter problems with either technique if your course
numbers are similar. For example, filtering for *5 would return 1, 15,
25, 50, etc. You might be able to work around this by adding a text
character at the start and end of each course number.

And there may be better sources for direction than Contextures. What
information are you looking for?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
2/2/2005 12:35:48 AM
"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> And there may be better sources for direction than Contextures. What
> information are you looking for?

I went to Contextures for a clearer understanding of how to use the Advanced
AutoFilter component.  Which I think it did provide.  However, if there's
something online that would provide better/clearer instruction and
explanation, I'm open to suggestions.

And thanks for the heads-up re potential problem on multiple returns because
of embedded numbers.  I'll have a look at my categories and see if I can do
something to set apart the 1 from the 10.  I believe I read something at
Contextures about a way to expressly identify a 10 vs a 1.

Helen

> Helen McClaine wrote:
> > I'm creating a database of outside trainers.  Each trainer can handle
> > multiple categories of training.  It is essential that the training manager
> > be able to create lists for specific categories as the need arises, as well
> > as being able to do more standard sorts such as Name.  Rather than making
> > multiple entries for each Trainer (one for each category, which may reach
> > 10+), I'd like to allow multiple entries in the Category column utilizing a
> > key for each category.
> >
> > It seems that AutoFilter would be the ideal method for creating this db.
> > Well, actually Advanced AutoFilter, since I'll need to be able to select for
> > a specified category key.
> >
> > I've begun the research in how to use this feature, but before I go much
> > further I'd like to make sure I'm on the right path.
> >
> > So -- would Advanced AutoFilter allow me to extract those records where a
> > search criteria is met?
> >
> >     -- would I use the criteria range formula Trainers!I3:I70="10" to
> > extract those records in Trainers where Column I contains the category key
> > "10"?
> >
> >     -- assuming the above is true, is there a better source for direction
> > than Contextures?
> >

> > Thanks so much!
> >

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

There are a other instructions and examples in Excel's Help -- you might
find those useful. Also, if you can use code, there's a sample workbook
here:

     http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#Filter

under the heading: Filter Rows for Text String

It uses an advanced filter, and event code, to filter a list for a text
string. You may be able to adapt this to your workbook.

You may be remembering the example in which the criteria is: ="=Ice"
to prevent the return of "Ice cream"

However, it sounds like your course numbers could be in any order in the
cell. One trainer might have:  3, 5, 12, 20
Another might have:  5, 20, 25
Those wouldn't work with the above criteria example.

Helen McClaine wrote:
> "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
>

>>And there may be better sources for direction than Contextures. What
>>information are you looking for?
>>

> I went to Contextures for a clearer understanding of how to use the Advanced
> AutoFilter component.  Which I think it did provide.  However, if there's
> something online that would provide better/clearer instruction and
> explanation, I'm open to suggestions.
>
> And thanks for the heads-up re potential problem on multiple returns because
> of embedded numbers.  I'll have a look at my categories and see if I can do
> something to set apart the 1 from the 10.  I believe I read something at
> Contextures about a way to expressly identify a 10 vs a 1.
>
> Helen
>

>>Helen McClaine wrote:
>>
>>>I'm creating a database of outside trainers.  Each trainer can handle
>>>multiple categories of training.  It is essential that the training manager
>>>be able to create lists for specific categories as the need arises, as well
>>>as being able to do more standard sorts such as Name.  Rather than making
>>>multiple entries for each Trainer (one for each category, which may reach
>>>10+), I'd like to allow multiple entries in the Category column utilizing a
>>>key for each category.
>>>
>>>It seems that AutoFilter would be the ideal method for creating this db.
>>>Well, actually Advanced AutoFilter, since I'll need to be able to select for
>>>a specified category key.
>>>
>>>I've begun the research in how to use this feature, but before I go much
>>>further I'd like to make sure I'm on the right path.
>>>
>>>So -- would Advanced AutoFilter allow me to extract those records where a
>>>search criteria is met?
>>>
>>>    -- would I use the criteria range formula Trainers!I3:I70="10" to
>>>extract those records in Trainers where Column I contains the category key
>>>"10"?
>>>
>>>    -- assuming the above is true, is there a better source for direction
>>>than Contextures?
>>>

>>>Thanks so much!
>>>

>>--
>>Debra Dalgleish
>>Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)
2/2/2005 1:07:35 AM
Thanks, Debra.  It's good to know I'm at least on the right path.  I can't
use code, but I will spend some time with the Contextures site and see if I
can figure this thing out.

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> There are a other instructions and examples in Excel's Help -- you might
> find those useful. Also, if you can use code, there's a sample workbook
> here:
>
>      http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#Filter
>
> under the heading: Filter Rows for Text String
>
> It uses an advanced filter, and event code, to filter a list for a text
> string. You may be able to adapt this to your workbook.
>
> You may be remembering the example in which the criteria is: ="=Ice"
> to prevent the return of "Ice cream"
>
> However, it sounds like your course numbers could be in any order in the
> cell. One trainer might have:  3, 5, 12, 20
> Another might have:  5, 20, 25
> Those wouldn't work with the above criteria example.
>
> Helen McClaine wrote:
> > "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
> >

> >>And there may be better sources for direction than Contextures. What
> >>information are you looking for?
> >>

> > I went to Contextures for a clearer understanding of how to use the Advanced
> > AutoFilter component.  Which I think it did provide.  However, if there's
> > something online that would provide better/clearer instruction and
> > explanation, I'm open to suggestions.
> >
> > And thanks for the heads-up re potential problem on multiple returns because
> > of embedded numbers.  I'll have a look at my categories and see if I can do
> > something to set apart the 1 from the 10.  I believe I read something at
> > Contextures about a way to expressly identify a 10 vs a 1.
> >
> > Helen

> >>--
> >>Debra Dalgleish
> >>Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
> >>http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
> >>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

If you get stuck, you can post another message here, and someone may be
able to help. And if you have any suggestions for adding to the Advanced
Filter material on my web site, let me know.

Helen McClaine wrote:
> Thanks, Debra.  It's good to know I'm at least on the right path.  I can't
> use code, but I will spend some time with the Contextures site and see if I
> can figure this thing out.
>
> "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
>

>>There are a other instructions and examples in Excel's Help -- you might
>>find those useful. Also, if you can use code, there's a sample workbook
>>here:
>>
>>     http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html#Filter
>>
>>under the heading: Filter Rows for Text String
>>
>>It uses an advanced filter, and event code, to filter a list for a text
>>string. You may be able to adapt this to your workbook.
>>
>>You may be remembering the example in which the criteria is: ="=Ice"
>>to prevent the return of "Ice cream"
>>
>>However, it sounds like your course numbers could be in any order in the
>>cell. One trainer might have:  3, 5, 12, 20
>>Another might have:  5, 20, 25
>>Those wouldn't work with the above criteria example.
>>
>>Helen McClaine wrote:

>>>I went to Contextures for a clearer understanding of how to use the Advanced
>>>AutoFilter component.  Which I think it did provide.  However, if there's
>>>something online that would provide better/clearer instruction and
>>>explanation, I'm open to suggestions.
>>>
>>>And thanks for the heads-up re potential problem on multiple returns because
>>>of embedded numbers.  I'll have a look at my categories and see if I can do
>>>something to set apart the 1 from the 10.  I believe I read something at
>>>Contextures about a way to expressly identify a 10 vs a 1.
>>>
>>>Helen

>>--
>>Debra Dalgleish
>>Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

Using code to insert different formulas
[Excel 2003] I have sixteen different conditions which can exist. These relate to whether certain aspects are TRUE or FALSE. When taken together I have 16 unique "cases". These appear in cells A1:A60 and are labeled Condition1, 2, 3 etc... Condition16 Depending on the condition in each cell in column A, I need certain formulas to operate in adjacent cells in colomn B and C For example for Condition1 in A1, I need the formula in B1 to be "=D1*E1" and the formula in C1 to be "F1*G1/H1" Each formula referes to cells in the same row, so perh...

Outlook Resolution Problem
I have a client who is using Outlook 2003. When he stops and restarts his system he cannot resolve his incoming and outgoing mail servers immediately. He can get anywhere else on the Internet, but not to his mail servers. After 20-30 minutes it mysteriously starts resolving, and he can send and receive mail. We "fixed" the problem by entering the IP addresses instead of the word address, but I'm still perplexed. Has anyone else encountered anything like this? very weird... the next time the user reboots the computer, tell them do the following so we can do a quick DNS ...

problem with form protection
I am using MS Word 2000. I have several documents that were created with an older version of word that have been saved and transferred to this computer. When I try to edit them they are protected. However, when I click the padlock on the toolbar to turn the protection off all of the information filled out in the form goes blank!Help! How do I edit the form without having to fill the entire thing out again?!? You will need to use a macro to re-apply the protection ActiveDocument.Protect wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please re...

An error in my new Access 2007 Application
I made an Access 2000 Application and it worked with no problems. I tried to upgrade and everything worked with the exception of the Reports. When I try to close the Report it gives me this error: Run-time error '2046': The command or action 'Refresh' isn't available now. Can someone help, thanks.... in advance. Jeff- ...

Indexing Service filter daemon has encountered a problem
Since installing the CRM Client earlier today I have had about 10 boxes come up saying “Indexing Service filter daemon has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience” and sending a problem report off to Microsoft. Is this a known issue? Thanks John ...

User Attachments (Says a Problem when there isn't)
I updated Outlook and now i have trouble sending links via e-mail, even on MSN sites. I know the sites are not a problem. Error Message.. Outlook Blocked potentially unsafe attachments" Does anyone know how to fix this ..? In help it says level i access can not be changed...Helppppppppppppp I even get a email back saying I sent a potentially bad file. Just copy the URL of the page you're trying to send and paste it in the email... same end result. when you drag & drop a 'shortcut' onto an email, it creates a file attachment, not an embedded link. Shortc...

Problem with Filtering Form with Subform in Acces Data Project 200
When I aplly filter (by form) to a form with subform in Acces Data Project 2007, subform loose data; subform does'n show any data; Moveing to next/prev. record in main form doesn't synchronise subform wich is still and always blank; I must close and reopen form to get again subform data... Main form contains about 50000 records and subform contains 30-60 records related to main form selected within 1,500,000 records in table. Moveing to next/prev. record work correctly when filter is not applied. Acces Data Project 2007 use SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 installed on Windows Vista...

Cannot create new? In all office 2003 applications
Everything in office 2003 Pro - excel, ppt, even outlook many functions are greyed out all of a sudden. I tried installing and reinstall outlook and that didnt change anything. Also one thing I noticed was that when I reinstalled office 2003 (done thru cd, and add/remove) it still had my settings stored when I installed it again, like mu email accounts,k emails were intact. Any ideas, why am i having this grrey out, worked fine until yesterday. Could you do a Restore on your system? "Vakul" wrote: > Everything in office 2003 Pro - excel, ppt, even outlook many functions a...

Problems with network printers
Having some issues with publisher in a networked environment. The user will create a publication from one location, save it, open it in a different location, and print to the printer assigned to the original location. I was told that this was due to embedding. Printers are pushed down from printer scripts assigned through GP. Any help on this issue would be REALLY appreciated.. Thank you.. :) -Eric The user should not simply click the Printer icon. The user should open the print dialog (File, Print) and select the desired printer from the list. If the desired printer is not i...

SP1 Update Problem
Installation of sp1 using update.exe The next button is not enabled on component selection page. Would anyone know why? Thanks in advance Have you selected anything on the Component Selection page? This would normally indicate that you are not in a state for SP1 to be applied. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "RG" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:O1aFu1nREHA.1644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Installation of sp1 using update.exe > > The next button is not enabled on component selection page. > >...

Strange characters in new mail body
After I copied data from Excel into an email I get strange characters in the body of each new mail. This is somehow connected with Word since the problem goes away if I disable "Use Microsoft Word for writing email". If anyone knows a fix for this I would be grateful. -TH ...

Office for Mac X and new iMacPro
Got a new iMacPro. Using firewire, copied everything, including Office Mac X, to iMacPro from old iMac (not a laptop). When I tried to use Word or Excel from either the dock icons or files, Office Test Drive Word or Excel showed up. So I put Test Drive in the trash, deleted Test Drive icons from dock and replaced them with icons linked to Office Mac X. All is fine except for one glitch: can't open files; have to open application and then open file from the ap. I called Apple help. Was told to remove all Office applications, X and 2004 Test Drive, from my computer and then re-install...

Wrap text problem in Excel 2003
I am having probems with wrap text. The last line, in a ten line entry, won't wrap. Is there anything I can do about this as it is happening on at least five cells Many thanks James Have you tried to manually place the "carriage return" by editing the cell (F2), moving to the appropriate spot and simaltaneously hitting the Alt-Enter keys? or is manual entry not an option in this instance? "jamesp@premiercs.co.uk" wrote: > I am having probems with wrap text. The last line, in a ten line entry, > won't wrap. Is there anything I can do about this ...

NUMBERS PROBLEM
Hi, I have exchange 2003 setup with Outlook 2003 client.In AD some of the user details appears as follows with numbers at their end.The id's work fine. legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Mohammed Mannathodi63266254 legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Patric Lundin53784058 legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Beena Menon23767644 legacyExchangeDN: /o=GAC Group/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=Ashraf Babu82709263 legacyExchangeD...

Move whole DC & Exchange on new hardware
Hi On one singleserver I've runnig an Windows 2003 Server as a domain controller and exchange. Now I've to move the whole domain, with all users, roaming profiles and so on, including the exchange things (smtp, mailboxes, public folders, iis). Has someone a manual or concept for this?!? Exists there a document from microsoft, explaining the most importent steps or something like this?!? Thanks a lot for your advice... Phil Move Server (Ed Crowley method): http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1001&faqname=Exchange%202000&sectionID...

I am new at cell "if" formulas ...please help
I have just started understanding and using the "IF" function, and I seem to be doing very good ...except for this one problem that I can not figure out how to format the cell. Please help! I am pulling information from one cell of another worksheet to this worksheet. It is hours worked per day per employee, however 2 employees are salaried but, are paid for 40 hours. So what I am trying to set the cells that are pulling the hours worked per day to show and keep the formula from week to week since they might not work the same number of hours, or the same days. If it is po...

Excel formula problem =IF(0<B7<20;1;0)
Need excel to return the value 1 if the value in field B7 is larger tha 0 and smaller than 20. =IF(B7<20;1;0) kinda works except that if B7 is empty 1 is returned I then tried to indicate the range from 0 to 20, by doing this: =IF(0<B7<20;1;0) this results in excel returning 0 no matter what write in field B7 What am I doing wrong? Flemmin -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try =IF(AND(B7>0,B7<20);1;0) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Need excel to return the value 1 if the value in field B7 is larger > than 0 and smaller than 20. ...

SUMIF when YEAR is correct
Hello folks, I have the following table: A B C D E 1 Jan 01 Feb 01 Jan 02 Feb 02 2 Costs 50E 50E 60E 60E 3 Cashflows 100E 20E 100E And I want to do the following: The values in the row 2 should be calculated automatically. - Excel should look in row 1 and read the YEARS. - Then excel should go in row 3 and SUM all values of the same YEAR, e.g. of year 02 (which would be 120E) -Then excel should devide this SUM in equal parts and spread it over the cell...

Formatting problems on Mac Excel 2004 of Windows 2003 Spreadsheet
Spent last two days researching internet to try to find out why I'm having all this trouble getting my Windows 2003 Spreadsheets to print properly on a mac, using Windows Excel 2004. Comparing printouts of each: Mac seems to: 1: Interprete the font somewhat larger (20 %) 2: Displays and prints column positioning much larger (wider) Net result: Often 4 pages (2 wide, 2 high) instead of 1. The main usage of the (15) WorkBooks (each having at least 10 WorkSheets) is and will remain in the Windows environment. Therefore, I'm hoping there is a way to run the workbooks on ...

No new records
Hello. I have a subform in a form that I use to add records. Is there a way to keep this subform from sorting through all the records in the query it pulls from? I have the query use a query with an autonumber and have set it to Allow Adds:No. Not sure why it still scrolls through records. Thanks <nybaseball22@gmail.com> wrote in message news:5e96e569-0322-4c34-89c2-dec1edb75f5d@z17g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > Hello. I have a subform in a form that I use to add records. Is > there a way to keep this subform from sorting through all the records > in the query it pulls ...

Access crashes / freezes on new record
For no apparent reason, something strange is happening to my DB. When I add a new record using a form, Access crashes and I am forced to kill it with the task manager. Interestingly this doesn't happen when I add a new record 'directly' into the table, nor, if after only filling in one field in this way, I then return to the entry form and fill in the rest of the fields. The form has a subform within it. More specifically, the form enters details into an 'Invoice' table and the subform enters details into an 'Items' table. The 'Invoice number' is what conne...

Problem with VBA code and Range
I'm trying to create multiple charts via a macro in Excel 2007. I'm getting a 1004 - Range of Object _Global Failed on the indicated statement. I believe I've done something wrong with the last Range in that statement, but I'm not sure what. Sub OATChartCreate() Dim chtNew As Chart Dim i As Integer '<<< ActiveCell.Resize(2.6).Select ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddChart.Select Set chtNew = ActiveChart For i = 1 To 109 '<<< Range("F1:K1,F2:K2").Select Range(&qu...

SP3 for Project Server 2007?
Does anyone know when SP3 for Project Server 2007 will be released? We haven't been informed of any planned dates yet, but you can get the service pack as it is being developed by staying current with Cumulative Updates. Ultimately, the Service Pack is the culmination of the CU process. -- Gary L Chefetz, MVP, MCT, MCITP msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com FAQs and Reference http://www.projectserverexperts.com BLOG: http://projectserverhelp.com "Rickard" <Rickard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7BDDA6F5-D6AA-4BFB-B6D6-68F39DF...

How do I copy a graph and use the data in the new worksheet?
I have new data in different worksheets all with the same data format. I want to make the same graph in each worksheet using the data in that worksheet but I was hoping not to have to recreate the graph and select all the data in each worksheet. Is there a way to do this as long as the data is in the same place in each worksheet? Copy the sheet with the chart. The chart points to the new sheet's data. Copy a new set of data, and paste it over the data that the chart is pointing to, and the chart will update. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Service...

CONCATENATE problem with blank cells
I need to merge columns A and B, but some cells are blank, so I can't copy the formula down the 3rd column...it stops at the 1st blank a1 Frank Smith a2 blank a3 blank a4 Bill Jones b2 blank b2 sally b3 billie b4 blank HELP? -- roger_home ------------------------------------------------------------------------ roger_home's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16434 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=396618 Hi Roger, You could Concatenate the Cells in Columns "A" & "B" Using the Follow...