Network File lock not detected

We have a workbook that about a dozen people get in and
out of all day.  I have a problem with one user's excel
not always locking the file, or it could be a problem with
other users not detecting the file is in use and
displaying the in use message, do you want to open a read
only or wait.  Is there anything I can do in execel to fix
that or is it a network issue.  Running XP pro, office xp
pro, and 2k server.
0
nparr (3)

From my experience, it is a network issue.  They need to unlock the file because Excel cannot.
0
anonymous (74722)
3/3/2004 11:36:06 PM
Fixed it, Windows didn't have sp1 on it.  For some reason it fixed the
problem.

"N. Parr" <nparr@mortonwelding.com> wrote in message
> We have a workbook that about a dozen people get in and
> out of all day.  I have a problem with one user's excel
> not always locking the file, or it could be a problem with
> other users not detecting the file is in use and
> displaying the in use message, do you want to open a read
> only or wait.  Is there anything I can do in execel to fix
> that or is it a network issue.  Running XP pro, office xp
> pro, and 2k server.

0
nparr (3)

change my drag and drop default file name
Is it possible to change the format of the default file name for a .msg file, so that while using the drag and drop, I can instead have the files be named Date_Sender.msg instead. It sure would be nice to avoid all the duplicate file names when trying to save out a discussion where all files have identical Subject lines.... Thanks much ...

Code to hide window elements in a specific file
Hi there, I have the following code which works to remove toolbars when a specific file is opened. But I would also like for the formula bar, status bar and sheet tabs to be hidden when the file is opened. These must, however, all be visible again when any other file is opened. Please help! Code in This Workbook: Private Sub Workbook_Activate() Dim bar As CommandBar For Each bar In Application.CommandBars bar.Enabled = False Next End Sub Private Sub Workbook_Deactivate() Dim bar As CommandBar For Each bar In Application.CommandBars bar.Enabled = True Next...

Help with "unexpected file lock"
I have an excel spreadsheet with multiple pages shared on our network (Server 2K and office 2K). Multiple users access it to make changes to their page (most users run win 2000 pro) but I have one person that receives the error, "unexpected file lock" for their name and are unable to save changes to the spreadsheet (he was running win NT). If he logged on to another machine on the network he don't get the error. We gave this person a new machine with win 2000 pro and office 2000 and still get the error. Any Ideas. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Joe O ...

regarding the importing of look fields in MS CRM from .csv file
hi everyone, i have to import the look up field name lead territory which is their in lead entity and in the . csv file. this lead territory field ismapped with region entity i.e all the fields that are their in region entity are there is .csv file . i have to import the look up field in crm .first of all i replaced the lead territory in csv file to its correspondong GUid and passed it with the help of bulk import wizard but when i m mapping the look up fields source field will be the guid tha i have placed in .csv file but here and target field should be the field that is present in the reg...

Shared file keeps losing connection
I have a shared workbook, and sometimes when I work on it, it seems to lose connection with the shared file. (as it happens, its a 2003 file operating on both 2003 and 2007, but I don't think that's related to the problem) The workbook has VBA modules in, nothing very complicated though. and I get the following message: 'You are no longer connected to this file. Another user may have removed you, or saved over it.' The file is always still there, and we haven't been removed. It is infuriating for everyone involved. Is there a way of getting it to automa...

Determine which databases on network a table is linked to?
I have a table that is referenced in many other databases out on our network. We need to update and move the location of the source table, but before we do so we need to understand which other databases will be impacted. Is there a way to determine which databases are linking to this specific table? Like a Linked Table Manager in reverse? Help is appreciated. RJK No, there's no equivalent of an inverse Linked Table Manager. It would be impossible to build one, since realistically the "linked to" database has no idea what's accessing the data inside it. Even if you were t...

Can't save with any office 2007 excel or word files to shared netw
this morning we can't seem to save any files to a shared network drive when using excel or word. we can save locally (to the C drive) and then with windows copy to the shared network folder. We can use excel or word to open from a shared network folder, just cant save it. only thing that has changed is we had 10 updates yesterday and this morning when we started our machines, issue started. ...

Searching for text string in Excel files
Trying to located Excel files containing a specific text string. Windows XP Search does not find (though string does exist!). Any suggestions? Thanks. I've never used this (won't run in win98), but it sounds really promising: http://desktop.google.com/ (And I think you're limited to local harddrives--no network drives) Bill Finegan wrote: > > Trying to located Excel files containing a specific text string. Windows XP > Search does not find (though string does exist!). Any suggestions? Thanks. -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com Bill Use the FREE downloadable Agen...

Compress files
Hi, Over the past few days a pop-up window has appeared whenever Win XP SP3 is started asking if I want Outlook Express to compress files. The ONLY options are Yes, No and the red X. I normally use Outlook 2003 only. I have used Outlook Express a few times when the news reader was playing up. How do I stop this annoying pop-up appearing? What will be the effect on Outlook if Outlook Express does compress the files? -- Cheers . . . JC JC wrote: > Over the past few days a pop-up window has appeared whenever Win > XP SP3 is started asking if I want Outlook Express to compress ...

Export Exchange 5.5 Mailbox resouces to CSV file.
I know how to export the Private Information store--Mailbox resouces to a csv by Click on "Save Window Contents" Is there a way I can do this from the command line? I am trying to do it from a either a batch file or a VBScript Thanks for any input Mark http://www.imibo.com/imidev/Exchange/imims.htm IMI Mailbox Statistics - look for IMI Mailbox Statistics Console Application" (as separate download). With this add-on (which is totally independent application), most MS-Exchange administrators can to automate their tasks and be more productive. Add-on export information to Com...

save as text file creates unwanted quotes
I have a worksheet that when saved as a text file using the "tab delimented .txt", quotation marks appear around some of the strings. These quotation marks do not show up in Excel, only in the text file. If I retype one of these lines of text in Excel, the quotations do not show up on the next text file saved. It appears as if it is some formatting that I cannot see in excel that is extracted when saved as a text file. Can anyone help? Do you have commas in your data? If there is a cell with a comma in it, Excel will put quotes around the data, so that when a csv parser reads...

Converting from .CSV to .XLS without opening file
Is there any way to convert a file with a .csv extension to .xls without opening the actual .csv file? The reason I need to do this is since I have about 100 .csv files that need to be converted. Regards, Sumit Khanna No. I'd write a macro but even manually this wouldn't take 30 minutes. You could be done already!<g> -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Sumit Khanna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2d73601c46a71$9da261d0$a401280a@phx.gbl... | Is there any way to convert a file with a .csv extension | to .xls without opening the actual .csv...

shared database on network server
I have a database on a shared folder network that can be accessed by about 50 people. I made sure it was in shared mode and there are no locks. if i access the database through my network folder through one of the drives everything is fine. however, if i use the hyperlink of the mapped database some problems arise. first of all when i (or the other people who i've asked to try this) open it, there is a security pop up that is an unknown publisher. you can either run or dont run. if you run (almost) everything works fine. you can edit the database. if you dont hit run, then its read ...

Wordwrapped cell content is lost when saved as html file
When I save a spreadsheet as an html file, cell that are set to "wordwrap" display only the first line and there rest of the cell content is lost. Is there any work-around for this? Thanks, Keith Select all cells (Ctrl/shift/A twice), then double-click the line between any two rows (or use Format/Row/Autofit) Bob Umlas Excel MVP "keithb" <kbrickey@dslextreme.com> wrote in message news:emlNN0wFGHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > When I save a spreadsheet as an html file, cell that are set to "wordwrap" > display only the first line and there ...

MS Money 98 Update file
I recently had to reformat and I lost the update for MS Money 98. This is the OFX import function. MS site says it doesn't support this program any more, so it no longer has that file. Where can I get it? TIA, Grammy ...

Currency sign coming up as $ when file saved as =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A3?=
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I am having issues with Office - particularly Excel, changing currency signs to $. I am in the UK and would like the default to be the � sign. Is there a setting I can use to change this? Many Thanks, Random Hi I was just typing a similar question as I am having exactly the same problem. It sounds like it could be a fault. I too would appreciate any help from the folks out there. Yes, it is a known bug, and there is a fix for it in Service Release 12.1.0 which is due out any minute. The issue is that in ANSI, the &q...

Lock or freeze A portion of a formula
I want to lock or freeze a portion of a formula when I drag a formula o copy it Ex. =FREQUENCY(A1:A217,J8) I want to freeze the portio A1:A217 but I want J8 to chang relative to the location Thanks in advance G -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi GT! Use: =FREQUENCY($A$1:$A$217,J8) -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au "opus234 >" <<opus234.17vhyt@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:opus234.17vhyt@excelforum-nospam.com... >I want to lock or freeze a portion of a formula when I drag a formula ...

Importing Inventory file into MS Money Small Busines
Hi there, I currently have my inventory in a Microsoft Access database. Microsoft Money Small Business has an inventory capability but I'd rather not have to re-enter everything there. Since both products are by Microsoft I would think there must be a way to import inventory data from either Microsoft Access or Microsoft Excel at the least. Peachtree does allow you to do this, for example. Anybody know if Money Small Business can? ...

Unable to save excel file
I have an Excel workbookthat is 10mb in size. A number of people ar using a copy of the file, on desktop pc's not a network, most ru without problems so it would appear the file is ok. However, and her is the problem, when one user runs it, he cannot save the file. he gets a message saying document not saved. He can save other excel file but not this one. The user is some way from me so we have to try t sort this over the phone. Apart from the obvious issue of disk space does anybody have any ideas what may be causing this problem. Any hel that you could give will be much appreciated. re...

importing iaf files to outlook 2002
I am moving data from one computer to another on a network. I have exported from outlook express to IAF files but do not know how to import to office 2002. Help...... Take a look at Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 278168 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;278168&Product=offxp It says to do it using the File/Import menu and select "Import Internet Mail Account Settings" - when I try it just says "Internet Warning|No internet accounts were found to import" immediately it's selected. >-----Original Message----- >I am moving da...

GP 9 Client Install
Anyone ever run into an error "A version of .NET Framework isn't detected" when trying to install GP Client version 9???? Any help would be greatly appreciated. ..NET 1.1 and 2.0 are both installed??? I have also uninstalled and re-installed both of these version. Thanks! Cameron Have a look at Knowledge Base (KB) Article 947538. https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;947538 David Musgrave [MSFT] Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions...

How to transfer and copy files from iPod to iPod Touch
[b]How to transfer and copy files from iPod to iPod Touch by drag and drop with the iPod to iPod Touch transfer software.[/b][url=http://www.ipod-to-ipod-touch.com/copy-music-videos-playlists-from-ipod-to-ipod-touch.html][b]iPod 2 iPod[/b][/url] is the best and powerful iPod transfer capability. It can copy music/video/playlist from [b]iPod to iPod Touch[/b] by Drag and Drop. iPod 2 iPod will transfer and copy music/video/playlist from one to one at extremely fast speed. It supports [b]iPod to latest iPod Touch transfer[/b].[b]Guide: How to copy music videos playlists from ipod to ipod touch?[...

Is it possible to password protect a file created in publisher?
I would like to send a newsletter as an attachment to an email and I'd like to protect it from being changed. I'm using Publisher 2003, Windows XP Professional V5.1. There is no way to password protect a Publisher file. Send it as a .pdf. True, if someone had Acrobat it could be changed but there's no guarantee that even if you locked it down that someone couldn't figure out a way to edit it. Try to remember that most people have enough work to do without editing a newsletter - unless they are the Editor. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Marlene ...

Adding a sound file
I use XP office and am creating my first slide show and I am having trouble adding the .wav file so it will stay in the presentation when it is emailed. I have use office help and I am not having any success. The slide show works fine on my PC but when I email it out there is no sound on the recipients computer when they open the .pps file I send. So what could I be doing wrong here? Please help this is important to be achieved! Hi JP This should help: Sounds/Movies don't play, images disappear or links break when I move or email a presentation http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ0...

Import of .pst files from one Outlook to another Outlook
I'm working in Outlook 2002 and my computer has been reinstalled (formated etc.). Now I want to import the old files from Outlook into the exact same Outlook (just reinstalled on a new partition). I can't do this. It's possible to import from Outlook Express and other programs but not form another Outlook! I have the files backed up from earlier. Personal Folders(1).pst Outlook.pst extend.dat archive.pst I can't believe it's not possible to import these files... Please help me. Morten Why are you trying to import a native Outlook file type? (BTW - you can only use ...