Negative Seconds

I have a list of times (splits from a rowing machine), like so:

02:36.3
02:28.5
02:38.7
02:29.4

and I want to plot them as an oscillator, above and below 02:30.0. In other
words subtract each time from 02:30.0 (2 minutes 30 seconds). Excel has a
problem when the result is negative. 02:30.0 - 02:28.5 is fine (= +00:01.5),
but it cannot do 02:30.0 - 02:36.3 (which I would like to = -00:06.3).

Can this be done?

Thanks,

Steve

0
steveal (9)

Steve,

Try applying 1904 system (Tools -- Options -- Calculation).

NB - this will adjust any dates you may have entered already. If applicable,
copy them out to another file first.

HTH,
Andy

0
andy.j.brown (443)
9/10/2003 10:58:55 AM
"Steve Almond" <steveal@nildram.co.useless> wrote in message
> I have a list of times (splits from a rowing machine), like so:
>
> 02:36.3
> 02:28.5
> 02:38.7
> 02:29.4
>
> and I want to plot them as an oscillator, above and below 02:30.0. In
other
> words subtract each time from 02:30.0 (2 minutes 30 seconds). Excel has a
> problem when the result is negative. 02:30.0 - 02:28.5 is fine (=
+00:01.5),
> but it cannot do 02:30.0 - 02:36.3 (which I would like to = -00:06.3).
>
> Can this be done?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Steve,

In Tools-->Options-->Calculation, check the "1904 date system". Your
negative time difference should display correctly.

0
sfl555 (7)
9/10/2003 10:59:52 AM
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:17:36 +0100, "Steve Almond" <steveal@nildram.co.useless>
wrote:

>I have a list of times (splits from a rowing machine), like so:
>
>02:36.3
>02:28.5
>02:38.7
>02:29.4
>
>and I want to plot them as an oscillator, above and below 02:30.0. In other
>words subtract each time from 02:30.0 (2 minutes 30 seconds). Excel has a
>problem when the result is negative. 02:30.0 - 02:28.5 is fine (= +00:01.5),
>but it cannot do 02:30.0 - 02:36.3 (which I would like to = -00:06.3).
>
>Can this be done?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve

While Excel (using the 1900 date system) cannot display negative times, it does
calculate them properly.

Since your differences will likely be in seconds and tenths of seconds, you can
convert your differences into decimal numbers by multiplying by 86400 (number
of seconds in a day).  Format as General; or as Number with 1 decimal place;
and plot the results.

--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
9/10/2003 11:22:27 AM
The 1904 solution works perfectly, thanks.
Happily, it seems only to apply to the particular sheet, also.

Thanks,

Steve

"Steve Almond" <steveal@nildram.co.useless> wrote in message
> I have a list of times (splits from a rowing machine), like so:
>
> 02:36.3
> 02:28.5
> 02:38.7
> 02:29.4
>
> and I want to plot them as an oscillator, above and below 02:30.0. In
other
> words subtract each time from 02:30.0 (2 minutes 30 seconds). Excel has a
> problem when the result is negative. 02:30.0 - 02:28.5 is fine (=
+00:01.5),
> but it cannot do 02:30.0 - 02:36.3 (which I would like to = -00:06.3).
>
> Can this be done?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

0
steveal (9)
9/10/2003 1:34:47 PM
When you wrote "the particular sheet", did you mean "the particular workbook" or
did you really mean sheet?

For me it changed all the dates in all the worksheets of that particular
workbook.

(and it can cause a problem if you merge dates between workbooks that have
different base dates.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

second server
we have one server configured in exchange 5.0 (i know, i should upgrade), but we want to add another server so we'll have one address of @123.com and a second of @456.com for example. is this possible on 5.0 or should i just upgrade. thanks for any help. Exchange 5.0 will handle mail for both domains on the one server. Or do you have another reason to use a second server ? -- Ian "rick stokka" wrote: > we have one server configured in exchange 5.0 (i know, i should upgrade), > but we want to add another server so we'll have one > address of @123.com and a ...

Special format for negative figures #2
How do I get parenthesis i.e. () for negative % Ex: (-5%) as we get for numbers Though managed to get it red coloured thru Conditional Formating Pls Help -- Dr. Sachin Wagh MBBS, DHA, DPH Highlight the cells you want to format this way Right click on the cells and select > Format Cells On the number Tab, choose Custom In the "Type" box enter: 0.00%_);[Red](0.00%) "Dr. Sachin Wagh" wrote: > How do I get parenthesis i.e. () for negative % > Ex: (-5%) > as we get for numbers > > Though managed to get it red coloured thru Conditional Formating > &g...

Negative Data Labels in a Pie Chart
Has anyone encountered a problem in Microsoft Excel 2003 with pie charts where negative values data labels show up with reverse brackets (i.e. )5( )? I sent this spreadsheet that I am working on to my home computer and when I opened it up in Microsoft Excel 2002 the negative number label appeared correctly (i.e. (5) ). I know the ultimate idea of a pie chart is not to have a negative number, but on my pie chart I am showing total earnings for different areas. I am open to other chart representations to show total earnings for multiple (10 areas). Thanks. I've heard of this...

negative numbers on line chart
When creating a line chart the negative numbers appear below the X labbels. I do know how to change a bar chart to place the X labels below the bars rather than in the middel, but I can't figure it out for a line chart. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Ann I found my answer. I went to http://www.andypope.info/tips/tip008.htm, "ann" wrote: > When creating a line chart the negative numbers appear below the > X labbels. I do know how to change a bar chart to place the X labels below > the bars rather than in the middel, but I can't figure it out f...

Negative sales quantities with Integration Manager
SQL Opt 8.0 should allow negative sales quantities, just like Great Plains 8.0 and Integration Manager Standard 8.0. We use IM to import 1300 invoices each day. We do so with SQL Opt, but negative invoices are rejected. These must then be run thru a standard integration to into Great Plains. Out of curiosity, how long does the 1300 orders take with Integration Manager to process through? On average how many line items per invoice? Thanks. Alan "mike.thompson" <mike.thompson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D00C29E1-0A99-48B2-ADFB-2BAE5E679F3E@mi...

Show time as minutes and seconds only
I've got a table with times, and I'd like the table to show those times as MM:SS (minutes:seconds) only. Don't see how I can do that in Access 2003. Thank you kindly. Set the field's Format property to nn:ss -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "John Bartley K7AAY" <JohnBartleyK7AAY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24F28E1B-AC6E-461D-9928-A2CFADBAA743@microsoft.com... > I've got a table with times, and I'd like the table to show those times as > MM:SS (minutes:seconds) onl...

How do I use degrees, minutes and seconds in excel.
I am trying to add and subtract degrees, minutesand seconds using excel anfd I have been unable to find the properway to enter the number. For example, 45deg 30min 20sec, how would I enter this in a cell so that I can set up a worksheet to add or subtract cells with angular information? Thank you http://www.cpearson.com/excel/latlong.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com (remove ^^ from email address) Portland, Oregon "RAY" <RAY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9349F0B1-958B-4D47-8B05-433134A28AA1@micro...

count the # of consecutive negative #'s in a range
hello, I was wondering if there is a worksheet function that will do this. e.g. i have a range with some #s like so... -8 9 7 -8 -9 6 4 8 -8 -9 -2 -3 5 -8 -9 6 what i want is to count the consecutive # of negative #'s in this list for the example above the answer will be 4 (-8 -9 -2 -3) is this possible or do i have to write a macro for this -- newToExce ----------------------------------------------------------------------- newToExcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2719 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/sh...

Formatting negative numbers
Is it possible to format cells so that 53- is read as the number -53? And if so, is it also possible to format cells so that both -53 and 53 are read as -53? Thanks Matthe -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Matthew If you are running XL2002 or 2003 you can do this through Data>Text to Columns Select the range of cells then Data>Text to Columns>Fixed>Next>Advanced> check "trailing minus for negative numbers">Finish. If earlier version of Excel, you cannot Format, you have to switch the sign using VBA. Sub ChangeSign() Dim cell As Range ...

15+ second delays
Outlook takes up 100% of CPU and takes 15+ seconds to execute any of the following: 1. click on "New" email message 2. click on "Reply" to an existing message 3. Swap between another window (say IE) and the main Outlook window This is intermittent - sometimes things are quick. thanks bijoy bijoy <bijoy@yahoo.com> wrote: > Outlook takes up 100% of CPU and takes 15+ seconds to > execute any of the following: Which version of Outlook? If it's 2002 or 2003, try disabling IM integration at the bottom of the Tools>Options>Other page. -- Brian Till...

Removing dual boot and XpPro on second drive -saga ends
I posted earlier asking about what might happen removing Xp and the dual boot screen. I didn't print that info out and take it with me to the repair shop. A 'shoulda done' situation <grin> I did verbalize the commands for editing that were listed in the replies to my query to the computer person. BUT that wasn't info that he had in his list of things to do....nothing he did worked which included going through the repair dialog choices. He had a utility that allowed him to look at the Xp directory and there was a Boot listing there. In the disk management the...

Don't want second sentence of e-mail tstart with capital letter?
When I receive e-mails, I only see my name on the e-mail. My old Outlook would tell me who sent it. Now, I see just my name until I open it to find out who sent it. How to change this to show sender Whats your Q got to do with the subject line? "Jimmylee" <Jimmylee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2844A70-D48D-4C4B-8E5F-9FA3ED5BE413@microsoft.com... > When I receive e-mails, I only see my name on the e-mail. > My old Outlook would tell me who sent it. > Now, I see just my name until I open it to find out who sent it. > How to change th...

converting from seconds to minutes
Hi all, I have converted 4.52 to true seconds but how can I make it so the seconds that seconds are converted back to true minutes thanks. -- Reign ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Reign's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29134 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=489264 Divide by 60 will get you decimal minutes, i.e. 4.5 is equivalent to 4mins 30sec. If you want Excel format times, divide by 60 by 60 by 24 and format the cell as [m]:ss. This will show the time of 1:01:01,...

Positioning x axis at bottom of chart with negative values
Im using Office 2007 and have a simple line chart with negative values on the Y axis. I have ticked the 'values in reverse order' on the Y axis but the X axis flipped to the top of the chart. How can I keep it at the bottom please? Thank you Format the y-axis and specify what value is to cross the x-axis best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "Debs1967" <Debs1967@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B62818F0-EC87-4E95-812F-F58F3931C0BA@microsoft.com... > Im using Office 2007 and have a simple...

How to Accept Mail for a Second Domain
Due to a merger, I need to accept mail for a second domain. Where in Exchange 2003 do I make the necessary changes? Enrique Create a new MX record, then create a new recipient policy Hosting Multiple SMTP Domains on Exchange 2000 http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF010.html James Chong (MVP) MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ msexchangetips.blogspot.com On Mar 7, 3:00 pm, "Enrique" <enri...@avertinc.com> wrote: > Due to a merger, I need to accept mail for a second domain. Where in > Exchange 2003 do I make the necessary changes? > > Enrique ...

OWA on second member server
Hi This is the first time I have posted to a forum so bear with me. We currently have a single domain with multiple sites. Two of these sites have member servers running Exchange 2003. These Exchange servers are in the same routing group and mail delivery\public folder replication is working. We have a public URL pointing to the first server and OWA works fine for mailboxes on the first server. However if we try and access mailboxes on the second server it fails, returning "Page cannot be displayed." Is it possible to access mailboxes on the second server through this single URL (...

Excel, change column of negative numbers to positive numbers?
If I need to quickly change an entire column (800 rows) of negative numbers to positive numbers, what is the easiest way. I tried the paste special multiply by -1, but it didn't work, I'm probably doing it wrong. If your data is in A1:A10 and -1 is in B1, then copy B1, select A1:A10 and click edit/paste special/multiply. "Nita" wrote: > If I need to quickly change an entire column (800 rows) of negative numbers > to positive numbers, what is the easiest way. I tried the paste special > multiply by -1, but it didn't work, I'm probably doing it wrong...

Negative Lots after SP4 Installation.
We have recently upgraded from Microsoft Dynamics GP 10 Sp3 to SP4 but we are running into some issues like: 1) System is showing Negative Lots and if we want to select any lot for adjustment the system thrown an error "a quantity is not available to sell for this item" Thanks Sajid Sajid After you run the item reconciliation utility in Inventory does it still do this? I would also run the PSTL reconciliation utility (free). Kind regards, Leslie "Sajid" wrote: > We have recently upgraded from Microsoft Dynamics GP 10 Sp3 to SP4 but we a...

negative numbers in smartlists
When generating my items usage in a smartlist the quantity comes up xxxx-. Excel does not recognize this field as a number. Consequently, I can't do a calculation on this field in Excel. Is this a formatting that can be changed up front in GP? If not, is there an easy way to reformat the fields in Excel? Ok -- I have discovered that on at least 1 other person's workstation the number comes in as a number when running this smartlist. A GP formatting question? ...

degrees minutes and seconds
how can i make an angle in decimal show as an angle in degrees minut and seconds -- grandfilt ----------------------------------------------------------------------- grandfilth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2824 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48665 On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:36:14 -0600, grandfilth <grandfilth.1ysv4m_1132497601.1679@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: > >how can i make an angle in decimal show as an angle in degrees minuts >and seconds? A1: Decimal Angle B1: =A1/24 Format/Cells/N...

Adding a second employee to an event
I have built an Operations Log database. In the database I have built built the following tables. tblLab(Lab where testing will occur) tblCustomer(customer who will test) tblEquipment(each piece of equipment we operate) tblEvent(particulars of event, i.e. startdate, starttime, enddate, endtime, purpose, employeeID) tblEventDetails(set up like an order, where the customer "orders" each piece of equipmnet for the event) tblEmployees(all possible employees from my group) Relationships have been laid out and the database is functioning properly if I only use one employ...

Time inputted as minutes and seconds Excel
When inputting time that is in minutes and seconds I have to use a decimal and a zero. i.e. mm:ss.o. Can I reformat so I can input as mm:ss -- EDba No. Formatting has no effect on how XL parses the entry (unless you set the format to Text, in which case you won't get an XL time). You could use an event macro to divide your entry by 60. Here's one way. Put this in your worksheet code module (right-click the worksheet tab and choose View Code): Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) With Target If .Count > 1 Then Exit Sub ...

Need a excel formula which can see the second moving
Dear sir, I set an excel formula =NOW() which show the time. However, the time will only refresh when I hit the formula. My question is that is there possible to set a excel formula which we can see the second (ss) moving? Many thanks, Wilchong -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com You can use an OnTime event macro to perform periodic re-calculations. See: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/OnTime.aspx -- Gary''s Student - gsnu2007L "wilchong via OfficeKB.com" wrote: > Dear sir, > I set an excel formula =NOW() which show the time. However, the time wi...

Putting the value from second axis above the "bar"?
Hi, I like using combination charts with second value axis, where one useful combination is first axe display bar and second a line. However, would it be possible to have the second axis display its proper value (digit) above the bar? In my case the bar would display a sum-value (customer turnover) and second value displays total number of customers. Kindly, Mikael Sweden You could add a label to the bar, locate it above the bar, and use the other label. You can manually edit a label, or use one of these free utilities to add a custom label: Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler, http:/...

#num error if negative value.
I have the following formula that gives me a #num error when one of my cell reference is negative? Any ideas how to the value without making the result or the cell reference positive? =IF(ISBLANK(M25),"",(Q25/M25)^(1/4)-1) m25 q25 1.14 -0.73 Thanks a million! Really need this! Dave One way: =IF(M25="","",IF(Q25/M25>=0,(Q25/M25)^(1/4)-1,"-1+" & ABS(Q25/M25)^(1/4) & "i^(1/2)")) In article <0ac601c4f4c6$ada09220$a301280a@phx.gbl>, "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > ...