Negative Numbers in Brackets - HELP!

Hi,

I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my 
negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works.  I am desparate.  The 
regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but 
when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show in 
brackets.

I have Windows XP, Office 2003.

Please help me...

Thanks.

0
Hlne (7)
2/16/2005 2:57:04 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

20 Replies
651 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 57

Are they seen as numbers at all? Widen the cell, don't force any aligment,
are the numbers left or right aligned, if they are left they are seen as
text
you can also try

=ISTEXT(cell)

if it returns TRUE they are text, if so try copy an empty cell, select the
numbers
and do paste special and select add.

-- 

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"H�l�ne" <Hlne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4C3A1FB3-9B6B-4D40-A487-169A39395F28@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my
> negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works.  I am desparate.
The
> regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but
> when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show
in
> brackets.
>
> I have Windows XP, Office 2003.
>
> Please help me...
>
> Thanks.
>


0
terre081 (3244)
2/16/2005 3:04:48 PM
Thank you for your reply.  They are seen as numbers, I have not forced any 
alignment and they are right-aligned, by default.

I have seen multiple suggestions on this site, I have tried them all, except 
for the "unregister/register", etc.

Could it be a bug?



"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> Are they seen as numbers at all? Widen the cell, don't force any aligment,
> are the numbers left or right aligned, if they are left they are seen as
> text
> you can also try
> 
> =ISTEXT(cell)
> 
> if it returns TRUE they are text, if so try copy an empty cell, select the
> numbers
> and do paste special and select add.
> 
> -- 
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Peo Sjoblom
> 
> "Hélène" <Hlne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:4C3A1FB3-9B6B-4D40-A487-169A39395F28@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my
> > negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works.  I am desparate.
> The
> > regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but
> > when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show
> in
> > brackets.
> >
> > I have Windows XP, Office 2003.
> >
> > Please help me...
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> 
> 
> 
0
Hlne (7)
2/16/2005 3:13:14 PM
Put -10 in a cell, select the cell, do format>cells>number>custom and use

General;(General)

what happens?

-- 

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom


"H�l�ne" <Hlne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F7AB4283-BFC0-4826-9601-C5D44DDCE1C4@microsoft.com...
> Thank you for your reply.  They are seen as numbers, I have not forced any
> alignment and they are right-aligned, by default.
>
> I have seen multiple suggestions on this site, I have tried them all,
except
> for the "unregister/register", etc.
>
> Could it be a bug?
>
>
>
> "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
>
> > Are they seen as numbers at all? Widen the cell, don't force any
aligment,
> > are the numbers left or right aligned, if they are left they are seen as
> > text
> > you can also try
> >
> > =ISTEXT(cell)
> >
> > if it returns TRUE they are text, if so try copy an empty cell, select
the
> > numbers
> > and do paste special and select add.
> >
> > -- 
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Peo Sjoblom
> >
> > "H�l�ne" <Hlne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:4C3A1FB3-9B6B-4D40-A487-169A39395F28@microsoft.com...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get
my
> > > negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works.  I am
desparate.
> > The
> > > regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets
but
> > > when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to
show
> > in
> > > brackets.
> > >
> > > I have Windows XP, Office 2003.
> > >
> > > Please help me...
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> >
> >
> >


0
terre081 (3244)
2/16/2005 3:19:56 PM
Hi Helene,

A couple of questions:

(a) I take it that right now negative numbers show up as if they were 
positive, e.g., minus 35 shows up on your worksheet as "35."  Correct?

(b) In Control Panel did you change the regional setting for numbers, for 
currency, or for both?

Regards,

Batara

"Hélène" wrote:

> Thank you for your reply.  They are seen as numbers, I have not forced any 
> alignment and they are right-aligned, by default.
> 
> I have seen multiple suggestions on this site, I have tried them all, except 
> for the "unregister/register", etc.
> 
> Could it be a bug?
> 
> 
> 
> "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
> 
> > Are they seen as numbers at all? Widen the cell, don't force any aligment,
> > are the numbers left or right aligned, if they are left they are seen as
> > text
> > you can also try
> > 
> > =ISTEXT(cell)
> > 
> > if it returns TRUE they are text, if so try copy an empty cell, select the
> > numbers
> > and do paste special and select add.
> > 
> > -- 
> > 
> > Regards,
> > 
> > Peo Sjoblom
> > 
> > "Hélène" <Hlne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:4C3A1FB3-9B6B-4D40-A487-169A39395F28@microsoft.com...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my
> > > negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works.  I am desparate.
> > The
> > > regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but
> > > when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show
> > in
> > > brackets.
> > >
> > > I have Windows XP, Office 2003.
> > >
> > > Please help me...
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > 
> > 
> > 
0
Batara (1)
2/16/2005 3:27:06 PM
Hélène wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my 
> negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works.  I am desparate.  The 
> regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but 
> when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show in 
> brackets.
> 
> I have Windows XP, Office 2003.
> 
> Please help me...
> 
> Thanks.
> 
Excel does NOT use the windows regional setting! (ANOTHER example of MS 
not doing joined-up thinking - Lotus DOES however, but that's not an MS 
product is it?). You have to use Custom Formatting.

-- 
Interim Systems and Management Accounting
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
0
gordonbp11 (453)
2/16/2005 3:34:19 PM
Batara,

a) No the number shows as -10.
b) I changed both.

;0(


"Batara" wrote:

> Hi Helene,
> 
> A couple of questions:
> 
> (a) I take it that right now negative numbers show up as if they were 
> positive, e.g., minus 35 shows up on your worksheet as "35."  Correct?
> 
> (b) In Control Panel did you change the regional setting for numbers, for 
> currency, or for both?
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Batara
> 
> "Hélène" wrote:
> 
> > Thank you for your reply.  They are seen as numbers, I have not forced any 
> > alignment and they are right-aligned, by default.
> > 
> > I have seen multiple suggestions on this site, I have tried them all, except 
> > for the "unregister/register", etc.
> > 
> > Could it be a bug?
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
> > 
> > > Are they seen as numbers at all? Widen the cell, don't force any aligment,
> > > are the numbers left or right aligned, if they are left they are seen as
> > > text
> > > you can also try
> > > 
> > > =ISTEXT(cell)
> > > 
> > > if it returns TRUE they are text, if so try copy an empty cell, select the
> > > numbers
> > > and do paste special and select add.
> > > 
> > > -- 
> > > 
> > > Regards,
> > > 
> > > Peo Sjoblom
> > > 
> > > "Hélène" <Hlne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:4C3A1FB3-9B6B-4D40-A487-169A39395F28@microsoft.com...
> > > > Hi,
> > > >
> > > > I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my
> > > > negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works.  I am desparate.
> > > The
> > > > regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but
> > > > when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show
> > > in
> > > > brackets.
> > > >
> > > > I have Windows XP, Office 2003.
> > > >
> > > > Please help me...
> > > >
> > > > Thanks.
> > > >
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
0
Hlne (7)
2/16/2005 3:35:08 PM
I did as suggested and nothing happens, i.e., the format stays at -10.



"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> Put -10 in a cell, select the cell, do format>cells>number>custom and use
> 
> General;(General)
> 
> what happens?
> 
> -- 
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Peo Sjoblom
> 
> 
> "Hélène" <Hlne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:F7AB4283-BFC0-4826-9601-C5D44DDCE1C4@microsoft.com...
> > Thank you for your reply.  They are seen as numbers, I have not forced any
> > alignment and they are right-aligned, by default.
> >
> > I have seen multiple suggestions on this site, I have tried them all,
> except
> > for the "unregister/register", etc.
> >
> > Could it be a bug?
> >
> >
> >
> > "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
> >
> > > Are they seen as numbers at all? Widen the cell, don't force any
> aligment,
> > > are the numbers left or right aligned, if they are left they are seen as
> > > text
> > > you can also try
> > >
> > > =ISTEXT(cell)
> > >
> > > if it returns TRUE they are text, if so try copy an empty cell, select
> the
> > > numbers
> > > and do paste special and select add.
> > >
> > > -- 
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Peo Sjoblom
> > >
> > > "Hélène" <Hlne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:4C3A1FB3-9B6B-4D40-A487-169A39395F28@microsoft.com...
> > > > Hi,
> > > >
> > > > I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get
> my
> > > > negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works.  I am
> desparate.
> > > The
> > > > regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets
> but
> > > > when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to
> show
> > > in
> > > > brackets.
> > > >
> > > > I have Windows XP, Office 2003.
> > > >
> > > > Please help me...
> > > >
> > > > Thanks.
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> 
> 
> 
0
Hlne (7)
2/16/2005 3:35:08 PM
Oh!  Well, this is the first time I read this although, in this case, it 
makes perfect sense...  However, many times, on this site, the suggestion to 
change the Windows settings was made.  Interesting...

Well, in any case, I cannot find a way to force the custom formatting to 
display negative numbers in brackets (no decimals, simple numbers).

Hélène

"Gordon" wrote:

> Hélène wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 
> > I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my 
> > negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works.  I am desparate.  The 
> > regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but 
> > when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show in 
> > brackets.
> > 
> > I have Windows XP, Office 2003.
> > 
> > Please help me...
> > 
> > Thanks.
> > 
> Excel does NOT use the windows regional setting! (ANOTHER example of MS 
> not doing joined-up thinking - Lotus DOES however, but that's not an MS 
> product is it?). You have to use Custom Formatting.
> 
> -- 
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
> 
0
Hlne (7)
2/16/2005 3:49:14 PM
Gordon, it seems that you were right after all.  Windows settings have 
nothing to do with this.  Here's the solution:  Go to Format, Style, Number 
and apply this format:  _ * # ##0_);_ * (# ##0);_ * "-    "_);_ @_ .

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions.

Hélène

"Gordon" wrote:

> Hélène wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 
> > I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my 
> > negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works.  I am desparate.  The 
> > regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but 
> > when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show in 
> > brackets.
> > 
> > I have Windows XP, Office 2003.
> > 
> > Please help me...
> > 
> > Thanks.
> > 
> Excel does NOT use the windows regional setting! (ANOTHER example of MS 
> not doing joined-up thinking - Lotus DOES however, but that's not an MS 
> product is it?). You have to use Custom Formatting.
> 
> -- 
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
> 
0
Hlne (7)
2/16/2005 3:53:13 PM
Helene

Gordon is not correct.

Windows Regional Settings control Excel's default number formatting.

Make the changes in Regional Settings to bracketed numbers and currency.

Excel must be closed and re-opened for changes to be seen in Excel.


Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:53:13 -0800, "H�l�ne" <Hlne@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Gordon, it seems that you were right after all.  Windows settings have 
>nothing to do with this.  Here's the solution:  Go to Format, Style, Number 
>and apply this format:  _ * # ##0_);_ * (# ##0);_ * "-    "_);_ @_ .
>
>Thank you everyone for all your suggestions.
>
>H�l�ne
>
>"Gordon" wrote:
>
>> H�l�ne wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > 
>> > I have read every questions and replies on this site in order to get my 
>> > negative numbers to show in brackets and nothing works.  I am desparate.  The 
>> > regional settings are changed to indicate negative numbers in brackets but 
>> > when I try formatting the cells in Excel, I cannot get the numbers to show in 
>> > brackets.
>> > 
>> > I have Windows XP, Office 2003.
>> > 
>> > Please help me...
>> > 
>> > Thanks.
>> > 
>> Excel does NOT use the windows regional setting! (ANOTHER example of MS 
>> not doing joined-up thinking - Lotus DOES however, but that's not an MS 
>> product is it?). You have to use Custom Formatting.
>> 
>> -- 
>> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
>> Gordon Burgess-Parker
>> Director
>> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
>> 

0
Gord
2/16/2005 5:32:51 PM
Gord Dibben wrote:
> Helene
> 
> Gordon is not correct.
> 
> Windows Regional Settings control Excel's default number formatting.
> 

Well it's *NEVER* worked for me in *ANY* version of Excel on *ANY* 
machine I've *EVER* worked on, and that goes back to Office 95 on 
Windows 95 right through to Office 2002 on XP SP2. And I use Excel 
extensively every day in every job I've had for the last 10 years.


-- 
Interim Systems and Management Accounting
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
0
gordonbp11 (453)
2/16/2005 5:53:13 PM
Gordon wrote:
> Gord Dibben wrote:
> 
>> Helene
>>
>> Gordon is not correct.
>>
>> Windows Regional Settings control Excel's default number formatting.
>>
> 
> Well it's *NEVER* worked for me in *ANY* version of Excel on *ANY* 
> machine I've *EVER* worked on, and that goes back to Office 95 on 
> Windows 95 right through to Office 2002 on XP SP2. And I use Excel 
> extensively every day in every job I've had for the last 10 years.
> 
> 
And I've never known it work for any of the hundreds of colleagues I've 
worked with over those ten years either. EVERYONE has ALWAYS had to use 
custom formats.

-- 
Interim Systems and Management Accounting
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
0
gordonbp11 (453)
2/16/2005 5:58:17 PM
1234Hi all;

On my Windows XP Home:
Start> Control Panel> Regional and Language Options> Regional Options 
"English (United States)> Customize>
Numbers> Negative number format: -1.1
Currency> Negative currency format: ($1.1)
I switch to Excel 2003.
Enter -10 in a cell, it shows as -10. Change the format of that cell to 
currency, it shows ($10.00). Both happen to match the Windows regional 
settings. Is that a coincidence? I'm not curious enough to change those, as 
they suit me for a default, but I've never had a problem formatting a 
negative number with brackets, and without going all the way to a Format> 
Cells> Number> Custom.
Format> Cells> Number> Number> Negative numbers
shows -1,234.10 in black, then the same in red, then (1,234.10) in black, 
followed by (1,234.10) in red. This matches my admittedly poor memory of 
previous versions of Excel. Choosing the black with brackets and reducing the 
decimal places to zero shows the format preview (1,234), and results in (10) 
displayed in the cell.    
Going to Format> Cells> Number> Custom
on that cell now shows:  #,##0_);(#,##0)
a far cry from:   _ * # ##0_);_ * (# ##0);_ * "-    "_);_ @_ .
I am real curious as to why it was not that simple for Hélène. I don't 
suppose anyone knows?

Regards,
Ian.
 

"Gordon" wrote:

> Gordon wrote:
> > Gord Dibben wrote:
> > 
> >> Helene
> >>
> >> Gordon is not correct.
> >>
> >> Windows Regional Settings control Excel's default number formatting.
> >>
> > 
> > Well it's *NEVER* worked for me in *ANY* version of Excel on *ANY* 
> > machine I've *EVER* worked on, and that goes back to Office 95 on 
> > Windows 95 right through to Office 2002 on XP SP2. And I use Excel 
> > extensively every day in every job I've had for the last 10 years.
> > 
> > 
> And I've never known it work for any of the hundreds of colleagues I've 
> worked with over those ten years either. EVERYONE has ALWAYS had to use 
> custom formats.
> 
> -- 
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
0
IanRoy (172)
2/17/2005 12:55:01 AM
Ian

Not a coincidence.


Gord(not Gordon)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:55:01 -0800, IanRoy <IanRoy@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>1234Hi all;
>
>On my Windows XP Home:
>Start> Control Panel> Regional and Language Options> Regional Options 
>"English (United States)> Customize>
>Numbers> Negative number format: -1.1
>Currency> Negative currency format: ($1.1)
>I switch to Excel 2003.
>Enter -10 in a cell, it shows as -10. Change the format of that cell to 
>currency, it shows ($10.00). Both happen to match the Windows regional 
>settings. Is that a coincidence? I'm not curious enough to change those, as 
>they suit me for a default, but I've never had a problem formatting a 
>negative number with brackets, and without going all the way to a Format> 
>Cells> Number> Custom.
>Format> Cells> Number> Number> Negative numbers
>shows -1,234.10 in black, then the same in red, then (1,234.10) in black, 
>followed by (1,234.10) in red. This matches my admittedly poor memory of 
>previous versions of Excel. Choosing the black with brackets and reducing the 
>decimal places to zero shows the format preview (1,234), and results in (10) 
>displayed in the cell.    
>Going to Format> Cells> Number> Custom
>on that cell now shows:  #,##0_);(#,##0)
>a far cry from:   _ * # ##0_);_ * (# ##0);_ * "-    "_);_ @_ .
>I am real curious as to why it was not that simple for H�l�ne. I don't 
>suppose anyone knows?
>
>Regards,
>Ian.
> 
>
>"Gordon" wrote:
>
>> Gordon wrote:
>> > Gord Dibben wrote:
>> > 
>> >> Helene
>> >>
>> >> Gordon is not correct.
>> >>
>> >> Windows Regional Settings control Excel's default number formatting.
>> >>
>> > 
>> > Well it's *NEVER* worked for me in *ANY* version of Excel on *ANY* 
>> > machine I've *EVER* worked on, and that goes back to Office 95 on 
>> > Windows 95 right through to Office 2002 on XP SP2. And I use Excel 
>> > extensively every day in every job I've had for the last 10 years.
>> > 
>> > 
>> And I've never known it work for any of the hundreds of colleagues I've 
>> worked with over those ten years either. EVERYONE has ALWAYS had to use 
>> custom formats.
>> 
>> -- 
>> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
>> Gordon Burgess-Parker
>> Director
>> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

0
Gord
2/17/2005 1:41:39 AM
IanRoy wrote:
> 1234Hi all;
> 
> On my Windows XP Home:
> Start> Control Panel> Regional and Language Options> Regional Options 
> "English (United States)> Customize>
> Numbers> Negative number format: -1.1
> Currency> Negative currency format: ($1.1)
> I switch to Excel 2003.
> Enter -10 in a cell, it shows as -10. Change the format of that cell to 
> currency, it shows ($10.00). 

In my version of Excel 2002, when you Format cells to currency, you have 
to choose a format! Either -£ or (£) - there's no "generic" format for 
currency. And an ordinary negative number, ie NOT currency STILL DOES 
NOT USE THE REGIONAL SETTINGS! IT NEVER HAS!


-- 
Interim Systems and Management Accounting
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
0
gordonbp11 (453)
2/17/2005 7:55:40 AM
Close excel

Change that windows regional setting|currency tab|Negative currency format
to show ($1.1)

Open excel

If you click on Format|cells|Number tab
then choose Number, do your formatting options include ()'s for negative
numbers.  

They do for me.

Close excel

Change that windows regional setting|currency tab|Negative currency format
to show -$1.1

Open excel

If you click on Format|cells|Number tab
then choose Number, do your formatting options include ()'s for negative
numbers.  

They do not for me.



Gordon wrote:
> 
> IanRoy wrote:
> > 1234Hi all;
> >
> > On my Windows XP Home:
> > Start> Control Panel> Regional and Language Options> Regional Options
> > "English (United States)> Customize>
> > Numbers> Negative number format: -1.1
> > Currency> Negative currency format: ($1.1)
> > I switch to Excel 2003.
> > Enter -10 in a cell, it shows as -10. Change the format of that cell to
> > currency, it shows ($10.00).
> 
> In my version of Excel 2002, when you Format cells to currency, you have
> to choose a format! Either -£ or (£) - there's no "generic" format for
> currency. And an ordinary negative number, ie NOT currency STILL DOES
> NOT USE THE REGIONAL SETTINGS! IT NEVER HAS!
> 
> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
ec357201 (5290)
2/18/2005 12:08:55 AM
I'm staying the hell out of this one<g>

Don't wish to upset the other Gordon and his hundreds of colleagues.


Gord

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:08:55 -0600, Dave Peterson <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com>
wrote:

>Close excel
>
>Change that windows regional setting|currency tab|Negative currency format
>to show ($1.1)
>
>Open excel
>
>If you click on Format|cells|Number tab
>then choose Number, do your formatting options include ()'s for negative
>numbers.  
>
>They do for me.
>
>Close excel
>
>Change that windows regional setting|currency tab|Negative currency format
>to show -$1.1
>
>Open excel
>
>If you click on Format|cells|Number tab
>then choose Number, do your formatting options include ()'s for negative
>numbers.  
>
>They do not for me.
>
>
>
>Gordon wrote:
>> 
>> IanRoy wrote:
>> > 1234Hi all;
>> >
>> > On my Windows XP Home:
>> > Start> Control Panel> Regional and Language Options> Regional Options
>> > "English (United States)> Customize>
>> > Numbers> Negative number format: -1.1
>> > Currency> Negative currency format: ($1.1)
>> > I switch to Excel 2003.
>> > Enter -10 in a cell, it shows as -10. Change the format of that cell to
>> > currency, it shows ($10.00).
>> 
>> In my version of Excel 2002, when you Format cells to currency, you have
>> to choose a format! Either -£ or (£) - there's no "generic" format for
>> currency. And an ordinary negative number, ie NOT currency STILL DOES
>> NOT USE THE REGIONAL SETTINGS! IT NEVER HAS!
>> 
>> --
>> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
>> Gordon Burgess-Parker
>> Director
>> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

0
Gord
2/18/2005 12:43:13 AM
Dave Peterson wrote:
> Close excel
> 
> Change that windows regional setting|currency tab|Negative currency format
> to show ($1.1)
> 
> Open excel
> 
> If you click on Format|cells|Number tab
> then choose Number, do your formatting options include ()'s for negative
> numbers.  
> 
> They do for me.
> 

They do. That's NOT the point I was making. the point I was making, is 
that in Lotus, if Regional Settings are set to (1.1), then when you 
enter -1.1 in a cell, it is AUTOMATICALLY formatted to (1.1) - you don't 
have to DO anything!


-- 
Interim Systems and Management Accounting
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
0
gordonbp11 (453)
2/18/2005 7:53:23 AM
Gord Dibben wrote:
> I'm staying the hell out of this one<g>
> 
> Don't wish to upset the other Gordon and his hundreds of colleagues.
> 
> 
> Gord
> 

I think we are talking at cross-purposes here! Yes, if regional settings 
are set to (1.1) then in Format Cells-Numbers then yes there is a format 
(1.1). My point was, that in Lotus, if Regional settings are set to 
(1.1) and you enter -1.1 in a cell, then Lotus AUTOMATICALLY formats it 
to (1.1) - you don't have to DO anything. Excel has NEVER done that.


-- 
Interim Systems and Management Accounting
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
0
gordonbp11 (453)
2/18/2005 8:00:20 AM
I don't use Lotus, but I see your point.

Gordon wrote:
> 
> Dave Peterson wrote:
> > Close excel
> >
> > Change that windows regional setting|currency tab|Negative currency format
> > to show ($1.1)
> >
> > Open excel
> >
> > If you click on Format|cells|Number tab
> > then choose Number, do your formatting options include ()'s for negative
> > numbers.
> >
> > They do for me.
> >
> 
> They do. That's NOT the point I was making. the point I was making, is
> that in Lotus, if Regional Settings are set to (1.1), then when you
> enter -1.1 in a cell, it is AUTOMATICALLY formatted to (1.1) - you don't
> have to DO anything!
> 
> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
ec357201 (5290)
2/18/2005 10:08:39 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Need some help with a formula...thanks in advance
I have a tab called Record. Here are the cells it contains: A1: 0-.4 A2: .5-.9 A3: 1.0-1.4 A4: +1.5 A5: PL This repeats in cells A6-A10,A11-A15,etc. In another tab called Graph I have the following in cell B2 (cell B1: 0-.4) =VLOOKUP(B1,Record!A:D,4,0) The above formula works fine as it finds the first 0-.4 and gives me the number in cell D. I would like a formula for cell B3 to find the next occurance of 0-.4 and give me the number in the corresponding cell D. Anyone know how to do it? I belive it is something like this (this is another formula in my spreadhsheet but I can't ...

Help Needed on Complicated Query
Hi- I have a database that has a number of projects and suppliers for these projects. Each project has several contracts being supplied by several suppliers. I have a suppliers form with a contracts subform. What I want to do is create a subform inside the contracts subform where i will be able to add and edit invoices that have been billed against that contract. The matching data is: Same project, supplier, contract Here is the relationship diagram: http://myaccount.dropsend.com/storage/download?file_ids[]=1623882 I need help forming the SQL statement. I'm so...

formula help #47
This is a condensed version of an inventory sheet. It is an inventory of 5 different machines. The sheet is one continuous sheet. Management just wants the total count of each candy charted out by date, by candy. So there will be a line for Snickers plotting the count for 10/2, 10/9, 10/16, 10/23. Then another line for Baby Ruth plotting the count for 10/2, 10/9, 10/16, 10/23. Ect… I am assuming I will have to insert a Bin worksheet to capture the data and sort it. I am lost as to where to start. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! (The chart is not really the issue. I think I ca...

Help with a template file
Im really new here so apologize if this has been asked before. My problem is this: I have created a template file that will be stored on a share drive company wide. What I need is something that when someone uses that template, it will create a unique number in a certain cell and then not change everytime the new .xls file is opened. I would like to have that number pull from 3 cells if possible. I do understand a little bit about macros from what I have learned from this discussion group. But please if its really complicated help me with step by step. Thank You A unique number? Like ...

I need help changing the budget period!
I cannot find where to change the budget time period in this program--I want my budget month to start at the 10th and end at the 9th of the following month instead of the traditional start at the 1st and end on the last day of the month. Does anyone know how to do this! ...

SQL query Help 09-01-10
CREATE TABLE [dbo].[FileHeader]( [LedgerKey] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL, [SubmittedDate] [smalldatetime]NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [FileHeader] PRIMARY KEY NONCLUSTERED ([LedgerKey] ASC )WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY] ) ON [PRIMARY] CREATE TABLE [dbo].[FileBody]( [LedgerKey] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL, [TransactionID] [uniqueidentifier] NOT NULL ) ON [PRIMARY] INSERT INTO [FileBody] ([LedgerKey] ,[TransactionID]) VALUES ('F92B4920-D748-4DF8-9182-E6C524F7840A&#...

HELP with VC++ DIALOG
I am trying to write a simple dialog form and use the appwizard that comes with MS V C++ 6.0. Under "Resource View" tab I have layed out my form as I would like it to look. I want to be able on the click of a radio button to enable or disable the Edit region I have created. I do not understand how to expose that object so that other classes can have access to it. So i have two classes called CDSXGUIApp AND CDSXGUIDlg. When I go to create a function for the action of lick on the radio button it puts the function in CDSXGUIApp. If I define a Edit Region called IDC_EDIT_FNAME ...

OOO Help
I am an Exchange Administrator. LOL. Is this the correct lien of code in OOO to send OOO to outside SMTP's? >-----Original Message----- >Benjamin Kirby <BKirby8677@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > >> I want to setup an OOO and I thought there was a line of >> code or a switch you put at the bottom of your OOO >> message to send to outside SMTP's along with all the >> users in the network GAL. > >The Exchange administrators can enable this function, if they choose. >-- >Brian Tillman >. > .. See; http://support.microsoft.com/?id=...

Auto PO re-Order Help
Ok I use auto re-order to generate PO from lets say X Corp. Min. set @ 10 and Max set @ 40, so I generate Po which auto re-orders 30 Items from X Corp. Now 2 days later I need use auto re-order to create another PO from same vendor but not fpr the Items already on 1st Po/In transist but it does add these same Items if I have sold 3 it tries to order 3 even know I have seven in stock and 30 on the way? Is there a setting to make this program see that I already have 30 on order? -- Proink Have you pout the PO as "Order Placed"? as I know system counts qty on PO. "Proin...

ISA Server 2000 and RPC over HTTP...Tom S. -- HELP!!! (please)
I'm attempting to get RPC over HTTP through ISA Server 2000 to work. My setup is: 1) ISA Server running on W2K Server 2) Exchange Server 2003 running on Windows Server 2003, SP1 I've looked through Tom's 3-part series, but his articles relate to a FE - BE setup -- in my case, FE/BE are on the same box. I've also perused much of the documentation put out by MSFT, but I'm still not making any progress. Is there definitive documentation out there that describes how to configure RPC over HTTP with ISA Server 2000 firewall? Thanks in advance for any and all responses? ...

numbers
how do I set it up so I can type in the numbers from the right side of the keyboard instead of having to type them from above the alphabets? Is the Num Lock key enabled??? -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "siouxweed" <siouxweed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:674E1275-D590-4BFB-B2A0-66FCFBD31CE3@microsoft.com... > how do I set it up so I can type in the numbers from the right side of the > keyboard instead of having to type them from above the alphabe...

How to add Deceimal to numbers?
How do I add a deceimal point to a column of numbers? For example From this 7221732.299 7221732.297 7221732.295 7221732.285 To this 7221.732.299 7221.732.297 7221.732.295 7221.732.285 Thanks Rocky Rocky I feel maybe the two questions you have on these groups are related? If data is in A1 in B1 enter: =LEFT(A1,4)&"."&MID(A1,5,7) -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Rocky Lam" <RockylamATyahooDOTcom> wrote in mess...

Need help on setting up users
Hello all, I am a complete newbie when it comes to CRM. I finally got it installed and I can log into it now http://ironwood-crm:5555 I go to my url and get prompted for credentials and I put in my user ID and Password which I am domain admin with all privelages. Now I want to set up a few other users so we can get to testing and setup. I go to Settings/Business Unit Settings/Users I see me as the only account. If I try and add my boss for example I get an error. The setup is SBS2003 fully patched with SQL Server 2005 standard edition I think and CRM 3.0 all installed on the same machine. I am...

Suddenly Dazzle Can't connect to Outlook 2003 - Interface Error
All of a sudden, my postage printing application Dazzle gets an error when it attempts to access my outlook address book. Previously I would get the message box that an application was trying to access the address book and was that ok.. now I get an error that says �Outlook interface error: Unable to communicate with Outlook.Application {Class ID 0006F03A��} error 2147942526 with a bunch of zeroes after the class ID value that I copied. Any thoughts? Very frustrating. TIA. And Dazzle support said??? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discus...

converting numbers to seconds or minutes
I need enter some numbers in a cell from a hard copy report. The prin out column is in time format eg Let say cell C1 is 1:14 meaning one minute and 14 seconds. However I do not want to type type th colon : I want to type just 114 (to save time in data entry) an convert that automatically to seconds. I guess I need to create a input mask first then convert the number to seconds. What formul will recognize my data entry and convert it to seconds? I guess th value on the data entry is not time but just numerical value -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check out ...

How can I compare two lists of numbers to see if they are the same?
Hi, I have two long lists of data, so two columns. The lists should be th same, what is the easiest way to compare these lists and trace an differences? Thanks a lot in advance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Try vlookup on the lists. If the values r different in one of the lists it will thrwo up th #N error otherwise it will return the value from the othe column -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Yeah, never thought of that, thanks a lot -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Another option is to use the match function. It will also...

Outlook Installatin Big Problem ... Need Urgent Help
Hi I'm trying to install the outlook client (laptop) in a computer but it gives me an warnibg msg : "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted" when I press next, in the middle of the installation it gives me an error :Action Microsoft.crm,setup.client.installabpAction failed Exception from Hresult: or8004010F The computer is in workgroup and not a domain (I'm not sure what it means...) The web client is working perfect Need help ... -- Thx, Omry The laptop must be joined to a domain. If you don't know what that means ask your network a...

Phone number on MS Outlook 2007 inbox view
Is it possible to show phone number (Businnes phone) in Outlook 2007 Inbox view? (list) I an add such column, but no phone number appears. Outlook works with Exchange 2003. I want to show phone numbers stored in Active directory. Best Regards Pawel Jawien "Pawel Jawien" <pawel.jawien@jawien.pl> wrote in message news:16E2FDDD-37B3-44E9-80D3-A0A04B33ABA5@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to show phone number (Businnes phone) in Outlook 2007 Inbox > view? (list) > I an add such column, but no phone number appears. > > Outlook works with Exchange 2003. I wan...

RTV PO Number empty when it shouldn't be
I went to receive an RTV (Transactions >> Returns Management >> RTV Receiving) and got the normal RTV Receiving window. I brought up an RTV that had originated from an RMA and the RTV was marked as having been shipped. WHile all of the other information from the RTV was present, the PO Number field was blank. I checked the FIeld Service Help for this window and it says the following for this field, "RTV PO Number Displays the number of the document associated with the sales invoice for the customer on the RMA document". I checked back to the RM from which thi...

Historical Aged Trial Balance report sort by document number
Currently the Payables HATB report sorts by only two options, GL Posting Date or Document Date. It would be helpful to allow additional sorts or modifications to this report. At present the two sorts are hard coded and regardless of what we put for a custom sort in Report Writer the default report option will override the custom. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to...

how to print mutiple numbered tickets on one page(eg ticket1-10)
I designed some tickets using Publisher 2003 and Excel tracking code to number the tickets using the mail merge function. However, the tickets print on separate pages, how can I get tickets say 3/4 tickets to print on a page eg Ticket Nos. 1-4 will print on a page and so on. I have 225 tickets to print and printing them on separate pages will be a waste of paper as the tickets measure 13cm x 5cm. Please help. When you merge your tickets you can only have one ticket on your screen. Measure your ticket, in page setup, type these measurements, click "change copies per sheet"...

maximum number of email accounts
OL 2002 SP3 Win XP HE SP1 hi, is there a maximum number of email accounts one can have in any one profile for OL to work properly? i am experiencing problems with OL, perhaps my profile, etc. and am trying to troubleshoot. tx there is, but it's quite a few (I think near 50). how many do you have? There will be issues if you have more than 4 collecting from the same mail server. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginne...

Help
I have 2 checking accounts with my bank. I've been using msn bill pay for the 1st account for quite a while and it works great. I've recently set up the 2nd account and gone thru the verificiation step in msn bill pay. Both accounts show up fine on the msn bill pay site and I've paid a bill via the banks bill pay service from the 2nd account. However, when I try pay a bill from within Money 2007, I only have the option for "write check." Any ideas? I am sorry that I do not have any information to help you other than to say that most all banks that support billpay ...

Help with iif statement in query
I have a query which has the following iif statment: Accrued Vacation: (([Consolidated]![Regular Day (REG)]/8)/24) This tells me how many hours have been accrued for vacation in 2008 I have another iif statment in this query which is: Expr1: IIf([Vacation_Balances]![Vacation]=" ",[Accrued Vacation],[Vacation_Balances]![Vacation]) This statement is returning a blank cell for those employees who it should be returning the result from the previous iif statment, however it is returning a blank cell. Can someone help me with this - please let me know what other information is nec...

Help! Trial version always crashes.
Does anybody know what causes this exception after Money signon? Unhandled exception at 0x74985c91 in msmoney.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000. Please don't reply with 'piss poor programming practices', I already know that much. thx ...