Negative number formatting

Hi everyone, does anyone know how to do this? I hve a column of figures
some positive and some negative. I want to format them so taht th
negative numbers are expressed in (brackets) and also so that th
column itself is decimal aligned, so even if I don't use decimal place
the brackets "stick out". I know Word does this in tables, but I can'
seem to make Excel do it. Help! Thanks, Vicky. :confused

--
VickyJone
VickyJones's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2448

How about a custom format of:

#,##0.00_);(#,##0.00);0.00_);@

It uses two decimal spots and whole numbers will be shown like 7.00.

--

Dave Peterson
0

--
VickyJone
VickyJones's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2448
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38083

copy and paste formatting
Hi I am copying and pasting individual files - over 100 of them into 1 file. Each time I paste a new one in the file it keeps it formatting rather than conforming to the format of the file it is being pasted into (ei font type and size and margin settings). Is there a way to paste it so that it automatically changes the format, rather than keeping what it was in the original file? -- Thank-you! Ruth Use Paste Special > Paste Unformatted. On Mar 17, 9:51=A0am, Ruth <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi > > I am copying and pasting individu...

Activity report
I'm trying to write a report showing completed activities for users and another for accounts (clients). Boy, is it ugly! In version 1.2, with Crystal Reports, the HTML emails looked just fine -- it would format the HTML with no problem. How do I get the same result with SSRS? (version 2000) Thanks, Karla you mean you are trying to report on the contents of an email activity? If so this cannot be done without some custom solution, its also logged as a bug. ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP Web - http://www.crowecrm.com Blog - http://www.crowe...

Publisher 2003 outline numbered list
Good morning, I create training manuals that require outlines with at least 4 levels. Some are bulleted and some are numbered. But so far I can only do one level. Am I missing something? Is there a plug-in to fix this. This is frustrating -- I'd like it to be like Word or Powerpoint. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Make your outline in Word... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Miss P" <Miss P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19F4E8E5-1720-4D92-B318-56AB394BCA3F@micro...

check box formatting #3
How do I increase the size of a check box in Excel? I inserted a check box from the form toolbars, but it's so small I can barely read it. If someone could tell me how to increase the size of the check box, I would really appreciate it. Thanks. ...

Rounding Numbers #6
I do not want my numbers rounded up. I would like them to round down if they are a decimal of .5 or higher. Can this be done. If so, how? Thanks for you help Hi, Try the following formulae: =FLOOR(A1,1) =ROUNDDOWN(A1,0) =INT(A1) =TRUNC(A1,0) Regards, KL "trimatt" <trimatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FEC13BB-ABB6-4CD3-86E5-E14378786D89@microsoft.com... >I do not want my numbers rounded up. I would like them to round down if >they > are a decimal of .5 or higher. Can this be done. If so, how? > > Thanks for you help Use the R...

Involuntary Invoice Numbering Change
GP 8.0 SQL Our invoice numbering was set up to start at INV000001 and sequentially increase with each invoice. However, all of a sudden the numbering changed to something odd like 21QW324. We went back into setup and changed the numbering system back. And then it changed back again a day later. Any ideas what might be causing this? No one manually changed the numbering. Thanks, Jason ...

Cell Formatting #5
Is there a way to format a cell so that it will automatically round either up or down? I am currently using Excell 2002. Thanks format "number" seems to work just fine Moshe Paul, Is this what you need? This will not limit you in just rounding decimal places. Format>>Cell>>Number>>Custom To make 1,234,567.00 as 1,125 type #,##0, as 1,1234.57 type #,##0.00, You can try other formatting just try it. Please note that this formatting will only change the way you see the number is displayed on the screen but does not change the actual value. Hope this...

Conditional Formating #3
I am trying to use conditional formating so that when dates in tw different columns are subtracted and result is zero, the a cell i turned green. However, if nothing is in either cell, or nothing is i one of the two cells, I need them to remain as the defualt formating. Does anyone know what formula I need for this? Thanks, Ale -- Alex53 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Alex532's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2974 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49458 Since dates are j...

Linked images in Word Doc lose formatting when using Content Types
Hi I'm not sure if this is a Word issue or a MOSS issue but I think I'm posting in the right place. I have a MS Word template in a library in a MOSS site. I access the template from another site in the MOSS collection using Content Types. This works fine. Recently I thought would put some GIF files in a folder in a library and link these into the template so that they appear in the content but aren't embedded. This all works fine within the template but when I create the file using the Content Type the images appear smaller and the aspect ratio is different....

Special formats
I know I can add a Custom format but can I add to the list of Special formats? If so how? Thanks I don't think so........but then why would you need to if you can do it in CUSTOM? If you have a special need, describe it and perhaps another way can be found to help. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "noyb" wrote: > I know I can add a Custom format but can I add to the list of Special > formats? If so how? > Thanks > AFAIK, there is no way to do that. -- Regards, Zack Barresse, aka firefytr "noyb" <noyb@anoynomous.ca> wrote in message news:...

check number > 10000
I have a checking account where my check numbers recently went over the 10000 mark and my credit union told me that the OFX format only goes up to 9999 so they start over at check number 1. I find it hard to believe that this could really be true. Anyone else run into this and have a better solution? Would another bank not have this issue? I use Money 2004 and it allows me to enter check numbers over 10000, but when I download my transactions from my Credit union it knows enough to match the check up correctly (IE: Credit union check number 10 match my entry of 10010) but when I accept ...

Missing alphanumeric number in the sequence
hi, please help me here. i just would like to know, is there a formula to detect a missing alphanumeric number in a sequence? Ex. if i have AA01, AA02, AA03.......AA100. how to detect of example AA03 is missing? please help...thanks! Try the below formula .. 'to check for sequence AA01 to AA05 =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--ISNA(MATCH("AA"&TEXT(ROW(A1:A5),"00"),A:A,0))),"Numbers missing","No numbers missing") 'to check for sequence AA01 to AA10 =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--ISNA(MATCH("AA"&TEXT(ROW(A1:A10),"00"),A:A,0))),&qu...

one page in booklet format
How do I tell Publisher 2000 to print just page one and 4 and then pause while i reinsert the paper to print pages 2 and 3? duff wrote: > How do I tell Publisher 2000 to print just page one and 4 and then > pause while i reinsert the paper to print pages 2 and 3? File > Print > Pages 1 to 1 > OK > Print as separate booklet = No. Flip pages. File > Print > Pages 2 to 2 > OK > Print as separate booklet = No. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Excel Custom Format Not Working
Hi All, I wrote a macro that makes a cell equal to a vlookup formula. So m code looks something like this: Range("A2") = "=vlookup(A1,A3:B50,3,False)" Then I want the custom format of 000000.00 applied to cell A2. So I coded: Range("A2")..NumberFormat = "000000.00" This does not work however, the format does not change. I noticed the only way to solve this problem is to manually select th cell then click on the contents of the cell and hit ENTER. Have any of you encountered this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it? Any help would be greatly app...

Row numbers disappear
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that is strange. The data does not show up and the row numbers do not show up either. It's not protected and the format of the cells seems to be normal. However, if I change the format of the cells to black the data and the row numbers appear. Is this a bug? What is going on? Lisa Hi, Sounds like your selected font color may be white instead of black. Select the entire worksheet and change the font color to black. Also, make sure that your selected cell color is "No Fill" instead of something else. Go to the paint bucket, next to the fon...

How can I add numbers but ignore the minus signs?
How can I add numbers but ignore the minus signs? In the following, the answer I'm after is 17 A1 -10 A2 5 A3 -2 =SUMPRODUCT(ABS(A1:A3)) Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 04:19:52 GMT, Invalid <invalid@invalid.comINVALID> wrote: >How can I add numbers but ignore the minus signs? In the following, the >answer I'm after is 17 > >A1 -10 >A2 5 >A3 -2 > > Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in news:1o2f63pa84r8o6tdf65sa9ptpbv0nlt7u6@4ax.com: Thank you Gord. ----- > =SUMPRODUCT(ABS(A1:A3)) > > > Gord Dibben M...

chngeing english numbers to arabic numbers
dear supervirsor i would like to know how to change english numbers to arabic number on excel , where when i change the language from english to arabic the numbers didnt changed it still in english What are English numbers? I know that Arabic numbers use the symbols 1,2,3,.....and Roman numbers use I,V, D etc. But I have never heard of English numbers. Do you want text to convert to numeric values? best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "basma_Ahmed" <basma_Ahmed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E4E3001-434...

Views using Negations
Hello, Does anyone know how to create a view using negations? For example, how do you go about creating a view that shows: Accounts WITHOUT opportunities in the past 30/60/90 days? Is this possible or are we forced to write a custom report? Thanks for the help! I'm afraid you need a custom report. These types of queries cannot be implemented in Advanced Find -- David Jennaway - Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP Web: http://www.excitation.co.uk Blog: http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com/ "MDV1457" wrote: > Hello, > Does anyone know how to create a view using negations? For exam...

from date format convert to text format is wrong
Hello All, I download from SAP to excel a database. But unfortunately I can't convert date cells to text. For Example: 2010.02.01 and if I convert to text format i'll get 40181 data all cells. I have tried to copy my worksheet to other worksheet with copy paste special only values, but the result is same. Please help! Regards, Nooris In XL dates are actually stored as numbers. The number is the number of days that has elapsed since Jan 1, 1900. So for example if you type in the number 40181 and format the cell as date you will see that the date is Jan 2, 2010. -...

Global Internet Message Formats being ignored
I have exchange 2003 SP1 installed. We have a couple of internal mail domains that run to legacy systems. Mail gets sent to these domains and are parsed by scripts that can only handle plain unwrapped text. I setup an Internet Message Format for a domain to test. I set the options to say MIME encode plain text only and under advanced I have tried never wrap and wrap at column 1000. What I have found is I can send a message from any outlook client and say html and then I capture the output stmp. The message arrives in html and plain text and also wraps and character 72. The only ch...

find sum in list of of numbers
Hello, I have a list of numbers in a column and I need to find which numbers when summed together equal a figure. I have a list of invoice amounts that I need to match up with payments (the payments are always made for several invoices so I need to come up with sums of several invoices to get to this payment amount). An example would be I have this in the following section (A1:A10): $17,213.82 $4,563.02 $85,693.42 $1,166.01 $725.90 $580.09 $2,243.75 $240.16 $207.70 $725.90 I need to find which combination of these figures would sum $1,173.76. Thanks in Advance, Dza the troubled ...

Conditional Formatting and Subtotals
I have an invoice database and use subtotals from the Tools Menu to calculate total, average and count, grouped by company. I want to use colour to make the different types of calculation stand out. So, for example, colour the totals one colour, the averages another colour and the counts yet another colour. Ideally I would like to be able to colour both the text in the cells which contain, for example “Company X Total” and the actual figure in the corresponding cell. Any ideas? Assuming the text in column A, amount in B, select A1:Bn where n is the last row Format>Conditional ...

References omit formatting and return cell address
In two cases of references between worksheets, the formatting from the original cell does not appear in the cell that it is referenced to. Case 1: Worksheet 1, A1 contains a currency formatted number - $2,000 Worksheet 2, A1 references the Workhseet 1, A1 cell using the = sign, yet it returns 2000 (unless I manually reformat the Workksheet 2 cell to Currency Case 2: Worksheet 3, A1 contains an apartment # - e.g. 4 Worksheet 4, A1 references this cell but returns the cell address - Worksheet2,!A1' - rather than the number 4. I tried different formats for the number 4,...

How to recall the Phone number ... what about other variables?
Hi just a simple question, I'm customizing my status.htm page. Without having any guide, I'm guessing almost every variable. One of the easy of them: Customer's PhoneNumber.... I tried with QSRules.Transaction.Customer.PhoneNumber but didn't bring my anything What is the right syntax? Does anybody have any list of variables you can call using QSRules ? Thanks Gustavo Gustavo, try this out: QSRules.Transaction.Customer.HomeAddress.PhoneNumber ...

Conditional Formatting based on deadlines #2
Excellent! Thanks! My brain gets confused between what you can use i formulas and what can be used in VBA. Alex Delamain Wrote: > Under conditional formatting set condition 1 > Formula is =+$E2<=NOW()+7 > > Then apply your forma -- madblok ----------------------------------------------------------------------- madbloke's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1442 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27448 NOW() has a date and time component TODAY() has only a date component Ok, incorpo...