Negative number formatting

Hi everyone, does anyone know how to do this? I hve a column of figures
some positive and some negative. I want to format them so taht th
negative numbers are expressed in (brackets) and also so that th
column itself is decimal aligned, so even if I don't use decimal place
the brackets "stick out". I know Word does this in tables, but I can'
seem to make Excel do it. Help! Thanks, Vicky. :confused

--
VickyJone
VickyJones's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2448

How about a custom format of:

#,##0.00_);(#,##0.00);0.00_);@

It uses two decimal spots and whole numbers will be shown like 7.00.

--

Dave Peterson
0

--
VickyJone
VickyJones's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2448
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38083

file format needs to be changed
I have an excel file which comprises of a template for Identity card with a jpg file embedded in it. I would like to save this file in a jpeg format so as to get a photo printout of the same. How is this possible? If you scan the document, that would put the file into an image format. Then you could convert the file to whatever image file format you wanted. Just a thought... Highlight the area you want printed then hold SHIFT key and select Edit>Copy Picture. Open your favorite graphics editor or MS Paint and paste to there. Save as *.jpg Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 14 Jun 200...

how can i apply conditional formatting by code ?
Say that there is a table T_PERSONAL [Name (text), Surname (text), Salary (integer)]. I created a Tabular Form (F_PERSONAL) which retrieves information from T_PERSONAL. I want to put a image for a specific record on the form, if the record satisfy some specific criteria. For other record which does not satisfy the criteria, image should be invisible. Say that, if [Name (text)] ~text13~ is "ALBERT", Image Object ~Image13~ should be visible. I dont suppose that Image Object should be included in T_PERSONAL. It will be inserted manualy during design stage of Tabular Form. I would not as...

Fixed numbered lines
Hi, I have to type a legal document that must have fixed numbered lines along the left margin. The numbering will run from 1 to 28. By fixed numbered lines, I mean that the numbering does not change position with carriage returns, i.e., the left margin numbers remain unaffected by carriage returns. How would I make a template to do this? Thank you for any help you can give me. In a text box, type the numbers in manually (each number should be followed by Return), and then anchor the text box to the page header. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "moon4707&q...

date format #18
Hi all, I have a spreadsheet containing lots of pivot tables. The source data contains date formulas in the following ways: =IF(FR5="","",TEXT(FR5,"yyyy-mm")) this returns dates like----- 2007-11 =IF(GM5="","",TEXT(GM5,"mmm-yy")) this returns dates like------- Nov-07 As a result, when I try to sort my pivot table data by date, the dates that are shown as Nov-07 are recognised as text therefore only allowing me to sort by alphabetical order. The dates that are like 2007-11, i am able to sort it by the earliest/latest dates. I...

Page Numbering #17
Hi, I'm working on my first newsletter using Publisher 2003. It is going well, but I have a confusing problem with page numbering. The newsletter is four pages long. I took the original page numbers off, and made new text boxes for the title and page #. Page 1 is fine (and not numbered) Page 4 is fine. But page 2 and 3 keep changing back and forth. If I save page 2, page 3 becomes page 2 also. Same if I save page 3 - page 2 changes back to page 3. I've tried everythinig I can think of. Any ideas? Thanks -- LeslieJ You are changing the Master page, by doing so you are ...

formatting #4
Hi, is it possible to automatically display those cells with a formula with a different format. Eg I would like 'input' cells in green, and 'calculated' cells in red. Thanks. Change color numbers to suit Sub colorcells() Dim c As Range For Each c In Selection If c.HasFormula Then c.Interior.ColorIndex = 4 Else c.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 End If Next c End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "KRK" <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:ONIaRcClJHA.5732@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hi, i...

Copy worksheets and formats
Hi, I have a worksheet (budget) set up as 31 columns representing days of a month. I also have a worksheet designated as yearly, 12 columns for each month. The first worksheet, Jan, totals numerous rows and sends the data to the Jan column of the monthly WS. I need to copy the Jan worksheet in a way it will change the Jan! to Feb!, then Mar!, etc. If I copy it as is the data will be the same as the month of Jan. Hope you can understand this. I can't ;+) Ken More than one way, but an easy way if each month formulas are the same is to copy Jan sheet, and paste them into the Feb a...

user form
I am so frustrated. I am creating a form and I want to force a phone number format. Easy in Excel but cannot find it anywhere in word 2007. Please help Thanks Use the VBA Format function Format(1234567890, "(###) ###-####") will return (123) 456-7890 -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Dcook" <Dcook@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5F0E1C93-E828-46F7-98EF-FE6DF84...

Sorting does numbers in weird order
I was given a worksheet that I need to sort in numerical order. The cells contain both letters and numbers (e.g., VL 1087). The problem is that it sorts them like VL 1, VL 10, VL 100, VL 1000, VL 1001, etc. VL 16 is after 159 etc. Kind of like dewey decimal system without the decimals. I have tried reformatting the cells to text, numbers, general. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas? The easiest way is to insert two temporary helper columns next to th numbers column. Then - seperate the VL from the numbers, using Data Text-to-columns. Now you have a number column you can sort by, an a...

Go to specific line in numbered list?
Hey all, I have a question that will hopefully save me a lot of time! I'm working on my dissertation, and my data (transcription of speech) is formatted in a very long numbered list. The thing is that there are often more than one actual lines per list item, like so: 1) ____________________________________ _______________________________________ ____________ 2) ____________________________________ ______________________________________ etc. What I have been trying to figure out is a way to jump to a specific *list number*, rather than actual line number. I have a lis...

Limit to number of invoice products in 1 invoice
Hi, I had created a new Invoice and after adding 15 invoice products to the one invoice, CRM was unable to add in the 16th invoice product. It just hanged there when I try to save the page. But if I delete some of the invoice products to less than 15, then it was able to save the invoice properly. My CRM 1.2 Server had recently been patch with the XP SP2 updates. Not sure if this was ok before the update...But I also had a problem adding a invoice product with $0 value. I had tried the same thing on CRM 1.0 with the Adventure Works sample and I was able to go beyond 16 invoice produc...

Need a simple macro that will import any one of a number of text files in a folder
I'm having problems coming up with a macro that will allow me to import a text file of choice from my default file location that I have set up with Excel which contains several text files. I want the macro to open a "Open" file dialog window where I can then choose the text file of choice. I also need it to open the file as delimited, starting at row 23 and with the tab selected as the only delimiter. Please help... thanks, steve Steve I have been using the following for several years to obtain a spreadsheet from a .csv file downloaded from a bank. You will need to add the...

E-mail Templates HTML format with pictures
Is it possible to create custom templates with an HTML body, including like my company logo ? If this is possible, can any one help me.. Thank you again in advance I created a web page in MS FrontPage. Posted the page on a web server with a public address. Then copied the page into a Direct Email Template. If you don't require a logo you can just paste it from FrontPage right into the Direct Email Template. HTH Donnie Sweat "Ulrich" <Ulrich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A2BF4B7E-D92E-41EC-A55A-7B53AEE60A22@microsoft.com... > Is it possible ...

Changing text "A" to a number?
In cell A1 I have the either Letter a, b or c. I would like to give them a numerical value of 1, 2 and 3 in the adjacent cell. Can someone post or point me to the formula? Thanks Try this: =3DCODE(LOWER(A1))-96 Then copy down. Hope this helps. Pete On Apr 11, 5:15=A0pm, Larry <Yak...@gmail.com> wrote: > In cell A1 I have the either Letter a, b or c. > I would like to give them a numerical value of 1, 2 and 3 in the > adjacent cell. > Can someone post or point me to the formula? > Thanks One way: = CODE(UPPER(A1)) - 64 another: =MATCH(A1,{"a","...

Get HD serial number using API
Is there any way to get the HD serial number (or any other data to identify the hard disc) using API from VBA?Thanks in advance for your answers.Regards.Jose Nu�ezMontevideo ...

Conditional formatting #50
Hi, The worksheet I've been working on uses paste links to carry forward workers details from one worksheet to the next. These cells are left unprotected so the chain can be broken if a person leaves, and someone new has to be inserted. This is fine but it makes it tricky to spot where breaks occur. Can conditional formatting tell the difference between a formula and text entered? If so can someone please give me an example that I can use. Many thanks. DonH You would need to build a simple UDF Function IsFormula(rng as range) IsFormula = rng.HasFormula End Function and use t...

How to copy custom number formats
Hello All I have a custom number format for a Excel Cell A1 which is #,##0.00 "CAD" and in A1 I now have a value 1000 CAD. I have assigned cell B1 as =A1 but an external application when the report is run populated now cell A1 as 20000 MXP and now my cell B1 says 20000 CAD and not 20000 MXP and when I check the format for B1 it still as the format as #,##0.00 "CAD" whereas now the format of my cell A1 is #,##0.00 "MXP" appears only the value and not the format is being copied. Can any of you suggest a workaround to resolve this problem. Many thanks Simon ...

Checking Winning Numbers in the Lottery.
For people who may not understand the lottery rules for the UK. Person picks 6 numbers in the range 1 to 49 (no duplicates) If all the 6 numbers come up then when the lottery numbers are announced, then it is serious party time. Problem: - We have 25 people in our Lottery syndicate and therefore I want to automate the checking of numbers that are announced with numbers that are pre-selected by the 25 individuals. Additionally, I want to know how many numbers have matched in an individual row against those announced. E.G. Assume lottery number announced (in ascending sequence are) 1, ...

A large number of messages are pending in the e-mail server send q #2
Hello world. I have been getting a vast number of email in the out queue starting this past Monday. I have freezed those queues and delete all the messages addressed from my postmaster address to Envelope Recipients:SMTP:wovowtwasqi@ntli.net; even though the q is frozen the number of messages is still increasing how can I delete those Queues? "A large number of messages are pending in the e-mail server send queue. Verify that you have Internet connectivity. If you can view Web sites normally, contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to determine if there is a problem with the...

Preserving formatting of merged cells when hiding columns
I have a spreadsheet that contains columns that my supervisor wants to keep hidden when sending out to contacts. The problem is, there are some merged cells further down the sheet that spread across those columns, and hiding the columns messes up their formatting. Is there a way to avoid this? merged cells are the bane of Excel, figure out how to do without them. Nick Xylas wrote: > I have a spreadsheet that contains columns that my supervisor wants to > keep hidden when sending out to contacts. The problem is, there are > some merged cells further down the sheet that spread across ...

Question (Conditional Formatting)
I have the following data below: Column A Column B 01/06/2006 07/01/2008 On column C I want excel to calculate if Column A >= Column B; then "False" else "True". How do I accomplish this? Try this: =A1<B1 -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Erlang" <newandfresh@gmail.com> wrote in message n...

Format cells #7

Reconcile check numbers?
Hi all, Does Money 2004 look for duplicate check numbers by default? I have had several instances of printed checks being listed twice by accident. This occurs after I sloppily unmatch the downloaded items and then accept them. However, it would seem that there is an option to check for duplicates...I looked and could not find one??? TIA, Miki In microsoft.public.money, Michelle wrote: > >Does Money 2004 look for duplicate check numbers by default? I have had >several instances of printed checks being listed twice by accident. This >occurs after I sloppily unmatch the...

how to make cells automatically format to entered text size?
hello, i am new to excel and i would like to have it resize the cells automatically to the size of the text i entered. i know if i click on a cell and do format - line break it does it for one cell. but how can i have excel do this automatically for every cell in every workbook? thanks Frank Barenhorst email: frank.barenhorst@mailshelter.de Frank Hit CRTL + A to select all cells. Format>Alignment>Wrap Text. To make this the default for all new workbooks and sheets.... Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish. File>Save As Type: scroll down to Excel Template(*.XLT) and...

How to Convert 24/03/2010 as text into 03/24/2010 date format
Hi , I’m using Ms Excel 2003 and in my excel sheet there is a column in which dates are entered as DD/MM/YYYY (e.g. 24/03/2010 as a text) format and I wanted to convert it into MM/DD/YYYY (e.g. 03/24/2010). Can excel programming is required to convert such date or is there any excel function. Please suggest. -- ------------------------------ Thanks Nitesh ------------------------------ hi you could use text to columns high light the date. on the menu bar>data>text to columns step 1 - select delimited, click next step 2 - select tab, click next step 3- upp...