Need help! - Trying to use MS Query in Excel to extract MS Access

Hi all:
I am trying to extract some data from an Access query using MS Query while
in Excel.  The access query will extract the data from the data source
without any problems.  (I can even cut and past the data from the access
query to the excel spreadsheet.)  The problem arises when I go to refresh the
data in the excel spreadsheet using the MS query.  I get the following error
message:

"[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Invalid character value for cast
specification on column number 4 (SumofSumofTransValue)"

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?  Everything worked up to about
two days ago.

Thanks,
FatMan

0
FatMan (1)

FatMan <FatMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

> I am trying to extract some data from an Access query using MS Query while
> in Excel.  The access query will extract the data from the data source
> without any problems.  (I can even cut and past the data from the access
> query to the excel spreadsheet.)  The problem arises when I go to refresh the
> data in the excel spreadsheet using the MS query.  I get the following error
> message:
>
> "[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Invalid character value for cast
> specification on column number 4 (SumofSumofTransValue)"
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Post your SQL code.

Jamie.

jamiecollins (192)
11/24/2004 10:45:54 AM
The problem lies with the Access table.  The data type is probably decimal,
and you are having trouble pulling negative values?
Change the field type to double or single integer and your problem will
dissappear!
0
xx5613 (11)

How to stop "Help" accessing Office Online
Excel 2003. I'd like to restrict F1/Help to just searching the local help file. For example, with a stupidly simple example: =vlookup Press F1 Assistance appears, then if you hit the green arrow it goes to the online mode and searches the web.... really a pain. Esp. since my firewall blocked the search and thereafter Excel simply crashed. Try: Help|Microsoft Help|Online Content Settings|Online Content Category Turn off what you don't want. Steve wrote: > > Excel 2003. > > I'd like to restrict F1/Help to just searching the local help file. For > exampl...

How can I have this IIF query running?
This is my query : strQuery = "SELECT DISTINCT ID_emp,name,adres,city, " _ & " sports = IIF(EXISTS(SELECT ID_sport FROM tblSports WHERE ID_pers= tblArbCtr.persID), 1, 0)" _ & " FROM tblArbCtr,tblEmployee WHERE Contract = 0 AND tblArbCtr.persID=tblEmployee.ID_emp" I want to find out the employees who don't have a contract (contract=0) first, and after that I want to verify whether they have a sport with the derived 'sports' column. The compiler fires the following error : '3061 : Too few parameters. ...

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

Reporting from Project Server

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

using the journal on outlook

Please help #8

learning Excel #3

MS POS = RMS? Also, SQL Connectivity...

I need a macro

nested OR in queries
I have a table that has 20 date fields for each record. I need to select any record that has a matching date in at least one of those fields so it becomes a huge OR in a query and I have noticed that I am limited to 9 in a query. Is there a way to do this efficiently or will I need multiple queries to test all 20 date fields? If your table uses multiple date fields, the first thing you'll want to consider is coming up with a new table! In a spreadsheet, adding 20 date fields may be the only way to handle a situation, but you won't get the best use of Access' features and funct...

Help with importing data