Need help cleaning up an email list in Excel

I have a very large contacts list in Excel.  One column is for email
addresses.  Before I send off an email to these folks, I want to make sure
they will all work.  There are two things I need help with:

1.  How do I find all cells WITHOUT an "@" sign?
2.  How do I find all cells with more than 1 "@" sign?

Basically, I want to know that there is only email address in each cell and
that it is legitimate.

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
0
AmieG (8)

I just realized re-reading my post, that it might look like I'm a spammer,
but I promise I'm just sending out an email to people who signed up for
updates at a trade conference.

"Amie G" wrote:

> I have a very large contacts list in Excel.  One column is for email
> addresses.  Before I send off an email to these folks, I want to make sure
> they will all work.  There are two things I need help with:
>
> 1.  How do I find all cells WITHOUT an "@" sign?
> 2.  How do I find all cells with more than 1 "@" sign?
>
> Basically, I want to know that there is only email address in each cell and
> that it is legitimate.
>
> Any help you can provide would be most appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
0
AmieG (8)
10/6/2005 8:17:16 PM
Amie G,

Enter the following formula in a blank column, adjacent to the address list...
    =LEN(B2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B2,"@",""))
It counts the length of the text in the cell and subtracts from that the
length of the text after all "@" have been removed.
Change "B2" to the top cell in your list and fill down.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Amie G" wrote:

> I have a very large contacts list in Excel.  One column is for email
> addresses.  Before I send off an email to these folks, I want to make sure
> they will all work.  There are two things I need help with:
>
> 1.  How do I find all cells WITHOUT an "@" sign?
> 2.  How do I find all cells with more than 1 "@" sign?
>
> Basically, I want to know that there is only email address in each cell and
> that it is legitimate.
>
> Any help you can provide would be most appreciated!
>
> Thanks!
0
jim.coneXXX (771)

Excel button problem