Multiple If True Values?

Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells, and if
a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another cell?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You.
0
lee1 (146)

Start by experimenting with Format|Conditional Formatting
Then come back if more help is needed
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells, and
> if
> a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another cell?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thank You.

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
2/8/2005 3:31:42 PM
Hi Lee

you can use conditional formatting on the "another cell"
e.g.
click on the cell
choose format / conditional formatting
choose
formula is
type something along the lines of
=AND(A1=10,B1=5)
click the format button - choose your formatting
and click OK twice

- if you'ld like more assistance please post back the cell reference of the
"two" cells and the "certain combination" that you want to test for.

Cheers
JulieD

"Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells, and
> if
> a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another cell?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thank You.

0
JulieD1 (2295)
2/8/2005 3:33:36 PM
Check out "Conditional Formatting" in XL Help.

For instance, with cell C4 selected, and checking the TRUE/FALSE value
in A1 and B2, choose Format/Conditional formatting...

CF1:        Formula is   =AND(A1,B2)      <==both A1 and B1 true
Format1:    Green

CF2:        Formula is   =OR(A1,B2)       <==A1 or B2 true, but not both
Format2:    Yellow

CF3:        Formula is   =NOT(OR(A1,B2))  <==both A1 and B1 false
Format3:    Red

In article <07DC594F-6045-4A81-B8B9-19F295A2AAA5@microsoft.com>,
 Lee <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells, and if
> a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another cell?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thank You.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
2/8/2005 3:37:26 PM
Hi Lee,
If by format of another cell you restrict yourself to the font, background
color of cell, or shading pattern then you can use Conditional Formatting
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm

Otherwise you would need to use programming, and it would be easier
to answer with a programming question if you stated exactly what you
wanted to do with cell addresses and if it is for an entire column, but
you cannot do that with Excel formulas.    A formula cannot change the
value of another cell, and cannot change the formatting of any cell
including itself..
---
HTH,

"Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...
> Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells, and if
> a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another cell?
..

0
dmcritchie (2586)
2/8/2005 3:41:41 PM
Thank you for the suggestions.  I'm sorry for my ignorance - way over my head
here.

I believe the Conditional Formatting will do the trick (I didn't even know
you could use a formula there).

I've tried the formula "=AND(AA10=6,AB10=2)" and conditionally formatted to
change the background color of this cell to red when true.

However even when AA10=6 and AB10=2, the cell color still doesn't change?

Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm using combo box
selections to make AA10=6 and AB10=2?

Thank you guys so much for your help.
Lee

"Lee" wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells, and if
> a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another cell?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thank You.
0
lee1 (146)
2/8/2005 4:07:02 PM
Hi Lee

1) which cell are you putting the conditional formatting on
2) no " " in the formula
3) when the information AA10 and AB2 is selected via the drop down list are
the resulting values in these cells numbers or text - use
=ISNUMBER(AA10) or =ISTEXT(AA10) to answer this question, if they are text
try
=AND($AA$10="6",$AB$10="2")
if numbers try
=AND($AA$10=6,$AB$10=2)

Cheers
JulieD

> Thank you for the suggestions.  I'm sorry for my ignorance - way over my
> head
> here.
>
> I believe the Conditional Formatting will do the trick (I didn't even know
> you could use a formula there).
>
> I've tried the formula "=AND(AA10=6,AB10=2)" and conditionally formatted
> change the background color of this cell to red when true.
>
> However even when AA10=6 and AB10=2, the cell color still doesn't change?
>
> Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm using combo box
> selections to make AA10=6 and AB10=2?
>
> Thank you guys so much for your help.
> Lee
>

> "Lee" wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells,
>> and if
>> a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another
>> cell?
>>
>> Any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>> Thank You.

0
JulieD1 (2295)
2/8/2005 4:14:55 PM
IT WORKED!

The Dollar Signs did the trick.

Thank you so much, and to the gentlemen for their suggestions as well.

You people are geniuses.

Thank You.
Lee

"JulieD" wrote:

> Hi Lee
>
> 1) which cell are you putting the conditional formatting on
> 2) no " " in the formula
> 3) when the information AA10 and AB2 is selected via the drop down list are
> the resulting values in these cells numbers or text - use
> =ISNUMBER(AA10) or =ISTEXT(AA10) to answer this question, if they are text
> try
> =AND($AA$10="6",$AB$10="2")
> if numbers try
> =AND($AA$10=6,$AB$10=2)
>
> Cheers
> JulieD
>
> "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for the suggestions.  I'm sorry for my ignorance - way over my
> > head
> > here.
> >
> > I believe the Conditional Formatting will do the trick (I didn't even know
> > you could use a formula there).
> >
> > I've tried the formula "=AND(AA10=6,AB10=2)" and conditionally formatted
> > change the background color of this cell to red when true.
> >
> > However even when AA10=6 and AB10=2, the cell color still doesn't change?
> >
> > Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm using combo box
> > selections to make AA10=6 and AB10=2?
> >
> > Thank you guys so much for your help.
> > Lee
> >

> > "Lee" wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know of a way to check for a value in two different cells,
> >> and if
> >> a certain combination of values exists, change the format of another
> >> cell?
> >>
> >> Any help would be much appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thank You.

0
lee1 (146)
2/8/2005 4:37:19 PM
you're welcome and thanks for the feedback

cheers
JulieD

> IT WORKED!
>
> The Dollar Signs did the trick.
>
> Thank you so much, and to the gentlemen for their suggestions as well.
>
> You people are geniuses.
>
> Thank You.
> Lee
>

> "JulieD" wrote:
>
>> Hi Lee
>>
>> 1) which cell are you putting the conditional formatting on
>> 2) no " " in the formula
>> 3) when the information AA10 and AB2 is selected via the drop down list
>> are
>> the resulting values in these cells numbers or text - use
>> =ISNUMBER(AA10) or =ISTEXT(AA10) to answer this question, if they are
>> text
>> try
>> =AND($AA$10="6",$AB$10="2")
>> if numbers try
>> =AND($AA$10=6,$AB$10=2)
>>
>> Cheers
>> JulieD
>>
>> "Lee" <Lee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thank you for the suggestions.  I'm sorry for my ignorance - way over
>> > my
>> > head
>> > here.
>> >
>> > I believe the Conditional Formatting will do the trick (I didn't even
>> > know
>> > you could use a formula there).
>> >
>> > I've tried the formula "=AND(AA10=6,AB10=2)" and conditionally
>> > formatted
>> > change the background color of this cell to red when true.
>> >
>> > However even when AA10=6 and AB10=2, the cell color still doesn't
>> > change?
>> >
>> > Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm using combo box
>> > selections to make AA10=6 and AB10=2?
>> >
>> > Thank you guys so much for your help.

0
JulieD1 (2295)