Multiple if functions #2

I really need to know how could i do or use if functions :confused:

example
i have gotten all my students avarage and i want to put comments lik
if for example

Average ranges from 95 - 100 comments should be Excellent
Average ranges from 90 -  94  comments should be Very Good
Average ranges from 85 -  90  comments should be Good
Average ranges from 80 -  84  comments should be Passed
Average ranges from 79 -  below  comments should be faile

Hi grazielle,

One way to do this. Put a following table somewhere. In this example
in area F1:G5

0	failed
80	passed
85	good
90	very good
95	excellent

Now let's say you have values in column A starting from row one. Put in
B1 the following formula:

=VLOOKUP(A1,$F$1:$G$5,2)

and copy it down.

This should do the trick

- Asser

---

Rather than IF, try:

=LOOKUP(A1,{0,80,85,90,95},{"Failed","Passed","Good","Very
Good","Excellent"})

where A1 holds the numerical grade.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

comments like
>if for example
>
>Average ranges from 95 - 100 comments should be Excellent
>Average ranges from 90 -  94  comments should be Very Good
>Average ranges from 85 -  90  comments should be Good
>Average ranges from 80 -  84  comments should be Passed
>Average ranges from 79 -  below  comments should be failed
>

>---
>
>.

0
jason.morin (561)
1/16/2004 3:01:52 PM
One way, with your average in A1

=LOOKUP(A1,{0;80;85;90;95},{"Failed";"Passed";"Good";"Very
Good";"Excellent"})

or

=IF(A1="","",LOOKUP(A1,{0;80;85;90;95},{"Failed";"Passed";"Good";"Very
Good";"Excellent"}))

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"grazielle >" <<grazielle.104qa3@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I really need to know how could i do or use if functions :confused:
>
> example
> i have gotten all my students avarage and i want to put comments like
> if for example
>
> Average ranges from 95 - 100 comments should be Excellent
> Average ranges from 90 -  94  comments should be Very Good
> Average ranges from 85 -  90  comments should be Good
> Average ranges from 80 -  84  comments should be Passed
> Average ranges from 79 -  below  comments should be failed
>

> ---

terre08 (1112)
1/16/2004 3:08:00 PM
Hi Grazielle!

Use VLOOKUP functions for this as they are so flexible, easier than
multiple IF, and don't have the IF function nesting limitation.

In J1:K5 I have:
0 Fail
80 Pass
85 Good
90 Very Good
95 Excellent

In A1:
=VLOOKUP(A1,$J$1:$K$5,2)

This tells Excel to look up the mark in A1 against the table in J1:K5
and return the data in the second column

Pending entry of marks in A1 you'll get an annoying result of Fail. To
avoid this you can use:

=IF(A1="","",VLOOKUP(A1,$J$1:$K$5,2))

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

0
njharker (1646)

parsing a date and time field #2

Index and Match Function in VB
A few days ago, I did receive very good help from Max and Dave to achieve the following formula, =IF(B5="Synth",INDEX(AUTOS!$K$10:$K$500,MATCH(1,(Autos!$F$10:$F$500='ID'!D5)*(Autos!$G$10:$G$400='ID'!$R$2)*(AUTOS!$I$10:$I$400="C"),0))-INDEX(AUTOS!$K$10:$K$500,MATCH(1,(AUTOS!$F$10:$F$500='ID'!D5)*(AUTOS!$G$10:$G$400='ID'!$R$2)*(AUTOS!$I$10:$I$400="P"),0))+$R$2-$R$5,VLOOKUP(D5,$P$4:$R$8,3)-$R$5) Basically I was looking to retrieve data based on multiple criteria and the formula is working just fine. I now want to also be able to def...

Money Central Portfolio #2

macro #2

merging 2 cells without losing data?

Statements #2

Sumproduct with multiple date criteria
Having a tough time with this one. Sheet 1 Column A = Start Date, Column B = End Date, Column C = Quantity. Sheet 2 Row A = Start Date, Row B = End Date. I would like Row C to sum quantity from sheet 1 where ever the two date ranges intersect. The date ranges on sheet 2 represent the beginning and ending of a week (Mon-Sun). Sheet 1 Column A Column B Column C 01JAN2010 24JAN2010 1,000 Sheet 2 Row A 04JAN2010 11JAN2010 18JAN2010 25JAN2010 Row B 10JAN2010 17JAN2010 24JAN2010 31JAN2010 Row c 1,000 1,000 1,000 0 Do the Sheet 2 Star...

Function is killing performance
Hi - I'm using a custom function in a query and it takes forever - was hoping someone might have an idea of how to speed things up a bit. A little more info: the function is relatively simple (4 arguments that are run through an IF statement to pick a value from another table (only 12 records). The query is run against a table with 41k records. The numbers don't seem to big here, and the query takes over an hour. Any ideas?? Where & how are you using the IF's? Sounds like a coding problem to me Pieter <stephen.h.dow@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1189019241.93425...

Macro

Querying multiple records in two tables

Sum amount if = 2 value's

PROPER function
Hi all - Stupid me, maybe, but I can't get this function to work. The help file says: "PROPER (text) Text is text enclosed in quotation marks, a formula that returns text, or a reference to a cell containing the text you want to partially capitalize." So the text I want to convert is in cell, say, I370. In helper cell J130 I enter =PROPER(I370) But all I get in cell J130 after hitting enter is =PROPER(I370). In other words, it doesn't seem to be acting as a formula --- it is just appearing literally. This is an inherited spreadsheet, so it's possible something ...

Excel pivot table #2

using vba so search multiple Sheets

Outlook Express 6 Spell Check #2
I am using Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, and I have a problem with spell check. When you send an email, it says "spell check has been haulted, do you want to send anyway" and if I ask it to spell check, it says an error has occured in spell check. All my spelling options are correctly set, so I don't know what the problem is. Kimberly McNabb <knmcnabb@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am using Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, and I have a > problem with spell check. Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Database #2
Hi I'm new to Outlook. I hear of an Outlook database in other threads. Is this synonymous with the ..pst or .ost files people mention? Does it corrupt often and if so are there tools to repair it? Regards Craig. There's a utility called ScanPST.EXE that will scan and attempt to repair the file. Yes, typically when a user says Outlook database they're referring to their PST file "Craig Roberts" <craigroberts@jkr.co.uk> wrote in message news:C4C8E141.211DE%craigroberts@jkr.co.uk... > Hi > > I'm new to Outlook. > > I hear of an Outlook d...

unique with 2 columns

host unreachable #2
hi, if i send a email with a wrong address or mispelled it, i don't get a message that the address, destination is wrong until 4 days later after being deletedj from the outgoi queue im using E5,5 sp4 thks Is that for all domains, even for Yahoo and Hotmail? Rick wrote: > hi, > > if i send a email with a wrong address or mispelled it, i > don't get a message that the address, destination is wrong > until 4 days later after being deletedj from the outgoi > queue > > im using E5,5 sp4 > > thks ...

Excel number formatting #2

Is there a way to graph data which utilizes the "fixed" function for decimal places? When I try this it will not graph, as the data has become text or something - even though I've selected number in the cell formats. If you've fixed the number of digits using only number formats, the values remain numeric, and they should chart just fine. This means selecting the range, going to the Formatting menu and selecting Cells, and on the Number tab, selecting Number in the category list, and setting a number of digits. I'm not familiar with a "fixed function". I...

Closing Excel #2
I have inherited an App desigend by an ex employee Sometimes the program leaves Excel in the task manager The programe uses various routines and calling various functions that define Excel sheets etc (badly named) I'm finding it hard to follow (my 1st experince of .NET) is there a way to KILL any Excel instence when exiting the program. I have come across some posts about GC (garbage collection) like this System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oXLWsheet) oXLWsheet = Nothing 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oXLWs) oXLWs = Nothing oBook.Clos...