Multiple choices for a cell

I am creating a worksheet which deals with employee or job candidates
qualifications. Each cell will hold the various details pertaining to a
person's qualifications. Different people have different degrees. This
will be all stored in a single cell and separated by a comma.

Is it possible to create some sort of custom or drop down box which
contains controls or check boxes so as to create a standardised list of
qualifications the data entry clerk can choose from?

For example,  i would like a cell to have a drop down box, which is a
field that displays the qualifications a particular graduate holds, for
example, a graduate might have BSc in IT and a BSc in Maths
whereas another might have BSc in Maths and BEng in Civil Engineering,
so there are a variety of combinations...is this possible? or how
should this be achieved?

---
~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

Select the cell which needs to have the drop-down list, go to Data >
Validation. Under 'Allow', select LIST, and type the values (eg. BSc IT, BSc
Engg etc.), separated by comma in the Source Text Box.

Regards,
Murthy

"fkheng" <fkheng.y79by@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> I am creating a worksheet which deals with employee or job candidates
> qualifications. Each cell will hold the various details pertaining to a
> person's qualifications. Different people have different degrees. This
> will be all stored in a single cell and separated by a comma.
>
> Is it possible to create some sort of custom or drop down box which
> contains controls or check boxes so as to create a standardised list of
> qualifications the data entry clerk can choose from?
>
> For example,  i would like a cell to have a drop down box, which is a
> field that displays the qualifications a particular graduate holds, for
> example, a graduate might have BSc in IT and a BSc in Maths
> whereas another might have BSc in Maths and BEng in Civil Engineering,
> so there are a variety of combinations...is this possible? or how
> should this be achieved?
>

> ---
> ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
murthyavr (29)
12/10/2003 9:06:26 AM
A dropdown list doesn't sound practical for this situation, since you
could have almost as many variations as employees. Perhaps you could use
multiple columns, such as Degree1 (with a dropdown list of BA, BSc, MA,
etc.), Major1 (in which the major could be typed), Degree2, Major2.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

What must I do to get gridlines printed for both filled and empty cells?
Hi, What must I do to get gridlines printed for both filled and empty cells? I'm a teacher, and I'm trying to replicate and print, in Excel, an attendance book format, with a series of tiny squares next to each student's name. The printed form of this would allow me to register if a student were present or absent on a particular day. Hubert -- Hubert Earl, vendor of fine Jamaican art, coffee, etc. on eBay: http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=12295024&ssPageName=L2?refid=store; Fine Jablum Blue Mountain Coffee sales page: http://stores.ebay.com/Jamaican-Coffee-Art-and-More-Store_Jab...

Sort Descending with IF and empty cells
I am trying to sort a column descending. The cells functions are =IF(J38=0,"",I38/J38). I want nothing to appear in the cell if the result is true, but this poses a problem when I run my macro for sorting descending. It puts my blank cells at the top. Is there a way to sort descending but have my blank cells all at the bottom? Any assistance would be appreciated. -- Mike Instead of returning "", you could return a large negative value, like -9999. You can apply conditional formatting such that if the cell contains -9999 the foreground co...

Multiple users/1 email address
Environment: Exchange 2003 SP1 on a Windows 2000 box and Outlook 2003. I have 5 users (each has his own active directory acct and log on as themselves) that need to share a common email address i.e. someone@somewhere.de.us. When each user opens Outlook, I need them to see any emails delivered to the shared email address. How can this be accomplished? Thank you in advance, L Moore You could either have a mailbox for someone@somewhere.de.us, give the users rights to it and set their Outlook to open that mailbox as well as their own mailbox. Or you could make a mail enabled public fo...

Macro to Protect cells
Total Excel virgin here (and proud of it - LOL). I'm putting together a sheet that will have a lot of cells that a client will enter the values in, and then send to HIS client to fill in the rest. What I need to do, is pull up this sheet, allow my client to fill in the fields he needs to, then run a macro to protect (password or another variant) those cells. As I will know each and every time which cells need to be protected, what would the process be to create this? If someone would at least point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. Proud, Cells are protected w...

building chart from multiple sheets
I have 5 sheets and would like to build a stacked bar graph using data from each. Say I have 4 values in A1, A2, A3 & A4 on each of these sheets. Each stacked bar is to respresent the 4 values from a single sheet. Is there any way to do this with out having to build a table on an extra page? Thanks, Brad K If I understand your data structure, you will need to use a range to consolidate the data. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ChartFromDiffSheets.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://...

auto copy cell format
Hello, I have a complex spreadsheet in which I use cell formatting (shading) to illustrate where one cell value is being copied elsewhere in the same sheet. So for example I have a value 2.34 in cell C3 which is shaded pink, and another cell G24 also 2.34 also shaded pink. It is helpful for display purposes. I can set G24 to 2.34 just by setting the cell '=C3'. But can I set it to pink in a similar way? I have Excell 2007. I know how to copy a cell format using the format painter, no problem. But I have several cell connections of this sort and an automated way of doing it w...

New line in a cell
During writing text in a cell, I would like to make new line instead of continuing writing. For example, a new paragraph. Can anyone help? Abe Use <Alt><Enter>. You may have to drag the column wider to get the proper length of the line. -- Best Regards Leo Heuser Followup to newsgroup only please. "Abe" <Abe@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:A670ADE7-A526-415F-AAC1-7806836E9EA7@microsoft.com... > During writing text in a cell, I would like to make new line instead of > continuing writing. For example, a new paragraph. > > Can ...

Is there an easy way to swap the contents of two cells in Excel?
I think the subject says it all... =?Utf-8?B?Ti5CLiBZb25k?= <N.B. Yond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:4C32CCD5-DA6F-43A8-9502-B2348D183371@microsoft.com: > I think the subject says it all... > You could add a button to the sheet with following code behind it: Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() cel1 = InputBox("First cell?") cel2 = InputBox("Second cell?") c1 = Range(cel1).Value c2 = Range(cel2).Value Range(cel1).Value = c2 Range(cel2).Value = c1 End Sub You will be asked for the 2 cell addresses and the contents will be ...

Filling a cell from a Macro
Hello, I want to put a IF formula from a Macro. IE. cell= "=IF(a=b,"yes","no")" However this give an error on the " sign. How to proceed? regards, Just You need to double up on the " marks around the strings yes and no Range("C1").Formula = "=IF(A1=B1,""yes"",""no"")" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:14:59 +0200, "Just Merks" <jvw.merks@hccnet.nl> wrote: >Hello, > >I want to put a IF formula from a Macro. IE. cell= "=IF(a=b,"yes&qu...

How can I format a cell so date field only displays the Month?
I'd like to have cells with date fields only display the Month. Instead of MM-YY or MM-DD-YY...I'm looking for just MMMM. Thank you. On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 16:35:01 -0800, "tk_2u" <tk_2u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'd like to have cells with date fields only display the Month. Instead of >MM-YY or MM-DD-YY...I'm looking for just MMMM. >Thank you. Format/Cells/Number Custom: mmmm --ron Right-click on the cell with the date in it > FormatCells > NumberTab > Custom > ..type MMMM in the window Vaya con Dios, Chuck CABGx3 "t...

How do I graph a cell vs one that it changes for a range of valu.
One cell changes another cell as determined by a formula not explicitly contained in either cell. I want to range a cell from 0.5-1 in small increments and line-plot it vs the other. How do I express a range of values and the steps of increments? Hi Kentlm, > One cell changes another cell as determined by a formula not explicitly > contained in either cell. > I want to range a cell from 0.5-1 in small increments and line-plot it vs > the other. > How do I express a range of values and the steps of increments? It sounds like you want a Data Table. Look in Excel's Help ...

Pivot Table/Multiple Workbooks
Is there anyway to create a pivot table using information from multiple workbooks (not worksheets?) I have 3 files: count1.xls count2.xls count3.xls All files have same headers but each file represents a different month. How can I create a pivot table using these 3 excel files? I also want the pivot table to get updated everytime I make a change to one of the excel files. If this is doable, what is maximum number of files that I can link to that pivot table? Thanks. You can use a pivot table across mulitple workbooks by using the "Multiple Consolidation Ranges" in the ...

grouping cells #2
Is there a way to group cells together? I am sorting data on one sheet and this changes 1 column in another sheet. I need to have all data in a row where the 1st column sorted to move with the value from the 1st column. If I could group them together or somehow link the whole row then if the 1st column changes the rest of the info in that row would go as well. Any thoughts? Thanks, John John, In your rows, you need to have formulas (typically, VLOOKUP formulas) that extract the data based on the value of the first column (if it is unique).... HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "johnrb78...

whole rows, not cells
I want to protect a particular sheet so that the user can only select copy and paste whole rows, not individual cells. Is this possible? Maybe you could give the user a macro that would get the range to be copied, extend it to the whole row, get the row to paste, unprotect the worksheet, do the copy|Paste and then reprotect the worksheet. Something like: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim RngToCopy As Range Dim CellToPaste As Range Dim myPWD As String myPWD = "hi" Set RngToCopy = Nothing On Error Resume Next Set RngToCopy = Application.InputBo...

Formatting text within a cell
I'm pretty new to Excel ... I want to emulate my formatting in Word of a title with several bulleted subpoints indented and under it. Every time I hit "Enter" for a new line, I get skipped to a new cell. Any help will be appreciated. When editing a cell, if you hold down the [Alt] key when you press [Enter], that will put the subsequent text on a new line in the same cell. Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "AV Guy" wrote: > I'm pretty new to Excel ... I want to emulate my formatting in Word of a > title with several bullete...

pasting a block of text into one cell
Hi everybody, I'm trying to paste a few passages from a book, surrounded by a trim() command, into a single cell of a worksheet. Since this has multiple lines, and tabs at the beginning of each line, the paste occurs in multiple rows and the trim() command doesn't work. Does anyone know how to paste something like this into one cell? For clarity, the block is like this: =trim( " blah blahhhhhhh zzzzz ") (with tabs before each line) Is there any way to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jezzica85 Hi, Try the =CLEAN(A1) function. -- Tha...

FILTER inclucing merge cell
Hi, I have below data A B C D E Row 1 PLACE CODE STATE CODE STATE Row 2 USA CLIENT CLIENT COMPANY COMPANY Row 3 2-10 SA 20-3 PO Row 4 RUSSIA CLIENT CLIENT COMPANY COMPANY Row 5 201 SR 90-1 OP Please note that I had merge Cell A2 with A3, A4 with A5. I applied autofilter but when I filtered PLACE with criteria USA, it only shows USA CLIENT CLIENT COMPANY COMPANY Is there a way to show as below USA CLIENT CLIENT CO...

Trendline to ignore empty cells
I am working on an Excel spreadsheet that contains 5 sheets of graphs and 5 or 6 sheets of data. I am trying to not show the trendline when a cell is empty. I have found a couple of threads about this but do not quite understand them and would appreciate your help! Most of them refer to the NA() function but I am not sure where to enter that and have it reflect in my chart. I have an average price sheet that contains my total sales for each week and some of those cells are empty. What would I enter into those empty cells so they will not show on the trendline in my chart? Thanks ...

Find & Replace Cell Colors
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Is there any way to find and replace cell colors in Excel? I know you can do this in Excel for PCs but is it an option for Mac users? > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3347540289_42178790 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit On 1/28/10 2:34 PM, in article 59bb1c81.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "bbagby@officeformac.com" <bbagby@of...

add duration field of multiple appointments
I'm curious what the best method for adding duration fields of appointments. If the answer consists of exporting to excel....how can I manipulate the data effecitively. I've tried multiple ways but not getting good results. Thanks. Do you mean in recurring appointments or for several individual appointments? What is the desired result? The duration is calculated from the start and end date - its not something you'd change directly. If we know what your plan is, we might have other suggestions. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-...

Make same attachments to multiple e-mails
I am sending out batches of emails that all require the same one or two attachments. These are not mailing lists but individual mails. How can I attach these without doing it individually to each an every mail (whcih can be time consuming) ? Cheers "Putin" <Putin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7951846B-3F21-4A55-A3E8-890B286609C3@microsoft.com... >I am sending out batches of emails that all require the same one or two > attachments. These are not mailing lists but individual mails. > How can I attach these without doing it individual...

Setting the color of a cell from a cell
I have two worksheets with similar data. In fact they are almos identical. I would like to use a third worksheet to show the cell which are equal as yellow and those which are different as red. I have made an attempt at writing it, and have searched the forums, bu can't find anyone trying to do this. Here the cell formula in 'sheet3'!A1(copied to the whole sheet): =if('sheet1'!a1='sheet2'!a1,setColor('sheet3'!a1,1),setColor('sheet3'!a1,3)) Here is my code for setColor(): Function setColor(R As Range, C As Integer) For Each X In R X.Interior.Col...

Excel 2007 cannot print multiple copies
Hi, We have a problem printing multiply copies of our excel documents, only 1 copy is printed. This started after upgrading from Office 2000 to Office 2007. Printing is generated on HP 3500 / 3700 Color Printers. any suggestions? Hi Patrick I have the problem in Word but not in Excel Brother DCP 340CW I will try to find information about it when I have time -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Patrick Goovaerts" <patrick@pgoovaerts.be> wrote in message news:47137b43$0$29255$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be... > Hi, > > We have a problem pr...

Finding cells with leading characters
My spreadsheet looks like this: A 1 000000 2 182068 3 198506 4 200081 5 368010 6 580905 7 680001 8 686850 9 690060 10 700012 11 701068 12 802054 13 920211 14 968902 Using EDIT/FIND, when I enter '68' in the "Find What:" box, Excel finds A2, A5, A7, A8, A11 and A14 because their values contain '68'. What do I enter in the "Find What:" box to find the cells whose values BEGIN with '68'? (In this example, ...

Export cells and creat word document
What I need to do is take the contents of cells in two columns and export or save them to automatically create a word document. The content of cell in first column would become a Heading 2 in word document and content of cell in second column would be normal text below the Heading 2. When the html tag <br><br> is found this would become a new paragraph. This would continue until all cells have been converted. Page Title Page Text 1. Title 1 text This is text for content under title 1 2. Title 2 text This is text for content under title 2<br...