multi formulas in excel

Please help, I'm trying to show margin or profit on a spread sheet the
formula I am using example:
=C4/C3 Where c4 equals 300.00 and c3 equals 100.00 answer is 33.3% but what
I want is the inverse or 66.7% I have tried =C4/C3-1 but this gives me -66.7%
I need the answser to be positive, example    66.7

=1-C4/C3

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"the_catster" <the_catster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help, I'm trying to show margin or profit on a spread sheet the
> formula I am using example:
> =C4/C3 Where c4 equals 300.00 and c3 equals 100.00 answer is 33.3% but
what
> I want is the inverse or 66.7% I have tried =C4/C3-1 but this gives
me -66.7%
> I need the answser to be positive, example    66.7

0
Bernie
5/13/2005 5:47:48 PM
Shouldn't this simply be

=(C4-C3)/C4

"the_catster" wrote:

> Please help, I'm trying to show margin or profit on a spread sheet the
> formula I am using example:
> =C4/C3 Where c4 equals 300.00 and c3 equals 100.00 answer is 33.3% but what
> I want is the inverse or 66.7% I have tried =C4/C3-1 but this gives me -66.7%
> I need the answser to be positive, example    66.7
0
DukeCarey (494)
5/13/2005 5:50:02 PM
=1-(C3/C4)

BTW you got 33.3% from 100/300, not the way you suggest

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"the_catster" <the_catster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help, I'm trying to show margin or profit on a spread sheet the
> formula I am using example:
> =C4/C3 Where c4 equals 300.00 and c3 equals 100.00 answer is 33.3% but
> what
> I want is the inverse or 66.7% I have tried =C4/C3-1 but this gives
> me -66.7%
> I need the answser to be positive, example    66.7

0
nicolaus (2022)

Sum formula that will stay constant when the data is deleted
What I am trying to do is have a cell that has a basic sum function and the data coming from different cells and when this data is erased, the sum function total will remain. Basicall I have an input box that each person inputs the number of items they receive throughout the day and I would like this to be changed daily but the total from the previous day remain in cell A1 for example. Thanks in advance for the help. Todd There may be other methods, but i've solved this problem with a macro. 1st put a date in the same row as your data you want to keep. Then, create a macro...

Excel, date
I have on cell that has an original manfg. date 1/1/90 (this date will change) the next hydro date is either 3 or 5 years depending on the date. prior to 1/1/91 cylinder must be done every three years and after 1/1/91 they must be done every 5 years. I am stuck on the formula asd I have it now =IF($D$3<B16,1095+D3,1825+D3) any assitance would be of great help. Thnaks Using named cells: Manfg_Date: [any date] Ref_Date: 1-Jan-91 Interval: =IF(Manfg_Date<Ref_Date,3,5) Last_Hydro: [any date] Next_Hydro: =Date(Year(Last_Hydro)+Interval, Month(Last_Hydro), D...

Truncate / Substitute Formulas
Is there a formula that removes everything except numbers from a cell? For example, if a cell contained the text FW345A-A the formula would return the value 345. I got it to somewhat work using SUBSTITUTE on top of itself, but there seems to be a limit in the number of characters you can add to the string. It won't let you add all 26 letters and the dash. >FW345A-A Are the numbers to extract *ALWAYS* together? Will there ever be strings like this: F5W345A-1 1-FW345A-A FW34A5A-A -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Jason W" <Jason W@discussions.mic...

Excel Footers #3
Can anyone tell me how to add more than 255 characters to an Excel Footer please? Hi AFAIK you can't -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Anne" <Anne@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:9D0D1493-F79F-4EA6-8A0C-F6904FD11EA4@microsoft.com... > Can anyone tell me how to add more than 255 characters to an Excel Footer > please? ...

Reset Bottom of an Excel spreadhseet
Is there a way to reset the end of a spreadsheet to the last cell that has information in it? When I press End Home, I am landing on row 6,448 even though I selected rows 500 - 6448 and hit delete. Also, another basic question. Sometimes a range of cells will increment to the next value and sometimes they won't. Is this just due to formatting differences in the cell? Thanks. Ken K. - 2191 -- akkrug Visit Debra's site at http://www.contextures.com/ She tells how to do just that best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "akkru...

Partially hidden Excel formula bar
In Mac OS 10.5, Excel 2008 won't show a complete formula bar. The left side is cut off. I've tried adjusting my display settings, deleting plist files, and uninstalling/reinstalling Office 2008. IF I log in as another user, I get a clear view of the whole formula bar. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thx. In article <65B2FAAD-8DD3-4D0C-8AF6-DC5EF62C71E6@microsoft.com>, Eqbal00 <Eqbal00@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > In Mac OS 10.5, Excel 2008 won't show a complete formula bar. The left side > is cut off. I've tried ad...

How do I get both horizontal and vertical frozen panes in Excell
How does one get both horizontal and vertical frozen panes in Excell spreadsheets? Tried split as described by Microsoft and it does not operate as desired. Am looking to have the first row be 'frozen' at the top when scrolling down and the first 3 columns 'frozen' at the left when scrolling across. You should be able to select cell D2 and select freeze pane and have it do what you want. "CraigScherer" wrote: > How does one get both horizontal and vertical frozen panes in Excell > spreadsheets? Tried split as described by Microsoft and it does not oper...

2 value formula help needed
Hi All Sorry new to this, and am fairly ok on excel but having problems figuring this one out I have some values that i want to total and show and additional currency + total. So as an example Cell A1 A2 A3 A4 (this is how I want it to look) 500.00 600.00 AUD 750.00 1100.00+AUD 750.00 can i do this and how ? thank you just realised i have posted this in access instead of excel - sorry karenp wrote: >Hi All > >Sorry new to this, and am fairly ok on excel but having proble...

How do I create a Gantt Chart in Excel 2003?
Greetings. I vaguely remember being in a training class that showed how to make a Gantt Chart in Excel. Alas, I've lost those notes eons ago. Does anyone know how to create a Gantt chart in Excel? Hi, A good place to start looking from. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/GanttLinks.html Cheers Andy Bewildered KG wrote: > Greetings. > I vaguely remember being in a training class that showed how to make a Gantt > Chart in Excel. Alas, I've lost those notes eons ago. Does anyone know how > to create a Gantt chart in Excel? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel ht...

multi colum listbox
i am trying to create a list box with more than one colum, to no avail having trawled the site i can not find anything which fits the bill can any one point me in the right direction. i am using an excel database with 4 colums and approx 1000 rows. th aim is to select 1 row of data to work on. any suggestions! -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Listboxes are multi-column, just set the columncount property to 4, and set the link range to your data. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing...

combining filters from 2 Multi-Select list boxes
I have been trying to adapt the Multi-Select list box code (shown by Allen Browne) to include 2 list box selections. Allen's code loops through the items selected in an extended listbox to build a wherecondition for the OpenReport cmd. I added a second loop for my second listbox, and strung the 2 conditions into 1. If I set a break point at the openReport line, which is coded as follows DoCmd.OpenReport strDoc, acViewPreview, wherecondition:=strWhere & " AND " & strWhere2, OpenArgs:=strDescrip & " " & strDescrip2 the immediate wind...

Excel 4 macro to VBA translation
Where can I find a good reference source where I can lookup and translate Excel 4 macro codes to their VBA equivalence? Thanks for any help. Tom Tom, My .hlp version of the following has a section titled... "Visual Basic Equivalents for Macro Functions and Commands " I assume the .chm download version here will have the same... http://makeashorterlink.com/?K68332CBB Excel 2000 Help File: Running Excel 4.0 Macros Jim Cone San Francisco, USA "Tom" <tclim36@zip.com.au> wrote in message news:BFLSe.28299$Le2.254141@nasal.pacific.net.au... Where can I find a g...

Formula Guidance Requested
Folks, I'm baffled as to which formulas to use to perform these calculations: I have a sheet with three columns: A = Customer Number B = Number of Users C = Total Monthly Fee There are 700+ rows of data. The values in A will range from 1-500. I've created a table on another sheet that segments the above data into groups that I assign. The table looks like this: B = Group (Alpha identifier for group) C = starting number in range (ex. 1) E = ending number in range (ex. 3) This table has 9 rows (6:14) with each row representing a different range (ex. 1-3, 4-6, 7-10, 11-25, etc.) F...

MS Office 4.3 Pro with Excel 5.0c
Hi All, This is probably a strange question Is there ANY possibility that I can still download this software anywhere. I've an old (but very good) 50000 lines Macro 4 program causing my Excel 2000 to crash. My old disks aren't trustworthy anymore. The main thing is the Excel 5.0c but the office 4.3 pro should be better. Indeed I'm an antiquity :):):) Nevertheless for me important. Hoping in a solution for which I'm grateful. Kind regards Eric Does Microsoft store such archive things on the net in FTP directories or something? I tried ebay.com and searched for "mic...

Openeing Excel File in New Window
I am having a Form in my Excel sheet which runs all the time. whenever I try to open a new Excel sheet. that Forms popup and restricts Excel file from openeing si I have to open a new window and then open that file in new window. Please help with HOW TO OPEN THE EXCEL FIEL IN A NEW WINDOW EVERY TIME. Do you mean a new instance of excel--running excel 2 times--not just having another window in the same instance? If yes, try: tools|options|general|Check the "ignore other applications" box Then open the second file by either double clicking it in windows explorer or by opening t...

Pivot tables Excel vs Access
I am trying to create a pivot table in Excel to assign exam grades in particular subjects to pupils. If I do this in Excel all the grades are changed to the value 1. If I do it in Access the grades are maintained - does anyone have any idea why this should be handled differently in these two office programs? At present I have a table in excel which I have to export to access to create the pivot table and then copy it back. Surely I shouldnt need to do this every time? Help!!!!!!!! If you format the grades as Percent, do they display correctly? Mike Eyre wrote: > I am trying to c...

subtotal by page in excel
how can you subtotal at the end of each page in excel? Nothing in common in order to utilize the subtotal menu option. Can you elaborate on your situation. Do you need subtotals within a page or just a total at the end of each page? Are you linking formulas from one sheet to other sheets to capture "subtotals"? "michelle scott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:c97401c48a09$71e3f4c0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > how can you subtotal at the end of each page in excel? > Nothing in common in order to utilize the subtotal menu > option. ...

creating WMF files in Excel
I have a picture in my worksheet and want to save it as WMF file. Is it possible to do it ? Any chance you could copy and paste into your favorite graphics editor and then save from there? GeorgeM wrote: > > I have a picture in my worksheet and want to save it as WMF file. > Is it possible to do it ? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Excel 2002 Security Issue
When a user opens an Excel file that has macros, and if there security is set to medium or high, they get that dialog box that asks them whether or not to enable macros. With macro security set to Medium in Excle 2002, is there a way to disable the request. I have tried checking both check boxes in Trusted Sources, to no avail. Thanks for any guidance. The trusted sources approach will work, but only if the macros have a digital signature (indicating a source whom you can trust). The cheap way to create those signatures is for the macro author to find and run the selfcert.exe file...

Copy &amp; Paste table from Excel to Word
Folks, When I copy and paste an Excel table into Word the formatting goe awry. Yet this happens only occasionally. It's obviously something I' doing/not doing! I would be grateful for any assistance in this matter. Thanks very much Johnn -- Johnny37 Hi Johnny If formatting is a problem, one way to handle it is to copy/paste as picture rather than table. 1. select the range of cells in Excel that you want to copy. 2. Whle holding down the SHIFT key, pull-down: Edit > Copy Picture and do the copy 3. go to your word document and paste Since the object is a picture rather...

Excel 2007 Password Recovery
Hi, im in a fix as an employee has placed a password on open on one of my documents, she does not remember what the password is, can you help me to figure out how to recover this password. I have tried numerous recovery tools and still no luck. This document contains vital information and starting a fresh is not a option. Thanks Hi, You can buy a password cracking utility on the web, google Excel Password Cracker. This should tell you that passwords are not total security. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "OS360_ITMAN" wrote: > Hi, im in a fix as an employee has placed a...

Lookup formula returning same value for multiple lookup values
I am using a formula to retrieve information from one worksheet to another. To simplify my issue, see if you can understand the example below: 1. Open a new worksheet 2. In Column A, enter the numbers 1 thru 9 down the column 3. In Column B, enter the numbers A thru I down the column 4. In Column F, list the following numbers down the column: 5, 9, 4, 12, 6, 7, 22, 3, 450 5. In Column G, enter the formula: =LOOKUP(F1,$A$1:$A$9,$B$1:$B$9) 6. Copy the formula down and look at the results. For the values 12, 22 and 450, the logic should have failed, but returns the bottom-most value from the ...

Pdf File To Excel #2
How To Convert Pdf File Into Excel File. I Am Having Pdf File Which Are Created From Graphs & Want To Covert I Excel Pls Suggest Me Any Link Or Addins Thanks In Advance -- NITESH ----------------------------------------------------------------------- NITESH G's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1759 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49602 You need to have one of the following, Adobe Acrobat Exchange (5.0) Acrobat Professional (6.0) or Acrobat 7.0. There are some other vendor who make programs which will...

Code for emailing Excel workbooks will only attach activeworkbook
Hi, Ok so when a non-programmer tries to take code and "tweak it" for a different use...here's what happens....it doesn't work. Can anyone help? What I've got is an Excel file I'm using as a template. I run a macro (not the one below) to create a report for Zone 1. I save the file with a name like "December report - Zone 1". Then I run the macro for Zone 2 and save the file with a name like "December report - Zone 2" and so on for many zones. Within the Excel file there is a sheet called Email. On the Email sheet, starting wit...

How to display 4 order Polynomial equation from the Excel in VB6
Hi there, How to display 4 order Polynomial equation from the Excel in VB6 ? I can display the Polynomial equation by the following code, onething unsatisfactory it returns a 2 order Polynomial equation by default. but I need to get the 4 order Polynomial equation for further process. Your earliest reply will be highly appreciated! ' Set the trendline to be a Logarithmic trendline. tlSeries1Trend.Type = chConstants.chTrendlineTypePolynomial Have a nice week end 对不起,我本意想问chartspace 控件中,如何显示4阶多项式的曲线。 Sorry, I correct my question as follows: " by default, ...