MS Excel performance with Windows 7 Starter

Hi,

I use a netbook and performance is quite okay with most app's. It's just got
an Atom processor with 2G RAM. The performance in excel is very slow, is
there anything that I can do to speed it up? I am using Excel 2007 Home and
Student and navigating from one cell to the next is quite slow. Love Windows
7 and Office 2007 but am ageing fast, HELP!!
--
PaulD

tangent excel question
this isnt necessarily an excel question, but it is related in that i affects a spreadsheet im working on. ive been looking for a centerline symbol, but none of the fonts i hav installed seem to include this symbol. it is a blueprint / surveyin symbol that has a L superimposed by a c. i am using CL right now bu would like to use the actual symbol for aesthetics. is there a way i can make a custom symbol or does anyone know where can find a font that would include such a symbol? thank you. i lov excel. ^_ -- lsu-i-lik ---------------------------------------------------------------------...

Excel 2007 Pivot Tables
1. How can I create a Pivot Table from a text file, downloaded from a mainframe database? I have been told this could be done in previous versions of Excel. 2. If I get a new text file each day, how can I refresh the existing Pivot Table, without the necessity of recreating Thank you very much Marsh Import the Text file into Excel. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Marsh" <Marsh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C480551-AE4D-4E31-B6DC-DF527E532091@microsoft.com... > 1. How can I create a Pivot Table from a text file, downlo...

How do I link Excel pages to a different master Excel workbook?
I am trying to take part lists from different assemblies and link them to a master part list. Ideally one sheet from the assembly part lists will have many pages and be linked to a sheet in the master part list with the name of that specific assembly. I am operating on Midrosoft Office Version 2003. open both the master and your part list on your master if you set a cell to (="name of part list book"!A1) you can do that by clicking any cell on the other workbook with them both open its just like a formula on the sheet only instead it has the workbooks name first i hope thi...

Graphing in Excel
Does anyone know any good graphing tutorials for excel??? I am havin difficulty graphing a dual line graph. I don't know the problem origin. Any help would be tremendous -- Mrinkli ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Mrinklin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2536 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38935 M, Get familiar with internet searches (like www.google.com). It's a good resource. A search for "excel chart tutorial" (w/o quotes) would find Jon Pel...

Excel Function VLOOKUP
Hi, I'm having trouble looking up a table of "Names". The table deifene below is called ROL_IS and list hundred of other defined tables. Error where: =VLOOKUP(A33,VLOOKUP(CUR_MON,ROL_IS,3,FALSE),2,FALSE) but no errors where =VLOOKUP(A33,ACT_IS,2,FALSE) or =VLOOKUP(CUR_MON,ROL_IS,3,FALSE) ANS: ACT_IS The array function in VLOOKUP appears not to converting formula to NAME. If anyone knows or needs further details if would be appreciated. Thanks Elizabet -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If I understand you correctly =VLOOKUP(A33,INDIRECT(VLOOKU...

Refresh Excel file
After refreshing an Excel file, does the record stay at the one you were working on or does it go back to the first record of the file? This doesn't seem like an Excel question. Maybe you could explain what you're trying to do. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "excel dummy" <excel dummy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3007EE5-7CC7-45F7-B6E0-BCAB71199012@microsoft.com... | After refreshing an Excel file, does the record stay at the one you were | working on or does it go back to the first record of the file? ...

Bar chart with a Percentage
I have a bar chart that has 4 vertical bars. On the 2nd and 4th bar I'd like to list the percentage it is of the 1st and 3rd bar, respectively. I already have labeled each bar with its numerical value and data name. Can I do this? If so, how? I've tried for about 2 hours now. Thanks in advance for any help! >-----Original Message----- >I have a bar chart that has 4 vertical bars. On the 2nd >and 4th bar I'd like to list the percentage it is of the >1st and 3rd bar, respectively. I already have labeled >each bar with its numerical value and data name....

Change the default color Excel 2007 uses to highlight selected cel
I'm using Excel 2007 and I'd like to change the default color Excel 2007 uses to highlight the selected cells in a worksheet. When selecting a range (ex. A1:D10). The selected range takes on a light transparent blue. Very hard to see when working in selected range. I've tried changing Office>Excel Options>Popular>Color Scheme - 3 colors to choose from (Blue, Silver, Black). This doesn't make a difference with the selection color at all. Also tried to change the Personalization>Appearance>Different Color Schemes with the Advanced option>Item areas, thi...

Have free download for Excel for viewing files only.
I have received a file in an email and I cannot view it because I don't have Excel. PowerPoint has a free download so that you can view a presentation. If Excel had this same option, people would be able to view a spreadsheet sent to them for free. If that person wanted to make any changes to the file, THEN they would need to purchase Excel. You can download XL viewer from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4EB83149-91DA-4110-8595-4A960D3E1C7C&displaylang=EN Watch for text wrap, Regards, "CJPrevette" <CJPrevette@discussions.microsoft.co...

Window disappears by clicking the caption
Hey everybody, I�ve written my own messagebox class in order to show costum icons. Everything works fine until I accidently clicked the caption of the message-window and realized that it disappeared (which probably means somehow the modal loop was interrupted). Any ideas? Thanks in advance Sighn Not sure if this would work, but overload the OnSize=20 method, use the SetWindowPos, and have the Z-order to be=20 top most. Check the documentation to make sure. Larry >-----Original Message----- >Hey everybody, > >I=B4ve written my own messagebox class in order to show=20 c...

Money 2007 and Windows Vista
Hi, I installed Windows Vista RC1 and Microsoft Money 2007 but I can´t import or use my backup files of MOney from Windows XP. I only can start a new file. It worries to me enough that cannot use Money 2007 in Vista. It will be solved in the final version? Thnak you In microsoft.public.money, Noalbi wrote: >Hi, I installed Windows Vista RC1 and Microsoft Money 2007 but I can�t import >or use my backup files of MOney from Windows XP. I only can start a new file. >It worries to me enough that cannot use Money 2007 in Vista. It will be >solved in the final version? You ...

Excel 2003 #4
Hope someone out there can help, I have lost the toolbars and menu bars in Excel, at first I thought it was showing full screen but it wasn't I then tried to Alt/V to bring up the view menu but again nothing. Have re-installed Excel but still not showing, can anyone help me with this please. And you're sure that the window isn't just too far up and off the visible viewing area--so all that you would need to do is resize that window? If you can see excel's application title bar, then this isn't the problem. If you want to reset all the toolbars back to factory default...

Accessing Excel pages using VB
Hi. I'm wondering if any of you can help me with a problem I'm having. It's likely a trivial answer, but I'm not seeing it at the moment. I'm using VB 6.0 and Excel 2002. I have an Excel workbook that has information about days of the month -- each day having an individual spreadsheet 'Day (1)', 'Day (2)', etc. as tabs along the bottom of the workbook. I want to be able to access information from individual "days" using a VB application and do some processing and then printing of the data in VB. First of all, when addressing data on spre...

crm 4.0 mui packs performance question
does installing MUI packs on the server and office client affects the performance of the crm server? any review or document on this matter? While I have not seen any official data on the subject, I would be surprised if it had much effect. Installing (and provisioning) a MUI pack does essentially 3 things: 1. Installs the resource assembly 2. Adds strings to the database (LocalizedLabel) 3. Adds language specific templates for email and kb articles. 1 should have no effect, 2 and 3 above will have a small affect due more data in the tables, but it should not be much. "Benjamin ...

Security Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB956744) Cannot Install.
For Windows Server 2003. This is a standard Windows Update that I try to install but get a message that it failed to install. I can't find any source to tell me why it won't or what I can do about it. I am not getting an error code of any sort - it is just listed under "not installed" when I get my update installation screen at the end of the installs. Can anyone help please? I downloaded the update manually from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=a37a2d8a-a5ce-4f06-bf07-8cafa16e7a59&displaylang=en Ran it, and then ran Check U...

Mouse move on parent window and child window
Hi all, I have static conrol when i mouse move on this control then a dialog control will display on static' s region(dialog is child of static control), when mouse leave then dialog will hide, but i have problem is when mouse move on dialog then on static is mouse leave, i want when mouse move on dialog then mouse move on static control too. anybody have solution to solve this problem, pls help me? Thanks very much, David, This is probably the wrong approach. Look at TraceMouseEvent and WM_MOUSELEAVE as alternatives. There is no guarantee that you will see the mouse hit any p...

Mouse scroll wheel does not work under Windows XP in CListCtrl
I am using my own List-Controls which are using CListCtrl as base. In this Controls the mouse scroll wheel does not work under Windows XP. Is there any parameter which should be set? Best regards rolf brockmann On Tue, 23 May 2006 02:51:01 -0700, rolfb <rolfb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am using my own List-Controls which are using CListCtrl as base. >In this Controls the mouse scroll wheel does not work under Windows XP. >Is there any parameter which should be set? It ought to just work. If you are using Intellipoint, note that later versions of Intellipoint requir...

Access Runtime 2007 with Windows 7 Crashing
I am setting up new Dell Windows 7, 64 bit machines and have installed Access Runtime 2007 which keeps crashing. Windows is telling me that the solution is this update: KB957262 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=6F4EDEED-D83F-4C31-AE67-458AE365D420&displaylang=en but the update wont install. The info I have gathered from is that this update fails with this error code because it cant find access. Is there a way to force this update to fix the problem without installing a full copy of access? If not my work around is to install Access Runtime 2003 along w...

Distorted Print Preview in Excel 2007
All of the sudden Print Preview and printing is distorted as compared to the chart as displayed during design. Verticle grid lines are missing and the horizontal axis appears to be log. ...

Recover Deleted Items #7
When I access my Exchange mailbox through OWA and open the deleted items folder, I get an option to "Recover Deleted Items". When I access the mailbox on our local network using Outlook 2003 I can't find out where in Outlook that function exists. Secondly, is there a way to limit how large that "Recovery" pool is? Chuck <cjduchon@yahoo.com> wrote: > When I access my Exchange mailbox through OWA and open the deleted > items folder, I get an option to "Recover Deleted Items". > > When I access the mailbox on our local network using Ou...

Running Outlook 97 on Windows XP Pro
not able to sent mail but able to rec'v mail. Any suggestion! By the way, is Outlook 97 compatable on Windows XP Pro Joanne Ngiam@vectronic.com.sg <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > not able to sent mail but able to rec'v mail. Any > suggestion! By the way, is Outlook 97 compatable on > Windows XP Pro Outlook 97 is compatible with Windows XP, since I use it there myself. However, there is once thing about Outlook 97 that is not compatible with broadband ISPs that require you to log in: you cannot set authentication to the outbound server. This means...

Changing how Excel INTERPRETS dates
Anybody know how to change the way Excel interprets dates? For the lif of me I can't remember. I don't just mean reformatting a cell. I mean if one would typ "8/11/04" Excel would read this as November 08, 2004 and not August 11 2004. Any hope would be much appreciated, Dav -- dgreenfiel ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dgreenfield's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1629 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27689 Hi this is defined in your Windows - Region...

Excel Formula 02-06-10
I Need a Formula which can tell me eg. on seperate wotksheet a report of which product is chipset and from which suppliers.Thanks for any help I get. A B C 1 Product 1 Supplier 2 £10.00 2 Product 2 Supplier 1 £8.00 3 Product 3 Supplier 2 £8.00 4 Product 2 Supplier 2 £6.00 5 Product 1 Supplier 2 £11.00 6 Product 3 Supplier 1 £7.00 Farid, I think you mean:- cheapest - and not chipset. "Farid" wrote: > I Need a Formula which can tell me eg. on seperate wotksheet a report of > which product is chipset and from which ...

child window drawing extends onto dialog
This has got to be something obvious. I've subclassed a static control on my dialog with a CWnd-derived class, call it CMyControl. Here's how the control is declared in the rc file: LTEXT "Static",IDC_STATIC_GRAPH,7,5,240,149 In CMyControl::OnPaint() I do some drawing using CPaintDC::SetPixel(). That works fine. However, if the drawing extends beyond the bounds of CMyControl's client rectangle (which sometimes happens -- it's data being read from a machine-control device), I would like it to not be visible. Instead, it's being drawn onto the parent dia...

Excel macro deployment
Hi I have been deploying Excel macro to workstations using an MSI. The MSI creates a folder under program folders and drops the xla files in the folder. The installer also sets a registry value. When the user opens Excel, the macros begin. This works fine for Excel 2003. What do I need to do to properly install Macros under Excel 2007 and Excel 2010? Thanks ...