moving mouse highlights cells without touching left mouse button

in excel, it seems there is some sort of lock on so when i move my mouse
around in a worksheet, it highlights all of the cells i move across. this
happens when the left mouse button isn't being touched, and i can't work out
what i have done to do this. have already tried the f8 button, but this
doesn't help
0
bremboy (2)

Is it a wheelie-mouse?

Try depressing the wheel a few times.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 02:41:05 -0800, "bremboy"
<bremboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>in excel, it seems there is some sort of lock on so when i move my mouse
>around in a worksheet, it highlights all of the cells i move across. this
>happens when the left mouse button isn't being touched, and i can't work out
>what i have done to do this. have already tried the f8 button, but this
>doesn't help

0
Gord
1/27/2005 5:37:50 PM
yes it is so i will try that in future. resolved the matter by deleting the
default workbook template, so it was recreated when the system was restarted.
thank you for your help tho, much obliged

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Is it a wheelie-mouse?
>
> Try depressing the wheel a few times.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 02:41:05 -0800, "bremboy"
> <bremboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >in excel, it seems there is some sort of lock on so when i move my mouse
> >around in a worksheet, it highlights all of the cells i move across. this
> >happens when the left mouse button isn't being touched, and i can't work out
> >what i have done to do this. have already tried the f8 button, but this
> >doesn't help

0
bremboy (2)

Removing characters from cell
Hope someone can help me with this one.... I have text in column "A" a list of parts like the following..... ...nhg1234 ..nhg1235.54 nhg3456 ....nhg1253.7 Is thier anyway of removing the dots in front the part number? I dont want the points moving after the the main part of the number. Please help TiA mag()() Do you part numbers all start with nhg? If yes, you could select column A edit|Replace what: .n with: n replace all And keep hitting the replace all button until all are fixed. "Mag()()" wrote: > > Hope someone can help me with this one.... >...

Hiding Settings section in left menubar
Hi all, I can't hide the Settings area in left menubar. I want to hide it for all users except system administrator. In security roles doesn't appear the option. I'm doing something wrong? Thanks to all in advance. One idea is that If you use the outlook version of CRM your users will not see the Settings. It automatically diappears. The settings tab only shows up in the Web Version --------------------------- Pierre Hulsebus - CRM Consultant http://www.ehtc.com/ehtc/infuse.htm Certified Integration Between Microsoft CRM to Microsoft Solomon --------------------------...

SFO without msde?
Is there a way to use the Sales for Outlook user interface without the msde database that is downloaded locally? I'd like to get some of the SFO functionality with Terminal Services/Citrix, but I understand the geniuses at Microsoft wrote CRM to use only one msde instance per computer. Hi Michael: You are correct and we are struggling with the same thing. I'm currently trying to figure out a way to use the core of the SFO objects in a Citrix environment. Not having the MSDE component would rule-out going off-line, but our (potential) client is ok with that as long as they can ...

How to count cells
Hi, I want to put a summary of Job orders in a table. (Excel (Zip) file attached) I am having a problem of total. I want to make a total of only approved job orders not the all job orders. Also if the column contains hot / cold type, I need red and bold for hot job order of complete row. Also I want to be counted by job type and entity. For example, in the total approved 7 permits, CONST entity 3 cold jobs and 1 hot job. how can i display in the abstract table. Can anyone help me please. +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: count.zip ...

Unpopulated Cell Address
Hi I'm a newbie and was wondering can anyone help with my query. I am trying to find out how to print a spreadsheet with just the data that is contained in certain cell address's. Where a cell address is not populated I want the whole row to not appear in a printed copy. Any ideas? Try this idea Sub hiderowsandprint() With Range("a1:a21") .SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Rows.Hidden = True .Resize(21, 8).PrintPreview .Rows.Hidden = False End With End Sub -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Mick Smith" <notsa...

change the formula by changing contents of cell
I have a table that ranks a list of players by their statistics, for example, when I change cell B2 to "walks", my formula (large) lists the player with the most walks in cell B4, 2nd most in B5, 3rd in B6... that works well because more walks are good. But, when I change cell B2 to "strikeouts" I want it to list the player with the fewest number of strikeouts in B4, next fewest in B5 and so on. Is there a way to change the "large" function to the "small" function within the formula? I have set up a helper cell (C2) that changes fro...

Question about moving Outlook 2003 from an old computer to a new one
Microsoft Office Assistance has the following article, which describes the details for moving Outlook 2000 to a new computer: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010549451033.aspx I was wondering what, if anything, has changed for Outlook 2003? I'm asking only becuase I can't find a similar article, and I'm going to need to do this later next week. Thanks! Larry Larry Kahm <lkahm@nospam_heliotropicsystems.com> wrote: > Microsoft Office Assistance has the following article, which > describes the details for moving Outlook 2000 to a new computer: &g...

Preventing Column Cell Values from Printing
I have a summary worksheet with several columns of information. There is one particular column (E25:F39) where I don't always want to print the values. Is there some simple way to toggle this column's values on and off just before hitting the print command? I was thinking of using an adjacent tick box outside the print area, which when ticked would print the column values, and vice-versa. I'm looking for a formula that would examine the tick box, and if the tick (letter 'a' in Marlett font) is not present (i.e. cell value = ""), then the values in column (E25:...

How do I change the value in cell based on a future date
I would like certain cells to be cleared after a certain date one way: Put this in the ThisWorkbook code module (Right-click the workbook title bar and choose View Code): Public Sub Workbook_Open() If Date > #12/15/2004# Then _ Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1,B2,J10,K39").ClearContents End Sub Note that this won't work if the user opens your workbook with macros disabled. Note also that there's no way to prevent a user from accessing your data - i.e., they can set their clock back and open the file. You can make things more difficu...

IF COUNTIF & COUNTA on Filtered Visible Cells #7
Hi Frank, Hope this will help. Correction to Last Posting: My Helper Column "U" increments one Row at a time and says: Check from Row above Current Row back to beginning of my "V" Range: i the Room was used previously give me the Last (MAX) time it was used b returning the relevant Row Number of the (text based) Group Nam (Executive, Trainees, Manager, Graphics, etc.) that used the Room Last The Helper Column "U" then passes this data to the Formula in Colum "T" - it checks for the criteria within the specified Range and doe the COUNT calculation us...

Move gridlines in a chart so that they are above the numbers
I have done a chart in excel and the gridlines are set so that the y axis numbers are inbetween the gridlines. When I choose minor gridlines I get double the gridlines. I just want a gridline above each number in my y axis Double click the axis that intersects the gridlines, and on the Scale tab, uncheck Axis Crosses Between Categories. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Tara Medway" <Tara Medway@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47400C54-74B4-4E67-93AD-AE8B3F09BE47@microsoft.com...

moving all incoming mail to deleted items folder
We are trying to setup students who graduate from our school so that any incoming mail will be forwarded to a new address and if they have not setup a forwarding address, their incoming mail will be deleted with an out of office reply sent to the sender indicating that the user is no longer a student and has not setup forwarding. Graduated students would also not have OWA enabled as well. The one thing that seems hard to do is to create a rule that will move all incoming mail to the deleted items folder. Does anyone know of how to have all incoming mail subject to a rule to move to deleted ...

Data within a cell
If names are in cells as "last name, first name, middle initial" can a macro be run to change the order to "first name, middle initial, last name"? A formula will do Assuming you have spaces between commas and names, =MID(A2,FIND(",",A2)+2,FIND(",",A2,FIND(",",A2)))&RIGHT(A2,FIND(",",A2,FIND(",",A2)))&", "&LEFT(A2,FIND(",",A2)-1) Then just copy down. If you want this more permanent, copy the cells with formulas, right click, paste special. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click &q...

Transfering a changing cell value progressively through a workbook
I am creating a payment application form in excel 2007 using windows 7. Each worksheet represents one months invoice. Say I have a formula in "sheet 1/ cell Q7" that sums the total billed to date for a particular budget line item. This value will be transfered to a the next months payment application "sheet 2/ cell K7" this becomes the total amount of previous applications, then "sheet 2/ Q7 is =sum(K7,M7,O7) this value is transfered to "sheet 3/ K7, and so on and so on, until the completion of the job. How do I acomplish this. -- Thanks Mike ...

Data entered from list automatically enters number in another cell
I am using Excel 2007 and here is an simplified example of what I need. Items Price Potatoes 4.35 Apples 5.55 Oranges 7.95 Onions 4.55 Carrots 3.75 Items Column is List for Valid entries in table below Prices are the numbers I want entered when I enter the Item If I enter Oranges from Dropdown List in A16 , I want Excel to automatically enter the number 7.95 3 columns over in D16,or if it is quite a bit easier, just 1 column over in cell B16 Example of table I want: My Entries: Excel Enters ...

Preventing Excel files from being moved or deleted
What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an Excel file on a network? This is more of an network operating system setting question. I would think putting the file on a share that the users only had readonly access would be enough. But this would mean that the users could still copy (not move) the file. And they wouldn't be able to update the workbook. bg500 wrote: > > What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an > Excel file on a network? -- Dave Peterson All explained in Start>Help and Support "p...

how to move cursor in the formula
Hi, all, The formula is much too long in the conditional formatting and only a portion of it is displayed. How to move the cursor without changing the cell references? thx Try hitting the F2 key. And watch the lower left corner of the Status bar. You'll be toggling between point and Edit mode. It works that way in worksheet formulas, too. Jack Zhong wrote: > > Hi, all, > > The formula is much too long in the conditional formatting and only a > portion of it is displayed. How to move the cursor without changing the > cell references? > > thx -- Dave ...

Switch format characteristics cell-by-cell?
I want to do something like this: IIf([table_a].addr1 <> [tableb].addr1, SwitchToBold([tablea].addr1), [tablea].addr1) Is there such a function or set of functions, e.g. switch to italics or change the font entirely? I can't find it and am not entirely sure where to look. Thanks in advance. On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:30:14 -0700, Jonathan Ball <notgenx32@yahoo.com> wrote: >I want to do something like this: > >IIf([table_a].addr1 <> [tableb].addr1, SwitchToBold([tablea].addr1), >[tablea].addr1) > >Is there such a function or set of functions, e.g. swit...

How many characters per cell
How many characters can you fit into one cell. We are having a problem with text being cut off when printing, but i shows up when viewing on either Print Preview or normal view -- aletoconstc ----------------------------------------------------------------------- aletoconstco's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3533 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55334 Excel Help on "limits" or "specifications" reveals that Excel will allow 32,767 characters to be entered in a cell. However, it goes on t...

Starting a macro by editing a cell
I would like a macro to be initiated whenever someone edits a particula cell, does anyone now how this can be done? Many Thanks, Yianni -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Yiannis You would need on change macro in the worksheet module Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Target.Address = "$A$1" Then my code gets actioned here if target.value = "" then exit sub end if End If End Su -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Find Last cell with Date
I need to find the last cell in a row that has a date entered. The date should then be entered into another cell which is updated as more dates are added to the row. Thanks for your help. Ken Russell Remove hat to reply by e-mail kenrussellhat@optushome.com.au --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.742 / Virus Database: 495 - Release Date: 19/08/2004 Hi for column A try: =LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E307,A:A) Note: - returns the last NUMERIC value. that is you can't differentiate between numbers and dates (as ...

Clear cell value without macro?
Is there any way to clear a cell value when the sheet is selected or the workbook opened without using a macro? Ed Click on the cell and press the <delete> key. Is this what you mean? Pete On Dec 9, 1:44=A0pm, Ed from AZ <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Is there any way to clear a cell value when the sheet is selected or > the workbook opened without using a macro? > > Ed > On Dec 9, 1:44 pm, Ed from AZ wrote: > > Is there any way to clear a cell value when the sheet is selected or > > the workbook opened without using a macro? On Dec 9, 7:02=A0a...

Bitmap button question #2
I'm trying to create a bitmap button. Here's what I've done: 1. Added a CStatic control to my dialog. 2. Set it's ID to IDC_BMPBUTTON 3. In the classwizzard, member varialbes tab, created a member variable m_Button, of type CBitmapButton (I had to manually change this from CStatic). 4. In the OnInitDialog(), I've added: m_BitmapButton.LoadBitmaps(IDB_BITMAP1, IDB_BITMAP2, IDB_BITMAP3, IDB_BITMAP4); m_BitmapButton.SizeToContent(); m_BitmapButton.ShowWindow(SW_SHOW); When I run my dialog, the bitmap appears grey. And which ...

need to be able to set security on the buttons on the custom keybo
need to be able to set security on the buttons on the custom keyboard especially the minus key . any user can refund an item. when the minus key is pressed it refunds an item this is a security issuse as the user can then press the plus symbol and the item can be refunded multiple times. these action buttons need to be locked down and potentially a report should be availble to the administrators so they can see staright away which items have which security levels assigned against them .To hard to try and track each shop as they all require different keyboards and differtent security s...

Cells with same text but excel think it's different?
I have two cells with exacely the same text. but excel think it's different and not returning any value for my vlookup.. I used if statement and the result is showing the 2 cells are different. I checked format, space and even '. can someone please help? thanks. Do you have an 0 instead of a O? (Number zero, letter O) -- Regards Andy Wiggins www.BygSoftware.com Home of "Save and BackUp", "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA" "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84F83A62-88D7-4292-9B2E-B8F34B737B48@mic...