move cell contents

Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a formula.  ex:
if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5?  Also, I am using
=INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from a list.
I have the formula in different place pick random names from different list.
This does work, but I have different list with some of the same names and
with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.
--
Thanks for any and all help.
Davidl

Hi David

a formula can only affect the cell it is in, it can't move or change another
cell for this you need some code ...

from what i gather you've got two lists from which you're picking random
names, however, sometimes you get a duplicated name when you combine the
results of the two lists and you don't want this to happen?  if this is the
case, i don't understand how moving a name from g5 to j5 will help?

--
Cheers
JulieD
"David L" <DavidL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a formula.
> ex:
> if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5?  Also, I am using
> =INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from a
> list.
> I have the formula in different place pick random names from different
> list.
> This does work, but I have different list with some of the same names and
> with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.
> --
> Thanks for any and all help.
> Davidl

0
JulieD1 (2295)
4/12/2005 4:42:01 PM
You cannot move with a formula, only refer to and then change to a value.
OR, you a macro.
range("a1").move range("b1")

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"David L" <DavidL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a formula.
ex:
> if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5?  Also, I am using
> =INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from a
list.
> I have the formula in different place pick random names from different
list.
> This does work, but I have different list with some of the same names and
> with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.
> --
> Thanks for any and all help.
> Davidl

0
Don
4/12/2005 4:43:30 PM
David

Formulas can return results but not "move" contents to other cells.

You would require a formula in J5 to show the results of G5.

Moving cell contents can be done through VBA code.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:37:02 -0700, "David L"
<DavidL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a formula.  ex:
>if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5?  Also, I am using
>=INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from a list.
>I have the formula in different place pick random names from different list.
>This does work, but I have different list with some of the same names and
>with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.

0
Gord
4/12/2005 4:55:28 PM
Hi Julie,
You are right about the duplicate names.  Actually, I have several list to
pick from.  I have a front page.  It has 17 different locations I need names
to go into.  Each list I randomly pick from has its own catogory.  The
different catogories contain some of the same names.  I need to pick a random
name from each catogory and not have them duplicate the same name within the
17 locations.  If there is a vba code that can be written, I would appericate
the help and instructions own how to use the code within the worksheet.

Thanks again,
David L

"JulieD" wrote:

> Hi David
>
> a formula can only affect the cell it is in, it can't move or change another
> cell for this you need some code ...
>
> from what i gather you've got two lists from which you're picking random
> names, however, sometimes you get a duplicated name when you combine the
> results of the two lists and you don't want this to happen?  if this is the
> case, i don't understand how moving a name from g5 to j5 will help?
>
> --
> Cheers
> JulieD
> check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm
> ....well i'm working on it anyway
> "David L" <DavidL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a formula.
> > ex:
> > if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5?  Also, I am using
> > =INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from a
> > list.
> > I have the formula in different place pick random names from different
> > list.
> > This does work, but I have different list with some of the same names and
> > with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.
> > --
> > Thanks for any and all help.
> > Davidl

0
DavidL1 (20)
4/12/2005 6:03:03 PM
Hi David

this could be difficult, as any code that i can envisage running would cause
the sheet to recalculate - which means that it would change all of the 17
names not just the duplicated ones (that's if all 17 of them are populated
by a formula in the cell) .. a solution, therefore (from my knowledge base
anyway) would be a macro that keeps running until all 17 locations have
unique names in them, would that be an option .. however, basically, apart
from the fact you have to check all 17 manually, you could achieve the same
by pressing the F9 key ......... so, do you think a macro like this would be
useful?
--
> Hi Julie,
> You are right about the duplicate names.  Actually, I have several list to
> pick from.  I have a front page.  It has 17 different locations I need
> names
> to go into.  Each list I randomly pick from has its own catogory.  The
> different catogories contain some of the same names.  I need to pick a
> random
> name from each catogory and not have them duplicate the same name within
> the
> 17 locations.  If there is a vba code that can be written, I would
> appericate
> the help and instructions own how to use the code within the worksheet.
>
> Thanks again,
> David L
>
> "JulieD" wrote:
>
>> Hi David
>>
>> a formula can only affect the cell it is in, it can't move or change
>> another
>> cell for this you need some code ...
>>
>> from what i gather you've got two lists from which you're picking random
>> names, however, sometimes you get a duplicated name when you combine the
>> results of the two lists and you don't want this to happen?  if this is
>> the
>> case, i don't understand how moving a name from g5 to j5 will help?
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> JulieD
>> check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm
>> ....well i'm working on it anyway
>> "David L" <DavidL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a formula.
>> > ex:
>> > if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5?  Also, I am using
>> > =INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from a
>> > list.
>> > I have the formula in different place pick random names from different
>> > list.
>> > This does work, but I have different list with some of the same names
>> > and
>> > with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.
>> > --
>> > Thanks for any and all help.
>> > Davidl

0
JulieD1 (2295)
4/13/2005 3:20:04 PM
Hi David

okay here it is

first, select your 17 cells (use the control key to get them) and then click
in the name box (little box to left of formula bar) and type
myrng
and press ENTER

then, right mouse click on a sheet tab and choose view code
in the VBE Window choose insert / module
on the right hand side of the screen copy & paste this
---

Sub eliminatedups()

    Dim Temp As Variant
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim NoExchanges As Integer
    Dim myvals(16) As String

here:
    Calculate
    i = 0
    For Each c In Range("myrng")
        myvals(i) = c.Value
        i = i + 1
    Next

    ' Loop until no more "exchanges" are made.
    Do
        NoExchanges = True

        ' Loop through each element in the array.
        For i = 0 To UBound(myvals) - 1
            ' If the element is greater than the element
            ' following it, exchange the two elements.
            If myvals(i) > myvals(i + 1) Then
                NoExchanges = False
                Temp = myvals(i)
                myvals(i) = myvals(i + 1)
                myvals(i + 1) = Temp
            ElseIf myvals(i) = myvals(i + 1) Then 'added GD
                GoTo here
            End If
        Next i
    Loop While Not (NoExchanges)

    msgbox "All OK"

End Sub

---

then use ALT & F11 to switch back to your workbook and create a button -
assign the macro to the button and click it ....it should run through until
there are no duplicates in the 17 cells.

let me know how you go.

--
> Julie,
> I do believe that would help.  Can you give me an example of how to do
> this?
> I can and the macro to a button to recaluclate the cells.
> Thanks,
> David
>
> "JulieD" wrote:
>
>> Hi David
>>
>> this could be difficult, as any code that i can envisage running would
>> cause
>> the sheet to recalculate - which means that it would change all of the 17
>> names not just the duplicated ones (that's if all 17 of them are
>> populated
>> by a formula in the cell) .. a solution, therefore (from my knowledge
>> base
>> anyway) would be a macro that keeps running until all 17 locations have
>> unique names in them, would that be an option .. however, basically,
>> apart
>> from the fact you have to check all 17 manually, you could achieve the
>> same
>> by pressing the F9 key ......... so, do you think a macro like this would
>> be
>> useful?
>> --
>> Cheers
>> JulieD
>> check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm
>> ....well i'm working on it anyway
>> "David L" <DavidL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Julie,
>> > You are right about the duplicate names.  Actually, I have several list
>> > pick from.  I have a front page.  It has 17 different locations I need
>> > names
>> > to go into.  Each list I randomly pick from has its own catogory.  The
>> > different catogories contain some of the same names.  I need to pick a
>> > random
>> > name from each catogory and not have them duplicate the same name
>> > within
>> > the
>> > 17 locations.  If there is a vba code that can be written, I would
>> > appericate
>> > the help and instructions own how to use the code within the worksheet.
>> >
>> > Thanks again,
>> > David L

0
JulieD1 (2295)
4/13/2005 4:48:43 PM
Hi David

did you delete & recreate "myrng" every time you tested a different number
of cells?

--
> [...]
> myvals(17)
> As String and the macro runs and works and it takes less than 30 seconds.
> With the 20 cells I just had to cancel the macro after it had been running
> for 15 minutes.  I was wondering if there is something else I need to
> change
> to make it run faster.
>
> Thanks,
> David L
>
> "JulieD" wrote:
>
>> Hi David
>>
>> okay here it is
>>
>> first, select your 17 cells (use the control key to get them) and then
>> click
>> in the name box (little box to left of formula bar) and type
>> myrng
>> and press ENTER
>>
>> then, right mouse click on a sheet tab and choose view code
>> in the VBE Window choose insert / module
>> on the right hand side of the screen copy & paste this
>> ---
>>
>> Sub eliminatedups()
>>

>>     Dim Temp As Variant
>>     Dim i As Integer
>>     Dim NoExchanges As Integer
>>     Dim myvals(16) As String
>>
>> here:
>>     Calculate
>>     i = 0
>>     For Each c In Range("myrng")
>>         myvals(i) = c.Value
>>         i = i + 1
>>     Next
>>
>>     ' Loop until no more "exchanges" are made.
>>     Do
>>         NoExchanges = True
>>
>>         ' Loop through each element in the array.
>>         For i = 0 To UBound(myvals) - 1
>>             ' If the element is greater than the element
>>             ' following it, exchange the two elements.
>>             If myvals(i) > myvals(i + 1) Then
>>                 NoExchanges = False
>>                 Temp = myvals(i)
>>                 myvals(i) = myvals(i + 1)
>>                 myvals(i + 1) = Temp
>>             ElseIf myvals(i) = myvals(i + 1) Then 'added GD
>>                 GoTo here
>>             End If
>>         Next i
>>     Loop While Not (NoExchanges)
>>
>>     msgbox "All OK"
>>
>> End Sub
>>
>> ---
>>
>> then use ALT & F11 to switch back to your workbook and create a button -
>> assign the macro to the button and click it ....it should run through
>> until
>> there are no duplicates in the 17 cells.
>>
>> let me know how you go.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> JulieD
>> check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm
>> ....well i'm working on it anyway
>> "David L" <DavidL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Julie,
>> > I do believe that would help.  Can you give me an example of how to do
>> > this?
>> > I can and the macro to a button to recaluclate the cells.

0
JulieD1 (2295)
4/14/2005 3:39:57 PM
Hi David

you did the right thing by changing the Dim myvals(x) As String and by
deleting and recreating the myrng range name before running it for a
different number of cells ... but ...

the way the code works is that it checks the 20 (or whatever cells) and if
it finds a duplicate it recalcs all the cells and checks them again ... so
unfortunately it seems that it is taking a long time to generate 20 cells
without duplication.

I can't think of any way of speeding it up ... unless you only include in
the myrng range name those fields where duplications are possible, rather
than all 20 (if this is an option), then it will have less values to check
and compare.

if this doesn't work, then AFAIK the sitauation needs to be approach
differently but i'm not sure how.

--
> Julie,
>    I redefined the myrng range to the number of cells I was trying.  When
> redefined the range and changed the number I worked, but when I went to 20
> cells in the myrng range and changed the number to 19 that is when it is
> taking so long.
>
> Thanks,
> David L
>
> "JulieD" wrote:
>
>> Hi David
>>
>> did you delete & recreate "myrng" every time you tested a different
>> number
>> of cells?
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> JulieD
>> check out www.hcts.net.au/tipsandtricks.htm
>> ....well i'm working on it anyway
>> "David L" <DavidL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Julie,
>> >
>> > Thank you for your help.  I had told you wrong about the number of
>> > cells I
>> > have to check for duplicates.  Instead of 17 there are 20.  I change
>> > the
>> > macro to read Dim myvals(19) As String.  I am not sure if this is
>> > right.
>> > can change the range to have 18 cells and change the macro to Dim
>> > myvals(17)
>> > As String and the macro runs and works and it takes less than 30
>> > seconds.
>> > With the 20 cells I just had to cancel the macro after it had been
>> > running
>> > for 15 minutes.  I was wondering if there is something else I need to
>> > change
>> > to make it run faster.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > David L

0
JulieD1 (2295)
4/14/2005 4:07:12 PM
noteing your answer. Is there a way to copy or save results of formula to
another location and clear the results in the active workbook? Also need to
retain formulas in active. Would formulas need to be reinserted by code?
Thanks
cagreer@att.net
Curt

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> David
>
> Formulas can return results but not "move" contents to other cells.
>
> You would require a formula in J5 to show the results of G5.
>
> Moving cell contents can be done through VBA code.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:37:02 -0700, "David L"
> <DavidL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Is there a way to move a cell contents to another cell with a formula.  ex:
> >if a5="Name" then move g5 to j5?  Also, I am using
> >=INDEX(Sheet1!B3:B12,INT((RAND()*10)+1),1) to pick random names from a list.
> >I have the formula in different place pick random names from different list.
> >This does work, but I have different list with some of the same names and
> >with the random pick I do not want the same name to appear.

0
Curt (33)
11/24/2005 7:48:02 PM
Curt

You can copy the results of formulas from a sheet to another sheet within the
same workbook or to another workbook and paste special as values.

Hit CTRL + a to select all cells.

F5>Special>Formulas>OK

With those cells cells selected hit Edit>Copy then Paste Special>Values to
wherever you want.

To retain formulas in source worksheet CTRL + a to select all cells then hit
F5>Special>Constants.  Check which Constants to delete and OK

With those selected cells Edit>Clear Contents.

Formulas will remain ready for input of new data where the constants were
deleted.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP