Merging Workbooks

HELP !!I have two large but seperate workbooks (2000 rows
each) that both have two common columns that contains the
same misc numbers and text (such as premise number and
street name).  Other columns contain differenct data, such
as name, or community in one workbook and date of hire and
salary in the other workbook. I want to blend the two
workbooks into one workbook combining the common data and
then adding the remaining columns so that I end up with a
single row that I could sort by premise number and or
street name, but can't find a solution within "help"
0
anonymous (74722)

I'd create a third worksheet.

Copy the key values from both worksheets into a giant list.
Use Data|filter|Advanced Filter to extract the unique entries
Debra Dalgleish has notes at:
http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#FilterUR

Then use a bunch of =vlookup()'s to return the individual fields from the
original workbooks.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Merge cells in two columns
Hi I have a worksheet with 300 rows Is it possible to merge 2 adjacent columns in one or two steps without having to do each one individually I've just learnt how to merge 2 adjacent cells to include all data in the range in the merged cell column C has the word 'dist' in ever row column D has numbers from 1 to 14 in random order using Excel 2000 Martin ���� >>Is it possible to merge 2 adjacent columns in one or two steps without having to do each one individually Easy, but you have to use a menu choice not shown on the menus by default. Do a View, Toolbars, Custom...

CRT, VCRT, MFC merge modules not updated with VS2003 SP1.
Merge modules are not updated by the VS2003SP1 installer. Where can I get new msm files with updated components?-- Thanks, Stefan Hi Stefan, I have checked those msm files after applying the VS2003 SP1, their contained DLL files have already been updated to the 7.10.6030.0 version ones. If this is not the case in your machine, I suggest you run that VS2003 SP1package under the admin account. Thanks! Best regards, Gary Chang Microsoft Online Community Support ================================================== Get notification to my posts through email? Please refer to http://msdn.m...

Adding the contents of cells from other workbooks
Dear All I am trying to develop a tour sheet which has values in given cells. I have created a master tour sheet in another workbook so that when you input numbers on the original worksheet they transfer overto the master workbook. I want to be able to transfer data to the master workbook from multiple, separate worksheets/books (other people will have copies of the worksheet and fil it in.) This is where i am struggling is how can i get the data to add when other sheets are filed in as at the moment it just replaces the original data in the master copy instead of adding to it. Hope i have e...

Shared 2007 Workbook, 3MB, 15 users, locks up after 2-3 hours of u
I) Scenario: A 3Mb Excel 2007 workbook with a single tab sheet is shared between 10 to 15 users who make changes to unprotected cells only and save regularly after every change is made. Each user makes about 100 to 200 saved changed over an 8 hour shift and a time span of 2-3 weeks. Networked PCs have 2GB RAM with users accessing 3 to 5 other programs besides Excel (Outlook, Acrobat, LPS, Company Intranet site, Internet sites,...) II) Issue/symptoms: a. everything works smoothly for 1 hour or 2, then some users start to get the message that the sheet is locked and they need t...

merging a value in a text field with each line in a memo field
I am trying to merge a value in a text field with the information in a memo field using a query to create a report. This is the query I am using: SELECT AVRelay+","+IPRange FROM T_Sites AVRelay is the text field and IPRange is the Memo. IPRange has multiple lines, each of which I need appended with the value in AVRelay for the report. It should look like. 2,192.168.1.0/24 2,192.168.0.0/24 2,192.168.2.0/24 Instead it looks like 2,192.168.1.0/24 192.168.0.0/24 192.168.2.0/24 I have searched far and wide but has come up empty. Please help! I would gues...

reference data of other workbook
When I write a formula, I reference data of other sheets using sheetname!rowcolumn. How could I reference data in other workbook. Is it workbookname!sheetname!rowcolumn or something like this? My appreciation for your answer. bingy@sina.com Hi With other workbook opened: =[OtherWorkbook.xls]SheetName!A1 With other workbook closed: ='C:\My Documents\[OtherWorkbook.xls]SheetName'!A1 or ='\\ComputerName\SharedFolder\SubFolder1\...\[OtherWorkbook.xls]SheetName'!A 1 When you create a link with opened source workbook, and then close source workbook, the reference is adjusted ...

Removing Corrupt styles in an excel workbook
Hello, How can I remove corrupt styles from an Excel 2000 workbook ? I've tried deleteing through the menus - but that doesn't work, and I've tried through VBA, but that fails with an error for the styles that are corrupt. (Delete method of style class failed) e.g. for i=1 to activeworkbook.styles.count:debug.print activeworkbook.styles.item(i).name:activeworkbook.styles.item(i).delete:next i Inspecting the names of the styles that are failing to delete displays a couple of non-printable characters show as squares, or Yen symbols. Any idea how to obliterate these styles ...

merging files
there is a folder containing 400 excel files which are on same pattern. I want to merge all files in a single new excel file. Hi Maaz See http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm Or one of the other examples on my site -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Maaz" <Maaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78BD6D53-6DD7-4FDA-B812-98FA5073C243@microsoft.com... > there is a folder containing 400 excel files which are on same pattern. I > want to merge all files in a single new excel file. i am new user i didnt know about amcros would ple...

Mail Merge 12-16-09
Can I do a Mail Merge message from Outlook? With Outlook, sure. But not with Windows Mail (the subject of this newsgroup). "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E224B24C-5D6E-416C-9146-E02EFFD8544B@microsoft.com... > Can I do a Mail Merge message from Outlook? ...

Merge duplicate accounts warning
Be VERY careful if you even LOOK at the 'Merge Duplicate Accounts' page. If you go to the 'Merge Duplicate Accounts' page, the focus is on the first drop-down box in the list. If you then scroll down the page with your mouse wheel, you might not notice that the first drop-down list has scroll from the 'Make a selection' (or whatever prompt) to some valid account in the list. When it gets to the bottom of the list, the page scrolls, taking that focused list out of site. You may then pick another drop-down list and make an intentional choice to merge a different ac...

Reinstalled Office 07: Now can't do merge to email
Hi guys, every Friday I send out a message to about 100 emails. This week I had to reinstall Vista and Office 07 and now I can't get emails to go out. The merge happens in that I can see the names being filled in but basically the messages don't get sent. They are not appearing in my outbox or sent mail. I'm on an Exchange server, but that's not new. Grateful for advice so I can get this message out urgently. Thanks in advance Jo On Jul 24, 1:48=A0pm, Boppy <therealbo...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi guys, every Friday I send out a message to about 100 emails. This > ...

Search within workbook
Hi all, I am newbie with excel. Situation follows. I have a workbook with two sheets, each sheet has around 6000 rows(part number) and 6 columns (various prices for coresponding par number). This is a price list imported from Access. 1. I need to protect workbook(read only) for distribution and provid search option for entire workbook. (i.e. search for part number and result should be entire ro highlighted for that part) With ctrl-f default option is search "within a sheet" and I nee "within a workbook"as a default. 2. Should (and how) I create third sheet for search op...

Finding Macros In Workbooks
Is there a wasy to find all Excel workbooks in a folder that have a macro in them. If so, how? Thanks, John ...

Print merge stops after 10 pages in Pub2003
I am trying to do some very large merges in Publisher, and queue the result to Adobe PDF. (and yes, I need Publisher for aspect of the document rather than Word.) When I use "print merge" it prints rapidly, but only prints 10 pages to the named file, and then prompts for a different file for each 10 pages. I can repeat the behavior on Windows XP Pro, Windows XP Media Ctr and on a Windows 2003 server. I can do a mail/catalog merge to another Publisher file, and then print it to Adobe PDF, but it takes FOREVER to print to PDF. WHY does print merge quit after 10 sheets? Ther...

Merge 2 xml file

how do you change the print merge batch size from 10 records?
How can I change the default output of 10 printed records to say 500? Chris Bartlett <ChrisBartlett@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How can I change the default output of 10 printed records to say 500? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;891904 has details of how to change the batch size to 1 for stapling/collating purposes. If you follow the instructions, but use a value of 500 instead of 1, then you will get 500 records per batch. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Headers on a Shared Workbook
We have a shared workbook on a network which is being accessed by two users. The workbook is not saved on either of the two computers who are accessing it. All of the changes that are being made in the workbook are being saved correctly so that each of the users sees the same changes. However, when one user changed and saved the header (file, page setup, header/footer tab) it did not show up on the other users computer. The header that was used prior to the save showed up. When both users open the file at the same time, they see different headers. How can one Excel file have two differe...

Can I edit headers/footers for an entire workbook?
Currently I am selecting each page in the workbook and editing each one -- there must be a faster way! Of course there is! :) Select each sheet (tab) while holding the Ctrl key. Once you have your array of worksheets selected, goto File | Page Setup | Headers and Footers ... you know how to do it. From there, after you Ok out of that, just right-click any selected sheet and click Ungroup Sheets. HTH -- Regards, Zack Barresse, aka firefytr, (GT = TFS FF Zack) To email, remove the NO SPAM. Please keep correspondence to the board, as to benefit others. "On Line All The Time&q...

how do i merge cells but not rows
would like to merge a title, first, last name, within a row but avoid merging all the rows within a mailing list. For an in-place solution, one way: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/mergedata.html In article <515B0E37-7CFB-4A0D-ADAE-1B2E9D3BF6F7@microsoft.com>, "pvdbijl" <pvdbijl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > would like to merge a title, first, last name, within a row but avoid merging > all the rows within a mailing list. ...

Range name title appearing as background in merged cells
Hi, Cell E11 is a Named Range. When i Merge E11:H11 the text in Cell E11 is centred across the Merged area which is great, however, i can see the Range Name i assigned to E11 also centred across the Merged area. Would anyone know how i can get rid of this please? Thanks John ...

Mail merge to excel
I created an excel spreadsheet and did a mail merge to word. The problem is that I have apparently lost the excel data. Is there a way to convert the mail merged file back to excel? Thank You for the help!! It depends on what the data looks like. If it was a real letter, it could be pretty difficult to pick out the text to save. And this assumes that you have all the merged documents! revans wrote: > > I created an excel spreadsheet and did a mail merge to > word. The problem is that I have apparently lost the > excel data. Is there a way to convert the mail merged > ...

Select Previously Selected worksheet (and/or select previously selected workbook)
Is anyone aware of VBA code that would allow me to auto-select the previously active worksheet (within a particular workbook....or within another open workbook)? In essence, I am trying to build a routine that will allow me to automatically do a vlookup between two data lists in two sheets with a single step, rather than go through the process of specifying the particular columns Thanks for any suggestions. ...

merging excel document
Excel Document has date 8/05/1953 when merged into Publisher it is 5/08/1953. How do I get it to stay 8/05/1953 when merged? Format the field text. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Shirl" <Shirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05AFD28C-BF06-4308-AAA9-CE38275CFC05@microsoft.com... > Excel Document has date 8/05/1953 when merged into Publisher it is 5/08/1953. > How do I get it to stay 8/05/1953 when merged? Have Formated Date column in Excel. Seems to change in Mail Catalog M...

Excel workbooks have blank pages and loses data.
I have a windows 2000 machine with office 2000 pro. The problem occurs with a number of spreedsheets (3) on the PC but basically, when you open the spreedsheet, pages that did have data in suddenly turn up blank. The machine appears to be fine. There are no obvious problems. There are no viruses and the disks do not have any issues. Office 2000 has been removed and reinstalled twice with the cleanup utility used inbetween. I've tired it on it's own and service packed with 1, 2 and 3 and it appear to make no difference what so ever. I've run out of ideas. Has anyone seen this behav...

Mail Merge
Hi I'm working with a mail merge that can spit out messages in two languages. I've already got the date formatted properly with \@"dd MMMM yyyy but I'm trying to get the month that it displays to go in french. How do I change that? ...