Merged Cell Check

Hi,

I currently have a series of merged cells which I want to be checked
for population before allowing the user to the send the s/sheet off.
I'm currently using :

For Each Name In Range("mandatory_fields")
If Name.Value = "" Then
etc....

However, say for example i have a merged cell of h12:o12 called
"mandatory_fields".  The macro counts them as individual cells so even
when populated, it can never be validated - wants cell I12 to be
populated etc...

This make sense to anyone?

You can't. Take a good advice and unmerge the cells, you are only make
things difficult
using merged cells. If it is looks you are after you can achieve that with
workarounds.
I have never heard anything good about merging cells. Pertaining your
question, once you merge cells
tall except the leftmost are basically gone so you cannot do anything in
your case with I12

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"mark_hall" <mark_hall.wh4am@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I currently have a series of merged cells which I want to be checked
> for population before allowing the user to the send the s/sheet off.
> I'm currently using :
>
> For Each Name In Range("mandatory_fields")
> If Name.Value = "" Then
> etc....
>
> However, say for example i have a merged cell of h12:o12 called
> "mandatory_fields".  The macro counts them as individual cells so even
> when populated, it can never be validated - wants cell I12 to be
> populated etc...
>
> This make sense to anyone?

terre08 (1112)

TriFold Brochure and Print Merge
I have created a TriFold Brochure in MS Publisher 2003. I am incoporating addresses from an access database using the print merge facility. When I go to print the brochure, it prints out the whole brochure on 2 pieces of paper. My Cannon MP 700 does not print on both sides of the paper on one pass. I have looked and looked and can not figure out a way to print only one side of the brochure. I need to flip the paper over. I could do this prior to adding print merge but now it doesn't seem to let me do this. Thanks! When you select Print, can't you indicate Page 1 of 1 and then ...

Merging text files with excel
Hello All. How can I merge several text files with the same format into one Excel sheet in one go ? I am importing them singly but it would be much better to merge them together before opening. Many thanks for any help ! Maybe you can use some old DOS commands. Shell to a command prompt and issue an old DOS command to concatenate the Text files. Windows start button|Run (or flying windows r as a shortcut!) win98: Command WinXP/NT: CMD Go to that folder: C: (to change to that drive) cd\myfolder1\myfolder2\myfolder3 to change to that folder copy *.txt All.Files Ren All.Files All....

Does Publisher only merge tables and not queries from Access?
When I merge Access data into Publisher, I am only able to select a table. However, of course, the specific grouping of data is in a query. Are there settings to allow the queries to be available for merging into a Publisher document? LT-SA wrote: > When I merge Access data into Publisher, I am only able to select a table. > However, of course, the specific grouping of data is in a query. Are there > settings to allow the queries to be available for merging into a Publisher > document? Not really, to my knowledge. Try a MakeTable query. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publi...

How do I add <next record> field in a mail merge?
(1) Please use the large white space to ask your question. (2) What is it you're trying to do? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CD0EDAB2-9926-4F49-AE99-259BD4731F08@microsoft.com... > Publisher does not support Next Record or other mail merge fields like this. You can use the Catalog Merge in Publisher 2003, or you can get Publisher to tile multiple records on one page (e.g. for business cards) by setting the page size to less than half the paper size in either direction. -- Ed Benn...

SUM of certain cells after Autofilter
Hallo, The following worksheet (as an excerpt of a bigger one) is to be analysed: x x 2 x 1 x 2 2 After Autofilter regarding x in any column the sum of VISIBLE cells with the value 2 should be calculated (e.g. 2 for the first column and 4 for the second one). The function SUBTOTAL seems not to give a proper result considering conditions). Any idea? Regards Bernd Hi Bernd Where are you putting the SUBTOTAL formula? Is it within the range of data and therefore possibly getting confused? Try inserting a row above your first row and putting the formula there. =SUBTOTAL(9,C2:C1000) a...

Spell check unavailable in Putlook Express 6.0
The Spell Check option is greyed out Outlook Express. The OS is XP and machine Dell Inspiron laptop. Does anyone have an idea how to get this installed? I understand the same spell checker also works in MS Office (Word). When I go into Tools and Options Spelling isn't among the options. Any ideas? vlakslee <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > The Spell Check option is greyed out Outlook Express. The > OS is XP and machine Dell Inspiron laptop. Does anyone > have an idea how to get this installed? I understand the > same spell checker also works in M...

Check out these corrective patch
--nkavurxrpm Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="peqyyedikryjy"; type="multipart/alternative" --peqyyedikryjy Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="nvrinnuh" --nvrinnuh Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "November 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to contin...

avg formula and blank cells
What is the proper way when using the AVG function with cells formatted as numbers, to fill a blank cell so it won't make the avg lower, but rather be ignored in the AVG function? Thanks! --Randy Starkey __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4080 (20090515) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com Excel ignores blanks cells when averaging. If you mean ignore cells uncertain a certain value. In Excel 2007, use AverageIf. In earlier versions you need to construct the formula using SumIf ...

Merging Database for award certificates
How can I merge database of names to print to award certificates? Use Mail Merge -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Techy AP" <TechyAP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1BBAAFE-11CE-4F9A-AB72-F3D5F0D8DCDE@microsoft.com... > How can I merge database of names to print to award certificates? --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.774 / Virus Database: 521 - Release Date: 10/7/2004 A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from JoAnn Paules <...

Check email in outbound queue
I have a suspect message waiting delivery. Luckily my Exchange server cant resolve the destination. I froze it in the queue, and I'd like to view the message. It was sent from postmaster(my account I assume). Anyone know how to view it, it's not listed in anyones Outbox or Sent Items Thanks. If you are using Exchange 5.5 then open file in IMCDATA\OUT with notepad. Jim wrote: > I have a suspect message waiting delivery. Luckily my Exchange server cant resolve the destination. I froze it in the queue, and I'd like to view the message. It was sent from postmaster(my account I a...

only average cells w/numbers?
I have a column (L) that my data begins in Row 9 and ends in Row 55. Need to have average of the numbers in those cells (L9-L55). However, some cells contain #VALUE, because information for the row ha not been entered. In L56, I'd like to have the average of only those cells L9-L55 tha contain a number. Thank you. MAG -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi one way: =SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(L9:L55)),L9:L55)/SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(L9:L55) )) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > I have a column (L) that my data begins in Row 9 and ends in Row 55. > Need to h...

limited No. of functions in one cell ?!
i want to have 30 IF functions in one cell but I can only have 9-10 otherwise I get an error message. Thanks for helping! -- andreas prucker ------------------------------------------------------------------------ andreas prucker's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28424 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=480168 Even if you could put 30 IF functions in a formula (you can't, you're limited to 7 levels of parens), the formula would be nearly unreadable and unmaintainable. Most likely, there is a better w...

Dates and Cell Values
How can I get the minimum value from column C for all 8/24/2009 dates in Column A? I tried some index and match functions but still doesn't work. Column A Column B Column C Column D 8/24/2009 12:12:56 AM 113 904 8/24/2009 12:52:56 AM 114 908 8/24/2009 1:32:56 AM 114 907 8/24/2009 2:12:56 AM 112 897 8/24/2009 2:52:56 AM 113 902 8/25/2009 12:13:57 AM 82 654 8/25/2009 12:53:57 AM 81 650 8/25/2009 1:33:57 AM 81 650 8/25/2009 2:13:57 AM 81 650 8/25/2009 2:53:57 AM 81 649 8/25/2009 3:33:57 AM 81 647 8/25/2009 4:13:57 AM 81 646 8/25/2009 4:53:57 AM 81 643 8/...

Drop down list & reference cells...
Three questions: If I create a spreadsheet with two values, say item and time (to complete task), can I set a cell in another spreadsheet, same workbook, to pick from the item column? Now, if that is possible... how can I set it up so that when I pick an item the time cell is updated with the time for the item picked. For example: I select, Daily Checklist, and the field to the right is updated based on the value in the spreadsheet I mentioned above. Make sense...??? Finally, Is it possible display a list of those where are not selected, so I have have a "remaining" items list...

Conditional Format Cell
I have excel 200 and am having issues doing this. I need to create a cell that when empty would be yellow but when its typed in I need it the backgroud to change to white. I tried a conditional format from the menu (IF Cell Value equals "" then yellow).How can I do this? Am I messing something up on the Conditional FOrmat or do I need to try something else. Please Advise. Thanks Hi in the conditional format dialog chosse "Formula" in the listbox. Then enter the following formula (assuming that your taget cell is A1): =A15="" and set the background to yell...

function returning Text to cell
First thanks for taking the time to help a poor soul out. Here is my issue. I have a list of vendor names. The vendor names are some what of an abbreviation of the actual name. I want to write a function that will take in the range of Vendor abbreviations and replace it with the full name. I thought a 'Select Case' would be easiest. I also would like to return the name to the cell itself not another cell. The cell is not turning red either. Here is my code : Function ConvertVenName(Ven As Range) As String Dim xlCalc As XlCalculation Dim savScrnUD As Boolean savS...

automatically advance to next cell without hitting enter or tab
does anyone know of a way to have Excel move automatically to the next cell after entering one digit (without hitting enter every time?) If there is some sort of script or something that anyone is aware of that already exists that I would need, can you please point me to it and tell me how to set it up? Hi AFAIK this is not possible as you can't run macros while in Edit mode -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany corby wrote: > does anyone know of a way to have Excel move automatically to the next > cell after entering one digit (without hitting enter every time?) > > I...

Merge Question When Opening Attachment
Whenever I open a Word attachment from an email, I am prompted with a question. It asks if I would like to merge with the document in the temp directory. Even if I select No and don't ask again, it prompts with every attachment. Is there a setting to turn this off? Clear the temp? Since this is a Word question you're better of in a Word newsgroup. -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Sara" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Delete Direct Deposit Payroll Check
Question from our payroll master: " I need to void one direct deposit entry from payroll and reissue. The ACH file has been created for the whole payroll and the file is waiting to be transmitted to the bank. The ACH build for this file has already been deleted - What is the process?" One person, who has her check direct deposited, didn't have the correct 401K deduction and the payroll master would like to know the procedure to delete this person's information from the ACH file (we know it can't and shouldn't be done manually and that we can call our bank to...

Empty Cell-conditional formatting
I have a column where I enter a date when a document arrives. If it is left blank for more than 7 days I need an alert. I also have a start date in A1 to refer to. It would be 7 days from the start date, I would need the cell red or "ALERT". Thanks! SMack You want something like: =today()>$a$1+7 Color the cell red. Displaying "ALERT" would require a macro. Regards, Fred "smack" <smack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:549FC643-C7D3-483B-A8E5-04521FCD6F59@microsoft.com... >I have a column where I enter a dat...

opening a link in a workbook cell to edit??
I have a cell or cells that have a link to an external file/workbook on my drive. I have changed the path that it was kept in and I know I have the option to update the data when opening the file but I also want to be able to select a specific cell and adjust VIA a window / wizard rather than trying to type in the new link. Can this be done?? Mike Hi Mike, Maybe not exactly what you want, but you can choose Edit, Links and pick the Change Source options. You can also press Ctrl+H and replace the references cell by cell enter the path you are searching for and the new path you want...

can you put a tick into an excel cell?
hi no. you can put a tick on the sheet but not "in" a cell. >-----Original Message----- > >. > Thunderace, in cell A33 enter the formula =CHAR(ROW()) and copy down to row 255 With the range still highlighted, change the font to Wingdings and you will see the full Wingdings character set. Character 252 is a tick sign. You can enter the tick in a cell either by the formula =CHAR(252) with the cell font set to Wingdings or by holding the the Alt key while you enter 0252 from the number pad keys. Also have a look to see the full charater set of the other fonts that y...

times part of cell content
I got a column like this: 11/40 35/10 101/100 250/40 I need to times the number before the / with 2 in each row so I get 22/40 70/10 202/100 500/40 Anyone know how I can do this? Thanks Mike "Mike Mike" <mm@mitechhostREMOVE.com> wrote in message news:1rxVf.96540$Fw6.43301@tornado.tampabay.rr.com... >I got a column like this: > 11/40 > 35/10 > 101/100 > 250/40 > > I need to times the number before the / with 2 in each row so I get > 22/40 > 70/10 > 202/100 > 500/40 > > Anyone know how I can do this? > > Thanks > Mike Mi...

Inserting two cell values into a new cell + text
I am likely making this much more difficult than it needs to be... I need to take the numeric values from two cells and insert them into a new cell in this format: "898 - 1398". Where 898 and 1398 are numeric values generated by a formula and are subject to change. What I have is: =VALUE(A1)&" - "&VALUE(A2) but the result gives me one or more decimal places in each number result which I know is a result of the string concatination process. My question is: How can I rewrite this cell's formula to zero out the decimal entries form the source cells which is h...

Count blanks cells
Hi there, Just wondering if anyone knows of a way to count blank cells on a sheet then place the result in the cell it was counted from. Assumeing it has a result itself. In each cell I have have =IF(COUNTIF(A7:B7:C7:D7:E7:F7, "1")=1,"1"," "). Looking to count how far between common results. for example +-----------+ | 1 | +-----------+ | | +-----------+ | | +-----------+ | | +-----------+ | | +-----------+ | 4 | +-----------+ I have had a look at COUNTBLANK but I don't t...