Merge/Unmerge feature to not functioning

Software - Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) SP1

I previously merged 4 rows in 4 seperate columns into 4 cells. That is, I
created one larger cell comprised of 4 rows in each 1 column, of 4 columns,
using Excel's merge feature. I would like to split the merged cells back into
their original 4 rows but the merge functionality of the Alignment tab of the
Format Cells' dialog box is grayed out. I have searched microsoft help and
found an atlernative method for spliting cells - selecting the cell and using
the Merge and Center button on the formatting toolbar - but it too is grayed
out. I am not sure what I have done that would have caused this functionality
to be restricted. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks
0
teepeeusa (1)

If the worksheet is protected or the workbook is shared you'd see this.

--
Jim
"teepeeusa" <teepeeusa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Software - Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) SP1
|
| I previously merged 4 rows in 4 seperate columns into 4 cells. That is, I
| created one larger cell comprised of 4 rows in each 1 column, of 4
columns,
| using Excel's merge feature. I would like to split the merged cells back
into
| their original 4 rows but the merge functionality of the Alignment tab of
the
| Format Cells' dialog box is grayed out. I have searched microsoft help and
| found an atlernative method for spliting cells - selecting the cell and
using
| the Merge and Center button on the formatting toolbar - but it too is
grayed
| out. I am not sure what I have done that would have caused this
functionality
| to be restricted. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

0
jrrech (1932)

Mail Merge and Labels
OK. I've read the posts but don't seem to find an answer for my problem. I have created a Publisher file and set it up to run an Avery 5163 label. I get a single lable to work with and that's fine. I want use the mail merge feature to merge in data from my Access Database. While I'm creating the label, I don't use the mail merge feature (haven't even yet added the data source). I just want to see how it looks and feels. So I put a dummy name (Jane Doe) on the label. When I publish to Adobe .pdf (which is how I'm going to distribute the labels), I get a f...

Time functions #2
Hi, I have to do some time calculations and I have a formula that outputs in minutes and I have to subtract a standard time to this number of minutes. For example, I have 8:00 AM in one cell and 20.68 minutes on an other cell. The output that I am expecting is 7:39 AM. Does anybody know how to bring an output like that by subtracting the minutes? Please help. Thanks With 8:00 AM in A1 and 20.68 in B1, use this formula =A1-B1/(24*60) Why does it work? Because Excel stores time as a fraction of a day. We convert minutes to days by dividing by 24*60 (24 hr/day and 60 min/hr) You could just u...

Design for future merging
I've created a small but somewhat complex relational database that uses autonumber fields in higher level tables as primary keys to link with foreign keys in lower level tables. At this point I have up to 5 levels of tables. I'd like to copy this database for use at 4 other remote sites, with the ultimate intention of merging all 5 back together after a few months of data entry. I've read quite a bit about how to merge databases that weren't originally designed with future merges in mind, and this ends up being quite complex with so many levels and autonumber-dependent t...

Adding functionality to MS Outlook Express
Hi, I am looking for help to integrate anti-spam open source programs with MS Outlook Express :- - SpamPal - http://www.spampal.org/ - Spamato - http://www.spamato.net/ The problem is to provide a library that will facilitate this. I have read the MSDN Messaging and Collaboration documentation which gives the ability to get notifications of new messages and to access message folders :- http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms709546.aspx The next need is to add a toolbar (with buttons for SPAM/NOSPAM) and to detect what messages are selected in the message window. The MSOE...

Inserted rows, now need Counta function
Hi I've got a data dump. I've figured out how to insert a blank row after a change in name in column A and insert "Total" - so... bill.... bill.... bill Total - bob.... bob.... bob.... bob Total - What I need in column C next to total is to insert the COUNTA function for each person. Any ideas? cheers You say your code inserts a blank row after a change in name and inserts "Total", but your example doesn't show this. Can you post the code you are using to do your "insert"? It will probably be easier to handle the ...

Outlook 2000 Merging to Email
When I use Word and Outlook 2000 to merge to email. It will merge but it will not put the messages in my outbox so that I can send them. I have tried everything. The contacts are there the merged letter is there, I just can't get it to actually send the emails. Help! Thanks ...

If Function Possibilities
Is there a way to set up in a cell A1, something like... If the formula used in cell B1 is "here I would type the actual formula in," then display the words "works," else display "mistake" ? -- rheller ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rheller's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24081 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377045 That's a pretty cryptic post. Do you mean: In A1: =IF(B1=n,"Works","Mistake") where 'n...

Writing Access functions
I am an old FoxPro programmer (but have been out of programming for many years) and I have been through the Access basics that I have been able to find on line. So I can create tables, forms enter data the basics. I am learning VBA no problem there. Now I want to write some functions. I would like to write one function that is passed an ID and returns the last name of the person having that ID. I would like to write this function in two ways: 1. Connect to a table in my DB find the ID and return the name 2. Have the function perform a query that returns a record set from which t...

reading file name from folder function
I am using Access 97. Just wonder if there is a fuction which can read all the file name from a folder and put it to a column in a table. Please let me know. Thanks. Hi. >I am using Access 97. Just wonder if there is a fuction which can read all >the file name from a folder and put it to a column in a table. Please see the getFileInfo( ) function in the tip, "How to compare the contents of two directories," on the following Web page for an example: http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/vba1.html HTH. Gunny See http://www.QBuilt.com for all your database needs. See http...

Function Keys in Excel
Can someone please tell me what the F2 key does in Excel 2000? I have a column of data which has been copied from Access 2000 into an Excel 2000 sheet. It is numeric data and when I use the "Countif" function on this data, it doesn't calculate. However, if I press the "F2" function key in any of the cells, something happens to the data so that the "countif" function recoginises it. Can anyone explain what is happening here? Thank you. -- LPS F2 allows you to edit directly in the cell, do you have calculations set to automatic under tools>calcul...

faq: type of CArray as function parameter create errors
Hi, class CMyPoint { public: long x; long y; CArray<int,int&> m_intSegmentNo; CMyPoint(); virtual ~CMyPoint(); CMyPoint(const long &xx, const long &yy); CMyPoint(const CMyPoint &cmpt); CMyPoint(const CPoint &cpt); CMyPoint& operator = (const CMyPoint &assmypt); CMyPoint& operator = (const CPoint &asspt); bool operator == (const CMyPoint &rmypt);//const CMyPoint &lmypt, bool operator != (const CMyPoint &rmypt);//const CMyPoint &lmypt, }; .... class CSegment { public: CList<CMyPoint,CMyPoint&> m_PointList; CSeg...

Function for convertion of leters doesn't work.
I'm using function LOWER to convert string i my table on small size but Access gives me a message that the function is not defined.Please, do you know another function? MS Access does not have a LOWER function. Try LCase() instead. -- Cheryl Fischer Law/Sys Associates Houston, TX "Stenli" <svet2000@seznam.cz> wrote in message news:10b201c3626e$b613a050$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I'm using function LOWER to convert string i my table on > small size but Access gives me a message that the function > is not defined.Please, do you know another function? ...

Report Writer Functions #2
Where can I find instructions and examples on the various report writer functions? I've installed the SDK but I don't see anything there. The Report Writer On-line manual (Help - Printable Manuals - Reporting - Report Writer) has a fairly good description of the functions in Chapter 6. Do you look there or is there a specific function that you did not find there for which you are searching? "Elaine" wrote: > Where can I find instructions and examples on the various report writer > functions? I've installed the SDK but I don't see anything there. Hi El...

Public Function not running
Hey, I have a public function that I call from a cell. The function is: Public Function QuitTime(strQuitTime As String) As Date Dim strHour, strMin As String Dim intHour, intMin As Integer Dim dtTime As Date strHour = Left(strQuitTime, 2) strMin = Right(strQuitTime, 2) dtTime = strHour & ":" & strMin dtTime = dtTime + Range("MainSheet!B2") ' this cell contains the value today() QuitTime = dtTime End Function Anyway, I run a vlookup on this array from another sheet and when ever i run that vlookup, it makes all the cells in th...

Question on "Value" function
In trying to use Excel to help solve a mathematical puzzle, I would like to calculate the result of applying the mathematical operator in one cell to the numbers in two other cells. Example: A1 contains 2, B1 contains +, C1 contains 3. In D1, create a formula that will give the result of 2 + 3, i.e. 5. I have tried (among many other attempts) =VALUE(CONCATENATE(A1, B1, C1)), but it gives me a #VALUE! error. What am I missing? Hi this is not possible without using VBA. try the following UDF: Public Function my_calculate(op1 As Range, operand As Range, op2 As Range) my_calculate = Ap...

Help with Document Merging
I am not even sure if this is possible....so I will give you some background to help you understand what I need... Thanks in advance for any help you can provide... I work for a staffing firm and we use various questionnaires to collect information about our candidates. Each questionnaire is targeted to a specific type of candidate, i.e. a questionnaire for accounting candidates versus a questionnaire for an HR candidate or an IT candidate. Each questionnaire has a set of questions that is specific for that job type, but each questionnaire also has a set of general question...

Can I merge a list of email addresses from exel into outlook?
w/out having to enter each on separately, can I merge the email addresses into a group? Hi MDuda See this page http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/importcontacts.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "MDuda" <MDuda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B58DEF30-7EEA-4244-BBED-C1851156DF6C@microsoft.com... > w/out having to enter each on separately, can I merge the email addresses > into a group? ...

Mail Merge 03-12-10
I have a log that has multiple lines with the same individual that I am trying to merge into one page per individual in word, I have to do a more advanced mail merge. Assuming you are using Word for the mailmerge and Excel for the source see these sites for help. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:33:01 -0800, Brooke <Brooke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a...

Address book security feature...
I have Office 2002 Pro running on Windows XP. I have recently updated my Office package with all available updates and have noticed a new, annoying feature. Everytime I compose an e-mail I get the dialog box that states "A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?". Is this a normal part of the security update, and if so, is there any way I can disable it? Thanks in advance, Ian Ian Francis <webmaster@teamcomtech.com> wrote: > I have Office 2002 Pro running on Windows XP. I have recently > updated my Off...

Missing engineering functions
In an earlier version of Excel, I had "engineering functions" like =dec2hex and =hex2dec. Not, in Excel 2003, I see them in the "help files' but not in my list of available formulas. How do I get them to work in Excel 2003? Thanks in advance, Geoff Waters Glendale, CA Geoff, I don't have Excel 2003, but you should be able to go to Tools | Add-ins and check mark "Analysis Took Pak" in the list that appears. Regards, Jim Cone San Francisco, CA "Geoff" <grw888@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:zwfIc.299$Qu5.238@newsread2.news.pas.earthli...

Read Receipt Function in outlook
The read receipt option is no longer working in Outlook Small Business Edition for XP 2002. I have not made any recent changes to my outlook setup. Does anyone know how I can trouble shoot this? ...

Outlook today function
When I click on the customize outlook today button nothing happens. What should I do. OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 You can edit the registry to make changes to Outlook Today. http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/oltoday.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://ww...

apply function to multiple cells
Hi, So I want to write a function which divides every value in column A b the corresponding value in column B and I don't feel like monkey typin the formula in every cell. How can I apply this formula to all cells? I want column C to look like this. Do I need to write a loop o smthing? A1/B1 A2/B2 A3/B3 Thank -- MrXX ----------------------------------------------------------------------- MrXXX's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3124 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=50916 In cell C1 enter the formula: =A1/...

Request for Microsoft reply: Default start page feature missing??
When you go Tools > Options > General Tab, there is no section to change the defual start page. When using the help function within the box "Set Personal Options Form" the very first help topic is "Set start page and view options" this clearly talks about a Default Pane. I was first alerted to the supposed availability of this feature in the book "Working with Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 by Mike Snyder Page 193. Does anyone else get this section in the General tab? Is it a bug in my installation? Did Microsoft leave it out? ---------------- This po...

Auto delete stopped functioning in Outlook 2000
Hi, I have a single install on a user PC which although the option to auto empty the waste bin is checked it is not deleting or even asking whether she is sure she wants to delete. Advice appreciated, Sam ...