Merge file pairs

I have several hundreds of pairs of files (file1 in one subfolder i
paired to file1 in second subfolder) where I need to open the pair
copy arange (columns a to e) from one file to the other, then save an
close the files. Then loop on to the next pair in the list. Has anyon
done this? Can you point me to examples? I've looked at several we
sites (debruin, for ex.) but cannot find exactly what I need. Al
suggestions welcome

--
rroac
rroach's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2109

Hi  Rob,

See response(s) to you post in Programming.

---
Regards,
Norman

"rroach" <rroach.1ql52d_1118700303.751@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:rroach.1ql52d_1118700303.751@excelforum-nospam.com...

> I have several hundreds of pairs of files (file1 in one subfolder is
> paired to file1 in second subfolder) where I need to open the pair,
> copy arange (columns a to e) from one file to the other, then save and
> close the files. Then loop on to the next pair in the list. Has anyone
> done this? Can you point me to examples? I've looked at several web
> sites (debruin, for ex.) but cannot find exactly what I need. All
> suggestions welcome.
>

> --
> rroach
> rroach's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21093
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=378686

0
normanjones (1047)

Workaround for Opening Word 6 Files (other than File>Open)?
Hi all, I know in Word 2008 I can open my Word 6 files using File>Open. This works fine but annoys the heck out of me. MS has made a "security" choice here that is about *their* security from possible lawsuits, not *my* security from possible phishers. Sheesh, I am trying to look at my dissertation; no one has embedded dangerous code in it! So, my question is: Is there a workaround for this? Ideally there'd be a preference to turn off this "feature," but I'm sure there isn't one. Alternately, perhaps a way to batch change the document type on o...

Mail merge file sizes
Can anybody help me. I have produced a 2 page document in Publisher 2003 and when I add mail merge to it with a database of 500 addresses, when it generates I get the following problems; 1. It takes ages to generate (the green progress bar moves very slowly across the screen as it applies the address to each document 2. The file sizes are at least 300mb for each 10 that it generates (the original file size is less than 2 mb) Any help would be appreciated. This will help The Registry Fix for changing the Mail Merge Batch Size Courtesy of KATMA http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/r...

missing files necessary for Chinese translation
I am using a Hong Kong version of Office 2007 Professional that enables translation between traditional and simplified Chinese. Lately, I have encoutered problem with the error message of "Word cannot proceed as more than one file necessary for TC/SC translation is missing". I have tried reloading the software, but to no avail. Any advice from experienced users would be much appreicated. ...

Combining 2 Publisher Files Into 1
Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Phil. Open one file, then run Publisher again open the second file. Both files are open. Add the pages you need to add the pages from the file you want to combine. Copy, paste from one file to the other. Save, you're done. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:185901c49c1d$60824030$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. > > Phil. Phil wrote: > Is this possible? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. &...

mysterious backup files?
I have a shared 2002 workbook set to capture change history (when file is saved) that seems to be creating backup files. An example of a file name is D1342500 with no extension, type of file is "type". These files open in excel and look like replications of the master workbook. This is a fairly new and recent but undesirable behaviour, as we are rapidly creating multiple 1.3 MB files on the network. Can anyone tell me what is causing this? Thanks. When xl2003 and older saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8 characters--no extension) in the same folder. ...

can i recover unsaved ppt file after crash?
am i SOL or is there hope? thanks mark goodtoimes, Yes there's hope. Powerpoint newsgroup! Immanuel Sibero "goodtoimes" <goodtoimes@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eXq9wP9BFHA.1408@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > am i SOL or is there hope? > > thanks > mark > > ...

Error printing report: "specified path for the output file does
Hi - I'm trying to print a Payable Distribution History report but get the error "specified path for the output file does not exist". It does not happen with other reports. Any help to fix this error would greatly appreciated. thanks Oumar hi Oumar, go check the Report Destination screen and make sure that there is no path listed in the field where you can enter one. It would be in the File checkbox. If it is grayed out, mark the File option, delete the path and then unmark the File box. Should you want to save it to a file, then select a valid path. Hop...

File error: data may have been lost.
What could be the cause for system to pop up such message when opening an Excel spreadsheet in Japanese. The spreadhseet is created using Excel 2002 in Win XP Japanese. Hi (konichiwa), if you cannot open the file, try this: open a new workbook. Insert > Object > Create From file> >browse to file then okay. This creates a picture linkt othat file. Click it and see what happens. It worked for me when file became unopenable. - Mark - mark >-----Original Message----- >What could be the cause for system to pop up such message when opening an >Excel spreadshee...

csv file will not open
Hi, we are exporting (save as) report data to csv on a Novell network. when Excel 2003 sp1 attempts to open the csv file, we get a message that the file is read only. the file does not open. we can export the data to csv on the local computer and open it in excel just fine. we can open the csv file that has been created on the network drive using notepad, word and access. Your help is greatly appreciated. Scott ...

OE6 -- Reducing DBX File Size?
Hi Folks, My in-box folder was getting too large, so I deleted about 3/4 of the = emails but still the DBX folder shows the same size - 200MB. I tried to = compress it and it says there is not enough hard drive space (I have 900 = MB of empty space).=20 Any idea how to reduce the size of the inbox? Thanks in advance! Bob Guv Bob wrote: > Hi Folks, > > My in-box folder was getting too large, so I deleted about 3/4 of the emails but still the DBX folder shows the same size - 200MB. I tried to compress it and it says there is not enough hard drive space (I have...

Make (save) a file by using macro recorder.
Hi all, I am new to macro and using macro recoder to create macro. On one file which I recieve every week from material department. I need to reformat and create pivot table. I use macro recorder and everything is working good. However I need that when my recorded macro end it create a file with the same name with the date and time it was create. I need every week a new file and I dont want to replace the one. Please let me know how I can create a new file with the date and time everyweek when I run my macro. Thanks -- Farhan Hi Farhan This should do it, just insert you...

Money 98 Delete symbols from obsolete symbols file
My obsolete symbols ,txt has over 250 symbols so when I go on line to update stock market prices I have to uncheck several manually on the pop=up window which says it can't search for over 250 symbols. I can not figure out how to empty or permanently eliminate uneeded symbols from this file. Anybody got any ideas? Howard In microsoft.public.money, Howard wrote: >My obsolete symbols ,txt has over 250 symbols so when I go >on line to update stock market prices I have to uncheck >several manually on the pop=up window which says it can't >search for over 250 symbol...

Merging folders in WLM
In OE and Windows Mail all messages went into the Inbox, no matter how many email addresses I had. In WLM they all go into separate folders. I'd like to have things back the way they were. How can I do this? Thanks Sorry, that's the way Windows Live Mail works. You can simulate the older mail client behavior by collapsing all the accounts to one line each, then do all your viewing via Quick View folders, which can be customized quite a bit. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "RobJenk" <...

Stencil file size
We have created stencils from Autocad files from some suppliers. They are nice looking but are very slow when trying edit them in any way. Is there a way to easily modify the Autocad files to simplify them without removing detail to decrease the files size associated with the stencils? Are there attirbutes or underlying details that can be deleted? Hello Peter, A few questions for you: When you say stencils, do you mean you've actually created .vss files rather than straight diagrams (.vsd)? How many Masters does your stencil contain and what is the size of the file? Also, wha...

Web link to Excel file
I'm trying to link to an Excel 97 file from a ColdFusion web page. The first time I click the link, the file opens fine in the browser (I.E. 5.5). If I close the file and click the link again, I get a message stating 'filename.xls is currently being modified by "my user name here". Open as read only?'. I can still open the file as read only, but am wondering why I get this message, because I'm not making any modifications. I've had other people try this link, and they get the same thing, except it tells them that they're the one modifying the fi...

Insert file name in Excel
I want to insert the file name into a cel of my Excel Worksheet. I need this for document management issues with Microsoft Business Soltutions Axapta. I work with Microsoft Office Excel 2003. =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1)) +1,FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))-FIND("[",CELL ("filename",A1))-1) HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I want to insert the file name into a cel of my Excel Worksheet. >I need this for document management issues with Microsoft Business >Soltutions ...

Access Database Files Are Blocked
After downloaded a security patch I can no longer receive Access database file as attachements (MDB Files). Does anyone know a workaround? Jack Depends on the version and Service Patch but check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm "Jack Henslee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:117e901c3f4be$6e950790$a501280a@phx.gbl... > After downloaded a security patch I can no longer receive > Access database file as attachements (MDB Files). Does > anyone know a workaround? > > Jack ...

How Do I Share Data Files?
I need to deploy an application which shares data among all users of a computer. I thought I could do that by putting the data file in the Common Application Data folder. However, that doesn't work because Vista is using virtualization to make a unique copy of the file for each user, so it isn't being shared. How do I deploy an application with shared data? Is there a document anywhere that describes the best practices for folder usage in Vista? -TC ...

unable to open password protected PST file...
I have password protected a private PST file. When I open Outlook 2002 and click on the PST file - it asks for my password. If I just click cancel there - I see no way to open that file again unless I quit Outlook and come back in. When I click on the PST file, I would have thought it would have asked for the password again, but it gives a different error and no where can you specify the password... Any ideas? Thanks, Brad Can you clarify why you are clicking on Cancel the first time Outlook prompts for your password? Normally, one would just enter the pw at the prompt and your'...

Attached file problem
Outlook 2003 refuses to open an attachment sent to me with the name Confirmation.rtf giving out the message: "Cannot create file: Confirmation.rtf. Right click the folder you want to create the file in and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder." However if the same file is sent with a different name (say confirm.rtf) then Outlook is quite happy to open it! I have hundreds of emails in my Sent Items folder each with an attachment called Confirmation.rtf - could this be the cause of the problem? Incidentally I can't open any of...

Is there anyway to import a file from Illustrator to Publisher? #2
I work with a graphic artist who uses Illustrator on a Mac. I need to import her files (including graphics) into Publisher to use to do mail merges from an Excel spread sheet. I am running Publisher 2007 on Windows XP. Many thanks for any help................. Can't be done. If it was a file on your computer, you could try a copy and paste but there's no common format for the two programs. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "maggie94306" <maggie94306@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...

File transfer
Please help In moving files from one computer to another, the pages appear shrunk (all row heighths are smaller even though the number of height did not change) when opened on the new computer. Both have Office 2000 and I tried using the file transfer wizard and moving them manually. I have six year of data that is screwed up!! Mr Rubble, It isn't likely that the file transfer messed it up, but that some difference in the systems is causing this problem. It isn't clear what your problem is. Are you talking about the appearance on the screen (as opposed to print or print prev...

select and copy files
I have a table that has following fields: 1) account number 2)assiciated file name and 3) description of file 4) file path. Filenames are formatted as account number with 2 digit alphanumeric code following (i.e. 12345a2, 67890b1) table has approximately 300,000 records each associated with one of 130,000 unique account numbers. Goal is to select and copy to new destination only those files associated with a subset (approc 100,000) of 130,000 unique account numbers. Inversely, I could copy all 300,000 files then select and delete those associated with the 30,000 account numbers. any...

Outlook 2003 pst file not readable by Outlook 2000!
Hello Don't know if I was doing something wrong but I copied a pst file from Outlook 2003 to a machine running Outlook 2000 and it complained that data file was not compatible or something. Is this normal for newer version pst files to not be compatible with earlier version Outlook? Angus Of course. That's been exhaustively documented. If you want to create a PST file that will be backwards compatible in Outlook 2003, you must do so expressly. File > New > Outlook Data File > Outlook 97-2002 -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Angus Comber" <nospam@gmail.com&...

mail does not find temporay directory to open attached .xls file
Since few weeks, I cannot open attached .xls file, for the temporary directory is not found. I bypass it by saving the xls file in a a folder and then open it from there. It does't work if saved on desktop. All other attached files, pps or world, are ok -- Are all your Windows Updates current? I seem to recall there was an update for IE8 a couple of months ago which fixed the failure to open attachments. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "escofie" <escofie@discussions.microsoft.com&...