Merge cells in two columns

Hi
I have a worksheet with 300 rows
Is it possible to merge 2 adjacent columns in one or two steps without
having to do each one individually
I've just learnt how to merge 2 adjacent cells to include all data in
the range in the merged cell

column  C has the word 'dist' in ever row
column D  has numbers from 1 to 14 in random order

using Excel 2000

Martin
����

0
Martin

>>Is it possible to merge 2 adjacent columns in one or two steps without
having to do each one individually

Easy, but you have to use a menu choice not shown on the menus by default.
Do a View, Toolbars, Customize and click the Commands tab.  Select the
Format category and in the right list box find "Merge Across".  Drag this up
to say your Format menu, which will open automatically and you can drop it
wherever you want in it.  Then close Customize.

Now you can select a range like G1:H10 and click this command to get 10
merged cells.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP
<Martin ���� @mandeREMOVETHIS.plus.com> wrote in message
| Hi
| I have a worksheet with 300 rows
| Is it possible to merge 2 adjacent columns in one or two steps without
| having to do each one individually
| I've just learnt how to merge 2 adjacent cells to include all data in
| the range in the merged cell
|
| column  C has the word 'dist' in ever row
| column D  has numbers from 1 to 14 in random order
|
| using Excel 2000
|
| Martin
| ����

0
jrrech (1932)
2/2/2005 8:36:56 PM
Martin

How did you merge two cells and retain data from both the original cells?

You have data in column C and data in Column D say in C1 and D1.

Merging C1 and D1 will give a message that the data in the left cell only will
be retained.

Do you want that?

Jim's idea about the "Merge Across" button will cause a message in every row
of the range selected.

Do you want that?

To retain both cells' data you should add the data to one cell rather than
merge cells.

In E1 enter  =C1 & D1 or  =C1 & " " & D1

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 18:36:56 +0000, Martin ����  @mandeREMOVETHIS.plus.com
wrote:

>Hi
>I have a worksheet with 300 rows
>Is it possible to merge 2 adjacent columns in one or two steps without
>having to do each one individually
>I've just learnt how to merge 2 adjacent cells to include all data in
>the range in the merged cell
>
>column  C has the word 'dist' in ever row
>column D  has numbers from 1 to 14 in random order
>
>using Excel 2000
>
>Martin
>����

0
Gord
2/3/2005 12:53:30 AM
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:53:30 -0800, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca>
wrote:
>Martin How did you merge two cells and retain data from both the original cells?
I looked for 'merge cells' in HELP and got:-
Microsoft Excel places only the upper-leftmost data in the selected
range into the resulting merged cell. To include all data in the range
in the merged cell, copy the data into the upper-leftmost cell within
the range. For information about how to copy the data, click .........

>Jim's idea about the "Merge Across" button will cause a message in every row
>of the range selected.

Yeah, i discovered that

>To retain both cells' data you should add the data to one cell rather than
>merge cells.
>In E1 enter  =C1 & D1 or  =C1 & " " & D1

That's great Gord - did the job
=C1 & " " & D1 was better as I needed some space between Dist and
numbers

One learns something new every day
Regards
Martin
����
0
Martin

Numbers typed in a cell are replaced by zeros.
I am trying to format a cell so that it will have 18 number that are seperated by dashes. Our general ledger is 18 digits in length and seperated as follows xxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxxxx. When I type more than 15 digits the last ones are replaced with zeros. In example, if I type 1234-123456-12345678 it converts to 1234-123456-12345000. Hi Pan! Excel only works with 15 digits. You'll need to preface you entries with a ' and force them to be text or pre-format the cells as text. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists...

Calandar invite for two days to choose from
Can I create a meeting invitation that recurs on Tuesday and Thursday, but the invitees can select one or the other that they want to attend? In other words, I'll be having the same meeting twice a week and some will attend one and some the other but I want it in one invite. Any thoughts? Thanks! "Amy" <Amy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6824F50D-8E5F-4DD0-826A-6C01547BB1D8@microsoft.com... > Can I create a meeting invitation that recurs on Tuesday and Thursday, but > the invitees can select one or the other that they want to attend?...

Combining two excel sheets into one, where one sheet has multiple values?
I have two excel sheets Sheet 1, and Sheet 2 within one Excel document. Sheet 1 has columns Name of a Person, PersonIDnumber Sheet 2 has columns PersonIDnumber, Email address of that person Combining them into one sheet which has Name of Person, PersonIDNumber, Email address can be done using VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) The issue is Sheet 2 has multiple rows for the same PersonIDnumber meaning PersonIDnumber Email address of person 324 someone@yahoo.com 324 some_one@gmail.com 324 someone_76@hotmail.com Is there a way I can combine S...

Transposing a column to several rows
I have a large file with many rows; let's say it looks like this: start data1 data2 data3 data4 start data1 data2 start data1 data2 data3 .... What I want to do is transpose the column to a row, and then each time the word START appears, start a new row. So the above would look like this: start data1 data2 data3 data4 start data1 data2 start data1 data2 data3 .... Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Scott Make sure you make a backup copy of your data before using the code I just posted "walkersc@gmail.com" wrote: > I have a large file with many rows; let's say i...

Separating 2 exchange servers to use two different internet source
I have 2 servers. One is connected to a t1, the other is connected to a dsl line which has different dns address and firewall than our normal network. This server has two nics. How do I setup this server only to send outbound email using the dsl line. Right now I show 3 bridgehead servers these two and one in another state. The reason I am doing this is to lower the outbound traffice on the t1. Are you trying to change the outbound interface on one Exchange server, or restrict outbound smtp traffic for your Exchange routing group/organization to the one server? It also would have he...

After a cell changes colour when a date is near
When the cell changes to a specific colour say a12 goes red when a date is within 30 days (a12 is a date an assessment is due) can a12 and a1 (which a persons name is in a1) be put on a different worksheet and the same for each row so i can have a list of names and assessments on a seperate worksheet to print off so it would look like this A N OTHER FDA 02-JAN-06 A BODY SUMMARY 02-JAN-06 You could use a filter to do that. Select your table, then use Data Filter... Auto Filter. Then use Custom on your date field, and some combination of "Less th...

Selecting a cell without cell referance
Hello. Im trying to find a way to select a cell without the cell ref. Fo example i have created a macro that searches for a particular word When it find that word i want it to move across and clear the content of the 5 cells next to it. When i try to record this it find th correct cell but then when i movre accross it inserts cell refs. Thank you -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use the Offset function. Example fro VBA help: ActiveCell.Offset(rowOffset:=3, columnOffset:=3).Activate Best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address...

How to add more columns in Business Portal?
Hi, In BP 2.5, BP -> Purchasing -> Requisitions -> select a vendor, then I got data in nine columns: Item Number, Descriptrion, Required By, Price, Quantity, Unit, Extended Price, Requisition ID, and Site. How can I add one more column, Created By, into it? What permission do I need to have to do it? Thanks for your attention and help. stien ...

Two stores listed in System Configuration folder
Hello, We migrated from an Exchange 5.5 single-server installation to a Exchange 2003 single-server installation. We think we have correctly moved all data and roles to the new exchange 2003 server. We have been using the 2003 for over 6 months with no problems. Our old server is still listed under the "Servers" folder but we don't see much more evidence of the old server than that. We are ready to delete the old 5.5 server from the directory following the instructions in the MS KB articles. The physical server is no longer available. My question/concern is this: Under ...

Change field type to lookup column
Can you (and if so, how?) change the data type of a populated field to lookup from a table without losing all the previously input data? -- savannah Do not change the field in the table but in your form use a list box. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "savannah" wrote: > Can you (and if so, how?) change the data type of a populated field to lookup > from a table without losing all the previously input data? > -- > savannah Thanks Karl. However, forms are not being used at this time. Data is entered directly on the form. I do understand that this f...

Gaps appear in the design after an email merge
I have designed an email in Publisher 2007 that I want to merge with a number of email addresses and other data. The size of the completed email is about 21cm x 53 cm. Everything works perfect until after the merge. When I open some of the products of the email merge (before sending them off), I discover that all of them have text and lines missing in the horizontal area between 46 and 48 cm from the top of the document. In that area the merged emails are completely blank I have tried over and over again to solve the mysterious problem, without any success. Please advise. -- Fanie ...

Hyperlink cell placement
This should be easy but I'm having a hard time with it. I have a large wooksheet and would like to be able to add Hyperlinks to it so that whenever I hit a hyperlink, the cell chosen is in the upper-left corner of my screen every time. What happens is the cell I enter for the Hyperlink goes to the nearest point on the screen and in not revealing the part of the page I want to view. This must be simple but I'm struggling with it. Hi Nick, Add this little bit of code to the sheet containing the hypelinks. i.e. open the VBE by pressing {Alt}{F11}, double-click the sheet, and past...

Values in multiple columns into one column
Hi everyone, I have a spreadsheet with values in multiple columns where for instance col A is blank colb or c or d won't be...there will be something in one where the others are empty. I need to create a column with all the values together. Tried using the following formula but it doesn't seem to work... the values are all dates.. =IF(O2=" ",N2,IF(N2=" ",K2,IF(K2=" ",J2,O2))) Can anybody help!! Cheers Dan Hi try =IF(O2="",N2,IF(N2="",K2,IF(K2="",J2,O2))) >-----Original Message----- >Hi everyone, > >I hav...

How do you create a drop-down menu within a cell in Excel?
How do you create a drop-down menu within a cell in Excel? You can use data validation. There are instructions in Excel's Help, and here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Jimmy wrote: > How do you create a drop-down menu within a cell in Excel? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Securing emails between two companies
I need to come up with some options on securing email communications between two domains (companies) that are wanting to email data that needs to be secured. There are HIPAA requirements that need to be met. They do not want to share any other data at this point. Both organizations are running Exchange 2003. They do share some infrastructure and have their networks separated via VLANs. They both have their own internet connections. I am currently looking at setting up SMTP connectors. Am I going down the right path, or is there a better option? Thanks! an smtp connector should work i...

How do I set a cell value based on a formula in another cell?
How do I set a cell value based on a formula in another cell? =IF(D4="P.B.A.",G8,0) ,This works to set the value in the cell the formula is in, say cell A1. I would like to have this formula reside in cell A1 but set the value in cell A2 to (G8,0). Also it would be helpful if I could lock cell A2 based on a False condition from this formula in cell A1. Thanks Gary I note that this entry is also asked and answered in Programming. dingy101 Wrote: > How do I set a cell value based on a formula in another cell? > > > =IF(D4="P.B.A.",G8,0) ,This w...

In-cell progress bars?
Is there a way to have an Excel (2003) cell display a percentage result from a calculation as a shaded percentage of a cell instead of returning a result? It seems like that sort of thing should be in Format Cells... > Shading, but there's nothing there. This is possible to set up in an HTML cell by including a 1-pixel-wide graphic then changing the width attribute of the img tag. Is there anything similar in Excel? Thanks, -j One way you could do this is by means of this formula: =REPT("|",100*A1) if you have a percentage in A1 - it will repeat the pipe character once fo...

How to create a line chart with two X-axes in Excel
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! How can I create a line chart with two X-axes in Excel? select one of your data series and change axis to secondary. <chart><<chart options><Axis> Select secondary x axis. "JaVaughn" wrote: > PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! How can I create a line chart with two X-axes in Excel? Hello, thank you for replying. Which chart type would allow for 2 X-axes. The only chart type that I know that allows for 2 axes is "Line Chart with 2 Y-axes". For the above-mentioned chart, the option to designate a primary and secondary x-axis is display...

Locking Cells #6
Is there any way to lock cells in excel so that no body can overwrite it, specially cells containing formulas. TIA Try the instructions here: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/cell_locking_in_microsoft_excel.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "newbie" <jcd@refid.com> wrote in message news:O0DJJeihFHA.1248@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Is there any way to lock cells in excel so that no body can overwrite it, > specially cells containing formulas. > TIA > > ...

Chart with two types of lines
I am plotting data from 2006 and now starting to plot data from 2007 in a line chart. I would like the line from 2006 to be a solid line, and the line from 2007 to be a dotted line. This is measuring the same data, just in different years. When i try to add a different series, the new line for 2007 appears, and the 2006 line disappears. I'm not sure how I get both of them to appear at the same time. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? B Have you checked Chart/ Source Data/ Series tab to see what you've got for your two series? It may also be worth thinking about whether it might be...

How attach a file in one cell
I'd like to know if it'll be possible attach a file (word, pdf...) in one cell. I'm doing an Excel doc. and I need to put some instructions by doc. attached. in some cells. Thanks! In article <A23394A2-B804-4855-875A-7664B90F4F48@microsoft.com>, How attach a file in the cell <How attach a file in the cell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'd like to know if it'll be possible attach a file (word, pdf...) in one > cell. I'm doing an Excel doc. and I need to put some instructions by doc. > attached. in some cells. Thanks! Cells can contain...

Help? My formula is displaying in my cell
Hi there - For some reason I have one cell (in a workbook where everything else i working) that when I type in the formula in the formula bar . . . th stupid formula is showing up in the cell. My formula is simply this: =Info!B13 Because I am taking text from a sheet labeled Info in cell B13. I'v done this for about a million cells in this workbook so far an everything else has worked. This one stupid cell is just showing m the formula. Can anyone give me some suggestions to fix that? Much appreciated! Thanks! Jennife -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Jennifer,...

Auto fill cell addresses by not 1
Hi folks, Is there a way to auto-increment the cell address in a formula by an increment other than 1. For example by 15: =Fubar(A1,A2) =Fubar(A16,A17) =Fubar(A31,A32) : : : I have rather complex formulas that point to data on another excel sheet where the data is organize into blocks (it is generated by another program) rather than in nice sequential columns. Having to manual enter the cell addresses for 200 rows is a PITA! Cheers, Peter How about a little work? Say I want the formula in row 1 (say E1). I'd put this formula in E1: ="$$$=Fubar(a" & (...

Excel and clear cells....
Hi.... I have this large spreadsheet showing 52 weeks, and for each week 10 areas not adjacent to each other, all of wich I need to be cleared every year. In between areas needed to be cleared there are some hidden cells, rows and columns. Is there a way to easily clear these areas, without clearing hidden and locked areas? -- --- rgs Zadig Galbaras (nick) www.tresfjording.com You can highlight disjointed areas of cells using the Ctrl key while you click and drag. For example, click cell A1 and drag to cell B2 to highlight 4 cells. Now hold down the Ctrl key and click cell A8 and...

Sorting should be done on more than one column
Currently views can be sorted according only to one column. It would be better to sort on more than one column like in excel, first sort by A, then sort by B etc. Bilge Gul ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Com...