Maximum number of characters in a cell

Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255
characters?

Bill

0
wmurphy (3)

Hi Bill,

> Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255
> characters?

A cell can contain about 32000 characters, but Excel will display only
about a 1000 of them (depending on font and fontsize).

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com

0
jkpieterse (271)
11/6/2005 5:53:06 PM
If you would add some forced (manual) line breaks (<Alt> <Enter>) in your
text at opportune locations, you will find that you can *display* much more
text.
--
HTH,

RD

"Bill Murphy" <wmurphy@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255
> characters?
>
> Bill

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
11/6/2005 6:05:44 PM
It can contain 32K characters.

You have to put in hard carriage returns if you want to display more than
approximately 1024.

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"Bill Murphy" <wmurphy@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255
> characters?
>
> Bill

0
twogilvy (1078)
11/6/2005 6:21:50 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I'll try the hard returns to display
more characters.

Bill

"Bill Murphy" <wmurphy@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255
> characters?
>
> Bill

0
wmurphy (3)
11/6/2005 8:05:53 PM
RD,

I'm having trouble inserting a manual line break in my text, so I must have
a syntax problem.  I'm doing this in a function named fConcatChild, and
returning the results to a query which is then exported to Excel using Excel
automation from within Access.  Here's the code in my function:

    ' insert a hard return for display in Excel if the string is longer than
255
    If Len(fConcatChild) > 255 Then
        fConcatChild = Left(fConcatChild, 255) & vbCrLf &
Right(fConcatChild, Len(fConcatChild) - 255)

    End If

I'm still getting only about 255 characters in the cell in Excel to which
this variable is exported.  Am I using the wrong Visual Basic constant
vbCrLf?

Bill

"Ragdyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> If you would add some forced (manual) line breaks (<Alt> <Enter>) in your
> text at opportune locations, you will find that you can *display* much
more
> text.
> --
> HTH,
>
> RD

-
-
> "Bill Murphy" <wmurphy@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255
> > characters?
> >
> > Bill

0
wmurphy (3)
11/6/2005 10:46:46 PM
In VBA you want to use   vbLf     as it is only CHR(10)
which is Line Feed that Excel will pay attention to,
and you will have to turn on cell wrapping in your code,
or in the formatting for the column.

In Excel for a text constant.   The can use of Alt+Enter is what
will extend the display.  It will also turn on cell wrapping.
Not documented in the specifications that you can increase
the number of characters displayed by doing this.   You can
use  CHAR(10) in a worksheet formula concatenation.

In a Worksheet Formula you would also be limited to:
   Length of formula contents    1,024 characters

In your Excel help  look up  "specification"
---
HTH,

"Bill Murphy" <wmurphy@houston.rr.com> wrote in message news:qJvbf.74410$Bf7.31692@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> RD,
>
> I'm having trouble inserting a manual line break in my text, so I must have
> a syntax problem.  I'm doing this in a function named fConcatChild, and
> returning the results to a query which is then exported to Excel using Excel
> automation from within Access.  Here's the code in my function:
>
>     ' insert a hard return for display in Excel if the string is longer than
> 255
>     If Len(fConcatChild) > 255 Then
>         fConcatChild = Left(fConcatChild, 255) & vbCrLf &
> Right(fConcatChild, Len(fConcatChild) - 255)
>
>     End If
>
> I'm still getting only about 255 characters in the cell in Excel to which
> this variable is exported.  Am I using the wrong Visual Basic constant
> vbCrLf?
>
> Bill
>
> "Ragdyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> > If you would add some forced (manual) line breaks (<Alt> <Enter>) in your
> > text at opportune locations, you will find that you can *display* much
> more
> > text.
> > --
> > HTH,
> >
> > RD

> -
> > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit !
> -
> > "Bill Murphy" <wmurphy@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there a way to format a cell so that it can contain more than 255
> > > characters?
> > >
> > > Bill

IF (CELL>.76 AND <1.01 THEN (CELL)
I AM TRYING TO INPUT INTO A CELL, (CALL IT G2) THAT IF THE NUMBER IN ANOTHER CELL, (CALL IT A7) IS BETWEEN .76 AND 1.01 THEN PUT THE DATA FROM A THIRD CELL, (CALL IT H3) IN THAT CELL (G2). HOW CAN I MAKE THIS HAPPEN? On cell G2 type =IF(AND(A7>=0.76,A7<=1.01),H3,"") Also next time refrain from using all CAPS when posting questions "WALOTT1" <WALOTT1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27B501AA-3037-4353-87FD-2E49CFF79F6D@microsoft.com... >I AM TRYING TO INPUT INTO A CELL, (CALL IT G2) THAT IF THE NUMBER IN >ANOTHER > CELL, (CALL IT ...

named cell list
Could some kind person please tell me how to list the named cells of a XL 2007 spreadsheet in a worksheet. I have just upgraded from 2003 where I used the Lotus help but cant find it in 2007. many thanks. On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 11:45:22 +1000, "Keith" <oldpos@internode.on.net> wrote: >Could some kind person please tell me how to list the named cells of a XL >2007 spreadsheet in a worksheet. I have just upgraded from 2003 where I used >the Lotus help but cant find it in 2007. > >many thanks. Have a look here: http://rhftech.com/hd/excel-print-a-list-of-n...

Page number shows "#" instead of number
Using Office 2007, I am viewing a Powerpoint presentation created by someone else. No matter what view (master, normal or printed out) the page number in the footer is expressed as "#" instead of the actual number. Two other people viewing the same presentation see the page numbers instead of the "#", so this must have to do with my own computer set-up. Any suggestions? What happends if you go to master view and in EACH of the layouts slide number area delete the<#> and then Insert > SlideNumber? -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, ...

Excel extract date into cell
I am using Excel 2007 for importing data from another program. Column C always has the date in this form: 3/24/12 I would like a new column to show the following (without the quotes): "Report for Saturday, March 24, 2012" I tried this (but I am getting an error message): ="Report for " & date(c2) Please advise. On Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:48:47 AM UTC-5, Tony O wrote: > I am using Excel 2007 for importing data from another program. Column > C always has the date in this form: > 3/24/12 > > I would like a new column to show the following (wit...

Strange characters in Excel #2
A user in my network complains then after working sometime in excel (10-15 minutes) he starts receiving strange characters when typing, like if he presses the S key A will be written or some other special character this at the same time also happens with other keys as well. other products in Office suit runs ok. Now when i connect to his workstation remotely i don't face this problem when typing on his screen via my remote control software (VNC) what can be the problem ? regards See your other post for the reply! "Stingray" wrote: > A user in my network complains the...

incremental number fields in publisher?
I am trying to make gift certificates and want to have them each numberred how do I set up publisher so that it will give me an incremental number on each one thanks After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from jim u <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > I am trying to make gift certificates and want to have > them each numberred how do I set up publisher so that it > will give me an incremental number on each one thanks Try the Mail Merge tutorials at www.kvalheim.org -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/...

Count cells matching two criteria (DATE & TEXT)
Hi, I work for a Truancy Reduction Center. We receive referrals from over 50 schools in the district for kids who are truant. We'd like to know the number of referrals a specific school sent us during a specific month. Referral Dates are in F4:F500 and School Names are G4:G500. This is what I've been trying: =SUMPRODUCT(--(TEXT('Client Log 09-10'!f4:f500,"yyyymm")="200910"),--('Client Log 09-10'!G4:G500="pacifica")) These functions work separately, but don't seem to want to play together. I just read a suggested relat...

Removing Cell Borders
Is it possible in Excel 2007 to remove just a portion of a cell border (i.e. remove bottom border and leave top and sides)? This was accomplished in Excel 2003 by clicking on the Bottom Border icon and it would either add or remove for that cell. In 2007, this functionality aoppears to be gone. It looks like you have to use the remove border icon which removes all borders? Right click>FormatCElls> and check out the tab 'Borders' -- Jacob "Tim" wrote: > Is it possible in Excel 2007 to remove just a portion of a cell border (i.e. > remove ...

Inventory Items and Serial Numbers
I am trying to create a new inventory item that I want to track serial numbers for but the 'track' option is disabled.... What did I miss? Is Inventory registered? I think that if you don't have IV registered then you can create items but functionality past that is probably disabled. patrick mbs dev support -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "GPS Consultant" <gpsconsultant@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:90BFC957-58F3-4E11-9D8A-615BA3311012@microsoft.com... > I am trying to create a n...

Duplicate cheque numbers are not allowed.
A posting of cash payment batch from Cash Book to PM fails saying the "Duplicate cheque numbers are not allowed. batch will not be posted". The cash book side has posted ok but The batch CBPAY0000565 is siting under TRansactions->Purchase->Batches. The Great Plains version is 7.5 and service pack 7 installed on server and all workstations. Please can some one advice how I can post this batch?? all help will be very much appriciated. J Paul M: 07766183951 ...

Sum of all numbers before a blank row
I have an excel file which i have sorted by column 'Ordered Item'. Next to this column is a 'Price' column. The 'Ordered Item' Column may have duplicates. What I need to do is put a subtotal beside each group of 'Ordered Items' (even if they are single items). How would I sum the Prices every time there is a change in the data in column 'Ordered Items'? Ordered Items Price 241 50 241 50 340 25 600 100 600 100 So if the sheet looks like this, how ...

How do I delete text to right of a comma in a range of cells?
I have a long list of addresses and need to separate out the city and state, which got merged all into one cell. Need to import data into Streets and Trips and want to delete all city and state info out of the address cells. Please assist. Mike Select the column with your data in and ensure that ythe next column is empty. Go to Data>Text to Columns and choose delimited, then comma. Assuming your data is in column A you should get city in A and state in B. -- Ian -- "Mike M." <Mike M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB4DE8E5-4455-4611-8364-55D61234A...

protecting cells in dependency of other cells
HI! i have a problem in reference to protecting cells: my 2 cells A1 and A2 i want that A2 is as long protected as A1 is empty, so that the user has to fill in A1 first and finally then he can fill out A2. so i want A2 to be write protected as long as A1 is empty maybe some of u has a solution that could help me regards mario You'll want to use an event macro: First, Unlock A1 and any other cells you want available to the user (Format/Cells/Protection). Protect the sheet using Tools/Protection/Protect Sheet. Put this in the worksheet code module (right-click on the worksheet tab...

Using a cell's value to copy another cells info to another workshe
I am not sure that this is possible, but I will ask. I am running a bowling tournament that has many teams (2 people/team) over several shifts. These teams will be placed in two divisions. I want to list each shift's teams on a seperate worksheet while combining these into a "Tourney Standings" sheet for each division. Is there a way to use the value of one cell to copy the data in other cells to another sheet? For example, if the team is in division one then copy their names and total to the "Division 1 Standings sheet". If not, then copy their na...

Value from another cell but...
I want a cell to have a value that comes from another cell, but the cell from which it comes depends on what is in a 3rd cell. I'm not even sure this is possible For example Cells A1 = Hello, A2 = Bye The value in cell C1 will come from a cell in the A col, but which cell exactly depends on the value in he cell B1 So if B1 = 1, C1 takes the value from A1 (Hello). Is B1 = 2, C1 = Bye. If B1 = 15, C1 takes its value in cell A15, and so on. So is that possible? If so, how do i do that? -- Cthulhu ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cthulhu's Pro...

Strange Characters show up in my signature
I use a signature in my outlook messages, that contain a=20 graphic, and contact information.... Just recently,=20 whenever I insert the signature, there are a few weird=20 characters (this- =EF=BB=BF )that show up atop the signature..=20 I check the signatures and those characters do not show=20 up there, only after I insert it in... What could cause=20 this ...

compiling selected cells into second worksheet for quote
Dear all, I would appreciate any help... I am working with a master price list of products (ColumnA) and uni prices (ColumnB) in a worksheet from which I would like to selec products with prices and compile into a customer specific quote in second worksheet...ideally I'd like to place a marker "X" in Column cells adjacent to the items I want adding to the quote, thus allowin me to review the selected items and then send all "selected" item (those with Xs adjacent to them) over into a second worksheet thereb compiling a quote... Worksheet1 - Product List ColumnA ...

OWA
Hello, Messages with cyrillic text via OWA to a destination outside the domain are received with question marks instead of the cyrillic text. We are running Exchange 2003 Enterprise on W2K3 with ISA 2004 as proxy. Under Exchange 2000, we did not have this problem, but after migrating to 2003, the problem started. Are there language settings that need to be configured on the Exchange server or ISA server? Thanks useregionalcharset http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830827/en-us "landoa" <landoa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46760711-053D-46DA-821A-F...

copy reference number
I have created a large spreadsheet Some 30000 Items I wsh to add a field for MYREference number at the end of each line for example badtimes1 then I would like to be able to automatically copy badtimes1 all the way down to badtimes3000o with a copy/Formula I am not ure how how to do this Any help would be most appreciated Assume text runs in A1 down place in B1: =TRIM(A1)&TEXT(COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1),"000") Copy down as far as required -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "eventhebadtimesaregood" wrote: > I have created a large...

Please Help! How to enable cell overwrite AFTER the query is created
How do I check and/or change to overwrite the target cell? I've already created the query and I can't find where to edit the overwrite option (Excel 2002) Select a cell in the external data range. Choose Data>Import External Data> Data Range Properties Change the setting for 'If the number of rows in the data range changes' Click OK Kipp wrote: > How do I check and/or change to overwrite the target cell? I've already created the query and I can't find where to edit the overwrite option (Excel 2002) -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://...

Displaying international character set in CEdit and CListBox
How do I get strings with multiple languages (let's say a mix of english, russian, japanese characters) to display in a Unicode enabled application (MFC42U.dll). I read data from file that is utf8, convert them to WCHAR and want to display resulting strings. CEdit and CListbox controls have Arial MS Unicode font selected into them that contains all the characters. The WCHAR strings have correct information as I can check that in debugger, however when displayed in controls, english is fine but all else is displayed with "ANSI" equivalents (read: "gibberish") instead of ...

Using user-defined functions in cells
What is the correct way to define a function that can be plugged into any spreadsheet cell as a formula?? I defined a function as follows: Public Function DoMyStuff () importantData = Sheet1.Range("A1").Value importantData = importantData * 10 DoMyStuff = importantData ' Return a value End Function I then plugged my function into cell "B1" as follows: =DoMyStuf() Okay, now I noticed that when anybody edits the contents of cell "A1" that my "DoMyStuff" is not getting called ag...

some unknown Cell styles are shown in cell styles
some of my files of office 2003 which i am opening in office 2007 with same format of .xls are showing some unknown Cell styles in cell styles tab. How to remove all this unknown styles ...

Too much text in one cell
Hello, When I have a lot of text in one cell, Excel just displays "############" instead of the text. How can I change this? Hi Daniel you may try entering some manual line breaks with 'ALT+ENTER). Though have a look at the Excel help file under 'Specification'. There is a maximum of characters which can be displayed in a cell! -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Daniel Wolf wrote: > Hello, > > When I have a lot of text in one cell, Excel just displays > "############" instead of the text. How can I change this? If you widen your row/co...

page numbers not showing
I have a twenty page paper with a border. Upon printing, the page numbers are being cut off as is the bottom and top borders. Also pages that have the top/first line as bold, the top of the letters are being cut off. I have adjusted page setup and print setup but then have viewed print preview and that shows the same problem with cutoffs on top and bottom of the page. Any suggestions? -- Frankly Speaking Frankly Speaking wrote: > I have a twenty page paper with a border. Upon printing, the page > numbers are being cut off as is the bottom and top borders. Also > pages that have...