making a decision tree using excel!

hello all, i`ve been trying to make a decision tree using excel, the problem
i encounter is that i wish to put information in to b11 which is related to
information in b3, the information in b3 is ether 0 or err and is based on a
"y" or "n" being entered, does anyone know which formula to use which will
print a true of false statement in b11
0
forum (466)

Hi Andrew,
If you mean print   "True"  or "False"   or  your error

b11:     =Left(b3)="y"

So you can use   YES, Yes, yes,  Y,  y   and get True
everything else will show  False

Or to treat the error in B3 as False,  you might want to use
B11:     =IF(ISERR(B3),FALSE,LEFT(B3)="Y")

 FWIW  (For What It's Worth)
  Most worksheet formulas are not case sensitive
  Most VBA comparisons are case sensitve
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/strings.htm
--
HTH,

"andrew h via OfficeKB.com" <forum@OfficeKB.com> wrote  m...
> hello all, i`ve been trying to make a decision tree using excel, the problem
> i encounter is that i wish to put information in to b11 which is related to
> information in b3, the information in b3 is ether 0 or err and is based on a
> "y" or "n" being entered, does anyone know which formula to use which will
> print a true of false statement in b11

-------------
Posting questions to newsgroups from so called "forums" end up on websites
in addition to the newsgroups and this really screws up web searches as it is
necessary to suppress a long list of sites full of advertising that repeat newsgroup
postings.     Google search (web searches),  and you have Google Groups
(for newsgroup searchs)  but sites that send questions to newsgroups screw
up the distinction and instead of finding what you in a search you get 95% noise
in top hits.

Conditional Comment using Cell value as part of it
What I'm trying to do is the following: if cell(a1) is different from 0(zero) then, cell(b1) should have a comment that say, the value of cell(c1) is the payment, next line the value of cell(a1) was refund, next line Total for today = cell(c1)-cell(a1) Example a1 = $10.00 c1 = $30.00 B1 (comment): $30.00 is the payment (c1) $10.00 was refund (a1) Total for today: $20.00 (c1-a1) can anyone help me on that? thanks in advance ...

making a spread sheet
if for eg: i have ID1 in one cell i would like another cell to say 34 for eg: if H1 was"IDE" then can i make J1 say"44" =IF(H1="ID1",34,IF(H1="IDE",44,"")) -- HTH Bob Phillips "lofty" <lofty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B15D3F2E-5A35-4B26-803B-92EF11744E1F@microsoft.com... > if for eg: i have ID1 in one cell i would like another cell to say 34 > for eg: if H1 was"IDE" then can i make J1 say"44" ...

need form template for excel
For the purchase and sale of real estate there is a standard "Settlement Statement" following the guidelines established by the U.S. department of Housing and Urban Development. This is a standard form with proratation and allocations. Perfect for and Excel worksheet. I don't see it on your site and wonder where I might get one. Last year I custom designed a complete set of closing forms for a client using only excel where all variables were entered on one sheet and automatically transferred to about 15 forms with ONE mouse click. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@...

Can I mouse over an object and make it move?
I'm going to have a survey question on a slide where the answer is a number. I'm going to have small icons with the numbers on them (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5+). I only want the icon with the number 3 on it to be "clickable" and send them to the next slide. The other icons I want to move to another spot on the page if they mouse over the icon. Is this possible? How do I do this? Thanks in advance for any help! In article <AA0384FC-8446-44EC-8509-C71324B4F2A1@microsoft.com>, Sharpie wrote: > I'm going to have a survey question on a slide where the answer is a ...

Why is .NET 2.0 required to deploy an app using VC2005 C++ Setup project?
I just created a setup project for my mfc app. I noticed that in the prerequisites section the .NET 2.0 is checked by default. My app does not need the framework (at least this is what I think). If I clear the checkbox, build the project, and then try to deploy it on a machine with ..NET 1.1 the installer fails with a message complaining about missing .NET 2.0. I'm not sure if this the installer that needs the framework or my app. Are there any mfc8 dlls dependant on the framework? Thanks Hi, > I just created a setup project for my mfc app. I noticed that in the > p...

How do you install the Integration Assistant for Excel
I am running Gret Plains 8.0 and cannot find out how toi install the Integration Assistant for Excel. The Integration Assistant for Excel is an additional component/feature of the Integration Manager. When you install IM, It's an option to install for additional applications. If you already have IM installed then use CD1 to run setup again; select Integeration Manager choose to Modify existing setup. When the Select Feature window comes up; select the check boxes for "Additional Applications" and "Integration Assistant for Excel" "Robert Korzuch" ...

# DIV/0! error in Excel
I have a function that divides two numbers, sometimes those numbers are 0 so the result is # DIV/0!. My second function is based on the result of the first function. Since there isnt always data available for the first function I get the # DIV/0! error and my final calculation wont calculate. I need the final calculation to disregard any 0 cells or # DIV/0! errors and still calculate the data that is available. Hi You need to wrap your division with an IF() so it will evalluate the result before it puts anything in the cell. Try something like: =IF(A2>0,A3/A2,0) -- Andy. "He...

Excel Financial Statements Copied into Word
I insert Excel Worksheets into Word. Some of the underlines and bouble underlines show on the screen but do not print. -- MAB Rather than inserting the Excel worksheets into your Word document, I would suggest copying the data that you need from the worksheet as a picture and then pasting that picture into the Word document. To do so, highlight the data in the spreadsheet that you want to place into the Word Document. Hold down the "shift" key and then go to Edit -> Copy Picture -> As Shown When Printed. Then go into your Word document and Edit -> Paste. -- ...

Excel 2000 Shared Workbook Missing Worksheets
I am experiencing a problem in an Excel 2000 shared workbook. Worksheets are continously missing from the shared workbook. Users are connecting to the shared workbook using a Citrix connection. They enter their data into the worksheet and then save the workbook. The shared workbook is password protected so that users can not get exclusive rights and delete or move sheets. I've also tried tracing the changes and looking at the history to find the problem. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

How do I retrieve changes to an unsaved excel document
I closed a excel document without saving changes. Is there a way to retrieve my old worksheet which would have the changes I made. I'm using excel 2000 which is part of my Microsoft Office 2000 program. No it's not possible -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com (remove ^^ from email address) Portland, Oregon "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FABAC1F-A402-4C87-BCDA-1124E072D9D3@microsoft.com... >I closed a excel document without saving changes. Is there a way to >retrieve > my ...

How to use Find (Ctrl-F) to find non-alpha
Is there some way to search a sheet for anything BUT a-z or A-Z? tx ;-) Finding numerals or a mixture of numbers and letters (and other characters) works ok for me. What are you having trouble with? On 10/22/2010 16:31, Heather Mills wrote: > Is there some way to search a sheet for anything BUT a-z or A-Z? > > tx ;-) -- Dave Peterson On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 17:54:28 -0500, Dave Peterson <petersod@XSPAMverizon.net> wrote: >Finding numerals or a mixture of numbers and letters (and other characters) >works ok for me. > >What are you having trouble with? > >...

VC++ 2005
I am attempting to compile a project in Visual Studio 2005 which compiles and links properly in VC++ 6.0. It seems to have problems with C++ i/o functions. Here is the error I get: g:\src\analyzer\digitdialpages.h(136) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'm_InFile' Line 136: ifstream m_InFile; The statment: include <fstream> is at the top of the source file. Some assistance would be helpful. We didn't have any problems with using ifstream or ofstream in VC++ 6.0. Thanks. On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:22:47 -0500, "Raj Kulkarni...

Excel Lists Dependencies
Hi All, i have a problem to solve: I want users to be able to pick a project from a list (no problem) and then i want excel to pick the project number according to the project name automatically from a list. To make my problem clear let's say a user picks Project A from a drop down list in cell A1, then I want excel to display the correct project number in cell B1 automatically. Not all employees know projects by name in our company hence this idea. The best would be to store the project number in a list similar to a list used for drop down menus. The projects change and so do the projec...

Excel, Quicken and MS Money
My online banking service allows me to download my account data as QIF, Quicken or MS Money format. Unfortunately I don't use any o those. Does anyone here know of a way to get data from any of those formats into Excel? Thanks in advance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com http://www.mvps.org/money/faq.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "djlong3000 >" <<djlong3000.zzc6b@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:djlong3000.zzc6b@excelforum-nospam.com... > My online banking service allows me to download my account data as > QIF, Quicken or ...

How do I create custom border using peoples names?
There are many it could be done. I'd set up text boxes and go from there. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Val" <Val@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BFF16BB3-4C90-4E05-B0AA-303874A445AA@microsoft.com... > In addition to JoAnn's reply, you could use WordArt as well. WordArt allows you the opportunity to rotate, flip, arrange etc. and resize as well as save as an image. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. &...

Excel fails to save properly
I have a daily exercise in which I copy a web-based datagrid and paste it into an Excel workbook. It's typically up to 6,000 rows +/- and 15 columns wide. It takes a while to paste. After that I block format remove text-wrap and adjust row height and column widths to fit, change the worksheet tab to a description name, then attempt to SAVE AS "XXXX_YYYY-MM-DD.XLS". At this point the worksheet usually becomes unresponsive but not always. If I close Excel and then reopen it, the recovered file can eventually be repaired and saved. Is this a known problem? I suspect th...

How do I find root mean square of a periodic data in Excel

want to find duplicate Phone numbers when typed in excel 2003
I create a column and when i put a phone number in I want to have it indivcate if its a duplicate perferrable in red Let's assume this is your data: A1: 12345 A2: 54321 A3: 12345 Which cell(s) should be highlighted? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "trvlpal" <trvlpal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C707764-79F0-4ECB-BF57-661289BB59D6@microsoft.com... >I create a column and when i put a phone number in I want to have it > indivcate if its a duplicate perferrable in red Using column "A", place this formula in "conditional formatt...

Excel 2003 #34
How do I change the margins in the footer? You don't. How about adding leading space characters? Or trailing space characters (with a final alt-0160 from the numeric keypad). Peppermint wrote: > > How do I change the margins in the footer? -- Dave Peterson In Page Setup, change the bottom margin to a larger value and change the footer size by the same amount. ...

Translation to International Excel 4 Macro
I have a Excel 4 Macro sheet that looks like this: Auto_Open =ERROR(2;Recover) =WORKBOOK.SELECT("Sheet 1") =WINDOW.RESTORE() =WINDOW.SIZE(82.5;42.75) =WORKBOOK.HIDE("Macro1";TRUE) =EDIT.COLOR(1;0;0;0) =EDIT.COLOR(3;255;0;0) =EDIT.COLOR(4;212;212;212) =EDIT.COLOR(5;247;247;231) =EDIT.COLOR(2;255;255;255) =RUN("Macro5") =DELETE.NAME("Auto_Open") =WORKBOOK.SELECT("Sheet 1") =SELECT("R1:R65536") =COLUMN.WIDTH(;;;3) =ROW.HEIGHT(;;;3) =SELECT("R1C1") =WINDOW.MAXIMIZE() =RETURN() Macro5 =WORKBOOK.SELECT("Sheet 1") =SELE...

Outlook 2007 Distorts Inserted Pictures -- How do I make it stop?
When inserting pictures in HTML or RTF emails, Outlook 2007 uses the size in INCHES (for some ungodly reason) instead of in PIXELS. How the heck do I revert to the traditional 1:1 pixel mapping so that a 900 x 600 pixel picture shows up as 900 x 600 pixels in the email? I want it to ignore the INCHES and DPI attributes and just display the JPG as a website would : using the X x Y information only. Wow, not a single reply after weeks and weeks. :-( "mjs" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message news:ur9qg2bxIHA.1936@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > When inserting pictures in HTML...

making not able to forward...?
Hello Occasionally I send a private email - that I do not want forwarded at all. I remember lotus notes has this feature of not to forward/print etc... Does outlook offer this type capability? Thank you George Yep - start here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/technologies/irm.mspx Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com Microsoft Outlook FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/outlook.htm **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup. ...

how to remove non commercial use in the title bar in office
how to remove non commercial use in the title bar in office 2007 Buy an edition that is not for non-commercial use only. You own the Home and Student edition. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Mario" <Mario@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E14F850-0B65-4093-926F-B680E1C7D6B1@microsoft.com... > how to remove non commercial use in the title bar in office 2007 ...

Chart Print Footer :: Excel 2007
I create a chart using vba and I create it on it own worksheet (ActiveChart.Location Where:=xlLocationAsNewSheet, Name:="UsageChart"). I need to setup the page footer so that when it prints, the date/time appear in the lower right-hand corner. I have tried using the following command to set it up: Worksheets("UsageChart").PageSetup.RightFooter = Format(Date, "yyyy-mmm-dd") but it does not work, nothing appears. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for your help, QB Chart sheet is not a worksheet. Sheets collection comprises worksheets and c...

Synchronizing 2 spreadsheets in excel
Hi, I want to use 2 different spreadsheets - 1 which displays information for all staff and 1 which displays information for management only. How can I make the spreadsheet 1 synchronize with spreadsheet 2 (for extra data to be added to)? Is this possible? Thanks in advance - Sara ...