make XL stop interpreting email addresses as highlighted links?

In several worksheets I store email addresses but XL insists on making
them links. So, if I ever select the cell, it tries to open Outlook
(which I won't let on my machine), etc. It takes me 30 seconds to get
control back.  I've looked everywhere in Options but I haven't found
anything to stop this.  My workaround is to type the email address in an
unused cell, then copy it and Paste Special into the target cell with
"values only". What a pain.

Can you gurus please help?  By the way, I did look hard and long for
this in earlier posts -- I can't be the only one hassled by this.

Thanks much.
0
jks888 (3)

You didn't mention your version, but I'm on a XL97 machine today, so I can't
exactly advise on how some of the newer versions disable this "feature",
which they can do.
An old trick for these older versions was to click into an adjoining cell to
the link, and then use the arrow keys to enter the linked cell, therefore
by-passing the "automatic" activation.

--
HTH,

RD

"John Smith" <jks888@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In several worksheets I store email addresses but XL insists on making
> them links. So, if I ever select the cell, it tries to open Outlook
> (which I won't let on my machine), etc. It takes me 30 seconds to get
> control back.  I've looked everywhere in Options but I haven't found
> anything to stop this.  My workaround is to type the email address in an
> unused cell, then copy it and Paste Special into the target cell with
> "values only". What a pain.
>
> Can you gurus please help?  By the way, I did look hard and long for
> this in earlier posts -- I can't be the only one hassled by this.
>
> Thanks much.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
1/2/2005 12:13:57 AM
Hi John,

See JE McGimpsey's notes at:

        http://www.mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/excel/nohyperlinks.html

---
Regards,
Norman

"John Smith" <jks888@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In several worksheets I store email addresses but XL insists on making
> them links. So, if I ever select the cell, it tries to open Outlook (which
> I won't let on my machine), etc. It takes me 30 seconds to get control
> back.  I've looked everywhere in Options but I haven't found anything to
> stop this.  My workaround is to type the email address in an unused cell,
> then copy it and Paste Special into the target cell with "values only".
> What a pain.
>
> Can you gurus please help?  By the way, I did look hard and long for this
> in earlier posts -- I can't be the only one hassled by this.
>
> Thanks much.

0
normanjones (1047)
1/2/2005 12:36:59 AM
I'v using XL2K. I wish I understood what you're saying. When I try to do
what I think you're saying, I get caught in the trap (ie, mail things
start trying to open, etc.).  Bill Gates really screwed this one up
well.  Thanks for trying to help.

Ragdyer wrote:
> You didn't mention your version, but I'm on a XL97 machine today, so I can't
> exactly advise on how some of the newer versions disable this "feature",
> which they can do.
> An old trick for these older versions was to click into an adjoining cell to
> the link, and then use the arrow keys to enter the linked cell, therefore
> by-passing the "automatic" activation.

0
jks888 (3)
1/2/2005 3:07:26 AM
Thank you -- at least now I know this is a pain to everyone.

Norman Jones wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> See JE McGimpsey's notes at:
>
>         http://www.mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/excel/nohyperlinks.html
>

> ---
> Regards,
> Norman
>

> "John Smith" <jks888@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>In several worksheets I store email addresses but XL insists on making
>>them links. So, if I ever select the cell, it tries to open Outlook (which
>>I won't let on my machine), etc. It takes me 30 seconds to get control
>>back.  I've looked everywhere in Options but I haven't found anything to
>>stop this.  My workaround is to type the email address in an unused cell,
>>then copy it and Paste Special into the target cell with "values only".
>>What a pain.
>>
>>Can you gurus please help?  By the way, I did look hard and long for this
>>in earlier posts -- I can't be the only one hassled by this.
>>
>>Thanks much.

0
jks888 (3)

Is it possible to remotely administer Outlook 2003 Address Books?
Is it possible to remotely administer Outlook Address Books via reg key or group policy? I need to remove several Public Folder Address books from showing up in users Outlook Address book and the only way I know how is to go around 300 workstations and do this manually. you could remove their permissions from the Public folder. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ ...

Why do email addresses reappear after I've deleted from bufer?
I delete names from the buffer by arrowing down and hitting delete. They disaapear for the session, but when I start up my computer again they all reappear. I recieve many one-time e-mails that I respond to. Those names remain and the buffer fills. I cnnot permanently delete them "TV Woman" <TV Woman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C162DFEB-DAB3-4E2F-90A8-0E09D1690C77@microsoft.com... >I delete names from the buffer by arrowing down and hitting delete. They > disaapear for the session, but when I start up my computer again they all >...

X.400 address in recipient policy on Exchange 2003
I have added a new Exchange 2003 server to my organization. I moved my recipient update services to this new server from the existing Exchange 2000 server. Since then, new accounts have not been stamped with an X.400 address. There is an X.400 address listed in the recipient policy, but it shows as unchecked. When I check it, I get a message about not being able to disable the primary X.400 address, but when I click Ok, and then reopen the recpient policy, the checkbox for the X.400 address is once again empty. Is an X.400 address necessary for an Exchange 200x organization in native mode? ...

How do you make cells smaller?
How do you make cells smaller for excel. -- Thanks!!! Reduce column width and row height? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "brawl" <brawl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C049EF6-9C2F-4227-B7BB-055EFD94E0BE@microsoft.com... > How do you make cells smaller for excel. > -- > Thanks!!! You could also try zooming out from the View menu. 80% zoom is a good fit I like to work with. -- Thanks, Christopher This posting is provided "...

How to make aprojectile Sales with Supply and Demand?
This a project for accounting in Restaurant Management. Hi, Have a look at Tushar Mehta's page http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/supply_and_demand/ Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Junjun" <Junjun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2755F1C-2AF9-40E1-995B-99F5B9954541@microsoft.com... > This a project for accounting in Restaurant Management. ...

I cannot open hyperlink in email
When I click or CTRL-click on a hyperlink/website in an email message I receive an error message stating that restrictions on this computer prevent the link from being opened. I'm using MS OUTLOOK 2007 and IE 7. All are up-to-date. Bob Bob See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm for the latest information. -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Bob Y" <Bob Y@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17998B5E-589C-4D78-B286-FEC0...

insert table into connecting text box w/link
How do I insert a rather large table (single column, many rows) into text boxes which overflow from page to page? You don't... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "display name" <display name@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B397C80A-B72D-4D1B-B106-E14E3222A331@microsoft.com... > How do I insert a rather large table (single column, many rows) into text > boxes which overflow from page to page? ...

worry about out going emails getting through
I get 80 % of my work through my website and through corresponding with email. People email me regarding my work and pricing and I reply.. Now I know many many folks will get my reply and not write back.. that's just the way we are. I try to do follow up in about a week to see if they received my response.. and as I write this I realize I should be religious about follow up. I never liked the return receipt option.. Are there any tests to see how effective our out going emails are ? Of course I realize if problems exist it's most likely on the other end filtering too many emails.. Ju...

Email delivery delay on single server
We are having problems with users not receiving emails in a timely fashion. The scenario is this, all users are local users on the Exchange server: User1 sends an email to User2 and User3. User3 gets the email right away, several minutes will pass before User2 receives the email. Sometimes this can be up to several hours before a User will get the email. The problem is not isolated to one User being the one that has the delay. ...

duplicate email messages
Is anyone aware of any settings in Outlook Express V6 that cause messages received and sent to be duplicated? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh;en-us;newsgrou...

Outlook 2007 trying to send an email that does not exist
Hi Outlook is stuck trying to send a message (1 of 1) that does not exist in my Outbox. I have tried using OutlookSpy to delete any read receipts but there are none. Also I have uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook with no luck. I have tried to create a new PST, set it as default and delete the Outbox in the original PST but the delete option was ghosted. This is becoming very frustrating as although I am able to send other mails they take a very long time to go. Any help would be much appreciated. Does the problem go away when you set the new pst as default? -- Dia...

Reply and Forward emails get hung up
If I reply or forward an email, it gets hung up in my outbox. I have NO problem sending a NEW email. Help! ...

outlook 2007 enhance email tracking
it's very common to get into email conversations.. where an original email is sent.. then several people reply.. and you have about 30 emails on one topic.. the situation gets more complex.. when the thread breaks off.. into another thread (or someone changes the title or removes others.. outlook 2007 can find related email threads .. but I'd like to see the ability to be smart enought to delete the older threads or show a graphic link of messages.. so only the latest email in a thread is replied to. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft resp...

Receive immediate NDR when sending email from OL2002
Updated W2K Pro via the update site. Upgraded to IE6. After reboot, am unable to send email. Recive an immediate NDR. The NDR gives no error message. The event viewer also has no errors. Am able to PING the POP3 sever and the SMTP server. When in services and we test the email account, all goes well until it tries to send mail. That is the only failure. The error states to check the email address field. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Dale Could you turn on diagnostic logging (see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q300479) and post the OPMLog.log file (prefera...

Combo Box sort first by alpha-numeric address sets
I have a Combo box of addresses that look like this: Run_point_Address_A 136 Herne Hill, SE24 26 Stanstead Road, SE23 35 Sunderland Road, SE23 389 Coldharbour Lane, SW9 41 Stanstead Road, SE23 Blythe Hill, SE6 Brockley Rise, SE23 Brockley Rise, SE23 Coldharbour Lane, SE24 Half Moon Lane, SE24 Herne Hill, SE24 Herne Hill, SE24 Milkwood Road, SE24 Milkwood Road, SE24 Milkwood Road, SE24 Stanstead Road, SE23 Stanstead Road, SE23 Stanstead Road, SE6 How can I make it sort like this: (Which is Alpha first, then numerical, but based on the individual alpha address sets) Run_point_Address_A Bl...

Link current query to a table?
I'm trying to create a cost estimate form, and I'm working on one underlying query to power it. Its based off a lot number. A certain digit in our lot number indicates the blend of the product. I have a table of blend codes and descriptions based on that digit. I have a column to calculate the blend code from the lot number but I am having no luck getting the description into either the query or the form. I have tried a Dlookup but I seem to have trouble getting it to refer back to the query that it is in. I know I could create another table of Lots and their associ...

Line spacing an email in Outlook 2007
Hi, I have read a lot of the posted discussions regarding line spacing in an email, however, I'd like to get confrimation on this, if possible. When one of our users creates a new email message in Outlook 2007, (Vista operating system) the line spacing seems to be 1.5. We have already checked the normal templates for Word, as well as Outlook, to make sure spacing is set to single; and have also verified that the Normal style in his message is set to single. From what I've been reading, it seems the only solution is to use "Exactly" a specified point size to correct t...

Excel and Access Linking
I am interested in linking the two together for a project at work. I work for a construction company and I need to keep track our employees and the work they perform. I also need to do this for our subcontracted work also. We have about 95 clients and about 15 different crews in-house. I am looking for some good reference books or web site linkings on Access and Excel. I enjoy this forum nad have found many useful topics. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

How do I make a check mark?
When I use the code for a checkmark (alt 80) in Excel, I get the letter P instead of the checkmark. In fact I tried several symbol shortcuts (alt + code) and got all letters. What am I missing? I use =char(252) (alt-0252) and a wingdings font. If you're using xl2002, you could find more checkmarks via Insert|symbol Chip Pearson has an addin that may help (if you're using xl2k or lower). http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm (look for Symbolizer and make sure you get the correct version) kentrks wrote: > > When I use the code for a checkmark (alt 80) in Excel, I get ...

stop my email from resending
why is that sometimes when i go to send on an email with attachment that i received from someone else, it sits in my outbox and is actually re-sending itself to the same people over and over. i have to actaully go into my outbox and delete it but there is nothing in the sent folder to show it got sent at all. please help as it isnt good when this happens as friends receive it 20 or so times... Is this a relatively large attachment? Is your send/receive set to less than 10 minutes? Do you have AV actively scanning your incoming/outgoing mail? This could be an issue when you combi...

REPOST: Unable to recieve mail on second SMTP address. Relay error
I have a single SBS2003 running Exchange. We want to host an additional SMTP domain (blackstonecanmore.ca). I have update the MX record and www.dnsreport.com says everything in the Internet DNS setup is correct. The problem now is I'm getting "Unable to Relay" bounce back messages when sending mail to this secondary domain. I have added the domain name to the recipient policy, the "This Exchange server..." is checked on and I've updated all of the AD user accounts. I've also restarted all of the Exchange services. I can send mail internally to that SMTP...

Send an email
I'm actualy using Visual Basic for Applications in Access 2000 Windows XP [Tried the access group and only got the reply (buy) and use our smtp server] [I am used to including and using some Windows API calls] I would like to send and email messages directly from vb code without first installing a third party smtp server. I use OutlookExpress for normal emails BUT my users may not! I simply want to bypass any installed general mail application installed and not effect it any way. ?? pointers ?? ?? example soluntions ?? -- Jim Bunton This is a multi-part mes...

can't send emails 06-05-10
The connection to the server has failed. Subject '10 Golden Pine - amendment to change closing date', Account: 'EMC', Server: 'mail.bellsouth.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E That server can't handle port 465. Try changing the incoming port to = 110. If no improvement, change to the AT&T/Yahoo settings given here: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=3DKB401738 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "Patsy" wrote in message = news:77E030CE-B95C-4D4C-BDA6-76EFA0...

Stop showing end-user-agreement each time opening Excel
eACH TIME i SIGNON TO eXCEL it makes me agree first. Try to re-register Excel. Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. 2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK. See the space between exe and /regserver You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe. In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes required)>OK. Have your CD ready just in case you are asked for it. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 07:43:05 -0700, Frankadams <Fran...

Creating email templates
Hello, I created an email template and saved it as an .oft file. Now how do i use it. How can i open it in outlook. i can not find a place in outlook that will let me do that. Please help Lee Tools->Forms->Choose Form. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Lee <ldean@comcast.net> asked: | Hello, | | I created an email template and saved it as an .oft file. | Now how do i...