Make input in one column determine dropdown list in another.

Is there any way I can make the info thats input in one column (selected by
dropdown list) determine which (one of several) dropdown list is used in
another column?

Use a list formula of the type

=OFFSET(IF(E1=1,rng1,rng2),0,0,(COUNTA(IF(E1=1,rng1,rng2))),1)

where E1 is the first DD.

--

HTH

RP

"gettin-older" <gettin-older@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way I can make the info thats input in one column (selected
by
> dropdown list) determine which (one of several) dropdown list is used in
> another column?

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
11/13/2005 8:11:44 PM
If these are data validation dropdown lists, there are instructions here
for dependent lists:

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
11/13/2005 8:20:37 PM
Thank to very much!

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> If these are data validation dropdown lists, there are instructions here
> for dependent lists:
>
>    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html
>
> gettin-older wrote:
> > Is there any way I can make the info thats input in one column (selected by
> > dropdown list) determine which (one of several) dropdown list is used in
> > another column?
>

> --
> Debra Dalgleish
> Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

You're welcome!

gettin-older wrote:
> Thank to very much!
>
> "Debra Dalgleish" wrote:
>

>>If these are data validation dropdown lists, there are instructions here
>>for dependent lists:
>>
>>   http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html
>>
>>gettin-older wrote:
>>
>>>Is there any way I can make the info thats input in one column (selected by
>>>dropdown list) determine which (one of several) dropdown list is used in
>>>another column?
>>

>>--
>>Debra Dalgleish
>>Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

Send messages in another "Send Items"
I have a personal and a groupmailbox in Outlook(2000). If I send a message on behalf of de groupmailbox the message is placed in my personal "Sent Items". But what I want is the message to be placed in the groupmailbox "Sent Items'. Anyone some ideas? W2000 Outlook 2000 Exchange 5.5 Thankz Peter Peter <jpmoons@yahoo.com> wrote: > I have a personal and a groupmailbox in Outlook(2000). > If I send a message on behalf of de groupmailbox the message is > placed in my personal "Sent Items". > But what I want is the message to be placed in the g...

Exporting a List Of Addresses
I have been asked to export a list of all addresses within our network. While I am pretty sure there was a button on Exchange 5.5 to do this, I cannot seen to find a tool to enable this task in 2003. Any ideas??? Hi maybe there is an easiest way but I use dsquery or csvde to do such a things dsquery * dc=exchange,dc=edu -filter "(&(objectclass=user)(objectcategory=person))" -attr displayname proxyAddresses for domain exchange.edu and for users only Nebojsa Seslija "Griff" <Griff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3C86675-2A31-44BD-8AF...

multiple Domains under one domain or multiple forests under one forest
I have to research on below scenario. Asia regional countries are in separate forests/single domains Europe has forest and child domains. Europe is separate systems only connected via WAN only. Our proposal was make one forest under Europe as =91APAC=92, and then we will migrate regional counties under to APAC forest to appropriate Trees. Europe proposed that instead of creating APAC migrate all the Asia regional forest to one of Europe Domain. As example, migrate all Asia user accounts to Germany domain under Europe forest. for me putting every domain to one domain sounds messy f...

Downloads from Capital One with 2006 Deluxe
My downloads from Capital One Bank are consistently scrambled. One problem is the wrong payee may be assigned to the transaction. Another problem is the transaction is duplicated because payment is sent out one day and received by my bank 3 or 4 days later. Any ideas? In microsoft.public.money, setsim wrote: >My downloads from Capital One Bank are consistently scrambled. One problem >is the wrong payee may be assigned to the transaction. This might happen if something like POS etc is entered into the Payee spot. The following won't put the right payee there, but should kee...

Search for data in a column bring all related items in other colum
I have data in the excel sheet with .A column for OrderNo and B Column for items for that Order. A B ORD001 ITEM1 ITEM2 ITEM3 ORD002 ITEM4 ITEM1 ITEM5 There are more than thousand orders.I want search for an Order so that it brings all items with it. I cannot use filter in A column as it doesn't recognise blank cell.So Option to repeat order nos in A for every item involves a lot of data entry. Any Solution ? I'd fill those empty cells in column a with the previous value. And us...

Quote Product showing products not part of the Quote Price List
On the quote I pick a price list with 2 products on it and save it. I drill into Quote Product and the product lookup shows me those two products and products that are not part of that price list. What am I missing? I suspect this is by design, Bob. You might need to write a script to check if the product selected is present in the specified pricelist and display an alert, etc. HTH, Niths "Bob" wrote: > On the quote I pick a price list with 2 products on it and save it. I drill > into Quote Product and the product lookup shows me those two products and > product...

If cell value is greater than another cell value, clear contents.
Okay, hopefully this is the last question today! I've found the below formula in one of the posts here, but my brain has completely failed on me and I'm not sure how to adapt it to my requirements. I have a value which is entered by the user after a prompt, that populates in cell G4 in a sheet called 'Lookup'. For arguments sake, the current value is 30/11/09. I have another worksheet, 'Data', which has a column populated with dates (say column B). I'd like a macro that looks in column B on the data sheet, and clears out any dates which are gr...

Re: preventing distribution lists from printing
I work for a large corporation and I often get outlook mail with ver long distribution lists. Is there any way to prohibit these lenght list from printing so that I only get the message? Thank - buddy ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.mcse.m ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message548641.htm ...

how do I find an average number of specific words in a column
I am attempting to calculate a number of specific word occurrences. In example, I have a column with yes in certain cells, and no in the others. How can I display the total number of yes and no occurrences? I am fairly new to Excel and know very little about coding in it. Hi you can use the countif function to return the numbers of "yes" and "no" e.g. =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"yes") will count the number of "yes" answers in the range A1 to A100 likewise, =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"no") will count the number of "no" answers in the same range H...

Dropdowns in Word 2003
I have created a dropdown in Word 2003; the text exceeds the field length and the text that is beyond that field length is getting cutoff on the document. Can I widen the dropdown field? How can I correct this issue? Thanks! See http://www.gmayor.com/SelectFile.htm -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>...

Movement of cursor within a drop down list
When we type a letter in the cell, the cursor should move to the word starting with that letter in the drop down list. How this can be done? If you are using a Data Valadation drop down try this. Sort your validation list and at the beginning of the A's enter a single A, do the same for the beginning of the B's and all the way through to the Z's. Click in the cell that has the drop down validation and type in the letter of the list you desire... say you type in an O. DO NOT hit enter... leave the cell in the edit mode (still selected) and now hit your down arrow. Should take...

How do I lock N left hand columns
How do I lock N left hand columns in excel so that when I want to see some right hand columns and slide the columns on the right to the left the locked columns do not move and remain visible? Don J ------------------------------------------------------------------------ With A,B,C visible select D1 and hit Window / Freeze panes. This will freeze A,B,C in view If you hit D2 and do it you will also lock the headers in view (ie Row 1) Whatever cell you select it will freeze to the left and above that cell. -- Regards Ken.........................

MS Query Column Headings and Calculated Fields
I'm using MS Query to pull data from an ODBC data source. Everything works fine and I can extract data just great. I'm wondering, however, calculating some fields with the query. I can't seem to add a column heading without enclosing the heading in quotes. That would normally be fine, but everytime I go to edit the query and extra set of quotes is added to the column heading. Is there any way to get around this? I also would like to know if there is a way to use calculated fields in other calculations. If so, is there any documentation out there on how to do this? Thanks, -...

Roundin specific input time
Please, I need me. I built a time management database and would like to round specific times up or down. For example whenever someone in time is between 7:16am to 7:33am, I would like it rounded to 7:30am, in times between 8:16am to 8:33am to 8:30am and all other in times around thoses ranges not to be rounded. I have some individuals reporting at 7:30am and some at 8:30am, would prefer the code to also round 8:16am to 8:33am as 8:30am as well. Out time ranges between 4:00pm and 4:10pm round to 4:00pm and ranges 5:00pm to 5:10pm rounded to 5:00pm and all other in times around thoses ran...

Hide one month in a chart
I have data from July 2006 to January 2007 that I need to chart. The only catch is that there is no data for Dec 06 (we do not capture this data due to the Xmas rush). On the chart I would like to remove Dec 06 but have not succeeded. Any ideas? In the cell where the Dec 6 data should go type =NA() This will display as #N/A Excel will ignore it when it charts But Dec 6 will still be on the x-axis (it would be misleading to not have it) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email <dkbleechmore@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:1170456927...

Refreshing Lists
Hi, I have 26 different lists on one sheet. On a second sheet, I have a cell that is displaying these lists depending on a value that the user chooses. (i.e., the user types 'computers' in A1. Cell A2 reads 'computers' and displays the computers dropdown list that is listed on the second sheet.) <FYI, I am using the =indirect(a1) function in the validation list box.> Question is, say the user changes from computers to books. Without clicking on the dropdown box, the list for 'computers' is still displayed, even though A1 now displays 'books&...

2 Y Axes: Lines and a Stacked Column
Hello, I'm using Excel 2003 SP3 and having trouble with the following... Sample data: X Axis Y Axis1 Y Axis1 Y Axis2 Y Axis2 Y Axis2 Date DataA DataB DataC DataD DataE 1/31/09 4.3 3.6 10% 40% 50% 2/28/09 2.9 1.9 30% 60% 10% 3/31/09 1.2 6.4 15% 10% 75% I need Y Axis1 to be two simple lines and Y Axis2 a stacked column that sums to 100%. Can't figure this out. Please advise... Thanks! Jeff First, clear the cell above the dates,...

Transfer data from Excel col. A to columns B-E in the same sheet
I have an Excel 2003 spreadsheet with only one column of player data: column A. The first three data items in column A are the same for every player: Name, Address and Phone. Every player also has at least one comment but could have any number of comments. Each player’s data is separated from the next by a blank cell in column A. Sometimes, a player’s last few comments are blank resulting in multiple blank cells in column A before the data for the next player starts. I need help writing an Excel 2003 VBA macro to: 1. Copy just the player’s name, but not the Name: label, to c...

email address not updating in global list
We have a single Exchnage 2003 server. An exchnage enabled user account was created with the wrong spelling. I went to ADUC and right clicked on the object and renamed it. I then when into the properties and changed the spelling everywhere I could find it. I can manually send an email to the correct address, but When I go to Outlook 2003 and look inthe global list, the incorrect spelling is there. I made this correction over a week ago. I then went to Exchnage System Manager, and fond the Default Offline Address list and right clicked on the object and selected rebuild. But it s...

Delete records when certain records have duplicate column data
Hi, I'm new to excel. I want to delete (sort of) duplicate records. My spreadsheet has many columns. My spreadsheet has many records I want to delete records where the data in just a few columns is the same in multiple records. (e.g. if the values in columns "A" "B" "D" "F" in any record is duplicated in multiple rows ..delete all matching records/rows. A= house number B= street name D=apt number F=city Bonus points: Can a macro/button be created that will allow me to load a spreadsheet and then somehow run the above filter/function on the ...

OWA Blocked Senders List limit
My boss is out of town using OWA to check his e-mail. He received a message and did the usual. He right clicks on the message and attempts to add the sender to the "blocked senders list". He then receives the following message, "An error occurred processing your junk e-mail lists. You are over the size limit allowed on your server. Contact your server administrator." That would be me. I'd appreciate any help here. I don't know of any limits on the junk e-mail list. I plead for a solution. Thank you, Andy ...

distribution list error
I have a computer running OL 2003 and WinXP. Whenever he tries to send to our local distribution list in the global address list, it goes to our ISP instead of through Exchange and then is returned non-deliverable. However when he sends to individuals within the global address list it works fine. No other computer has this problem, but the rest of us have OL 2000. I was going to revert that one back to 2000, but hoped there was another quick fix. Any ideas? -Dawn ...

create a month column from date column
I have a column in which the date is entered in mm/dd/yyyy format. what i would like to have is another column that takes that information and gives me the month in word format and the year in number format. so for example: if e2= 05/07/2009 i would like to have f2= May 2009 is that possible? if so, How do I do that? your help will be greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance In F2, enter: =E2 and format F2 as Custom > mmmm yyyy -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200909 "jcontrer" wrote: > I have a column in which the date is entered in mm/dd/yyyy fo...

Excel dropdowns w/o blanks
Hello, I have built a spreadsheet which requires data to be entered in order for the sheet to work properly. My problem is even though there IS NOT a blank option in the drop down, you can select the cell and hit <delete>. This effectively enters a "blank" entry and renders the outgoing data worthless.... How can I keep users from doing this? Thank you for your help!!! Darrell, I think the dropdown you're referring to is Data Validation. It doesn't get involved when a cell is cleared (delete key), pasted into, another cell moved there, and such things. It...

how to make outlook go to a different folder (then inbox) when opened or tabbed
Does any one know how to make outlook point to some personal folder when it opens and when coming back from the calendar? Thanks, Reuven. Tools->Options->Other->Advanced->When starting Outlook... --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, reuven.sa@gmail.com asked: | Does any one know how to make outlook point to some personal folder | when it opens and when coming back from...