Major help needed #2

Right, so this one is a biggy for me, and I'm stumped.

Basically, I have to analyse the mobile phone records for my company. The
invoice comes in on a disk, and now it's my job to go through all the calls
picking out certain numbers, users, etc.
Anyway, after exporting the data to a .txt file, i now need to open it in
excel so I can start comparing and so on. Unfortunately, this is a big
company and turns out, there are a lot of calls being made.
So excel is unable to open anything more than the first 65 000 odd rows of
calls. I still need a lot, lot more.
Is there any way that Excel can carry on opening the txt file in another
worksheet or something like that.
For instance, as soon as one worksheet is full, move on to Sheet 2 instead
of just stopping the opening?

If anybody has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated, 'cos there's no
way I'm going through those records manually.

Thanks a lot,
mike
0
mikevr (8)

mike, have a look here,

 http://redirx.com/?334z

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003
"mike_vr" <mikevr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Right, so this one is a biggy for me, and I'm stumped.
>
> Basically, I have to analyse the mobile phone records for my company. The
> invoice comes in on a disk, and now it's my job to go through all the
> calls
> picking out certain numbers, users, etc.
> Anyway, after exporting the data to a .txt file, i now need to open it in
> excel so I can start comparing and so on. Unfortunately, this is a big
> company and turns out, there are a lot of calls being made.
> So excel is unable to open anything more than the first 65 000 odd rows of
> calls. I still need a lot, lot more.
> Is there any way that Excel can carry on opening the txt file in another
> worksheet or something like that.
> For instance, as soon as one worksheet is full, move on to Sheet 2 instead
> of just stopping the opening?
>
> If anybody has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated, 'cos there's
> no
> way I'm going through those records manually.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> mike

how "clean" is the data in the txt file?  Is it a report with page headings,
footers, blank lines, etc?  Sometimes it's easier to pull it into a word
processor first and get it down to just rows of the call data, nothing else.
0
dlw (166)
4/18/2005 4:02:53 PM
Another suggestion: try to use Access instead of Excel...

Bye

Franz

"Paul B" <to_much_spam_to_list@nospam.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> mike, have a look here,
>
> http://redirx.com/?334z
>

> --
> Paul B
> Always backup your data before trying something new
> Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it
> Feedback on answers is always appreciated!
> Using Excel 2002 & 2003
> "mike_vr" <mikevr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>> Right, so this one is a biggy for me, and I'm stumped.
>>
>> Basically, I have to analyse the mobile phone records for my company. The
>> invoice comes in on a disk, and now it's my job to go through all the
>> calls
>> picking out certain numbers, users, etc.
>> Anyway, after exporting the data to a .txt file, i now need to open it in
>> excel so I can start comparing and so on. Unfortunately, this is a big
>> company and turns out, there are a lot of calls being made.
>> So excel is unable to open anything more than the first 65 000 odd rows
>> of
>> calls. I still need a lot, lot more.
>> Is there any way that Excel can carry on opening the txt file in another
>> worksheet or something like that.
>> For instance, as soon as one worksheet is full, move on to Sheet 2
>> instead
>> of just stopping the opening?
>>
>> If anybody has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated, 'cos there's
>> no
>> way I'm going through those records manually.
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> mike

0
fra68ve1 (6)
4/18/2005 4:36:22 PM
Surely this is a job for a database?

--

HTH

RP

"mike_vr" <mikevr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Right, so this one is a biggy for me, and I'm stumped.
>
> Basically, I have to analyse the mobile phone records for my company. The
> invoice comes in on a disk, and now it's my job to go through all the
calls
> picking out certain numbers, users, etc.
> Anyway, after exporting the data to a .txt file, i now need to open it in
> excel so I can start comparing and so on. Unfortunately, this is a big
> company and turns out, there are a lot of calls being made.
> So excel is unable to open anything more than the first 65 000 odd rows of
> calls. I still need a lot, lot more.
> Is there any way that Excel can carry on opening the txt file in another
> worksheet or something like that.
> For instance, as soon as one worksheet is full, move on to Sheet 2 instead
> of just stopping the opening?
>
> If anybody has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated, 'cos there's
no
> way I'm going through those records manually.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> mike

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
4/18/2005 4:37:15 PM
Agree 150%.

The couple of hours invested in learning to use the rudimentary features of
Access will be returned many times over in ease of use.  Additionally, Excel
can easily query Access tables to pull in specific subsets of data.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> Surely this is a job for a database?
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> RP
>

> "mike_vr" <mikevr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Right, so this one is a biggy for me, and I'm stumped.
> >
> > Basically, I have to analyse the mobile phone records for my company. The
> > invoice comes in on a disk, and now it's my job to go through all the
> calls
> > picking out certain numbers, users, etc.
> > Anyway, after exporting the data to a .txt file, i now need to open it in
> > excel so I can start comparing and so on. Unfortunately, this is a big
> > company and turns out, there are a lot of calls being made.
> > So excel is unable to open anything more than the first 65 000 odd rows of
> > calls. I still need a lot, lot more.
> > Is there any way that Excel can carry on opening the txt file in another
> > worksheet or something like that.
> > For instance, as soon as one worksheet is full, move on to Sheet 2 instead
> > of just stopping the opening?
> >
> > If anybody has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated, 'cos there's
> no
> > way I'm going through those records manually.
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> > mike

0
DukeCarey (494)
4/18/2005 4:55:02 PM
Paul you legend, code works brilliantly. only problem is it places all info
in the first cell but that's easily sorted with a quick "text to column".

Nice one mate, thanks

"Paul B" wrote:

> mike, have a look here,
>
>  http://redirx.com/?334z
>

> --
> Paul B
> Always backup your data before trying something new
> Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it
> Feedback on answers is always appreciated!
> Using Excel 2002 & 2003
> "mike_vr" <mikevr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > Right, so this one is a biggy for me, and I'm stumped.
> >
> > Basically, I have to analyse the mobile phone records for my company. The
> > invoice comes in on a disk, and now it's my job to go through all the
> > calls
> > picking out certain numbers, users, etc.
> > Anyway, after exporting the data to a .txt file, i now need to open it in
> > excel so I can start comparing and so on. Unfortunately, this is a big
> > company and turns out, there are a lot of calls being made.
> > So excel is unable to open anything more than the first 65 000 odd rows of
> > calls. I still need a lot, lot more.
> > Is there any way that Excel can carry on opening the txt file in another
> > worksheet or something like that.
> > For instance, as soon as one worksheet is full, move on to Sheet 2 instead
> > of just stopping the opening?
> >
> > If anybody has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated, 'cos there's
> > no
> > way I'm going through those records manually.
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> > mike

0
mikevr (8)

parsing a date and time field #2

Help with a formula..
I am trying to create a formula that will take information from a cell on one sheet and combine it with text on another sheet. I know how to get the two together. My problem is that I want the part that is brought in to be bolded type. Here is what I have in the formula. ="we are pleased to submit our quotation for "&(cell reference)&" according to the following specifications." What I want to do is have the cell reference part be bold type. Is there a way to do that? It doesnt work if I bold the cell.. already tried it.. Any suggestions? Thanks! KK You'...

Help needed urgently
Hi, Im trying to check that one row of data satifies a criteria, then if it does it counts an entry in another column adjescent to it. Example: - Column A - Column B Blay - Y Blay - N Blay - Y Chop - N Chop - N High - Y What i would be asking (of a much bigger table) is If Column A = Blaydon and then column B (same row) = Y, then count. In this example I would want 2 returned as the answer. Is this possible? Thanks -- Andy Try one of these... Use cells to hold the criteria: D2 = Blaydon E2 = Y If you're using Excel 2007 or later: =COUNTIFS(A2:A7,...

Money Central Portfolio #2

macro #2

merging 2 cells without losing data?

Statements #2

help with dynamic tables

Macro

Sum amount if = 2 value's

Excel pivot table #2

Macro Help #18
Well I think this is a macro. I have searched my excel book and i can not seem to figure out what to do. I want to write something that if this statement is true, then the font color changes. But here is the potential problem. THe location of the text will change. So i need it to search for this text and then change the color. Does that make sense? Is this possible? If this can be done it will really help me. Thanks in advance. This is exactly what i am trying to do. You type in a persons name into cell a1. you also type a name into cell a2. These names will transfer over ...

Outlook Express 6 Spell Check #2
I am using Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, and I have a problem with spell check. When you send an email, it says "spell check has been haulted, do you want to send anyway" and if I ask it to spell check, it says an error has occured in spell check. All my spelling options are correctly set, so I don't know what the problem is. Kimberly McNabb <knmcnabb@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am using Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, and I have a > problem with spell check. Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Database #2
Hi I'm new to Outlook. I hear of an Outlook database in other threads. Is this synonymous with the ..pst or .ost files people mention? Does it corrupt often and if so are there tools to repair it? Regards Craig. There's a utility called ScanPST.EXE that will scan and attempt to repair the file. Yes, typically when a user says Outlook database they're referring to their PST file "Craig Roberts" <craigroberts@jkr.co.uk> wrote in message news:C4C8E141.211DE%craigroberts@jkr.co.uk... > Hi > > I'm new to Outlook. > > I hear of an Outlook d...

unique with 2 columns

host unreachable #2
hi, if i send a email with a wrong address or mispelled it, i don't get a message that the address, destination is wrong until 4 days later after being deletedj from the outgoi queue im using E5,5 sp4 thks Is that for all domains, even for Yahoo and Hotmail? Rick wrote: > hi, > > if i send a email with a wrong address or mispelled it, i > don't get a message that the address, destination is wrong > until 4 days later after being deletedj from the outgoi > queue > > im using E5,5 sp4 > > thks ...

Excel number formatting #2

I Need an answer for this Formula
I am using excell 2007 & this formula works {=IFERROR(AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5))),0)} When i upload this workbook to a 2003 version this formula does not work I get {=_xinfl.IFERROR(AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5))),0)} or somthing close to this Then in the cell with this formula has a NAME error WHY & HOW could i fix The IFERROR function can only be used in Excel 2007. Try this array formula** : =LOOKUP(1E100,CHOOSE({1,2},0,AVERAGE(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G5:HC5)-COLUMN(G5),4)=0,IF(G5:HC5>0,G5:HC5)))...

Closing Excel #2
I have inherited an App desigend by an ex employee Sometimes the program leaves Excel in the task manager The programe uses various routines and calling various functions that define Excel sheets etc (badly named) I'm finding it hard to follow (my 1st experince of .NET) is there a way to KILL any Excel instence when exiting the program. I have come across some posts about GC (garbage collection) like this System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oXLWsheet) oXLWsheet = Nothing 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oXLWs) oXLWs = Nothing oBook.Clos...

hidden transactions #2
I have a problem with account balances: the balance for checking is way off on the hiome page than in the account register view. When I tried to find out why, I got some greyed out transaction when I went from bill schedule through right click to payee. This transaction cannot be changed or deleted, but in total all such transactions made up the difference in balance. Any suggestions? Oscar -- Elvart In microsoft.public.money, elvigor wrote: >I have a problem with account balances: the balance for checking is way off >on the hiome page than in the account register view. When I ...