Maintaining cell references when inserting cells elsewhere

I've got a problem that I can't seem to find mentioned elsewhere. I have 
created a spreadsheet so that I can compare the contents of 2 separate 
databases - one an export of rows from an Access database, and the other 
selected cells from another spreadsheet, sorted using the same criteria. 
There are some differences between the 2 and I want to flag where the 
different values are. I have the "database" cells in columns A to K (about 
9500 rows) and the "spreadsheet" cells in columns S to AD. I'll refer to 
these as the Left side and the Right side.

In the middle, Columns L through R are used to compare and flag 
corresponding cells from the Access side with the Excel side of the file. For 
example, =IF(H2=X2,"","X") - will be blank if the 2 cells are equal and will 
show an "X" if they aren't.

What happens is that I hit a record on one side that doesn't exist in the 
other - e.g. the Right side has a record that isn't in the Left, so from that 
point on they're out of sync. I need to add a "blank" bunch of cells on the 
Left side of the spreadsheet bump down the records below that point. When I 
do this, though, my formulae in L to R get altered also, so every time I have 
to add a row I need to recopy these formulae down to the bottom in order to 
update my "X" 's. Is there a way to "freeze" these formulae so they don't 
recalculate each time. I've dabbled with INDIRECT and OFFSET but can't get it 
to do what I want. Basically I just want those formulae to stay the same.

Sorry to be so long winded. Thanks for any suggestions!

 
-- 
Stephen
0
8/5/2005 6:06:07 PM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

3 Replies
381 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 23

Hi Stephen,

you can try using the "$" sign in the formula so that the formula does not 
change also you can go to tools >options>calculation and you a many option 
for reclaculation including manual option.

I think the 2nd option will definitely help.

Also if all the data values are unique you can use the countif function also.

do reply if this helped



"Stephen Jefferson" wrote:

> I've got a problem that I can't seem to find mentioned elsewhere. I have 
> created a spreadsheet so that I can compare the contents of 2 separate 
> databases - one an export of rows from an Access database, and the other 
> selected cells from another spreadsheet, sorted using the same criteria. 
> There are some differences between the 2 and I want to flag where the 
> different values are. I have the "database" cells in columns A to K (about 
> 9500 rows) and the "spreadsheet" cells in columns S to AD. I'll refer to 
> these as the Left side and the Right side.
> 
> In the middle, Columns L through R are used to compare and flag 
> corresponding cells from the Access side with the Excel side of the file. For 
> example, =IF(H2=X2,"","X") - will be blank if the 2 cells are equal and will 
> show an "X" if they aren't.
> 
> What happens is that I hit a record on one side that doesn't exist in the 
> other - e.g. the Right side has a record that isn't in the Left, so from that 
> point on they're out of sync. I need to add a "blank" bunch of cells on the 
> Left side of the spreadsheet bump down the records below that point. When I 
> do this, though, my formulae in L to R get altered also, so every time I have 
> to add a row I need to recopy these formulae down to the bottom in order to 
> update my "X" 's. Is there a way to "freeze" these formulae so they don't 
> recalculate each time. I've dabbled with INDIRECT and OFFSET but can't get it 
> to do what I want. Basically I just want those formulae to stay the same.
> 
> Sorry to be so long winded. Thanks for any suggestions!
> 
>  
> -- 
> Stephen
0
Hitesh (22)
8/5/2005 6:16:03 PM
Try this in L1, & copy it to all the comparison cells

=IF(OFFSET(L1,0,-11)=OFFSET(L1,0,11),"","X")

"Stephen Jefferson" wrote:

> I've got a problem that I can't seem to find mentioned elsewhere. I have 
> created a spreadsheet so that I can compare the contents of 2 separate 
> databases - one an export of rows from an Access database, and the other 
> selected cells from another spreadsheet, sorted using the same criteria. 
> There are some differences between the 2 and I want to flag where the 
> different values are. I have the "database" cells in columns A to K (about 
> 9500 rows) and the "spreadsheet" cells in columns S to AD. I'll refer to 
> these as the Left side and the Right side.
> 
> In the middle, Columns L through R are used to compare and flag 
> corresponding cells from the Access side with the Excel side of the file. For 
> example, =IF(H2=X2,"","X") - will be blank if the 2 cells are equal and will 
> show an "X" if they aren't.
> 
> What happens is that I hit a record on one side that doesn't exist in the 
> other - e.g. the Right side has a record that isn't in the Left, so from that 
> point on they're out of sync. I need to add a "blank" bunch of cells on the 
> Left side of the spreadsheet bump down the records below that point. When I 
> do this, though, my formulae in L to R get altered also, so every time I have 
> to add a row I need to recopy these formulae down to the bottom in order to 
> update my "X" 's. Is there a way to "freeze" these formulae so they don't 
> recalculate each time. I've dabbled with INDIRECT and OFFSET but can't get it 
> to do what I want. Basically I just want those formulae to stay the same.
> 
> Sorry to be so long winded. Thanks for any suggestions!
> 
>  
> -- 
> Stephen
0
DukeCarey (494)
8/5/2005 6:38:03 PM
Works beautifully! Exactly what I wanted. Thanks very much!
-- 
Stephen


"Duke Carey" wrote:

> Try this in L1, & copy it to all the comparison cells
> 
> =IF(OFFSET(L1,0,-11)=OFFSET(L1,0,11),"","X")
> 
> "Stephen Jefferson" wrote:
> 
> > I've got a problem that I can't seem to find mentioned elsewhere. I have 
> > created a spreadsheet so that I can compare the contents of 2 separate 
> > databases - one an export of rows from an Access database, and the other 
> > selected cells from another spreadsheet, sorted using the same criteria. 
> > There are some differences between the 2 and I want to flag where the 
> > different values are. I have the "database" cells in columns A to K (about 
> > 9500 rows) and the "spreadsheet" cells in columns S to AD. I'll refer to 
> > these as the Left side and the Right side.
> > 
> > In the middle, Columns L through R are used to compare and flag 
> > corresponding cells from the Access side with the Excel side of the file. For 
> > example, =IF(H2=X2,"","X") - will be blank if the 2 cells are equal and will 
> > show an "X" if they aren't.
> > 
> > What happens is that I hit a record on one side that doesn't exist in the 
> > other - e.g. the Right side has a record that isn't in the Left, so from that 
> > point on they're out of sync. I need to add a "blank" bunch of cells on the 
> > Left side of the spreadsheet bump down the records below that point. When I 
> > do this, though, my formulae in L to R get altered also, so every time I have 
> > to add a row I need to recopy these formulae down to the bottom in order to 
> > update my "X" 's. Is there a way to "freeze" these formulae so they don't 
> > recalculate each time. I've dabbled with INDIRECT and OFFSET but can't get it 
> > to do what I want. Basically I just want those formulae to stay the same.
> > 
> > Sorry to be so long winded. Thanks for any suggestions!
> > 
> >  
> > -- 
> > Stephen
0
8/5/2005 8:30:03 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Calculations using empty cells
I have a spreadsheet with three columns: Current balance, withdrawals, and deposits. Current balance is determined by subtracting withdrawals and adding deposits to the balance in the line above. Suddenly I have started getting a cell entry #VALUE! in the current balance cell. A typical entry in the cell is for G43 would be: =G42-E43+F43 and the sudden new result is #VALUE. All three columns have cells formatted as numbers. HELP! On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:22:02 -0600, Hank in KC wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with three columns: Current balance, withdrawals, and > deposit...

Re: Is there a way to HIDE a row based on a value of a cell ?
Hi Reddance, Try instead: Sub Tester() Dim rng As Range Dim i As Long If LCase(Sheets("Ctrl").Range("A1").Value) _ <> "yes" Then Exit Sub End If With Sheets("ToPrint") For i = 5 To .UsedRange.Rows.Count Step 2 If Not rng Is Nothing Then Set rng = Union(rng, .Cells(i, "A")) Else Set rng = .Cells(i, "A") End If Next i End With If Not rng Is Nothing Then rng.EntireRow.Hidden = True End If ...

conditional formatting of row based on cell
I want to apply conditional formatting to a whole row based on the contents of one cell in that row. For example, if cell L2 contains the word 'sport', i want the whole of row 2 to be shaded. I'm guessing this is pretty simple, but seem to be having a bit of a mental blockage. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :) formula is =$l$2="sport" "Katherine" <katherine@katherine.com> wrote in message news:107b01c372ef$4ec59e30$a101280a@phx.gbl... > > I want to apply conditional formatting to a whole row > based on the contents of one...

Cell Values Not There ???
I'm using VBA code in Excel 2007. I am having a strange problem. The cells have content. Some of them, but not all of them, are selected from Data Validation lists (drawn from a named range). However, when I try to access their values in VBA, it says they are empty!'' For example, the simple code: Debug.Print "Cell value is: " & ActiveSheet.Cells(2, 7).Value results in the output: Cell value is: I even tried the following code, to make sure it was not a problem with the ActiveSheet reference: ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Form").Cells(2, 7)....

Help getting SheetName into a cell
I need to refer to the sheet name in a formula and can't figure out how to do it. I can't find a Function which will do this. I did discover ActiveSheet.Name but I have been unsuccessful in getting it work in a function. Specifically I have sheets named "1.a" , "1.b" , "1.c" . . . "99.a" , "99.b" , "99.c" and need to get these names into cell C3 of each sheet. The sheets may not be in order and there may be missing sheets. Thanks in advance for any help. Omar Hi You could put somthing like this in a macro or attatch ...

Last Cell
To All I was wondering if you could help me with my problem. If you have data in your worksheet and you say delete all the data in the last row, when you say F5 (Goto) "Special" and select "Last Cell" then it will always go to the data row that you have just deleted. There seems no way to get the "Last Cell" to update to where the last data is. Does anyone know to resolve this issue please. Thanks in advance. Deleting the data won't impact the "Last Cell". The "Last Cell" doesn't refer to the current data. It refers to the la...

Extend text to next cell
I am trying to get my text to run over to the next cell only in display not actual value of that cell. So if A1 says, "How now brown cow.", it should show over cells A2 and A3. However, I also need the carriage returns to be picked up. If I use the "Wrap Text" property it only shows the sentence in that cell. If I don't use it I get the [] (brackets) in place of the carriage return. Maybe you could merge those cells (A1:A3 or did you really mean A1:C1?) But be aware that merging cells causes trouble with sorting, pasting, and lots of other stuff. Format|cells|al...

Creating a list of info in A1 cell in multiple worksheets
How can I create a list of the info/contents in the A1 cell in multiple worksheets? I am trying to create a summary worksheet of the data from 90 worksheets and would like to be able to list the headers in the A1 cell vertically. 'Right click on the summary sheet tab, and paste in this macro. 'Edit where appropriate: Sub CreateSummary() 'Starting row for summary: i = 1 For Each Sheet In ThisWorkbook.Sheets If Sheet.Name <> Me.Name Then 'Control What column to place data in Me.Cells(i, "A").Value = Sheet.Range("A1").Value i = i + 1...

Inserting rows slow on large report
I have a large report I maintain with 3 data tabs and 2 report tabs, 1 for top 10 customers, about 400 rows, and another for all other customers, about 4000 rows. Every month I have to update it for any new customer/product combinations. I have optimized the formulas to the best of my abilities and gotten a full recalc time down from 3 min to 30 sec, which is acceptable. My biggest problem now is that every time I need to add a row (or delete one for that matter) it takes about 15 seconds (on the 4k row report, adding to the top 10 customers report takes 3-5 seconds), per row....

Data from non-adjacent cells as input for Linest
Hi, I would like to use data as input for Linest that is in the following cells: known y: A1 to A3, A10 to A12 known x: B1 to B3, B10 to B12 I have the feeling that this is almost answered in the following posts, but I do not understand it: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/fe4463f591797f44/4061a15313417929?lnk=gst&q=linest+#4061a15313417929 Regards, David ...

delay in displaying cell contents
Is there a simple function that can delay the display of the contents of a cell by a few seconds. I know that it can be done as VBA code but I dont know how to do it. Thanks in advance for any help. Dave Hi have a look at the Wait method in the VBA help -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Dave" <dave-rawlins@beeb.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:9995bde6.0410151425.1688ff24@posting.google.com... > Is there a simple function that can delay the display of the contents > of a cell by a few seconds. I know that it can be done as VBA code > but I dont know how...

Insert Row Under current row (with formulas/formatting)
I've got a sheet that gets appended to regularly but have to do a lot of fiddling to make sure the formatting is correct, calculated fields get added and chart series ranges collect all the data every time I add a new row. The insert (row) command seems to take care of all of this but it inserts the empty row above the current row. As I'm always appending data to the sheet, I would prefer this to be below the current row. I've tried adding a dummy row under all the data containing the formulas and formatting I need but unfortunately I get formula errors and it screws up my chart....

grouping cells to sort by only one column
Hi, New to this so please bear with me. I have a spread sheet where I am listing names in column A and othe info relating to that name in columns B and C in the two rows below th name. I then start a different name in the next row down with the info in t two rows below that, and so forth. I want to be able to add more names in the future and be able to sor all of this by column A only. The problem I am having is the info i the other columns moves. I need it to somehow attatch and stay put wit it's corisponding name without moving. In other words how do I make everything from A1 to ...

How do I link many cells to one particular cell? #2
I am trying to link multiple cells to one particular cell and can't seem to do it. I want the multiple cells not just to have the same information but be connected to the same cell. I want multiple cells to take the information from ex. cell D4. So everytime i change cell D4 every cell that is linked to it changes. Do I have to input =D4 into every single cell that I want to link or is there an easy way to mass link? enter =$D$4 in one cell and copy it to the rest. The $ keeps the address from changing relatively. Are the cells on the same worksheet? If yes, you could select...

Unlocking Cells
Hi, I'd like to know if there's a simple way to unlock or lock cells. I'm not sure if "Lock" is the correct term here. For example, if you have a formula that has C$14. Is there an easy way to unlock (remove the "$") from the formula or to ad it without manually doing it? Thanks for your help! Lisa You can use a macro to change the reference style (absolute vs relative), but you can also do it manually. Select the portion of the formula (just a single cell reference or the entire formula if you want) and hit the F4 key to cycle through all 4 options. lj ...

How to fill cell with two combobox values?
I am looking for VB code for command button that fills two combo box values and a toggle value (Y/N) behind each other in one cell. Bart Excel 2003 ...

How do I restore the cell content window on my toobar?
tools options view ........formula bar -- Greetings from New Zealand Bill K "hutchc" <hutchc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A53F690-97D4-43D6-A458-6AA82B95F575@microsoft.com... > From the View menu, choose Formula Bar hutchc wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

How to quote cells when "IF" word is involved
On Sheet1, I have a data set (C1:C100) based on the input of cell A1. When A1 has various method choices,say,"method 1","method 2","method 3", each cell in the data set will have a new value accordingly. (=IF(A1="method 1",formula1,IF(A1="method 2",formula2,formula3)) I want to quote those three data sets on Sheet2. A lousy way is I could just duplicate Sheet1, set A1 to different value and quote data sets from different sheets. Is it possible to quote three data sets simultaneously from Sheet1? Thanks, Ming Perhaps use a 2 variable data t...

Insert string into a Cell ?
Hi, How do I insert string into a cell ? Dim myString As string myString = "abcd" shp.CellsSRC(visSectionProp, visRowProp, visCustPropsValue) = myString 'This will yield with type mismatch error. Thanks. Hello m, You've got a reference to the cell but not the property of the cell object. So if you want to set the cell's formula you need to use that property. Also, as you're adding a string you need to wrap it up in quotes (note two double quotes in a row get evaluated as a single set of quotes). Have a go with the following: shp.CellsSRC(visSectionProp, ...

Dividing a cell in Excel 2000
I am embarrassed to ask, but here goes. About a year ago some of you on this forum explained how I can divide a cell without creating a whole new row. I can't remember how I did it. With a diagonal line? A horizontal line? A vertical line? Doesn't really matter; I just want to enter a number on each side of the divide. Much appreciation, Lois You can always find previous posts in the archives. Just enter your name or email address in the author field at http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*excel* to see your posts and any replies. You might take ...

Two cells divided into next cell
Hope this makes sense. I have F column that totals down to F16. Then I have a total on D16. I need both totals to be divided and show up on G16. Every cell has $ Amts, but the only cells not totaled down the row are E,G and J. So G16 is blank. Is this possible to do and If so how. I don't even know the formula to Divide and I need this to automatically happen every time I Insert the Amts in the cells. Please help In G16: =D16/F16 "Day" <Day@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62C49FCC-273A-425B-9EEF-DCF2109A0DD9@microsoft.com... > > ...

Macro to copy cell down
I want to create a macro that will copy the cell above to the active cell. OR the built-in key that will do that tenbob@optonline.net Bob A few seconds with the macro recorder set to "Relative Reference" gave me this. Sub Macro1() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 11/3/2003 by Gord Dibben ' ' Selection.Copy ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Range("A1").Select ActiveSheet.Paste Application.CutCopyMode = False End Sub Gord Dibben XL2002 On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 04:26:28 GMT, Bob K. <tenbob@optonline.net> wrote: >I want to create a mac...

get data form cells sequentially
Hi there, I have a spreadsheet i am creating which is giving me some amount o hassle!!! I'm sure it is possible to do this but i just cant figure ou how:- I have one worksheet which has many copies of the same table, eac table is consistantly ontop of the other i.e. first table uses cells A - G10 (a rectangle of cells). The dates i am trying to use are in a pattern of a nine row seperatio i.e. first date is in cell G2, next one is G11, next one G20, and s on. I need to find out how i can make a formula which i could copy whic would grab the date out of these cells in sequence for pl...

Nonadjacent Cell Text Overflow
Is there a way to merge nonadjacent cells for text overflow. What I' trying to do is have text entered into a row of merged cells(e.g. Row A1:F1) but if the text is more than the cells can contain to overflo into another nonadjacent row of merged cells(Row3 A1:F1). Thanks fo any help with this -- Db171 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Db1712's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1591 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27498 ...

Filter certain cells
Is it possible to only filter certain cells in excel? I am trying to create a spread sheet that has seperate info in certain cells. I would like to be able to filter cells A1:M114 but not cells P1:T30. can this be done? If you mean you want to filter the first range and still see all of P1:T30, then no, not possible. If you don't want them filtered (aka, treated as same entries in a single row) perhaps you can move that info to another row/sheet? -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Mike W" wrote: > I...