Macro warning with no macros

I have a workbook that when I try to open it I get the warning tellin
me it contains macros and asking whether I want to Enable or Disabl
them.  I put no macros, no VB scripts, nothing at all in the workboo
other than standard Excel formulas and some charts.  I developed it i
Excel 2002, SP-2, but have moved it back and forth between tw
computers, the other which has Excel 97.  Regardless of whether
Enable or Disable or change the security settings so as not to get th
warning, once the workbook is open even if I go t
Tools-Macro-Macros... it lists no macros.

How can I find out what's causing the Macros warning and get rid o
it?

Thanks,
Dann

Double check to make sure that there aren't any buttons (with Visual
Basic programs attached).

---

One possibility is tha you need to delete any empty modules that may have housed
macros at some point.

Hit ALT+F11 and this will open the VBE (Visual Basic Editor)
Top left you will hopefully see an explorer style pane.  Within this pane you
need to search for
your workbook's name, and when you find it you may need to click on the + to
expand it.  Within
that you should see the following:-

VBAProject(Your_Filename)
   Microsoft Excel Objects
        Sheet1(Sheet1)
        Sheet2(Sheet2)
        Sheet3(Sheet3)
        ThisWorkbook
   Modules
        Module1
        Module2
        etc etc (You may have just 1 of these)

If you have named your sheets then those names will appear in the brackets above
as opposed to
what you see at the moment in my note.

Right click on the modules and select remove.  When prompted with a question re
exporting, just
hit no.  Then hit File / Close and return to Microsoft Excel and save the file.

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"dannycombs >" <<dannycombs.11um8l@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a workbook that when I try to open it I get the warning telling
> me it contains macros and asking whether I want to Enable or Disable
> them.  I put no macros, no VB scripts, nothing at all in the workbook
> other than standard Excel formulas and some charts.  I developed it in
> Excel 2002, SP-2, but have moved it back and forth between two
> computers, the other which has Excel 97.  Regardless of whether I
> Enable or Disable or change the security settings so as not to get the
> warning, once the workbook is open even if I go to
> Tools-Macro-Macros... it lists no macros.
>
> How can I find out what's causing the Macros warning and get rid of
> it?
>
> Thanks,
> Danny
>

> ---

---

ken.wright (2489)
2/19/2004 1:04:36 AM
No buttons.  Did check that.

In the VB Editor my workbook does appear with all the worksheet
exactly as you describe.  No modules are listed though, only th
worksheets including two indepent chart worksheets that are containe
in my workbook.

There are five other VBA projects as well including
FUNCRES.XLA
HTML.XLA
LOOKUP.XLA
PROCDB.XLA
SOLVER.XLA

Solver and Lookup I imagine are there just because I chose those men
items to investigate what they were and to see if they could possibl
be related during my troubleshooting.

Thanks.  Other toughts?
Dann

OK, try double clicking each of the sheets you can see in the VBE as well as the
ThisWorkbook sheet, and check that you don't even have so much as a space in
there.  Also, as Danny siggested, see if you have any buttons on the sheets that
contain code.

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"dannycombs >" <<dannycombs.11unbs@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> No buttons.  Did check that.
>
> In the VB Editor my workbook does appear with all the worksheets
> exactly as you describe.  No modules are listed though, only the
> worksheets including two indepent chart worksheets that are contained
> in my workbook.
>
> There are five other VBA projects as well including
> FUNCRES.XLA
> HTML.XLA
> LOOKUP.XLA
> PROCDB.XLA
> SOLVER.XLA
>
> Solver and Lookup I imagine are there just because I chose those menu
> items to investigate what they were and to see if they could possibly
> be related during my troubleshooting.
>
> Thanks.  Other toughts?
> Danny
>

> ---

---

ken.wright (2489)
2/19/2004 8:16:42 AM
Bingo!

One of the worksheets windows in the VBE contained the following.

---------------------------------
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)

End Sub
---------------------------------

Without asking you to give me a free tutorial on VB can you tell m
what that does?  Am I safe to just go ahead and delete it?
Thanks,
Dann

If it's just what you've put there, not an awful lot  :-)  A worksheet_selection
change is an event that can be trapped, and a routine run to do some action, eg,
when someone clicks on a cell and enters something, you may have a routine run
that turns it to Uppercase, or changes the font or background colour depending
on the value entered etc.  You haven't actually got any code for anything to
happen, so you should be safe in deleting it.  If there were any code in it, or
it was meant to do something, it would be doing it to that sheet.

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"dannycombs >" <<dannycombs.11vymj@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Bingo!
>
> One of the worksheets windows in the VBE contained the following.
>
> ---------------------------------
> Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
>
> End Sub
> ---------------------------------
>
> Without asking you to give me a free tutorial on VB can you tell me
> what that does?  Am I safe to just go ahead and delete it?
> Thanks,
> Danny
>

> ---

---

ken.wright (2489)
2/19/2004 8:17:51 PM
Thanks much.  That solved my problem.  Not sure how it got there but
it's fixed now.
Danny

---

Macro to open all files in one particular directory
Hi, I would like to be able to have a macro that would automatically open ALL the files in one particular directory. Say I have various directories, each with 10 files of different names: (the number of files in each directory can vary) C:\temp\200410\ C:\temp\200411\ C:\temp\200412\ In my file named OPENFILES.xls, in cell A1 of sheet1, I would like to input the directory name (say 200411), and then run a macro that would open each file of that particular directory, regardless of their name. I tried to record a macro, but it listed the individual files to open,. The problem is that the n...

This one is tricky....Macro to save file as cell value x in direct
Hi Two cells A1 & B2 I am trying to create a Macro to attach to a button to Save an .xls as "A1".xls in directory R:/SALES/Team 318/"B2" instead of typing it in all of the time.... Any helpers? Past attempts at this have failed.....the winner will get a big MVP vote! Absolute respect Andy Try something like: Sub Test() Dim mypath As String Dim sfile As Range, sdir As Range mypath = "R:\SALES\Team 318\" Set sfile = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1") Set sdir = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B2") ThisWorkbook.SaveAs Filen...

Macro entering data into a protected Cell??
I'm trying to create a time sheet and I want to have a macro insert the current time into a protected cell (to stop people editing the time manually) Is this possible?? Any tips/hints See your other thread -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl <chortler@fetchmail.co.uk> wrote in message news:1121246433.314393.17210@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com... > I'm trying to create a time sheet and I want to have a macro insert the > current time into a protected cell (to stop people editing the time > manually) > Is this possible?? Any tips/hints > ...

Macro-Return Blank Cell
I am creating an Invoice by the help of macro where I want to clear all the data from unlock cell after entering the buttom named NEXT or OK.So I could enter fresh data in the same unlock cell. How it possible? Rdgs...Sudipta Sub setup() Dim cel As Range, r As Range For Each r In ActiveSheet.UsedRange If r.Locked Then Else If cel Is Nothing Then Set cel = r Else Set cel = Union(cel, r) End If End If Next If cel Is Nothing Then Else cel.Clear End If End Sub -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200909 ...

Redefining a table range with a macro
Hello, I need help creating code to redefine a table within a macro. I used the macro recorder to creata a table with the same name but to point to another locations. ActiveWorkbook.Names("Table1").Delete ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="Table1", RefersToR1C1:= _ "='Sheet1'!R3C28:R12C37" How do I make this dynamic, so the starting point, #of rows and # of columns are defined by variables? Help is much appreciated. Regards, OMER On May 21, 4:57=A0pm, OMER <O...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > ...

macros for calculating data after inserting row #2
hi~~ I am working on a spreadsheet where I search through row by row, an if the data in the Column B of that particular row is equivalent to th data in the Column B of another row is the same, I add the data in th Column W of the rows together. Then, I divide the number by the coun of how many rows are the same. I found a way to do something simila to this by using =SUM(w3:w9)/rows(w3:w9), but that only works when insert rows within the row ranges, assuming that the data in Column of rows 3 through 9 are the same. If I insert a row after row 9 tha has the same value as the others(column ...

Macro help
Hi all, is there a way to copy the name a user inputs (say in cell ref A1) and create a new worksheet within my current workbook with this 'name' using a macro ??. ie the user inputs Bloggs,Joe into cell ref A1, and once the macro is selected a new worksheet is created with the 'tab' now changed to Bloggs,Joe - instead of Sheet1, Sheet2 etc etc thanks PSA I'm a novice -so sorry if this is simple One way: Sub NewSheet() Dim x As Worksheet Set x = ActiveSheet Sheets.Add ActiveSheet.Name = x.Range("A1") End Sub -- tj "Anthony" wrote: ...

Macro to insert blank lines
I wonder if anyone already has a macro for the following operation I perform quite often please? I insert blank lines in a long table whenever a particular column changes. A typical example is in a list containing a Year column, sorted by Year. It improves readability to add a blank line between the 1972 and 1973 sections, 1973 and 1974...etc. -- Terry, West Sussex, UK try Sub InsertRow() For i = cells(rows.count,"a").End(xlUp).Row To 2 Step -1 If Cells(i, 1).Value <> Cells(i - 1, 1).Value Then Rows(i).Insert End If Next End Sub -- Don Gui...

How do I create Macro Button using Word 2003
In a nut shell I have got an exam coming up but never done Macros as I was ill at the time and we have to edit a text using macro have done that in practice, but then we have to create a button using macro when I attempt it I get invalid name procedure box on my screen. You have posted in an end user newsgroup. You'll have more luck getting the answer you need if you post to one of the microsoft.public.word.vba hierarchy of NGs. In the Microsoft Communities portal from which you're posting, look for the Word discussion group called "Programming." -- Suzann...

Macro that concatenates content from cells if given keyword is found
Hello guys ! Here is what i want from a macro In cells from B column i have from time to time a keyword . The macro should find that keyword , to concatenate text from that cell with the text from coresponding cell in C column and put the result in D column beginning with the first cell . Here is an example : Keyword = "mother" B1 = mother C1 = and B4 = daddy C4 = uncle B6 = mother C6 = goes B8 = mother C8 = is B10 = sister C10= and B20 = mother C20 = was The result should be : D1 = mother and D2 = Mother goes D3 = mother is D4 = mother was ...

can't change or add a macro
Hi all, When I change anything (even the slightest change) in any macro in any of the modules of Normal or when I add a new macro, next time I can't open Word. Then I have to delete normal.dot and put in a copy of the normal.dot as it was before I made a change. Very annoying and I have no idea what causes this phenomenon. What causes this problem and how can I solve it (once and for all)? I am looking forward to your advice. Jack Sons The Netherlands See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm It is possible that your default normal.dot is corrupt....

Updating Charts with Macro
I have set up my charts so that i can update them automatically by putting the appropriate data in the fields. I would now like to be able to update them using a macro, but cant seem to get it to automatically go to the next blank cell to put in the date, infor etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated..Thank you in advance -- Chris - You haven't really given enough information to describe your requirement. You could use dynamic ranges, with offset, index, or indirect worksheet functions, and bypass the macros, too. See the few examples and many links here: http://www.geocitie...

Running an Excel Macro from VC++
Hi, I use Excel Automation from VC++. I would like to run a macro already stored in Excel on the workbook that I just created. I was thinking that _Application::Run() would do it but it doesnt' seem to find my macro. The macro is stored under the name PERSO.XLS!Macro1. Run doesn't seem to find it. Even if I user Macro1 as an argument, I still can't run this macro. Any ideas why ? Cheers. ...

Macro for Entering Data and Time in Tasks Notes
Hi, I have a user that uses the notes section in tasks as a journal of activities for that task. Is there a shortcut or macro to quickly insert the date and time in that field? Thanks for any tips. kkern@_____ wrote: > Hi, > I have a user that uses the notes section in tasks as a journal of > activities for that task. Is there a shortcut or macro to quickly > insert the date and time in that field? Thanks for any tips. Check out http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook/Insert-Date-Time.asp Note - posting your valid e-mail address in a newsgroup post, or in your news account sett...

Macro and Scheduled Task Prompt
I have created a macro that deletes 2 tables and replaces both tables using a build table query. I have used the SetWarning action (No) before and after each delete or build. I am using the macro in a sheduled task.When the scheduled task statrts, everything appears fine, but then this prompt appears:Table 'TempMSysAccessObjects' already existsIf I click on the OK prompt, the process continues.Any ideas where this prompt is coming from and how to get rid of it? Thanks,Zoe...

ActiveCell.Offset for event macro
I need to move from the active cell in any row to the cell in column 6 of the same row. I know how to use ActiveCell.Offset to move a fixed number of rows and columns. But I can't figure out how to handle a relative row and absolute column situtation. What I need is... ActiveCell.Offset(0,"however many cells there are between the column I'm in and column 6) Do I need to create a variable to calculate the number of cells, or is there a simpler way? Thank you! ActiveCell.Offset(0,6 - ActiveCell.Column) ActiveCell.Offset(0,6 - ActiveCell.Column) activesheet.cell...

Macro to Protect workbook using a password #2
I know this would be a little unorthodox, but I currently have a macro that will unprotect a workbook including a password. The line is as follows: ActiveWorkbook.Unprotect (password) I also want a macro that will do just the opposite, including the password. Is this possible? I've tried the following with no luck. ActiveWorkbook.Protect (password), Structure:=True, Windows:=True You got two replies when to your identical post on Tuesday. If they weren't suitable, please explain why not. If you didn't see them, you can always see your posts and any replies using the Go...

macros are disabled message but macro security is low
I just installed Office 2003 and am trying to record/run macros in an Excel worksheet. I can record a macro, but when I open Tools/Macro/Macros..., the Edit, Create, Delete, & Options buttons are grayed out. The Run and Step Into buttons are active, but when either is clicked, a message "Macros are disabled because the security level is set to high......" is displayed. The secruity level is NOT set to high, however. I have tried every setting from high to low, with no effect on the error message. Any help would be appreciated. This is the first time I have tried to us...

show warning when a calculated total<0
How can I detect the condition that occurs when a calculated field becones negative? I would like to issue a warning message at that time. Thanks, Goldar, That's enough information to give a specific solution... Are you talking about a form, or a query, or a report? What's the calculation? Describe the value/s that constitute the calculation. Please... more info... Essentially though... what event/s would effect/change that calculation value? Use those events to trigger an evaluation of the new value, and respond accordingly. -- ...

Macro Editor disabled
I created a macro to delete attachments on my laptop. I also had rules referring to scripts. Coming back to the office and logging on to the network I got a question (kind of like) whether the SERVER or the CLIENT should have priority to run rules. I think I selected CLIENT. However, it now appears that the vba project is not available anymore and even worse, the macro editor is disabled. I checked if vba was disabled under Disabled-Items list but it doesn't show up. Any suggestions would be appriciated. Thanks In the mean time I found out that the problem has to do with...

Macro to open another user's Inbox
I'm trying to find code to create a macro to open another user's mailbox which I have access to. Please can you help? Thanks! The easiest and most complete way would be to add that mailbox to your Outlook profile so it gets opened as soon as you open Outlook. That's a non-code solution. If you just want to get a specific default folder open you should look at the Object Browser help on NameSpace.GetSharedDefaultFolder(). -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007. Reminder Manager, Extended Reminde...

German government warns against using MS Explorer
Now this must be the news of 2010 After nearly 10 years of unlimited patches, hotfixes and service Packs, IE is still a weak link in recent attacks on Google's systems. Either M$ is now threatened by Googles rise to prominence or IE is completely rubbish. Either way we should start taking instructions from the German government if this article is anything to go by. <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8463516.stm> Is google's search engine more powerful than M$ Bing? > Now this must be the news of 2010 > and 2011....and 2012.... IE problem...

Macro: Find matching DATA, copy correspondently values into another list
Okey guys - please advise me on this. (There was unfortunately no quick response to my latest problem - and I begun to swim... However - that brought me out on deep VBA-water...again - and now need a life buoy (metaphorical spoken)). The core of my macro problem is to look for all the values in column A (Range A5:A??) in Sheet "BOARD" (not bored!!!) that match values in another list placed in column A in sheet "LIST". When finding the match I will copy correspondent celle.value in column D / sheet "BOARD" into column B in sheet "LIST" - this w...

Excel not warning if another user has the workbook open
hi everyone, Normally Excel will warn users on my network if another user has already opened the workbook that they are trying to open. There are two or three workbooks that Excel stopped warning the user's about other users having them opened. I have checked "Read Only Recommended" under Tools -> Options -> Security Tab, which has solved the problem, ie users once again receive the warning if someone else has already opened the file however they are now also warned when opening the file that they should preferably open the file as Read Only. How do I configure these wo...

Macro recorder
Hello Group, My macro recorder toolbar has disappeared? Not the VB toolbar. I select record macro from the tools menu and the recorder toolbar no longer appears although it is recording. I like having this visible just for a reminder. Any ideas? Thanks Tony Try clicking with your right mouse-button on a toolbar or in the toolbar area. That will bring up a list of all the toolbars. The one you're looking for is called "stop recording," and if it doesn't have a checkmark next to it, it won't show. You can click it in the list to place a checkmark and make it visible. ...