Macro warning with no macros

I have a workbook that when I try to open it I get the warning tellin
me it contains macros and asking whether I want to Enable or Disabl
them.  I put no macros, no VB scripts, nothing at all in the workboo
other than standard Excel formulas and some charts.  I developed it i
Excel 2002, SP-2, but have moved it back and forth between tw
computers, the other which has Excel 97.  Regardless of whether
Enable or Disable or change the security settings so as not to get th
warning, once the workbook is open even if I go t
Tools-Macro-Macros... it lists no macros.

How can I find out what's causing the Macros warning and get rid o
it?

Thanks,
Dann

Double check to make sure that there aren't any buttons (with Visual
Basic programs attached).

---

One possibility is tha you need to delete any empty modules that may have housed
macros at some point.

Hit ALT+F11 and this will open the VBE (Visual Basic Editor)
Top left you will hopefully see an explorer style pane.  Within this pane you
need to search for
your workbook's name, and when you find it you may need to click on the + to
expand it.  Within
that you should see the following:-

VBAProject(Your_Filename)
   Microsoft Excel Objects
        Sheet1(Sheet1)
        Sheet2(Sheet2)
        Sheet3(Sheet3)
        ThisWorkbook
   Modules
        Module1
        Module2
        etc etc (You may have just 1 of these)

If you have named your sheets then those names will appear in the brackets above
as opposed to
what you see at the moment in my note.

Right click on the modules and select remove.  When prompted with a question re
exporting, just
hit no.  Then hit File / Close and return to Microsoft Excel and save the file.

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"dannycombs >" <<dannycombs.11um8l@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> I have a workbook that when I try to open it I get the warning telling
> me it contains macros and asking whether I want to Enable or Disable
> them.  I put no macros, no VB scripts, nothing at all in the workbook
> other than standard Excel formulas and some charts.  I developed it in
> Excel 2002, SP-2, but have moved it back and forth between two
> computers, the other which has Excel 97.  Regardless of whether I
> Enable or Disable or change the security settings so as not to get the
> warning, once the workbook is open even if I go to
> Tools-Macro-Macros... it lists no macros.
>
> How can I find out what's causing the Macros warning and get rid of
> it?
>
> Thanks,
> Danny
>

> ---

---

ken.wright (2489)
2/19/2004 1:04:36 AM
No buttons.  Did check that.

In the VB Editor my workbook does appear with all the worksheet
exactly as you describe.  No modules are listed though, only th
worksheets including two indepent chart worksheets that are containe
in my workbook.

There are five other VBA projects as well including
FUNCRES.XLA
HTML.XLA
LOOKUP.XLA
PROCDB.XLA
SOLVER.XLA

Solver and Lookup I imagine are there just because I chose those men
items to investigate what they were and to see if they could possibl
be related during my troubleshooting.

Thanks.  Other toughts?
Dann

OK, try double clicking each of the sheets you can see in the VBE as well as the
ThisWorkbook sheet, and check that you don't even have so much as a space in
there.  Also, as Danny siggested, see if you have any buttons on the sheets that
contain code.

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"dannycombs >" <<dannycombs.11unbs@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> No buttons.  Did check that.
>
> In the VB Editor my workbook does appear with all the worksheets
> exactly as you describe.  No modules are listed though, only the
> worksheets including two indepent chart worksheets that are contained
> in my workbook.
>
> There are five other VBA projects as well including
> FUNCRES.XLA
> HTML.XLA
> LOOKUP.XLA
> PROCDB.XLA
> SOLVER.XLA
>
> Solver and Lookup I imagine are there just because I chose those menu
> items to investigate what they were and to see if they could possibly
> be related during my troubleshooting.
>
> Thanks.  Other toughts?
> Danny
>

> ---

---

ken.wright (2489)
2/19/2004 8:16:42 AM
Bingo!

One of the worksheets windows in the VBE contained the following.

---------------------------------
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)

End Sub
---------------------------------

Without asking you to give me a free tutorial on VB can you tell m
what that does?  Am I safe to just go ahead and delete it?
Thanks,
Dann

If it's just what you've put there, not an awful lot  :-)  A worksheet_selection
change is an event that can be trapped, and a routine run to do some action, eg,
when someone clicks on a cell and enters something, you may have a routine run
that turns it to Uppercase, or changes the font or background colour depending
on the value entered etc.  You haven't actually got any code for anything to
happen, so you should be safe in deleting it.  If there were any code in it, or
it was meant to do something, it would be doing it to that sheet.

--
Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"dannycombs >" <<dannycombs.11vymj@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Bingo!
>
> One of the worksheets windows in the VBE contained the following.
>
> ---------------------------------
> Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
>
> End Sub
> ---------------------------------
>
> Without asking you to give me a free tutorial on VB can you tell me
> what that does?  Am I safe to just go ahead and delete it?
> Thanks,
> Danny
>

> ---

---

ken.wright (2489)
2/19/2004 8:17:51 PM
Thanks much.  That solved my problem.  Not sure how it got there but
it's fixed now.
Danny

---

How to run a Macro in MS Publisher from DOS command prompt?
Publisher 2003 with XP Prof. I am trying to run my macro as mspub.exe "document.pub" /mMyMacro where "MyMacro" is my macro but instead of running it, it's just MS Publisher opening "document.pub" file. How can I make it open the macro (this is for automate purposes). btw: my macro security setting are set to "low". Thanks joe1977@tlen.pl wrote: > Publisher 2003 with XP Prof. > I am trying to run my macro as mspub.exe "document.pub" /mMyMacro > where "MyMacro" is my macro but instead of running it, it's just MS >...

Macro help need with worksheet unprotect/protect and closing an externally referenced file...
Hi, I have the following macro that will shell out and open another spreadsheet to bring some data back into my workbook. Somehow, I need this macro to close that externally referenced file (without saving) once it opens it, manipulates some data and copies it to bring back into my workbook. Everything works now except the closing part. The second part of my problem is that one of the sheets in this workbook is protected because of a macro button I have on that sheet. It's protected without a password. I need to get the protection to temporarily be turned off to do some things and the...

Protecting while still allowing macros to run
Hi, I have a spreadsheet with macros that update formulas in cells. Is there any way of protecting the worksheet while still allowing the user to run the macros. Hi Tammy, If you use VBA to turn on protection you can look in the help system for the arguments for Protect and you will find one called UserInterfaceOnly:=True which allows the macro to run in a protected workbook, but doesn't allow users to modify stuff manually. Cheers, Shane Devenshire "Tammy" <Tammy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1D21508D-2564-4AFB-AB73-98C7ABC27A7C@microsoft.com...

Macros #7
I currently have a workbook that has 10 worksheets. Nine of the 10 worksheets are brought in from another application. The 10th worksheet is added at the beginning as a summary worksheet for the other 9. At this time someone has created a macro to look in column H of worksheets 2 - 10 (may not always be 10 worksheets, could be more, could be less) for a value of 1.00 and if it exists to delete that row. While this works great, it has to be manually applied to all 9 worksheets in the workbook. Is there a way to get the macro to run for all worksheets except the first one? Thanks in...

running macros in excel
Does anyone know if I can run a macro automatically when I open the spreadsheet ? thanks. Call the macro Auto_Open, or add your code to the Workbook_Open event. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "bobuk" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:fbb201c3f219$2e99ee50$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if I can run a macro automatically when I > open the spreadsheet ? thanks. ...

Macros upon opening excel
I have a problem, I have a worksheet that I created and it worked fine and when you opened it it opened normally. I recently had to protect some of the cells so people wouldnt mess with my formulas and now when I open the worksheet it always asks to enable or disable the macros but I do not have any macros made. Is there something I am missing? Thanks in advance. Upload files to see. <angela.gay@gmail.com> ??????:026394a2-3c02-4066-988a-0d69e82a740e@13g2000yql.googlegroups.com... >I have a problem, I have a worksheet that I created and it worked fine > and when you opened it it ...

(2007) Excel macro blocks Outlook???
Why does a long running macro in Excel 2007 block Outlook??? (No, the macro doesn't access Outlook in any way. It does use ADO to access a database). I've noticed similar things on several occassions... where one Office 2007 App will block another (for no reason). God I hate Office 2007. -- -C. Moya www.cmoya.com Blocks Outlook in what way? From starting up? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more ----- "C. Moya" <cmm@nospam.com> wrote in mess...

macro trouble
hi i have recorded a macro for my workbook to cut paste data however what i have observed is that the procedure is than some how rough when is pasteing and coming back to the last sheet. may i know how to get it done very smoothly without shaken. here is the code Sub Transfer_() ' ' Transfer_ Macro ' ' Range("Form").Select Selection.Copy Sheets("Sales ").Select Range("Sales[[#Headers],[PRODUCT ID ]]").Select Selection.End(xlDown).Select ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Range("Sales[[#Headers],[PRODUCT ID ...

Macro to save file using vlookup...
Here's what I'm trying to do... I want a macro that will take a date value from a cell (say B2 on sheet1) and compare it to a list of closing dates (month's end closing). It needs to then make folders for the year and month (if they don't already exist) and save the file in that folder. The sheet with the closing dates is setup like this: Month Ending Fiscal Year November 11/28/04 2005 December 12/31/04 2005 And so on... Thanks for the help up front! ...

Missing attachment warning
Outlook should have it built in so that if the word 'attached' or 'attachment' is in the text, a warning message should tell you if an attachment is missing before allowing you to send it. The first time this happens you should be given the option to ignore this funcionality in future. Having the warning would save the hassle (an sometimes embarrasment) of having to follow up an email when attchments have been missed off. It happens all the time where I work... Cheers, Paul ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft resp...

Macro to change view of sheets
I have a workbook with about 85 sheets happen that we have to change the view from Normal to Page break preview wvery month, I could record a macro (with the recorder), page by page and it works, but could somebody help me to get a condensed macro, because I have to set another macro to changed them back to Normal. Thanks for your help. Fernando One way: Public Sub ToggleViews() Dim wkSht As Worksheet Dim nView As Long Dim sOldActive As String With Application .ScreenUpdating = False .EnableEvents = False End Wi...

Macro to add numbers to create combinations that equal certain amo
Thank you for your assistance. I receive a list of numbers, usually over one hundred items. I need to find out which amounts will add up to a given total. How would I create a macro to do this? Is there already an Excel function to do this that I have not found? It would need to work with currency. Ex: 9, 12, 7, 4, 15, 8, 10, 3 total needed 18 Solution 8+10; 3+15 Lauren, With a hundred different items, there are over 2^100 possible ways to combine them. You would need a supercomputer - or maybe even multiple supercomputers. If you had fewer than 25, you could do it. HTH, Bernie...

Where is the macro?
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel A form field executes a macro upon exiting the field. The macro works as programmed. However, I now want to edit it and cannot find it on the dropdown list of macros. I do not recall if I saved it with the document or in a re-named template (or in Normal.dot). <br><br>Ron You probably saved it as "Private", in which case the only way to find it would be to use Find in the VB Editor to look for the name. It won't appear in any list. Cheers On 29/01/10 1:24 AM, in article 59bb1c2...

How to use Windows command within Excel macros
Hi, I want to select a bunch of text data separated by commas from a website, use Windows copy command to copy and paste it into a worksheet in Notepad and save it as a text file. How can I do that? That's all. In case you want to know further, I then can open the text file within Excel as a comma delimited data and manipulate it as much as I like. Thanks for any help. TIA Tom Hi Tom --From 'Insert' menu select 'Object' --Select 'Word Pad Document' --Select 'Display As Icon' if you want.. --Edit,save etc; as you want -- ...

Change Data Type using a Macro
How do I change a table data type using a macro? Specifically I want to change a data type from text to numeric. Using a macro? not sure that you can. Using VBA? You can do the following: - Rename the "Old" field - Add a New field of the new type to the desired table - Copy data from Old field to New field - Delete old field That's what Access does under the hood when you change a field's data type, *if* there is available disk space. Since it all this is under the hood the user may be under the impression you can simply "change" a field's ...

OT Warning re CA Antivirus on Windows 7
CA Antivirus 8.x will install normally and appear to function on Windows 7, but it will not actually update anything (signature files, drivers, etc.). There is apparently a patch available - make sure you read the Readme file from the download at https://support.ca.com/irj/portal/anonymous/phpsupcontent?contentID=220003. I can't comment on if this patch works or how well - I'm installing Forefront Client Security on the Win7 machines instead. Thanks. -- Allan Williams Dave Nickason [SBS MVP] wrote: > CA Antivirus 8.x will install normally and appear ...

Print a list of Excel macros
I would like to know how to print a list of my Excel macros that includes the shortcut keys. Thank you! ...

Removing the Disable/Enable Macros screen?
Is it possible to remove the Disable/Enable Macros screen when document loads ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Alan, You can't disable the macro warning for a document. If you could, then any self-respecting virus would do exactly that. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Alan T" <Alan.T.x0eqn@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Alan.T.x0eqn@excelforum-nospam....

Run a macro to copy selective items
I receive daily several lists of part orders from the customer in Excel file that I do not have any control of. In the Excel file: Column A contents catergory 1 to 100 Column B contents items descriptions of each catergory (about 20 different items per catergory) Column C contents quantities of each item that are changed daily. How can I run a macro that will copy from the customer Excel file and paste only certain catergories within my department (i.g catergory 1 -20) and ignore the rests. Appreciate for any of your help Chris -- chrisdtran -------------------------------------------...

How do you do the following using VBA macro automatically?
Hi all, I would like to have the following run every time when the Excel 2003 sheet is opened: so I am going to put the VBA macro into AUTO_RUN function... Now when the Excel 2003 file is opened, I need the following: 1. refresh/recalculate all the sheets in the Excel 2003 file; 2. save all the sheets; 3. close out the file. Please help me translate these into VBA/MACRO... thanks a lot! Excel has no AUTO_RUN function. Did you mean Auto_Open? I would put this code into Thisworkbook Module. Private Sub Workbook_Open() Application.Calculate With ThisWorkb...

AppleScript warning
Hi, scripts written for older versions (especially X) may not work unchanged with 2008. I recommend using Script Editor to save all of your scripts as plain text files before even installing Office 2008! Apparently even if older versions are still on your hard drive 2008 takes precedence in such a way that Script Editor is no longer able to decompile script files using old terminology into readable code. -- Tobias Weber ...

Macros -- Why not implement them in Store Operations Manager?
Macros are apparently only intended to work in Store Operations POS. It would make initial data loading and setup much better is they worked in Store Operations Manager. Thanks Kent Smith ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Busines...

Money 2006 Warnings
Have been getting warnings (from Microsoft) that I should upgrade Money 2006 by 1 September 2006. If I do nothing will there be dire consequences? I.e., will I be denied access? The upgrade warning is not at all clear about this. Alexm In microsoft.public.money, Alexm wrote: >Have been getting warnings (from Microsoft) that I should upgrade >Money 2006 by 1 September 2006. If I do nothing will there be dire >consequences? I.e., will I be denied access? The upgrade warning is >not at all clear about this. You will not be denied access to your file. You will be able to enter ...

Running a report using a macro
Hi there I'm hoping someone can help me with this... I'm wanting to run a report from a worksheet that has around 15000 lines of data, based on two criteria. I have tried using Autofilter, but my computer keeps crashing. The report I'd like to run is based on a particular month. So say in the reporting worksheet (called Report) if I type in the month I'm interested in, in say cell A1, and have a button to press with the macro behind it, then the Macro would look at the data worksheet (called Data) and find all the records relevant to that particular month. (Th...

VBA macro & key bind to override Ctrl-D deletion of journal items
When I work with Journal entries, I have the timer running, make notes, and frequently press Ctrl-S to save. However, slippery fingers often hit Ctrl-D instead, which deletes the item (I'm not sure if the even updates the time or the notes). When that happens, I go hunting in the Delete bin to fish it back out and resume. It is, how shall I say it...nonideal. I've posted about this in: http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.outlook/browse_frm/thread/f938c56cbe4ddace http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.outlook.general/browse_frm/thread/834f879723d007cb ...