Macro to Protect workbook using a password #2

I know this would be a little unorthodox, but I currently have a macro that
will unprotect a workbook including a password.  The line is as follows:

ActiveWorkbook.Unprotect (password)

I also want a macro that will do just the opposite, including the password.
Is this possible?  I've tried the following with no luck.

ActiveWorkbook.Protect (password), Structure:=True, Windows:=True

0
pclive (112)

You got two replies when to your identical post on Tuesday. If they
weren't suitable, please explain why not.

If you didn't see them, you can always see your posts and any
replies using the Google archives (it takes 4-8 hours to show up
after posting to the groups):

    http://google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*excel*

Use your email address in the Author search field.

In article <#$KZ2k#kDHA.4008@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
 "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wrote:

> I know this would be a little unorthodox, but I currently have a macro that
> will unprotect a workbook including a password.  The line is as follows:
>
> ActiveWorkbook.Unprotect (password)
>
> I also want a macro that will do just the opposite, including the password.
> Is this possible?  I've tried the following with no luck.
>
> ActiveWorkbook.Protect (password), Structure:=True, Windows:=True

0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/16/2003 6:16:57 PM
J.E.,

Thank you the Google info. I will check there.  I apologize for the
duplicate posting.  I never even saw my original message posted.  Since I
couldn't find it today when I looked, I just assumed that it make it to the
posting.

You're always a great help.
Thanks again,
Paul Creecy

"J.E. McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message
> You got two replies when to your identical post on Tuesday. If they
> weren't suitable, please explain why not.
>
> If you didn't see them, you can always see your posts and any
> replies using the Google archives (it takes 4-8 hours to show up
> after posting to the groups):
>
>     http://google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*excel*
>
> Use your email address in the Author search field.
>

> In article <#$KZ2k#kDHA.4008@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
>  "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wrote:
>
> > I know this would be a little unorthodox, but I currently have a macro
that
> > will unprotect a workbook including a password.  The line is as follows:
> >
> > ActiveWorkbook.Unprotect (password)
> >
> > I also want a macro that will do just the opposite, including the
password.
> > Is this possible?  I've tried the following with no luck.
> >
> > ActiveWorkbook.Protect (password), Structure:=True, Windows:=True

0
pclive (112)
10/16/2003 6:27:39 PM
Ok,

ActiveWorkbook.Protect (password), Structure:=True, Windows:=True

When I try to execute the above code, I get a:

 Run-time error '5':
Invalid procedure call or argument

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Paul C.

"J.E. McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message
> You got two replies when to your identical post on Tuesday. If they
> weren't suitable, please explain why not.
>
> If you didn't see them, you can always see your posts and any
> replies using the Google archives (it takes 4-8 hours to show up
> after posting to the groups):
>
>     http://google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*excel*
>
> Use your email address in the Author search field.
>

> In article <#$KZ2k#kDHA.4008@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
>  "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wrote:
>
> > I know this would be a little unorthodox, but I currently have a macro
that
> > will unprotect a workbook including a password.  The line is as follows:
> >
> > ActiveWorkbook.Unprotect (password)
> >
> > I also want a macro that will do just the opposite, including the
password.
> > Is this possible?  I've tried the following with no luck.
> >
> > ActiveWorkbook.Protect (password), Structure:=True, Windows:=True

0
pclive (112)
10/16/2003 6:45:48 PM
Your code works for me as long as password is either a string or a
non-empty variable (though in general, it's better not to use VBA
reserved words as variable names). note that there's no need for the
parens around (password), it just causes an unnecessary evaluation.

In article <#IuJSZBlDHA.2404@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
 "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wrote:

> ActiveWorkbook.Protect (password), Structure:=True, Windows:=True
>
> When I try to execute the above code, I get a:
>
>  Run-time error '5':
> Invalid procedure call or argument

0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/16/2003 7:44:28 PM
Ok, I found out what I was missing.  It was necessary for me to use quotes
around the password.  Then it worked.

Thanks for your help.

One more question.  Do you know how I can keep a macro from being seen.  I
am running the macro from a key-press.  I'd like to prevent thie macro from
being seen when clicking on Tools-Macro-Macros.  Is that possible?

Thanks again,
Paul C.

> Your code works for me as long as password is either a string or a
> non-empty variable (though in general, it's better not to use VBA
> reserved words as variable names). note that there's no need for the
> parens around (password), it just causes an unnecessary evaluation.
>

> In article <#IuJSZBlDHA.2404@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
>  "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wrote:
>
> > ActiveWorkbook.Protect (password), Structure:=True, Windows:=True
> >
> > When I try to execute the above code, I get a:
> >
> >  Run-time error '5':
> > Invalid procedure call or argument

0
pclive (112)
10/16/2003 8:34:30 PM
If you include an optional argument, it won't show up in the list
(though you can still type in the name of the macro  and run it from
the Tools/Macro/Macros dialog), e.g.:

    Public Sub foo(Optional bar As Variant)
        MsgBox "foo"
    End Sub

In article <OQKUsTClDHA.3688@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
 "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wrote:

> One more question.  Do you know how I can keep a macro from being seen.  I
> am running the macro from a key-press.  I'd like to prevent thie macro from
> being seen when clicking on Tools-Macro-Macros.  Is that possible?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/16/2003 9:38:46 PM
To keep the inquisitive from viewing your code (and seeing your password):

Inside the VBE, you can lock the project.
Tools|VBAProject Properties|Protection tab.
Give it a memorable password and lock the project for viewing.

To keep it from appearing in the Tools|Macro|macros... list, put this at the
top:

Option Private Module

All the routines in that module will be hidden from that dialog.

You could also do it this way:
Private Sub myMacro1()

But then it's not visible to other routines in different modules, either.

And one more way to hide it is to set it up so that a parameter gets passed to
it (even an optional parm is ok):

Sub myMacro2(Optional dummyParm As Variant)

(dummyParm doesn't have to be used.)

===
All that said, there are password crackers that are available (pretty cheap,
too) that will allow the truly curious to view your code (and passwords).

And there is a "I forgot my password" crackers for workbook level and worksheet
level protection that is freely posted here every week.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

In article <3F8F1355.470B9DFA@msn.com>,
 Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote:

> All that said, there are password crackers that are available (pretty cheap,
> too) that will allow the truly curious to view your code (and passwords).
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/16/2003 11:58:22 PM
Thanks for all your help.

Luckily I don't think I'll have to worry to much about my people trying to
hack this particular file.  In there position, there is not really any time
or reason for them to do so.  But I'm trying to take the steps to make it
less tempting to the curious ones.  If don't see the macro in the list, then
they won't go looking for the code (at least that will be true in the
environment that I'm using it in)

I've put the "Option Private Module" to use and it works quite well.
However, when I have this listed as Private, I'm then unable to use a
shortcut key for Macro.  Is just something I'll have to live with, or is
there a way around this?

Thanks again,
Paul C.

> And if you use a hex editor, you can get the gist pretty quickly -
> the code is tokenized, but it's readable even when the workbook and
> project are protected.
>
> In article <3F8F1355.470B9DFA@msn.com>,
>  Dave Peterson <ec35720@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > All that said, there are password crackers that are available (pretty
cheap,
> > too) that will allow the truly curious to view your code (and
passwords).

0
pclive (112)
10/17/2003 5:50:02 PM
You could use the "passed parm" technique.

But unless the macro is something that I want to use quickly and repetitively,
I'll stay away from the shortcut key (my memory ain't what it used to be).

I use a version of John Walkenbach's MenuMaker program in my personal.xla file:
It looks very nice and is easy to update.

For those macros that are associated with a single workbook, I'll create a
toolbar when the workbook opens and assign the macro to an icon on that toolbar.

If you're interested, here's a shell that I keep when I want to add a custom
menubar:

In a general module:

Option Explicit
Sub create_menubar()

    Dim i As Long

    Dim mac_names As Variant
    Dim cap_names As Variant
    Dim tip_text As Variant

    Call remove_menubar

    mac_names = Array("mac1", _
                      "mac2", _
                      "mac3")

    cap_names = Array("caption 1", _
                      "caption 2", _
                      "caption 3")

    tip_text = Array("tip 1", _
                     "tip 2", _
                     "tip 3")

    With Application.CommandBars.Add
        .Name = "Test99"
        .Left = 200
        .Top = 200
        .Protection = msoBarNoProtection
        .Visible = True
        .Position = msoBarFloating

        For i = LBound(mac_names) To UBound(mac_names)
            With .Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlButton)
                .OnAction = ThisWorkbook.Name & "!" & mac_names(i)
                .Caption = cap_names(i)
                .Style = msoButtonIconAndCaption
                .FaceId = 71 + i
                .TooltipText = tip_text(i)
            End With
        Next i
    End With
End Sub

Sub remove_menubar()
    On Error Resume Next
    Application.CommandBars("Test99").Delete
    On Error GoTo 0
End Sub

Under Thisworkbook:

Option Explicit

    Call remove_menubar
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Call create_menubar
End Sub

====
The Mac_names, cap_names, and tip_text are set up for 3 elements.  But just
delete/add from each of these and the code will loop through them (even if
there's just one) to add buttons to a temporary toolbar.

(make sure you have the same number of elements for each array.)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Sharing a Workbook #2
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I designed a finance matri for the company I work for so that the phone reps are able to decid whether or not an applicant qualifies for a credit card. The spreadsheet has a bunch of macros, drop down lists, and such. I is important that I track every 'set' of information that is keyed in. Right now, I have a button called "Submit" and it takes the info tha was keyed in, and stores it in another 'hidden' sheet in the workbook. I have 20 copies of the workbook, one for each employee. The proble arises when I need to make...

Using HTML template in 2007/Vista
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum or not.... I'm able to install an HTML page as a template using Office 2007 on an XP machine, but the same process does not work on Vista machines. The template is saved to the proper location but the problem is that when Outlook opens the form, it opens as Plain Text rather than HTML. I haven't been successful finding any solutions googling the problem - anyone here know of a fix? -- rpw ...

Trendline values #2
I used the function "LOGEST" to get an exponential fit of a series of numbers, which gives me a value of 1.0610. I also used "RSQ" function to get the R-square, which is 0.9442. Then I made a chart based on the same series of numbers and add trendline to the curve. I selected "Exponential" under "Type" and checked "Display equation on chart" and "Display R-Squared value on chart". The value shown on the chart is "y=3928.8e^0.0592x" and "R^2=0.9104". I expected to see "y=3928.8e^0.0610x" and "R^...

Outlook 2003 email #2
i am new to the outlook software; currently beginning to use outlook 2003. i am receiving duplicate emails in my in-box; including all the emails i imported from my web based email, yahoo. how do i fix this problem? many thanks for any and every ones helpful guidance. happy new year, technot -- "the world will not solve it''s current problems with like-minded thinking." -Albert Einstein Not a techie here but I have had the same problem. I think that your Outlook profile is corrupt. You can create a new one and import the messages again from your backup. To create a ...

Copy protecting app
Hi Is there a way to protect an access app from copying or restricting its use? If it is a software solution then its better as the app can then be emailed to a prospective client instead of having to physically send hardware keys as well. Thanks Regards "John" <John@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23wP1e061HHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to protect an access app from copying or restricting its > use? > If it is a software solution then its better as the app can then be > emailed > to a prospective client instead of havin...

How to use wincrypt.h?
Hi: I use it in a console app. I do this: The first I don't include .h file. Then add #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0400 and #include <wincrypt.h> in the stdafx.h. compile ... error: error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'HRESULT' fatal error C1004: unexpected end of file found How to do? thanks! >error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'HRESULT' >fatal error C1004: unexpected end of file found > >How to do? Try adding #include <windows.h> before. Dave Thank you. "David Lowndes" ...

MS Money 2003 #2
I am trying to load MS Money on my PC running Win 2000. All I get is a menu bar that is minimized in the bottom of my screen. Nothing else. I have close virus check and zonealarm, but I can't get the software to install. ...

2 year Lifespan?---
I understand that MSMoney has some sort of built in lifespan of 2 years. What stops working after this date? Do I just buy the next version or is there a way round this? It is mainly the stuff related to online working which stops working, ie quote downloads and bank imports. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny or http://money.mvps.org/faq for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your product wishes see http://money.mvps.org/wishes.aspx I do not respond to any unsolicited email r...

Exchange/Outlook 2003
In an effort to make sure we never reach the 16GB threshold for the SBS 2003 Exchange Info Store, I'm looking to setup a GPO to give everyone consistent AutoArchive settings as well as a common location for the PST file. I have already downloaded the Office Administrative Templates for Outlook 2003, so I already have found the settings I want to modify and have made the changes, I just haven't made them live on the domain yet. My thoughts to date: * create two GPOs, one for the PST location, one for the autoarchive settings themselves * set PST location to local drive, or common netw...

insert password using vb
I have multi worksheets in a template with formulas. I can hide th formulas but if I add a password, my macros stop and ask for th password when the macro is in a protected worksheet. Is there a way o adding the password to a macro so that the macro will run smoothl without stopping and asking for a manual insertion of the password? Thanks Do -- abbevill ----------------------------------------------------------------------- abbeville's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=976 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26122 ...

XML TreeNode.Parent property when using 2.0 TreeView?
How do I get a TreeNode.Parent property when using the 2.0 TreeView control? When the data source is an XML file there may be redundant names in the tree. For example, when a child node with the value of 'name' is selected I don't have a clue how to get the name of its parent which may be 'person' or 'school.' <%= Clinton Gallagher "clintonG" <csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com> wrote in message news:%23erL6WOXFHA.3532@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > How do I get a TreeNode.Parent property when using the 2.0 TreeView > control? &...

CRM 1.2 unable to add users in OU but domain root OK.
Hello. I am having trouble adding users to CRM 1.2. If I try to add a CRM user from an OU in the domain with deployment manager or the web GUI it fails. If I add a user to CRM from the root of the domain the user is added fine to CRM. In our test environment I was able to add users to CRM that are in OU's in a test domain without any trouble. Any ideas? Thanks!! Mike ...

Computer Password Displays as Company Name on Startup Screen of Office Programs
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel When I start up an office program (doesn't matter which one), the password that is set up for the computer account displays as the company name under the "This Product Licensed to:" line. I went into the Preferences of Word to delete the company name (which was the password) but it still displays. I also reinstalled Office to see if it would give me a chance to input the data, but it didn't...and the password still displays on start up. Does anyone know how I can change this so the log-on password is no...

Dialog member function protection
Hello When you subclass CDialog into CMyDialog and know that you won't subclass CMyDialog anymore. Where do you put subsequent utility or misc member functions? In private, protected or public? Is it a matter of style or there is a reason for taking a specific choice? (Knowing that your dialog is not intended to be overwritten). -- Elias They should only be public if you want to allow other parts of your application to access them. A good OOP design should leave as little public members as possible. In general, it's a good idea to leave most hidden members protected. There is ...

COUNTIF query #2
Hey all Hopefully a nice easy one.... We have a logging system, and the spreadsheet basically has the person name doing a call, what the call is and how long it took. This is use all day so loads of calls get logged by various people. Say column A is Persons name and Column B is time spent. I need calulation that checks how much time 'person 1', 'person 2', 'person 3 etc has spent on calls during the day and add's it all up. Please can someone show me how to do this, i have tried a COUNTIF bu cant quite get it to work. Many thanks in advance. Darren (digital_life...

What Excel macro puts data in the NEXT row of a sheet?
I have a list of data in col B of sheet 2 which I need to copy and transpose into sheet 1, then delete the data in sheet 2 to use the form again to copy and transpose onto the next line in sheet 1. I have tried with a macro shortcut I've called ctrl + e. (I am really using the data form process but cannot because I have too many inputs). Is there a simple macro I can copy and paste? ...

Not retaining password
Here's an interesting problem for you computer nurds. I'm working on a computer that has two windows profiles, one is the orginal and the other is a new one just recently setup for work. Outlook 2003 isn't beening used on the orginal login profile and on the new profile it isn't retaining the password. Both have computer admin rights and OS is WinXP SP3. I've tick "remember my password" in the email accounts settings and it remains ticked but everytime it does a "send and receive" it askes you for the password. I've spent today trying to fix this is...

same subform used in two different forms
Hi Folks, Is it possible to use the same subform in two different main forms simultaneously? If it's possible, is it good practice? I can foresee that there may be problems with code, but the subform I'm thinking of is very basic. Three tables: tblFamily FamID (primary key) FamLastName tblIndividual IndID (primary key) InFamID FirstName MiddleName ....other personal data tblAddress AddressID AdFamID street city state zip Two main forms for different types of data entry frmFamily with family information on the main form and address information...

Not even Office Live Using Document Connection
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3331376369_11931625 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit While others are saying they can use the SP2 version of Document Connection to Office Live but not Sharepoint I can�t even get connected to my Office Live Workspace which I have been using via the browser for a long time. I can't add my Office LIve Workspace location to Document Connection. The gear just spins and what�s almost as bad it...

Link Error #2
I was able to use CL.exe to compile and link .cpp or .c file in a command line. But all in a sudden, I can not do this any more, as I always got such an error message: LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\Documents' I didn't do complicated compiling. e.g. I even tested with the "hello word" thing. cl hello.c where hello.c is just this: #include <stdio.h> main() { printf("hello world!\n"); } But again, this LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'C:\Documents' happens too! It seems something wrong with the path that CL....

Restoring and backup of Business Portal 2.5 feature pack
how can i backup and restore my business portal site(2.5 feature pack). The objective is to move it to a different location. I have tried using stsadm.exe tool but it is not successfull. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

2003 Macro not working in 2007
Can someone please help. I have macro for IE automation in 2003 but I do not know VBA. Here is the code that works in 2003 but will not run in 2007. Does anyone know what the new code would be for Excel 2007. This is the VBA code Dim objIE As Object Set objIE = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application") With objIE .Navigate "http://mywebsite.com" Do While .Busy: DoEvents: Loop Do While .ReadyState <> 4: DoEvents: Loop .Visible = True This is where Excel 2007 gets stuck. Do While .ReadyState <> 4: DoEvents: Loop Then it ge...

determining macro status in a cell
Hi Is there a way to determine the status of macros (enabled or disabled within a cell formula? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I don't believe this is possible. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "newengland >" <<newengland.11d8au@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:newengland.11d8au@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi > > Is there a way to determine the status of macros (enabled or disabled) > within a cell formula? > > > Thanks > > > --...

Export data to a closed workbook
Hi, Can someone help me with code that record data in a closed workbook? Tanks Luis ...

How to see if different workbooks are linked?
How can someone determine if two workbooks are linked? I can see it is I find the cell, but is there a way to see it at a glance? Thanks, Tracy Hi Tracy You can use Edit>Links in the menubar(not in all excel versions) If it is gray there are no links -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Tracy@Saunatec" <Tracy@Saunatec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:50853AE6-A43E-49B2-9E7B-C3C5ECF4C5A7@microsoft.com... > How can someone determine if two workbooks are linked? I can see it is I find > the cell, but is there a way to see it at a glan...