Macro Security, Password Recovery & VB Code execution

I have found that if I set my macro security to high, VB
code within (non-trusted) excel sheets do not execute...
a microsoft security feature that ostensibly prevents non-
trusted users from running VB

The questions I have are :

  Is there a way to guarantee VB macro-execution using
digital certificates or what-have-you ?

  Is there a way to detect, either within excel (well,
not possible, it seems) or from outside, that the combo
of users macro-security settings and signature status of
a perticular excel file, WILL prevent VB from executing,
if the file is attempted to opened ?

 I have seen password recovery software at work and
extract VB / Sheet passwords ...... can these software
programs work on excel files that are open, or do all
these password recovery softwares require that the excel
file be closed ?

Thanks for any inputs. God bless

0
anand_pai (3)

How to call password protect macro
Hi guys my workbook have a password protected macro. I'll implement userform, its have ok button. I enter the macro call statement in OK button click event if I click the button, it displays "COMPILE ERROR HIDDEN MODULE: MACRO MODULE" how to call the pwd macro? Plz help Advanced thanks Venky On Aug 9, 3:35 pm, mvenkatesa...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi guys > my workbook have a password protected macro. > I'll implement userform, its have ok button. I enter the macro call > statement in OK button click event > if I click the button, it displays "COMPILE ERROR...

Running Macros when on the LAN
Hello: I've been experiencing a recurring phenom. When my system is connected to our internal lan, the spreadsheet hangs and sometimes crashes. When I run the spreadsheet when unconnected from the lan, it runs smoothly. Wkbk A runs macros that open & manipulate other wkbks; Wkbk B contains forms that run manipulate the wrkbk's own data. I'm wondering if there is some Option in Excel to set, some system config to change, or some routine that is left "open" for example. I notice that when I shut down, one of these wkbks flickers, even if its been hours since its...

Inconsistent Macro Behavior
I have a client who created a macro that applies different formatting to columns in her spreadsheet. When she runs it on a new, blank spreadsheet, it works fine. When she uses it on a spreadsheet created from one of our proprietary applications (spreadsheet starts out html, not xls), instead of highlighting just the one column, it highlights the entire spreadsheet and applies the formatting to all the columns. Here are some of the things I've tried: 1. Happens in both Excel XP and 2003 2. Saved file as .xls first, then ran macro (still happens) 3. Tried on different computers (s...

Archive File Password
I tried to open an archive file done back in December. I tried to open the file today but keep getting a message that email or password is incorrect. I have not changed either. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am trying to recover some on transaction data that I deleted by mistake. JC In microsoft.public.money, jcbyte wrote: >I tried to open an archive file done back in December. I tried to open the >file today but keep getting a message that email or password is incorrect. I >have not changed either. An "archive" file is a *.mny file. A backup fil...

Control Codes
I am printing labels using an old Datamax label printer that requires the STX (hex o2) control code to start the label format. RMS seems to strip this out. Has anyone had success in sending Printer control codes to the label file? Tried CHR$(02) but it did nothing. ...

Outlook XP asking for username/password/domain on startup
I seem to have a problem in that each time I startup Outlook XP with accessing Exchange I get a dialogue box coming up asking for a username / password / domain. I put in the required info and the domain will not allow more than 8 characters. I deleted the profile and created the profile and I'm still having the same issue when creating the email account. I'm running the latest fixes for Office XP / Windows XP. Any idea's on this? Hi John, maybe this site could help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684/en-us -- Oliver Vukovics Share Outlook without Exchange: Public Sha...

Security Center
When I click on "Windows Security Alerts" then open the Windows Security Center I see the Security Center is turned off. When I click on the "turn on now", I see this message: "The Security Center Service can't be started." I looked at Windows help and this is not addressed. How does one turn on this Service? Thank you.. "Bill Walsh" <wwalsh7740@optimum.net> wrote in message news:#Pg47atQLHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > When I click on "Windows Security Alerts" then open the Windows Security Center I see the Securi...

Setting User Security
I can't believe that in a world of compliance driven by acts such as Sarbanes Oxley that Great Plains immediately grants system access to a new users upon setup. This is absolutely insane. User Access should automatically default to having no rights and the user security should be modified to allow you to mark or unmark more than one item at a time. much like the bank reconciliation process. It was a nightmare! I also think that the security screen should separate items under the function such as tools (setup and utilities), transactions, inquires and cards so I don't have to...

Code of the original CFrameWnd::OnDDEExecute is buggy & doesn't wo
I had encountered a problem with DDE support and processing while using MFC7.1 Open this routine's source located in a file "winfrm.cpp", and see for your very self. CFrameWnd::OnDDEExecute, (files: afxwin.h and winfrm.cpp) The following code is provided by Microsoft //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// // get the command string TCHAR szCommand[_MAX_PATH * 2]; LPCTSTR lpsz = (LPCTSTR)GlobalLock(hData); int commandLength = lstrlen(lpsz); if (commandLength >= _countof(szCommand)) { // The command would b...

Macro to copy Excel values between worksheets
hi, I have use the Excel Tip Copy a column or columns from each sheet into one sheet using VBA in Microsoft Excel. I try to use the copy values A5:A20 and IQ5:IT20 from sheet 1 to Sheet 2. However, when i run the macro, it only copy the value in A5:A20 to Sheet2. There are formulas (SUM) used in IQ5:IT20. How can I modify the macro to copy the two ranges of value into another sheet? Will the format of the cells influence the results? Please help me asap. Thankyou very much! +----------------------------------------------------------------+ | Attachment file...

Can't paste text to a document because of macros
When I open a document in Word 07, and try to copy text to it it, I get a message that macros are disabled and to go to help for instructions. Instructions say to close the doc. and reopen with macros enabled. BUT it doesn't say HOW to do that. And, why is this happening all of a sudden and everytime I open a doc.? If this happens with all documents in Word, it's probably being caused by poorly designed code in an add-in (or in the Normal template). Did you install something recently? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "leslie7" <leslie7@discus...

New Excel user needs help with simple Macro...
Hello, I am relatively need to Microsoft Excel and I need help creating a simple Macro. I would like to create a Macro that will: - take the value of the selected value - add it to the value of the cell below it - if the sum of these two cells is zero - replace values of both cells with an x - move to the next set of cells in the same column repeat the procedure - continue the procedure for the entire column - once that is done, for each cell with an x delete the entire row the reason why I do not wish to delelte the rows on the fly is because it is possible that after a deletion of a pai...

password expiration not prompted in OWA
I have a customer who has a 2003 domain. Exchange 5.5 on Win2K. She has lots of OWA users who never logon to the domain (no VPN or Citrix etc). When one of these user's password expires they are not prompted in OWA to change their password. I suspect that this is how Active Directory works but I just want to confirm. The user would have to logon to the domain to be prompted that their password has expired and then prompted to change it. The user could still change their password in OWA, they just won't get prompted for it in OWA. Is this right? Thanks in advance Pls check this ht...

USB Composite Device (Code 38)
Hello We are facing a problem with a device driver to an USB-device. The USB device is a Cinterion EU3, which is connected to our computer. During certain circumstances, we need to restart the USB device by the AT^SMSO (Switch Off Mobile Station) command. We can also control the shutdown of the USB device by certain control signals (emergency reset). However, after a shutdown and restart, the USB device is not recognized correctly in Windows any longer. Windows reports Code 38 ("Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the ...

How to check if a PST is password protected from .NET
Hi newsgroup, I am searching for a way to find out if ".pst" File is password protected or not! Is there a way to do that with VB.NET or C#? Best regards, Harry ...

"remember password" in Outlook and Outlook Express
When I reinstalled Outlook 2000 on my machine, I set it up with the |Internet Email Only" option and therefore I suffer from the blank cached password and the inability to have the app remember the password. This is driving me nuts as every 10 minutes I have to enter the password to check for new mail. The support page has the following article but it is a "workaround" not a fix. How can I fix this situation once and for all? Will a remove and reinstall work? Will an Outlook 2003 install fix it? I would prefer to stay with 2000 for the time being but will do what ...

Vista Security Warning on Access 2007 deploy
I have tried designating a folder in the trust center but it doesnt seem to follow the deployed package. Hoe can I avoid having Vista pop up with the "security Warning" when opening my A2007 app? Any help appreciated. p.s. Man this transition to A2007 is "biting" me. Ray This doesn't relate to Access but to Windows Vista. You have to change the UAC -settings in windows. In the help from win vista type UAC (user account control). take a look here: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/0d75f774-8514-4c9e-ac08-4c21f5c6c2d91033.mspx?mfr=true h...

Is there a way to have a file automatically open a VBA macro on a PC but an AppleScript on a Mac?
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Is there a way to have a file automatically open a VBA macro on a PC but an AppleScript on a Mac? <br><br>TIA > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3346930099_5555855 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit On 1/21/10 12:59 PM, in article 59bb160c.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "Basilisk@officeformac.com" <Basilisk@officeformac.co...

How can I set security to allow Hyperlinks to connect to the inter
I can not click on hyperlinks in my mail to connect to the internet. I get an error that states to check with sytem administrator to see restrictions. I can not find where to adjust the system to allow these connnections. Please help point to the correct area so that I can change them. This is a problem with IE, its not an Outlook error. You need to reset your internet settings in IE's Tools, Internet Options, Advanced tab. (Or Control panel, Internet options, Advanced tab). See http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm for the latest information. -- Diane Por...

Macro
Hi all!!! I am trying to get my macro to run a sort in a non specific cell for column D.....there are many steps up to this point, I will include the last couple in the code...here is what I have so far.... Columns("C:C").Find(What:="x").EntireRow.Insert Columns("C:C").Find(What:="x").EntireRow.Select Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown)).Select Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("D63"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _ OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientati...

Help converting DATE with MACRO?!
I have a column that contains dates in a format like this... 25-Mar-05 How would I write a Macro that would take this data and convert it to a format like this...? 03/25/2005 Thanks much! Just set the date format, Format>Cells>Custom ... mm/dd/yyyy -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "SinCity" <nws@gsw-inc.com> wrote in message news:ebtJRic3GHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > I have a column that contains dates in a format like this... > > 25-Mar-05 > > > How would I write a Macr...

[P2007]
Hi, I have a PM user who has just changed the login account password in AD and after that he is no longer able to login to PWA, an access denied message will show up instead. Even if I assign him as an administrator, he is still getting the same problem. He has no issue using Project Professional (with his account) to connect to the project server, it is just the PWA that he is unable to access. Did anyone encountered the same issue before? Regards Godrid Godrid: Most likely his desktop is sending the incorrect credentials. Verify that the user didn't save the passw...

Any security concern about Windows event 529?
We have been seeing large amount of windows event 529 on our domain controller. Sometimes it has a valid user name. Sometimes, it sends the computer name as the user name. We have the account locked out rule set on DC, but no account locked for these 529 events. And what is the potential cause for those w/o the actual user name? Raw Event = Logon Failure: Reason: Unknown user name or bad password User Name: WORKSTATION01$ Domain: DMNET Logon Type: 3 Logon Process: NtLmSsp Authentication Package: NTLM Workstation Name: WORKSTATION01 Caller User Name: ...

Breaking User Form Code into modules question
I have a user form with alot of code in it. As of now all the code is in the Userform Code window, but there is so much code that it's getting confusing. I have one Sub that is to large and needs to be split into several subs. When I was done I was going to break all the Subs down into different modules to clean it up. I guess I will have to do that now, but I am not sure how to do it. 1: My question is in the UserForm Code Window how do I refer to a module? 2: If the Code is to large can one Module call another module? Something like User form Code calls Module 1 and ...

Getting prompt for password from other exch55 servers in the same
Doing an upgrade from exch 5.5 to exch 2003 and have installed a exch 2003 in my main site. Migrating users over to exch 2003 for this site and others in the organisation. There are 4 servers in the main site, 2 exch 5.5, one exch 5,5 connector and one exch 2003. Sometimes the users on the exch 2003 get prompted for a password from one of the old exch 5.5 servers in the main site, and if i check connection state for the client i see its trying to connect with Type Public folders. This is also the case when connecting through rpc/http. If you type in password it just pops back up, if y...