Macro -- repetitive tasks

Below is a portion of the macro (that I have cropped, original version is
much longer but a lot of this is repetitive statement) that allow me to
change the chart setting for a chart. I intend to change the setting for
about 20 charts in a worksheet

There must be a way to shorten this macro – retaining the main body of the
macro but replacing the chart Name (in bold, big fonts) with N then define

N= CHART_1, CHART_2, CHART_3, CHART_4 Etc etc

Let the macro run for CHART_1 until the last CHART and stop there.

By doing so the macro will be shorter and neat.

Question: how to do write a macro for this repetitive task?

Thanks

ActiveWindow.Visible = False
    Windows("autoplot.xls").Activate
    ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("CHART_1").Activate
    ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue).Select
    With ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue)
        .MinimumScale = 2000
        .MaximumScale = 3000
        .MinorUnitIsAuto = True
        .MajorUnitIsAuto = True
        .Crosses = xlAutomatic
        .ReversePlotOrder = False
        .ScaleType = xlLinear
        .DisplayUnit = xlNone
    End With
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
    Windows("autoplot.xls").Activate
    ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("CHART_2").Activate
    ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue).Select
    With ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue)
        .MinimumScale = 2000
        .MaximumScale = 3000
        .MinorUnitIsAuto = True
        .MajorUnitIsAuto = True
        .Crosses = xlAutomatic
        .ReversePlotOrder = False
        .ScaleType = xlLinear
        .DisplayUnit = xlNone
    End With
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
    Windows("autoplot.xls").Activate
    ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("CHART_3").Activate
    ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue).Select
    With ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue)
        .MinimumScale = 2000
        .MaximumScale = 3000
        .MinorUnitIsAuto = True
        .MajorUnitIsAuto = True
        .Crosses = xlAutomatic
        .ReversePlotOrder = False
        .ScaleType = xlLinear
        .DisplayUnit = xlNone
    End With
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
    Windows("autoplot.xls").Activate
    ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("CHART_4").Activate
    ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue).Select
    With ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue)
        .MinimumScale = 2000
        .MaximumScale = 3000
        .MinorUnitIsAuto = True
        .MajorUnitIsAuto = True
        .Crosses = xlAutomatic
        .ReversePlotOrder = False
        .ScaleType = xlLinear
        .DisplayUnit = xlNone
    End With

0
OTS (4)

try something like

for i = 1 to 20
chnm="Chart_"&i
ActiveWindow.Visible = False
    Windows("autoplot.xls").Activate
    ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(i)Activate
    activechart.name=chnm
    ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue).Select
    With ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue)
        .MinimumScale = 2000
        .MaximumScale = 3000
        .MinorUnitIsAuto = True
        .MajorUnitIsAuto = True
        .Crosses = xlAutomatic
        .ReversePlotOrder = False
        .ScaleType = xlLinear
        .DisplayUnit = xlNone
    End With
next i

"OTS" wrote:

> Below is a portion of the macro (that I have cropped, original version is
> much longer but a lot of this is repetitive statement) that allow me to
> change the chart setting for a chart. I intend to change the setting for
> about 20 charts in a worksheet
>
> There must be a way to shorten this macro – retaining the main body of the
> macro but replacing the chart Name (in bold, big fonts) with N then define
>
> N= CHART_1, CHART_2, CHART_3, CHART_4 Etc etc
>
> Let the macro run for CHART_1 until the last CHART and stop there.
>
> By doing so the macro will be shorter and neat.
>
> Question: how to do write a macro for this repetitive task?
>
> Thanks
>
> ActiveWindow.Visible = False
>     Windows("autoplot.xls").Activate
>     ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("CHART_1").Activate
>     ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue).Select
>     With ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue)
>         .MinimumScale = 2000
>         .MaximumScale = 3000
>         .MinorUnitIsAuto = True
>         .MajorUnitIsAuto = True
>         .Crosses = xlAutomatic
>         .ReversePlotOrder = False
>         .ScaleType = xlLinear
>         .DisplayUnit = xlNone
>     End With
> ActiveWindow.Visible = False
>     Windows("autoplot.xls").Activate
>     ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("CHART_2").Activate
>     ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue).Select
>     With ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue)
>         .MinimumScale = 2000
>         .MaximumScale = 3000
>         .MinorUnitIsAuto = True
>         .MajorUnitIsAuto = True
>         .Crosses = xlAutomatic
>         .ReversePlotOrder = False
>         .ScaleType = xlLinear
>         .DisplayUnit = xlNone
>     End With
> ActiveWindow.Visible = False
>     Windows("autoplot.xls").Activate
>     ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("CHART_3").Activate
>     ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue).Select
>     With ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue)
>         .MinimumScale = 2000
>         .MaximumScale = 3000
>         .MinorUnitIsAuto = True
>         .MajorUnitIsAuto = True
>         .Crosses = xlAutomatic
>         .ReversePlotOrder = False
>         .ScaleType = xlLinear
>         .DisplayUnit = xlNone
>     End With
> ActiveWindow.Visible = False
>     Windows("autoplot.xls").Activate
>     ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("CHART_4").Activate
>     ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue).Select
>     With ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue)
>         .MinimumScale = 2000
>         .MaximumScale = 3000
>         .MinorUnitIsAuto = True
>         .MajorUnitIsAuto = True
>         .Crosses = xlAutomatic
>         .ReversePlotOrder = False
>         .ScaleType = xlLinear
>         .DisplayUnit = xlNone
>     End With

0
BJ (832)

pasting of variable cell value into macro
I have written a macro that runs an autofilter which grabs cell info from a different worksheet within that workbook (an entered date). It then uses that date to autofilter. It works fine the first time, but aparently plugs that info permanently into the macro and will not work on subsequent runs. I need a macro that will grab variable info from a certain cell each time and run with that new cell value each time. Any ideas?. (& yes, I am a newbee) sorry.. Your problem is refreshing the autofilter. It is best to clear the old filter before applying the new filter. Here ...

Internationalization for formulas & macros
Hi all, I have a relative who send me some Excel spreadsheet (97, 2000 or XP that contains formulas and macros written in english. However, I have a french version of Excel. Because of this, I can' open these spreadsheets. My question is quite simple. Is there a tool or an easy way to convert all formulas & macros withi a spreadsheet from english to french? Any help will be appreciated. Thank' -- micto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mictou's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1637 View this th...

Task Category does not appear to sync between CRM 3.0 and Outlook
I've been trying to find a way to sync the category field on a CRM task with the outlook task categories. Is this possible? Have I missed something? Whatever category I set for a task in Outlook it is blank in CRM. The same is true the other direction. The tasks themselves seem to sync but the Category fields are unaffected. Any help would be appreciated. ....Steve This field is not synchronized and the mapping is not customizable. Maybe you could store the data in the subject field. -- Jason -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no ri...

able to record & run macro but not edit !
All Excel97 . When I open a file with an existing macro (or create a new spreadshee and simply record an entry in a cell ) and go to Tools/Macro/Macros th macro list is visible and I can run the macro but if I try to edit it get a Microsoft Visual Basic pop-up 'Unexpected error ; quitting' o if I simply try to open the VBE i get a similar pop-up with ' Out o Memory'. Same files work fine at work (Excel 97) where I edited macros n problem. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Excel from the office 97 dis along with data access & Office tools (and their elements) ti...

Recurring Tasks Frustration
I can't understand my Microsoft hasn't addressed a particular feature that a lot of us have been complaining about it from long ago: When you setup a recurring task "Pay the rent" to appear every month, you can't check it off as completed without the this task appearing again, right away (for the next month). It sits there all month long till it's time to check it off again, which then causes the NEXT month's version of this task to immediately appear. I know you can setup Outlook Today to only show today's tasks. But I don't want to view Outlook Today, I...

Macro
Thanks to those who offered help but I still am not quite there with the correct solution. R.Venkataraman's code was almost correct but I don't think I explained myself correctly. In my sheet1 the user inputs numbers (1-50) in column A.(pluss loads of other data in columns B:P) what I require is the macro to ask the user to input the 'job' they want to print. So if the user inputs <9> then column A in sheet 1 is searched for the number 9 then the contents of that particular row are copied (without formula - just cell values) and the data pasted onto row A2 of sheet...

Hide worksheets if macros are disable
Hi, what I was hoping to do is if the marcros are disable when the file is opened all the worksheets are hidden except one with a message saying to enable macros in which case this sheet would be hidden if the macros were enable. TIA If macros are disabled, there's nothing you can do to change they way it opens. Maybe you can save the file with the worksheets hidden the way you want. Then have your auto_open/workbook_open unhide the ones you want to see. Eintsein_mc2 wrote: > > Hi, what I was hoping to do is if the marcros are disable when the file > is opened all the work...

Excel should allow macro on a shared workbook.
We are using excel tables all the time at my company. There are more than 20 people working on the same excel file which has thousands of columns so we use autofilter or some other macros. Shared workbook will help us alot because we will be able to change the file at the same time which is very time saving. Is there any way that macros are allowed at shared workbooks? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not ...

About Macros #2
Hi ! Even though I have deleted all macros from my workbook, I still get the pop-up saying that macros are disabled. How do I get rid of this annoying feature? Thanks for all help, David Debra Dalgleish has a great explanation with pictures on how to deal with this issue. http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros HTH Paul -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Be advised to back up your WorkBook before attempting to make changes. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------...

VBA Question: Called macro stops unexpectedly
Hello, I'm new to using VBA in Excel. I'm hoping I'm missing something simple and that someone here can help me. I have one Excel workbook that has many subroutines/macros in Module 1. I have 5 worksheets in the workbook and each has navigation buttons to move from sheet to sheet. On one sheet, there are required fields that must be checked before a user can be moved to the desired sheet. The buttons call the appropriate macro, like GoTo_Report, which takes the user to the Report sheet. But, on the Project Info screen, I need all these buttons to also run the macro that chec...

Macro to find the first cell in a column with different data
Hello, I really could use some of your expert and excellent help with a problem I am having in creating a macro to perform a search in "Column A" to locate a change in the data in that column and then move one column to the right and one row down and type "1" in that cell. I really appreciate your help, and Have a Blessed Holiday Season. Perhaps this might also do it here .. Assuming data is in A1 down, of the structure as below: 1 1 1 2 2 3 3 etc Put in B2: =IF(A2<>A1,1,"") Copy down Kill the formulas in col B with an in-place: Copy > Paste spe...

can't record a new macro or insert module in editor
When i try to record a new macro it tells me it is unalbe to record. When i go into the VB editor and go to the insert menu all the items are greyed out so I can't select module and so create a new macor that way. I have changed the security off from high (tried on both medium and low). Does anybody know why I can't make new macros? Douglas Allen Douglas Unfortunately the "Unable to record" message has several potential causes. Suggest you wander through these google search results dealing with this issue. Perhaps something will do the trick. The Personal.xls file ...

Filtering data within macros
I have a spread sheet with 6 coloums of data such as name,month,job. have filters so i can see how many jobs are done in a month or how man jobs one person is doing. I would like to be able to write a macr which works out most of the combinations of filters and outputs it t a seperate sheet. There are lots of different options for each coloum tho! Is there any quick ways i can do this other than reseting th filters everytime for every combination? hope i have explained this ok....its even confusing me!! Cheers Robert -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This may be helpful ...

macro to delete multiple rows
I have recorded, then modified, the following macro, which unprotects the sheet, aks if you are sure you want to delete the row, deletes the current row, copies down a cell in column A that numbers the row, and protects the sheet. Works fine, but if the user wants to delete not only the current row, but multiple rows below it also, the macro must be repeated. How can I accomplish deleting multiple rows, as indicated by the user? For example, rows 18 thru 20, or 29 thru 33, etc, or of course, just the current row, with the message box prompting the user for the number of rows to delete. Thanks...

Macro-Save as
I need to know how to 'default' the save file type as an .xls from a .dat within a macro. After a macro has completed changing many .dat files into excel spreadsheets to include subtotals, the file type is defaulted to .dat and when I go to save the file, I have to constantly change the file type from .dat to .xls. "Lois" wrote: > I need to know how to 'default' the save file type as an .xls from a .dat > within a macro. After a macro has completed changing many .dat files into > excel spreadsheets to include subtotals, the file type is defaulted to...

How do I run a macro when a value occurs in a cell
I want to run a macro when a value appears in a cell. How can this be accomplished? Hi! This is a trivial example but you can build on it: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Range("D3") = 36 Then Range("D3").Interior.ColorIndex = 6 Else Range("D3").Interior.ColorIndex = 2 End If End Sub Put =A3*3 in D3 Try values such as 12, 10 in A3 Al -- Alf ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AlfD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=478 View this thread: http://www.excelforu...

Using a macro question.
Can you execute a macro from inside a formula? IF(A1="Y",execute.macro,"") Thanks Adam, not with a formula, but you can use a worksheet change event like this, put in sheet code Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub If Target.Address = "$A$1" And UCase(Target.Value) = "Y" Then 'put your code here End If End Sub -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Usin...

Start Date Change from My Tasks
When a user modifies the start date in My Tasks and published to the PM, the correct dates show in the "change acceptance" window; however, the new date does not show correctly in the client task start date field. The gantt chart does show that the task has been delayed (with a dotted line) with the task starting at the new start date. The dotted line starts at the old start date. Changing finish dates appear to work correctly. Suggestions Sorry . . . running PS 2007 with June CU. "Jim Sipe" wrote: > When a user modifies the start date in My Task...

Tying tasks to calendar days.
I am wanting to click a date in the calendar and have the application show me the days tasks. So if I click on Mon, Mondays tasks are listed out in TaskPad view. If I click on Saturday, shows ONLY Saturdays tasks. I would think this is a doable feature in this app. Thanks for your help. It sounds like it is showing you the days tasks. If you want other tasks to show up that are not for say Saturday, then the task shouldn't have any dates associated with it, "a master task". would this help? "Frustrated" <Frustrated@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in m...

Hyperlink to open .dot with a macro
I have a word .dot that has a simple macro when opened, but when I try to open the .dot from a hyperlink the macro doesn't autostart. Any ideas? I opened word and created a new test2.dot template file. I put this code under the ThisDocument module: Option Explicit Private Sub Document_New() MsgBox "hi from new" End Sub Private Sub Document_Open() MsgBox "hi from open" End Sub I put a hyperlink in a cell in an excel worksheet that pointed to that test2.dot file. The Document_Open() event fired--but the actual template (test2.dot) opened--a new document bas...

Reassigning tasks to resources not already part of project plan
I am creating projects and assigning the majority of the tasks to team leaders, who are then reassigning to various resources on their teams. Although these resources are members of the team and can assign the tasks to themselves, they don't appear on the drop-down menu for the Reassign Work feature, I"m assuming because I don't have them assigned specifically to a task. Is there a way around this, other than creating a dummy task with ALL the potential resources on it? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00F5_01CAAF4B.B2486F6...

URLs dragged into tasks shows up as Icons, can I have links instead?
I often need to put webaddresses in the tekst in tasks. I would like to drag them from the addressbar in IE into the textwindow of a task like I do in other programs like Word (where I get the address as a clickable link) or FrontPage (where I get the Title as a clickable link). However, in Outlook I get just the IE-page icon and the first part of the URL. Mostly useless. Is there a way to change this to the Word or preferably the Forntpage way of showing the link? ...

Can I create a report from this without a macro?
(XL2007) My data is presented in 5-row groups. Cols A, B, and C have my identifiers; col AU has a text value I need to include. Headers in row 9; cells in cols A, B and C are merged in groups of five (A10:A14 merged, A15:19 merged, etc, and same for B and C); in the Name Box, though, data in the A10:A14 merged group shows up as A10. Col A is the major group, col B is the sub-group, and col C is the ID number of the sub-group. What I would like is something like a pivot table. I tried that, though, and XL told me I didn't have a valid range, or valid headers, or something like that. ...

Help: Macro that runs various if statements, inserting rows etc
I am a newcomer to Macros and excel programming and was hoping someone could assist / provide the code to do the following: I have a +50,000 line spreadsheet, that needs to be formatted. Given the size I would like to automate this. There are 3 key formatting changes required and detailed below: n = 1 1. If Cell A(n) not equal Cell A(n+1) then insert a new row below A(n), make Cell F(insertedrow)=1, make Cell G(insertedrow)=A(n+1), make Cell H(insertedrow)=B(n+1) 2. If Cell C(n) not equal Cell C(n+1) then insert a new row below C(n), make Cell F(insertedrow)=2, make Cell G(inserte...

Is there a way to import Quickbooks reminders into Outlook Calander or Task list?
I am using Outlook 2003 and Quickbooks Pro 2006. I have numerous reminders I need to keep up with in Quickbooks and I can't keep it open all the time, but Outlook is always open. Surely I am not the only person that has this issue. Does anyone know how to do this? I have searched the Quickbooks Marketplace for solutions and none yet. I am about to check their forums. DW Post back with a solution if you find one. Exporting is the property of = the program that you are using - not Outlook. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion int...