Lose data when copy and paste from workbook to workbook

When I do a simple copy and paste of multiple or even 1 cell from a sheet in one workbook to a sheet in another workbook, the data gets cut off - only the first part is pasted.  These cells do have quite a bit of text and the cells with limited data seem to paste okay.  The cell format is General.  Any suggestions???
0
anonymous (74722)

What version of excel are you using? There are limitations
on the number of characters a cell can have.

Regards

Jamal

0
anonymous (74722)
2/25/2004 5:22:56 PM
do you have both workbooks open in the same instance of excel?

If no, try it with just one instance open.  (Open one file, and then File|open
the second).

If you double click on a file in windows explorer and it always opens a new
instance of excel, you may want to change this behavior:

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

An alternative might be to do:
Try Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Help formatting a workbook into a webpage
Hello, I have a workbook that I would like to publish to my website. When I do a file/save as webpage the images are way too large for my browser. Does anyone know if there is a way to "reformatt" the sheets to save in a smaller size? Thanks in advance. ...

Replicating Production data in Test environment
our customer is looking to replicate there production data dynamics 3.0 into a Q/A we already have an existing Q/A environment set up but the data is outdated. We have an integration set up between 8 Great Plains companies & a propriety DB, using Scribe. What would be the best way to mirror the data? It would be simple to copy the Great Plains database; I think we could update the Scribe Keycross reference two way table. But the CRM data is not as transportable. Would using the CRM redeployment be an option? I have used this one before but only to move the database server within the...

Pivot Table Help
I have a column for the actual date and a column for a grade. I hav created a pivot table to total up information in regards to this data. I need to sum up the amounts by the month not the individual day. However I need to keep the individual date as mm/dd/yy. Is there a way that I can manipulate the pivot table to sum up based o the month only? Date 1/2/04 1/3/04 ... 5/6/04 Grade 2 1 ... 5 The pivot table works ok however I really only need to sum up th totals for each month not for each particular day. Is there a way tha I can use the same day column but only calculate the totals...

Separating Data
Hi...I have 4045 rows of data that look like this: 16TH FL BENN TOWER/4385 3900 CHESTNUT/6178 I need to separate out the 4 diget code after the /...so it's in a column by itself. Can you help me with the code. Thank you. DaveB =RIGHT(A1,4) If you want the information before the "/" in a seperate cell: =LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-5) -- HTH, Laura Cook Appleton, WI "DaveB" <dberger16@comcast.net> wrote in message news:079e01c3672f$2d2d4050$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi...I have 4045 rows of data that look like this: > > 16TH FL BENN TOWER/4385 > 3900 CHEST...

Excel ? how to get data points to be crosses
In MS excel the plotted data point options are triangles, squares and circles, all solid. How do I creatt them in just outline and how do I represent data points by crosses rather than those other shapes? Double click on a series of points, and click on the Patterns tab. You can choose any of the marker styles, including a cross, from the dropdown. To get an outline of the shape, select None for the background color of the marker. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ STEJHA wrote: > I...

how to reclaim unallocated space without losing data
I have a 320GB external hard disk with 2 primary partitions and an extended partition. There is also 122BG of "unallocated" space (marked black in the disk management graphic display). Can I resize the extended partition without losing the data that resides on the logical drive that's already allocated in the extended partition? Running WINDOWS/XP Home with sp3 installed. TIA, Phil cellist wrote: > I have a 320GB external hard disk with 2 primary partitions and an > extended partition. There is also 122BG of "unallocated" space > (mark...

Missing Data Sources (Resend)
Hi there When I click Data, Get External Data, New Database Query..., there are no data sources listed in the Database list under <New Data Source>. Even the defaults e.g. dBase Files, Microsoft Access Database, Excel Files, etc are not listed. I am using Windows XP Professional with Office 2000. How can I fix this? Thanks Michael ...

Linking/refreshing data across worksheets
This is a very basic question, but has me stumped nonetheless. I have one worksheet which contains a list of my "master data", while several other worksheets in the workbook reference this list of data using an absolute reference i.e. ='Food Master'!B20 Is there an easy way to keep the data synced across worksheets if I insert a row into my master worksheet? FYI, I do not have this data saved as a list. Is there a way to accomplish this with absolute references or do I need to use a pivot table, lookup table, etc.? I'm trying to keep this simple if at all pos...

How to access CRM data from MS Word
I watched in a power point presentation downloaded from MS website that you can access your CRM data from MS word to make well formatted offers for your customers. There was an area on the right with CRM data in it and you can chose the data you want then inset it into the word document. Any idea how to make this. On May 10, 3:21 pm, Maged Assabri <MagedAssa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I watched in a power point presentation downloaded from MS website that you > can access your CRM data from MS word to make well formatted offers for your > customers. > Ther...

Data from 1 sheet to another sheet in same worksheet but then sorted....
I'm importing data from other worksheets with the database query function, this does carry a possibility to sort but due to specific matters I can't use the sorting function. My idea is now to have the data thus important automatically listen on another sheet in the same worksheet but on another sheet but this time sorted according to certain criteria. I'm sure this is easy with lists etc and filters, but what I'm looking for is something simple where even I can work with. Your suggestions are very welcome, thanks, martin ...

Circular References and Visual Basic Formulas: Trouble Opening Workbooks
Hello, I have a workbook with a complex formula written in VBA that is part of a circular reference. When the workbook is open, everything works fine. But when I close the workbook and open it again, I get "#Value" in the cells with the VBA formula and "#Name" in other cells part of the circular reference. I assume it is because there is nothing to start off the circular reference (sort of a "primer") once the workbook is opened. I have gotten around this by turning off auto calculation when I open the workbook and then turning it back on as soon as the workb...

Copy Folders and it's content from a text file.
I have a script that searches a drive for a specific folder name and writes to a text file with the path. I would like to create a sub routine to then read the text and make a copy of that folder and contents to a USB Hard drive. (If possible with a progress bar to show me the status of the copy operation . ) Here is a copy of the code that I'm using. Thank you all in advance. -Jeremy Code: Set objRegEx = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp") Set objFSO=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") Set objFile=objFSO.CreateTextFile("C:\SearchLog.txt&quo...

pasting linked excel cell and maintaining formatting no matter wha
I am linked pasting a data cell from Excel into Word. I am using the paste special, paste link: unformatted text I make adjustments to the font and font size in Word. I goto Excel, and I modify the text in the cell and go back to Word and it changes. How can I get the formatting to stay the same, no matter what? In Word, make sure to modify the *paragraph style* applied to text. That way you would prevent any unexpected changes when the OLE link is updated. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "JEB" wrote: > I am linked pasting a data cell from Exce...

macro in excel to copy from excel to word
i have a database in excel...which i would like to take more advantag of. I also have some forms in Word that I was hoping to be able to get the to be automatically completed using the excel database. Initially thought this would be quite simple.... just record the macr then modify it to suit. This using simple copy from excel and paste into word document, o pasting into form..field..values. I have done a little before with excel macros - to a level of 'usin excel programming for dummies' book. But really do not know where t start now. Have seen this: "Dim appWD As Word.Appl...

Expanding selected data
When creating a chart in 2007, I select a range of data containing sales by month. I forgot to select the column or cells cotaining the sales categories so the chart shows series1, series 2, series 3 and so on. I expanded the selected data by dragging out the colored box/border surrounding the selected data, but the my chart did not updated. why? how can my chart update automatically when modififying the selected area? Thought it was possible in 2007. Thansk Hi, If your chart didn't include a title range then there is no purple border available to expand. The blue border i...

Source Data Ranges in Charts
Is there a way an Excel chart (Excel 2000) can dynamically determine th beginning and end of source data ranges? Perhaps based on markers i the worksheet, or the use of a function of some sort in the data sourc panel. Imagine a single column of values from rows 1 to 2000. This column o values describes a series of "events" in order from top to bottom o the column. Each event equates to a separate data series in the chart In the chart each data series is hardcoded with the beginning an ending cell references of each event. The problem is this: When the parameters of the underl...

Filter data from one collum by looking up from another column
Hi, I am stuck on the following problem: I want to exclude names (or give them another color) from 1 column if they are also in another column. To illustrate this, the result from the following data: A B 1 John Peter 2 Sue Floyd 3 Peter Dan 4 Mike Chris would have to be: John Sue Mike Or in this case I could use a conditional formatting to paint A3 red. How do I do this? Try something like this: Using your posted example: Select A1:A4, with A1 as the active cell From the Excel main menu: <format><conditional formatting> Formula is: =COUNTIF($A$1:$B1,A1)>1 Click the...

data validation list from multiple non-contiguous named ranges?
I have three non-contiguous ranges, named: Locations, AltLocations, AddLocations I have a data validation cell (list) that I need to include all three of these ranges as options, but XL XP gives an error that source has to be all one row, all one column, or a comma delimited list. I added all three named locations into a new range: AllLocations = Locations,AltLocations,AddLocations when I click on the name, it highlights all three ranges, but when I try to add that into my new column it gives me [#value], which is strange because if I use one of the original ranges in the column (C1=Locatio...

compare two cells with non-numeric data
I need to compare two cells (A1 vs B1) that contain letter grades (that is, A, A-, B+, B, B-, etc.) I need to show if one cell (B1) has a higher grade than the cell to which it is being compared to (A1), is the same or has a lower grade. If this were the comparison of number data, then no problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks One thing you could do is to allocate a nominal value to each grade. For example, set up a column somewhere, eg in X1:X10 like this: A A- B+ B B- C+ C C- D E I don't know what grades you are actually using, but I'm sure you can see the idea of list...

How do you paste images into email NOT as an attachment?
Hi. I'm using Outlook 2000 and wondering how you can copy and paste an image into an email body WITHOUT it automatically making it into an attachment. I'm able to do this with Netscape, so I wanted to find out how to do it with Outlook. It's basically embedding the image directly to the body of the email (like an HTML based email) so it comes up automatically and is not an attached file. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Click on the image, select "Select All" from the Edit menu - then copy and paste the image into your Outlook message - this does not work with p...

Duplicate Data -Adding information to another column in row & dele
I have a spreadsheet that I have sorted and contains duplicate cells of information within the same columns, but has needed information within the row. I need some help writing a formula that would allow me to do as discribed below down the entire worksheet: If Cell B2= B3, Then add value in cell E3 to cell E2, retaining the E2 cell vaue, using sometype of delimiter such as a comma or hard return to seperate the 2 values, then delete row 3 and move down through the entire worksheet. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Jacky Del Hoyo Try this against a copy of your wor...

Unable to View Contents of Workbook
Excel 2003 This is a weird problem that I've never seen before. We have a user who is unable to view the contents of a specific Excel workbook. When the user opens the file it looks as if there are no files open--all he gets is a gray screen with the menu and toolbars. The name of the file does not appear in the title bar and there are no sheet tabs at the bottom of the screen either. So it looks like no file has been opened. But there are some telltale signs that the file IS actually open. The Name box shows "A25" and the Formula box shows the value of that cell, a...

Data Validation to force a Date/Time Entry
I have a cell where the user must enter a date time like this 5/1/2004 6:35 PM How can I force them to enter a proper Date and Time? Are there an Input Masks like you can use in Access? When I've tried and use Custom Data validation it can let them get by with just entering th date Are there any free calendar/clock controls ActiveX for Excel -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Ron de Bruin has some calendar control stuff at: http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm (the last line is a link to a free control, IIRC) "DoctorV <" wrote: > > I have a cell ...

Transpose large data from columns to rows
Hello thanks for the help if possible. I have 2 columns. Column A contains names of employees column B contains the trainings the employees attended. Each employee has different number of trainings (I got this data sorted by simple pivot table) A B Employee X training 1 Employee X training 2 Employee X training 3 Employee Y training 3 Employee Y training 2 Employee Z training 5 Employee Z training 7 Empl...

Cut, copy and paste greyed out
Microsoft Excel 2003 SP2 on Windows XP SP2 The Cut, Copy and Paste icons are greyed out. They are also greyed out on the Edit menu. Obviously the Paste icon is meant to be greyed out until there's something in the clipboard, however it remains greyed out even when I've copied some text. The Cut, Copy and Paste options are available if I right-click a cell and work OK. Keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+X, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V work fine. I've run Help - Detect and Repair and it made no difference. This problem occurs on both new and existing workbooks. Any ideas how to fix this? than...