lookup row number

Hi,
can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list.

EG say I have a list of names as below:

Andrew
Mike
Steve
Ian
Paul

I would normally just add a column with the row numbers and then lookup the
row number in the second column but is it possible to do without adding the
extra column by using the row formula someohow?

Thanks

Hi Michael

Try the below..
=MATCH("Mike",A:A,0)

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"Michael" wrote:

> Hi,
> can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list.
>
> EG say I have a list of names as below:
>
> Andrew
> Mike
> Steve
> Ian
> Paul
>
> I would normally just add a column with the row numbers and then lookup the
> row number in the second column but is it possible to do without adding the
> extra column by using the row formula someohow?
>
> Thanks
Match will give you the row number, as in:

=MATCH("Andrew",A1:A5,0)

Regards,
Fred

"Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> can you tell me how to lookup the row number of a name in a list.
>
> EG say I have a list of names as below:
>
> Andrew
> Mike
> Steve
> Ian
> Paul
>
> I would normally just add a column with the row numbers and then lookup
> the
> row number in the second column but is it possible to do without adding
> the
> extra column by using the row formula someohow?
>
> Thanks

0
Fred
4/21/2010 1:39:20 PM