Lookup Formula - 76065

I'm not sure if this would be a look up formula, but is there a formula where
I can type in a number in one cell and in the cell next to it, it will pop up
a description that i've written in another cell connected to that number on
another sheet?

EXCEL 2007

Please  refer to:-

http://www.pierrefondes.com/

Item number 93.

In Sheet1 in cells A2 to A6 entry of any one of these numbers:-

200 / 400 / 500 / 600

 - will return, respectively, any one of:-

60 / 10 / 10 / 20

 - in cells B2 to B6.

The, "conversion table" is found on Sheet2.

Just amend the Workbook to suit your requirements.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if this would be a look up formula, but is there a formula where
> I can type in a number in one cell and in the cell next to it, it will pop up
> a description that i've written in another cell connected to that number on
> another sheet?
Hi Emily

Supposing that your entries are on Sheet2 with a number in column A and
a description alongside that number in column B.

On sheet1, you enter a number in cell A2, then paste this formula in B2
=IF(A2="","",VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A:B,2,0)
Copy down as required
--
Regards
Roger Govier

EmilyE wrote:
> I'm not sure if this would be a look up formula, but is there a formula where
> I can type in a number in one cell and in the cell next to it, it will pop up
> a description that i've written in another cell connected to that number on
> another sheet?
0
Roger

Existing formula
I'm working with a spreadsheet that was built by someone else and cam across a formula in some of the cells that I'm puzzled by. The formul begins with "=", but the next character is "+", then a reference t another worksheet and cell. The "+" is what I'm wondering about, haven't seen it used in this context before, can someone help me ou here? Some examples of what I'm looking at are: =+Inputs!G9 =+H17-R20 Thanks, wwhit -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com It's an unnecessary character that is there because the person ...

Copying formulae results
Hi, I am currently creating a stock control spreadsheet for work. I need t copy a column of formula results to a seperate column (the result onl not the formula). However, when I copy the total it takes the formul with it and when the numbers are deleted for each item the numbers al return to zero! Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi When you paste the result, use Edit / Paste Special / Values (or select this option from the right-click menu) -- Andy. "stevie_ray >" <<stevie_ray.17xv6r@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:stevie_ray...

Fill formulas down in macro
I'd like to create a macro that fills a formula down to the final row that has any data. -- Just filling to adjacent cells (e.g. double-clicking on the autofill button) doesn't work because some of the rows don't have data in the cells the formula is looking for. -- I know I can select all the cells below the one I entered the formula in and hit ctrl-D to fill the formula, but I need this macro to be able to run no matter how many rows of data are present. -- I tried filling the fomula all the way past the highest row number I'd ever thought I'd reach but then ...

Maintaining Formula after adding a new row
I have a formula that adds data in a column. =SUM(A5:A10). The proble is that every time I copy a new row and insert it at row 5, my formul changes to =SUM(*A6*:A10). I just want it to stay the same. I'v tried using an absolute value $A$5, but it still changes when a new ro is added. I've tried using a named reference as well as locking, but m merged cells caused some problems with the lock -- shaugh ----------------------------------------------------------------------- shaught's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3080 View this thread: ...

How do I enter a time formula into a worksheet that determines if.
How do I, set about entering a formula within a worksheet that determines if the Time is greater or less that the time in a certian cell; eg =if(now()>K17,"then display this","") K17 holding the Value 08:30 AM formated to time =IF(MOD(NOW(),1)>K17,"then display this","") HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >How do I, set about entering a formula within a worksheet that determines if >the Time is greater or less that the time in a certian cell; >eg =if(now()>K17,"then display this","") ...

Formula in MS Query
I am trying to import external data into Excel spreadsheet. One of the tables in the external data has a field "Time" for Date and time of transaction. In MS query I inserted a new column with a new name and inserted a formula Left(Filename.Time,11). The result came as "Dec 2,2003", whereas I wanted this to show as "12/02/2003", in the true date format.. What function I should use to get the desired result from MS Query. Thank you all for the help. Krish You could import the Time field in its Date/Time format, then reformat the column in Excel (Format>...

Business Alerts
Does anyone have a formula that works to alert (in GP 8.0) when "Pay code information" and/or when "Leave balances" have been changed? Thanks! David ...

How to change a formula reference?
I need to create a formula that references a range of cells. The range is supposed to be determined by what the user enters into another cell. Can a formula have a variable in it that will grab a number from another cell? For instance: =COUNTIF(N[B18]:N[B18+B18],"Y")? Where you see B18 the user has entered in a number, we will say it was 5. I need the function to reference the cells in the N column from N5 (cell B18 has a 5 in it) to N10 (B18+B18 or 5+5). I appreciate any help you all can give me. Thanks so much in advance. Brockettb Hi! Assume you enter in cells: A1 = 5...

copying formulas #6
In previous versions of Excel in a basic spreadsheet I could type a simple formula into a cell, drag it across with the handle, and it would extend the formula and fill in the result (for each column). In Excel 2003 the formula is copied but not updated for each new column. Other than double-clicking on each individual cell to update to the correct range, is there a way to do this easily? There is no difference in this regard, you probably opened a wb with calculation set to manual and now all other wbs act the same way, do tools>options>calculations and check automatic -- Fo...

Formula help #43
I have lots of groups with subtotals. I need to multiply the various subtotals by a factor (factors change depending on the group) that's in its own column and then get the product (which needs to be an even number (rounded up). Those products need to be added to the subtotal - which should now give a new subtotal for the group. Then those new group subtotals need to be added to get a Total. All I get are "0" when I try to do this. And I'm under a deadline. Is there anyone out there who can help???? Thanks. url:http://www.ureader.com/gp/1027-1.aspx It sounds as if ...

Plotting with a formula in a cell
Hi, I need help with this, I am sure it is a simple answer, but I cannot figure it out. I have a workbook with 2 worksheets in it. The first worksheet has all the inputs from my data in it, and the second worksheet has the charts in it. I have pasted the links into the second worksheet and all is fine with that, but when the value is zero, it plots it as a zero. I would like to just have it as a gap when the value is zero. I have gone into the options menu and clicked on the one that reads "NOT PLOTTED,(LEAVE GAPS)", but it does not seem to fix it. What I found is that be...

Formula #14
I am trying to add up a column, but some of the cells have a space inserted (which need to remain there), however this is giving me #Value! instead of the correct answer - any ideas, please help - it's driving me mad! Tina "Tina" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06196CE6-E1B4-4E19-A197-467B5B16D585@microsoft.com... > I am trying to add up a column, but some of the cells have a space inserted (which need to remain there), however this is giving me #Value! instead of the correct answer - any ideas, please help - it's driving me mad!! > &...

Shortcut for copying formulas referencing different worksheets
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am looking for a shortcut. I am copying the same forumula from Row 1 down the page, but where Row 1 references the next worksheet, Row 2 references the following worksheet, and so on. Is there an easy way to do this without having to go to each worksheet, find the cell and click on it? TIA -- bhigdon ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bhigdon's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23686 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/s...

How can I assign a value to a cell without putting a formula in it
I have one cell (C33) that has a list validation attached to it. The list (column A on a separate sheet called Data_text) is a series of text statements that the user can select from the drop drown. I have a second cell (C44) that has a Vlookup formula based on the contents of the first cell (C33). The Vlookup formula returns the text in column B (from the same list, Data_txt) from the selection made in column A (or what is now in C33) Both cells have only text values. I need to assign the returned Vlookup value to C44 but I don’t want to put the Vlookup formula in it. Th...

Protecting formulas in cells
I need to know how to protect only the cells that have a formula in them, and still allow editing of other cells. How. You can select special ranges by: ctrl-A to select the whole sheet Edit|goto|Special click on Formulas (or constants or blanks) Now you've just selected all the formulas (or constants or blanks). Format|Cells|Protection Tab Check Locked or uncheck Locked (depending on what you selected) Now protect the worksheet. Tools|Protection|protect sheet. ==== Depending on how many cells I want different, I'll select everything and unlock them. Then come back and lock ju...

Preserving Formulas
I have some simple raw data corresponding to five variables. I am constructing a table where, given a value for one of the variables and using the FORECAST function, the predicted values for the other four variables are calculated given the correlation of the raw data. However, I would like to make this table dynamic - so that I could input a value for ANY one of the five variables and return the expected values for the other four. As of now I do not know how to do this. Perhaps if there was a way to preserve the formula in each of the cells while still being able to input an arbitrary value....

Easy Formula Question
easy I'm sure if you know how - but I don't. Value of cells N26 and O26 are added together and result shown in P26 if both values in these two cells are zero (£0.00) I want cell P26 to be blank and not show a £0.00 value any ideas ?? thanks Use an IF function: =IF(SUM(N26:O26)=0,"",SUM(N26:O26) Andrea Jones http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk http://www.stratatraining.co.uk http://www.allaboutclait.com "Anthony" wrote: > easy I'm sure if you know how - but I don't. > > Value of cells N26 and O26 are added together and result shown in...

Creating a conditional formula to increment #s in a test script
Greetings, I have an Excel question. I am creating a test script template for our team and I an in need of some formula help. Here is what I wish to do: Let's say I have a column A in my test script. I wish to label this column with my test script # TC1 TC2 TC3...(and so on) However, the problem is I have section breaks in my test script that divides the document into sections: eg.. <LOGIN SECTION> TC1 TC2 TC3 <LOGOUT SECTION> TC4 TC5 TC6 Now the problem is that if I want to add a new test case to the "Login section" above, I need ...

Formula to always point to C drive (peer to peer network)
I have a file in which the cells reference the C drive. If I open that file on another computer it then changes to be the drive for the computer I last edited it on, or the network file letter (if that is the correct way to put it). Is there a way to always keep it referencing the "C" drive no matter which computer opens it or edits it? -- David P. -- David P. ...

lookup in vba
I am trying to write a vba code that accomplished the following exce code, can anyone help =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(...)),"",VLOOKUP(...)) I have wrriten the following If WorksheetFunction.IsNA(WorksheetFunction.Lookup(Range("a3") Range("j1:j5"), Range("l1:l5"))) = True Then .... but when I run I get an error messege telling that I can not find th lookup function, I think its due to the fact that the return is N/ since when I put on a cell that has an answear I get a response -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This works for me Dim ans ...

formula in different worksheets
If I have the following formula in a worksheet to bring up a message box =IF((F4-E4)>=15,PromptPayment()+F4-E4,F4-E4) How can I transfer some information from different cells to a new worksheet if the formula above works? Thanks Monty Hi formulas can't change other formulas. If you need such things maybe the following is interesting for you: http://www.dicks-blog.com/archives/2004/12/22/functions-that-do-things/trackback/ -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Monty" <Monty@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:30A14E15-4B1D-47AA-8DDE-7969...

Multiple matches using LOOKUP
Hello everyone, Here is what I am trying to accomplish. Based on Column A or ORDER_NOTE I need to find the respective match in column C. It perfectly works for 1 match. What if I have three or more matches how to force excel to look for others? This formula is inside of macro. I can use count function to find out how many times 'ORDER_NOTE' appeared. ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=LOOKUP(""ORDER_NOTE"",Range(""A:A""),Range(""C:C""))" Also, is it possible to concatenate all the finding of column C that match 'ORDE...

Nested functions in conditional formatting formulae
I am trying to format a range of cells as a function of cell value compared with other cells. My attempts have failed so far. For e.g.: =OR(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN())=$B$18,ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN())=$B$17) =OR(INDIRECT(CONCATENATE("R",(ROW()+1),"C",COLUMN()),FALSE)=B17) I do not wish to write VB code. Thanks in advance for any ideas. Maybe you could post what you are trying to achive it's hard to guess what you are trying to do -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Joseph" <Joseph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3331CF9E-E84E-44D0-8186-6F9E19DEE2...

Formula or VBA help
Hi group - I have a very simple task, but having trouble figuring how to do it. I have values in a range of cells, let's say A1:A10. In cell A11, I have a formula that sums that range. In cell A12, I have a value that reads =$10,000.00. What I'm trying to accomplish is a prompt or something that will not allow any more data to be entered when the value in A12 has been reached. In this example, it's $10,000. Any help is greatly appreciated. My brain is now warped from thinking too much :-) Thanks in advance, Newtechie New, Select A1:A10. Data - Validation - Custom: =$A...

Tab spacing in formula...
I have a sheet that pulls info from several other fields to create a text string. The problem is that I need all of the values from my other cells to be a tab space apart. Right now they are separated by several spaces, but it is throwing off my numbers. example, what I have: Name Date Value John 2.20.07 1 Dan 3.20.07 2 example, what I need: Name Date Value John 2.20.07 1 Dan 3.20.07 2 Franky 4.05.07 3 I imagine you have a formula like: =A1&" "&B1&" "&C1 so you are putting a fixed number of...