locking page layout but allowing data entry

I have a data sheet with merged cells, borders etc. I wish to allow data
entry and mods including moving lines of data (control x) and pasting.
At present this also removes merged cells and erases borders.
Is there any way to create a locked format for a sheet which prevents
users from changing cells, merges, borders etc,  but still allows data
to be moved without affecting the sheet; ie merged cells stay merged
and drawn borders are not erased?
Thank you for some expertise.

The easiest thing is not 100% effective--but it may be enough.

For the worksheet that should stop the copy(cut)|paste, rightclick on the
worksheet tab and select view code.  Paste this in:

Option Explicit
    Application.CutCopyMode = False
End Sub

If the user copies from that same worksheet, then changes to a different cell,
the copy is cleared from the clipboard.

(But it won't stop copy|paste from different worksheets/workbooks.)

ianguk wrote:

> I have a data sheet with merged cells, borders etc. I wish to allow data
> entry and mods including moving lines of data (control x) and pasting.
> At present this also removes merged cells and erases borders.
> Is there any way to create a locked format for a sheet which prevents
> users from changing cells, merges, borders etc,  but still allows data
> to be moved without affecting the sheet; ie merged cells stay merged
> and drawn borders are not erased?
> Thank you for some expertise.

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

Transfer 56 Pages of Data From Clipboard=?ISO-8859-1?B?iiA=?=To Clipboard?
You Mean there IS a Multi-Panel Clipboard in Office 2004?!? Oooppps! I Haven't seen it! Any Clues where it Might Be? You Guys are Great: Thanks for All the Help!! Sea Mac I'm Putting the Stock Phrases in the Scrapbook for Now but will chase down this Auto-Text thing. I hadn't seen it because I'm not using Office 2004 yet, so don't waste any time on my careless words. On 9/30/04 10:21 PM, "Sea Mac" wrote: > You Mean there IS a Multi-Panel Clipboard in Office 2004?!? Oooppps! I > Haven't seen it! Any Clues where it Might Be? You Guys are Gr...

refer to data on multiple worksheets using hlookup/look up data on many worksheets?
Hi I have data on many worksheets in the same workbook. Is it possible to look up data on multiple worksheets using Hlookup, which means can the second argument in the formula refer to multiple sources? If it is not possible, is there any other way I can do so? I would like to select and display data according to a fixed order, whereby the data is located in one of many worksheets in the same workbook. For eg, I have stock returns of many firms in many worksheets. Say I would like to display in a single worksheet the returns of Firm D, Firm Z, Firm R; whereby the data of these 3 fir...

Making sure data is saved on closing application
Hi, I have built myself the following application from 'Teach Yourself Visual C++ in 21 Days' chapter 'Day 14 - Retrieving Data from an ODBC Database' http://serghei.net/docs/programming/c++/ty%20visualC++6%2021%20days/ch14/ch14.htm The application lets you edit and add records to a database (as well as just retreive them). The application uses recordset flags in code to make sure that data is saved if you edit one record and move to another. However, there is no code to make sure new or edited data is saved when the application is exited. After having poked about, I have...

How to access data buffers in a completion routine for a KMDF driv
I'm porting a WDM upper filter driver to KMDF version. I have two questions about data accessing in a completion routine. 1. In the completion routine of my WDM upper filter driver, it was able to retrieve data from Irp->AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer( The IRP is using Method Neither I/O, and the data was set by function driver). How to do this for my KMDF driver? 2. In the completion routine of my WDM upper filter driver, it was able to retrieve data by calling MmGetSystemAddressForMdlSafe(Irp->MdlAddress, NormalPagePriority)( The IRP is using Method Neither I/O, and t...

Automatically moving data #4

Get Access Data into Excel
Hi All, I am using excel macro to get data from access database. My sql query gives me 5 records or more than that. I am able to pull it different cells. But I want all the 5 results in single cell. Please help im not exactly sure what your trying to do, but maybe something like this will do the trick dim accval as string accval=rs!:XXX rs.movenext accval=accval & " " & rs!:xxx loop it till rs.eof=true hth dmoney "fi.or.jp.de" wrote: > Hi All, > > I am using excel macro to get data from access database. >...

Vertical Page Break
Is it possible to force a vertical page break on a report? For example, I have a report that is 20 inches across, and I would it to "break"/start the new page at 10 inches. Now, fiddling with the page setup and page layout is fine when I am working with only one printer, but the formatting gets slightly messed up when I am printing across different printers, to PDF, etc. Any ideas on how this vertical page break can be done? Thanks! that sure would be nice to have I'd reccomend just putting the page 2 below page 1.. and use more subreports if you run out of room On ...

Cut'n'Pasting data
Greetings ! I have a CSV data file wot looks something like this - "1529.17698720957","133.597550559965" "1685.21901149326","132.817184396522" "1900.00000000000","130.300887834893" "2193.34485206410","121.730777157435" "2363.17295960769","114.937652855693" "2523.01169878763","108.544103288496" "3240.77088467590","87.805735336415" "3590.69860622591","81.680775462264" "4229.19543928027","78.487652800160" This data i...

How to display page tabs vertically?
How do I set tab pages be displayed vertically (left side). By default, they are set on top, I need them on the left side. Please assist. Thank you for any tip/help provided. Adnan -- Please post all your inquiries on this community so we can all benefit - Thank you! "Adnan" <te_adnani@hotmail.com(donotspam)> wrote in message news:B06E82F0-ED1C-4E9A-B65C-FB6D7C48248C@microsoft.com... > How do I set tab pages be displayed vertically (left side). By default, > they > are set on top, I need them on the left side. Please assist. > > Thank you for any tip/he...

Automating transfer of data in cells
I have a time management spreadsheet with data stored against work type and date. I need to transfer this data into a similar but more comprehensive spreadsheet and wonder whether it is possible to automate this task by using the work types and dates in a macro (I have almost 10 months of data to transfer), along the lines of check date, check worktype, where argument is true enter data from cell. I think I need to use visual basic, but I can't find out how in the help screens. Any advice is much appreciated. This is not difficult providing you keep your data in simple tables...

Saving data #2
Hi all, I need to save data (results) from a base spread sheet program that i use on a weekly basis. i am in the middle of building this program, and have just discovered macros, but this, along with links is about my current knowledge of excel how can i automate to accumulate data from the base spread sheet (program) when i clear all data from the program to produce fresh results the following week, and to keep past data up to date and available for further use. Any help would be appreciated. legepe With a combination of formulas and dynamic named ranges, it is possible to just add the ...

Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange Ser
Hi I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail then gets stuck in my outbox. I still receive all email and this only happends over one particular broadband connection??? If i use dial up it works and if i go to some other broadband connection it works... any ideas? _VERITAS_ wrote: > Hi > I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from > the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail > then gets stuck in my outbox. I s...

Page Cannot Be Displayed....
I have 2 clients that have intermittent loss of access to CRM 3.0 via the web browser. One is running XP, the other Win 2000. I have applied all patches and updates to Windows, Office, CRM and CRM Client, everything. There are times it will work one minute and not the next, and sometimes it will work for a day or 2. The Browser says Page Cannot be Displayed. Trying to access CRM through Outlook give an error saying something about an Authentication error. (I don't have the exact error message at this time). All other clients on the network are having no issues with CRM via the we...

Printing on 2 sides of a page?
How can I print a 2 page spreadsheet on the front and back of the same sheet of paper? Using Excel 2008. Thanks! It depends on whether your printer supports duplex printing. Check your printer's features to find out. If it does, the setting will be available in the Print dialog. You can also do a "manual duplex" job by printing page 1 (or 'Odd pages'), flipping the paper yourself, then print page 2 (or 'Even pages')... If it's only 2 pages that might be the simplest approach. -- HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac "Rick"...

How can I go to a specific page number in a large document
How do I go to a specific page number in a large word document. Read the replies to your earlier identical post -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "yisaajao" <yisaajao@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CFC4289D-FC93-4C1B-951B-DB08CED833...

How do I make footnotes appear on each page (cross ref)?
I have cross referenced several footnotes throughout my document. Is there a way to display the footnote on each page where it is referenced? For example, if footnote 2 is on page 4 and I have cross referenced it again on page 10, it is possible to display the footnote text again on page 10? Not without creating a new footnote, no. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "lapple" <lapple@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:392F1F11-6EFB-49E7-9348-FDE7CA6A0E4D@microsoft.com... &g...

OLook Locks up when attempting to delete large file in out box.
Outlook keeps trying to send a file that is way too large. I didn't notice it was so large until after a few days of OL being extremely slow and using up my CPU at 100%. How can I delete this file? I have tried going to the outbox and selecting delete, but it will not delete. Can find the location of the data, but not the file that needs to be deleted. Try the easy fix: Select File, Work Offline, Delete the messages "SNR" wrote: > Outlook keeps trying to send a file that is way too large. I didn't notice > it was so large until after a few days of OL being ext...

map data (x-y axis) with diffent series name
I have a set of x-y coordinate data set and i would like to plot them showing the respective series name. Is there an automatic way of doing this without haing to plot the data points separately. eg Name x y A 1 6 B 2 3 C 3 4 D 4 2 E 5 5 .. . . .. . . .. . . I will like to have a plot of x and y with A, B, C as series name without having to plot the points one after the other. Hi, Here are a couple of free addins that allow you to link data labels to cells. Rob Bovey's Char...

Page numbering 12-04-09
I have taken the trouble to review all the related previous posts but do not see the answer to meet my needs. I have a 7 page document which consists of a front and back cover 2 pages each and so far 3 pages of report. Page 2 is followed by a section break next page while page 5 is followed by a section break next page. In addition I also put a section break at the end of the document which I should not need. Numbering starts on page 3 as page 1 of Y which seems to work fine. However, page 4 and 5 do not display page numbers while page 6 displays page 1 of 6 and page 7 i...

Hidden data when pasting from html page into Excel?
I have a situation where I copy a report, which is generated as an html page, into Excel for analysis. When a new copy/version of the report is available, I copy and paste the new data over top of the old in Excel. I've noticed that the size of my Excel file is growing after each copy/paste situation. To manage this, I can delete the worksheet where I paste the data and reconstruct it. After doing nothing else, saving the workbook results in an immediate reduction of file size. If I simply select everything on the sheet and delete, the file size does NOT go down; I have to delet...

Outlook 2002 and Retrieving Data Error Message
OS is Windows XP SP1 Email - Outlook 2002 SP3 Error Message: Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server <server name>. You can cancel the request or minimize this message to the Windows taskbar until Outlook closes the message automatically. Other Related Issues: At times, the message displays the correct server name and sometime it does not. At times, it displays the name of an active directory server. This only happens to workstations located in an remote office connecting to the exchange server via ADSL\VPN connection. We have one exchange 2003 server - public...

Determining and Printing a specific page
I have a HUGE Excel spreadsheet and I only want to print a certain page. Is there any way that I can tell what page the row resides on so that I can specifically print only that page of the spreadsheet??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance! "wnfisba" <wnfisba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F732030-938F-411B-9C46-B1885E6EAD33@microsoft.com... >I have a HUGE Excel spreadsheet and I only want to print a certain page. Is > there any way that I can tell what page the row resides on so that I can > specifically print only that p...

Error message for data table
I tried to change a data table and now I cannot get the information that was there before or move on I am using a school lab from and everytime I try to reopen Excel it takes me dirrectly to the page with the error. So I need to know how to get it to let me refresh or delete the data table and start over. Hi, I think you need to contact the administrator of the lab. Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Abigail" <Abigail@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C19ED7B6-8EDA-4549-A98D-8C85093C3327@microsoft.com... >I tri...

Using INDIRECT in named range for chart data series
I recently read a post that described how to use the indirect function to define named ranges for a chart series. I attempted to do the same, but still get a message from the data series editor that my formula contains an invalid reference. This is the formula for the series: =SERIES("Load",Data!Time,Data!Load,1) and Time is defined in the Data worksheet as: =INDIRECT(Data!$Q$10):INDIRECT(Data!$Q$11) Load is defined as: =INDIRECT(Data!$Q$6):INDIRECT(Data!$Q$7) Where the values in Q6, Q7, Q10, and Q11 refer to the desired starting and ending addresses of the seri...