links are breaking ??

We have a few excel files which link to other files.  Several people use them
each month.  We are experiencing broken links (like someone chose to break
the links or copied/pasted values).

Is there any excel reason this could be happening, or is it definitely user
error?
0
KMiles1 (5)

I've never seen excel convert formulas to values without someone asking for to
do it.

I'd start the investigation with the users!

(And you're sure there are no macros lurking that could be doing this in
error???)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Links in Excel #4
Hello, I have an excel worksheet that has links to information in other workbooks. I no longer need the links to information. Is there a way to delete the links so I don't get a message everytime I open the file asking if I want to update information? I looked at Edit>links which shows the links but there isn't a delete button. It just lists update, open source, and change source. Thanks for any help you can offer. ...

Linking a column with a row
I'm trying to set up Excel to link several rows with several columns. I guess I could do it manually with the "=" function for everyone, but that'd take a long time and a chance of a mistake is fairly high. What I have is 2 sheets, On sheet two, I have a chemical that is broken down into 8 pieces of data going from H3 to H10, I then have a space and then repeat for a another chemical with 8 pieces of data from H12 to H19 and I repeat for several hundred. On sheet one, I need to have those 8 pieces show up in a row, so H3 from sheet two shows up in N9, H4 shows up ...

Linking formula #2
I have two sheets, and I want to link information from one to the other. The difficulty is that on sheet 1, the data is entered in every consecutive cell down a column, but on sheet 2, I want that data linked to every third cell down the column. So, it goes like this: A1 on sheet 1 - A1 on sheet 2 A2 on sheet 1 - A4 on sheet 2 A3 on sheet 1 - A7 on sheet 2 and so on. Can somebody help? Jonathan -- Jonibenj ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Jonibenj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=17048 View...

Can't send links
Trying to send links to sites of interest to various contacts. Have tried directly with site on screen, and from "favorites", but can't figure out how to do the renaming of the link to bypass the security filter. "Help" feature wasn't. send text links instead - mailto_url makes it easy... http://www.slipstick.com/addins/gallery/index.htm#mailto -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outloo...

link up accts from mymoney and msn money on web
Currently using MNY2004, and trying to download creditcard stmts(macys credit account) into my mny file from msn money web site, but it does not link up. So by upgrading to MNY2007, would I be able to acheive it. Using url : http://www.microsoft.com/money/bankonline.aspx, to determine whether my CreditCard Company(macys credit account) is results in a windowthat states: Statements Direct Services* are the fastest, easiest way to connect with your financial institution and have your statements automatically downloaded into Money. * This service is provided by a third party provider, n...

New Excel data does not appear in linked Access table
I have an Excel2000 worksheet which contains 5 columns of data. I created a table in Access97 which is linked to the worksheet. For the last year, any data added to the worksheet appears in the table. Now the worksheet exceeds 1,683 rows. All data in rows 1684 and beyond does not appear in the table. The worksheet has never had any Named Ranges. Following the suggestion in article 197232, I defined a name range which included data in rows 1 to 2000. Data in rows 1684 and beyond is still not visible in the table. Is the "restriction" in Access or Excel? How can I get around thi...

Speeding up access programs with linked tables
The business that i help program is running with alot of access programs and many of them seem to be extremely slow when they are using linked tables. what are some possible solutions for this situation? Thanks, Nathan What are the linked to? Other Access databases or some other database such as SQL Server or Oracle? If another database, look into creating views in them that gathers up the data especially if there are table joins. Also research pass-through queries where the work in done on the database server and not Access. If linked to other Access databases, then prop...

Mail Attachments/Links
I'm using Outlook 2002 but cannot open attachments and links contained in received messages. Suggestions? You mean links send as attachments (lnk- and url-files)? These are considered unsafe and are therefore blocked. It's better to have you send text based links instead. When this is not possible you can unblock them by the steps posted below http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/blockedattachments.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "n...

Linked Tables headache
Hi I have a database with 43 linked files. Normally, when I need to link it to a new version of the back end, I use the Linked Table Manager, I thick Always Prompt for New Location, then click on Select All, then browse to where the back end is, and it links all the tables. Now, it is asking me again for each individual table. This is totally unacceptable from the clients point of view. 1) It takes all day. 2) It's too much can go wrong. Is there any way I can write my own routine to do this properly? Stapes See http://www.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0009.htm at "The Access Web"...

linking worksheets with drop downs
I am trying to link worksheets that have multiple drop downs and time (in minutes and hours) that auto calculate. the goal is to be able to tally how much time is spent per week in the codes we have listed in the drop downs. Example: if I spend 1:45 on Monday in code -0641, on Tues 30 minutes, Wed 2:58 I would need those to tally into the final worksheet. I know how to link sheets but for some reason this sheet will not link. Is it because of the drop downs or the auto timing or both? or something else? please help! Thanks! the dropdowns aren't hurting anything. you can use the ...

spurious line breaks + print preview crashes
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Dear Mactopia, <br><br>I have recently bought word08 on mac (French language). I have a problem when working on document with several pages: while typing text (no figures or tables), word adds page breaks without any reasons sometimes one line after the preceding page break. Sometimes the page break is automatically removed: its presence seems driven by the fact I time carriage returns, but I am not sure. Note that the problem occurs even when removing automatic corrections, and single lines preventi...

Internet Explorer 8 links issue
Hi All! I have a simple website I created using Windows Publisher. Up until I installed Internet Explorer 8, I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I installed IE8, and next thing you know, whenever I go to the website, the links that normally appear on the left hand side of the webpages are gone! I used IE7 on another computer to check out the website, and the links are there and I can surf to other pages with no difficulties! Is there any changes I can make to IE8 - I used pretty much the default settings... Thanks! First, Publisher should never be used for website work,...

Linking Excel to a Word Document
I have created a rather extensive Excel program and I have also written a "Users' Manual" in Word to help people using the program. I have been working on trying to put a link in the Excel document to open up the Users' Manual when it is clicked. This works well, except the link must be re-created every time I put the program on a new computer. Is there any way to attached the word file to the Excel file in a way that this link will not break down when I put it on a new computer. One final note, the Word document is 50 some pages long so it is not possible to simpl...

dead links
I have a workbook that had links to another document but now I want to remove those links but I cannot find the cell that has the links. Every time I open the workbook it prompts for this linked file since it can't find it, how do I remove all links to other workbooks? tjb The link may not be in a cell. Could be in a defined name. Insert>Name>Define. Anything in there that is linked to another file? Alternative......Download Bill Manville's FINDLINK.XLA from Stephen Bullen's website. http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/Default.htm It is a ZIP file. You will need WinZip or ...

Outlook won't link to IE
I received mail OK but internet links in mail messages don't open or effect Internet Explorer. I E seems to work OK by itself. Wha Hahpen?? In IE go to Tools > Internet Options and go to the Programs tab. Make sure the email program you are using is selected under the email option and hit OK. It is possible you may have to hit the reset web settings button to make this work properly. "zlucky" <zlucky@snet.net> wrote in message news:04ba01c34cd3$a89dcc30$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I received mail OK but internet links in mail messages > don't open or effect Inte...

Page Break Macro
I have a sheet set up with a pivot table that is ready to print, except the auto-positioning of page breaks sometimes breaks up related items. Main row fields are in column A, and sub-related items are directly underneath that and indented in column B (like an outline view). I'd like to see if the page break is happening in the middle of the sub-items (so B has a value) and just move the break up above the main row item (where B is empty). Here is my humble attempt so far, which does the job correctly once but then does not advance down the worksheet. I think once I set a manual p...

email links to outlook
Hello, Whenever I view a web page or any other web document and there is a mail to: link or an "highlighted" email link, It opens MS Outlook to my in box and NOT directly to a "NEW MAIL" document. I have used other computers elsewhere and the email links open a new mail document. How can I fix this? I am using Windows 2000 and an using Outlook 2000 Please respond directly to my email at: hshi@gate.net Since I don't know if i can get back to this area again. Thanks, Charles ...

Linked combo boxes
Hi, This is my problem. I must create four combo boxes to display unique data (from numerous duplicate entries), where the data displayed is dependant upon the previous combo box. An example of data may be: Class Category Sub-Cat Type Joe Truck Lease 2007 Joe Van Rent 2005 Joe Van Sale 2008 Pete Car Sale 2004 Pete Truck Lease 2008 Pete Truck Rent 2004 Pete Van Sale 2006 David SUV Lease 2007 David Van Rent 2007 Jenny Truck Rent 2005 Jenny Car Lease 2001 Jenny Car Sale 2008 Niel SUV Sale 2004 I select JOE -> then a choice of TRUCK or VAN, then if TRUCK, -> LEASE -> 2007, or if I ...

Build a link to an other excell document.
Hi! I've managed to link fileds to an other excell document. IE. ='C:\[calc2009.xls]Page1'!A1 But now I'm trying to build a link so that it updates with a new year every time you change the year. IE. in B1 I write the year 2010. Now the link in B2 changes to ='C:\[calc2010.xls]Page1'!A1 I've tried with ='C:\[calc&B1&.xls]Page1'!A1 and similiar, but with no success. Is this possible? Thanks for your help! The function you'd want to use is =indirect(). But =indirect() won't work if the sending file is closed. Laurent...

linking fields which may be incomplete
I have a table of 3,000 disciplinary cases from the past four years which my school has tracked. The identifier we used was a. student's name, and b. the last four digits of their SSN. I am now need to find their full SSN. We have a "warehouse" of master tables, which I can link to. Many of these tables contain the full SSNs of the students. The question is, is there anyway to link the fields together (one field including only the last four digits of the SSN, one field which is the whole SSN) in a way that I can find the full SSN of only the students in my ta...

linking two cells from two different worksheets
This may sound like a basic question, but I can't figure out how to mak it so when you enter information into cell A1 on worksheet 1, i populates into cell A1 in worksheet 2(when it is blank), AND that cel A1 in worksheet 2 (when data is filled in) will populate into cell A of worksheet 1(when it is blank). Is this a circular reference issue? New lines are constantly being added to this file from two differen sources, so the range will automatically have to change as well.... I' sure that this is possible, and can be set up for the entire column i each respective sheet. Any help woul...

Break Link in Excel 97
I just notice that there is no Break Link feature on MS Excel Version 97. Is there a way where I can break the link of a file? I can do that on excel xp. Mark Hi Mark! There is a addin called "dellink.xla" that you can use to delete the link (see http://support.microsoft.com/?id=188449), but if you need to keep the results from the link, then you have to manually copy the cells, and paste it as values, or use Excel 2002 or 2003 to remove the link. Best regards Stefan H�gglund Microsoft "M P" <mark@textguru.ph> wrote in message news:OXZv5ZnhEHA.3320@TK2MSFT...

SQL Server 2000, Exchange, COM-Add in for Outlook XP; Dynamically link ACCESS xp & SQL SERVER???
Can SQL Server 2000 manage the contacts in Exchange? Is there any connectivity between SQL Server and Outlook XP? Furthermore, can SQL Server 2000 sorta replace Exchange, i.e. can it communicate DIRECTLY with MS Outlook? I know MS Outlook XP can use mail merge functions utilizing a SQL Server connection, but can contacts be inputed in Outlook and then be reflected in SQL Server 2000? Perhaps using a COM-Addin??? I ask because my web hosting service has MS SQL SErver 2000 installed. But for an email server, they use Unix qmail. Ideally, I want to figure out if I should outsource the email se...

Linking incremental cells from another worksheet
I am trying to link every fith cell in a column to sequential lines on my main worksheet. The formula I am using for the first cell link is =+'Master Query'!$F2 and I want the next cell to have the formula =+'Master Query'!$F7, the next =+'Master Query'!$F12, etc... for 500 lines. Anyone have ideas on how I can do this will minimal manual typing. Assuming your formulas are located in F2, F7, and F12: highlight and copy F2:F12. Paste this into F17, which will provide formulas for F22 and F27. Highlight and copy F2:F27 and paste into F32. Highlight and copy F2:F...

Locate Link Browser?
When I go to click on a link in the emails I get a webpage that comes up but doesn't go anywhere and when I go back to my email I get Locate Link Browser it has never done this before and I've done every thing I can think of to get rid of this. However after I close the Locate Link Browser I go back to the email and click on the same link and it will open the webpage in the same webpage that was up unless I've closed it and then it does the Locate Link Browser thing. ...