linking several data sheet into one master workbook

I have a workbook that contains 5 worksheets that are the
same except that each one is for a different business
unit. There are also a couple of other sheets that do
some comparisons of the data by business unit.
What I want to do is make it so that each business unit
can do data entry without the others locking them out. So
I have created separate workbooks for each unit.
The problem is when I open the worksheet with the overall
reporting, I want to have an exact copy of the raw data
(i.e. formatting and all) in the worksheet.  I have tried
to link worksheets cell by cell but where there are
blanks in the data sheet in the report workbook they show
up as "0".

Hi
not possible (especially the formating issue)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Dennis Schuessler wrote:
> I have a workbook that contains 5 worksheets that are the
> same except that each one is for a different business
> unit. There are also a couple of other sheets that do
> some comparisons of the data by business unit.
> What I want to do is make it so that each business unit
> can do data entry without the others locking them out. So
> I have created separate workbooks for each unit.
> The problem is when I open the worksheet with the overall
> reporting, I want to have an exact copy of the raw data
> (i.e. formatting and all) in the worksheet.  I have tried
> to link worksheets cell by cell but where there are
> blanks in the data sheet in the report workbook they show
> up as "0".
0
frank.kabel (11126)
7/30/2004 2:37:37 PM
About the only thing I see in his question that IS possible is making zero
values appear as blank (if I interpret his question correctly). It's done
using a formula like this actual example (as seen on TV!)

=IF($A14=0,"",$A14*G14)

Turned into a traditional IF loop from a programming language:

IF A14=0
THEN cell where formula resides should be blank
OTHERWISE the cell = A14 x G14
ENDIF

> Hi
> not possible (especially the formating issue)
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>

> Dennis Schuessler wrote:
> > I have a workbook that contains 5 worksheets that are the
> > same except that each one is for a different business
> > unit. There are also a couple of other sheets that do
> > some comparisons of the data by business unit.
> > What I want to do is make it so that each business unit
> > can do data entry without the others locking them out. So
> > I have created separate workbooks for each unit.
> > The problem is when I open the worksheet with the overall
> > reporting, I want to have an exact copy of the raw data
> > (i.e. formatting and all) in the worksheet.  I have tried
> > to link worksheets cell by cell but where there are
> > blanks in the data sheet in the report workbook they show
> > up as "0".

merging into Word with filtered data
Hello, I'm trying to do a merge in Word using data from Excel. However, I don't want to merge using data from the whole worksheet, but just filtered data (all people from London - place is one of the fields in the worksheet. I have no idea how I might do this. Any help gratefully received. I believe you can accomplish this from Word by using "Query Options" and selecting to merge only those records you're seeking. HTH PC "Italian Pete" <ItalianPete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E62FCDC-42EC-48DB-92AC-857B224F085F@microsoft.c...

Data Loss in Publisher
Hi I run a W2k network in a school. I have Office Group Policies in place forcing the default save location for Publisher documents (Office XP version) to the pupil's home folders. All my PCs are identical (ghost images). Pupils have roaming profiles (some mandatory). Some users save work in Publisher and the next time they log on to the network and open the saved file, it's contents have gone! There is nothing exceptional about the affected users' user accounts and they have a mixture of mandatory and roaming profiles. Has anyone come across this problem before? Than...

merging 3 spreadsheets into one based upon a single common data field
OK I hope you guys can help me out. Here is the scenario. I have 3 spreadsheets. The main spreadsheet I working with has 500 lines with a unique number string. The next two spreadsheets have about 12000 lines but also contain the same unique string as the first spreadsheet. I want to search the 2nd and 3rd spreadsheet using the first spreadsheets unique id number and then take the information from the 2nd and 3rd spreadsheet and then merge it into the first. Does that make since? Any help would be great. -- xchosen --------------------------------------------------------------------...

Contacts File Link?
I have several computers on a home network and WLM does a fine job of keeping the contacts in sync on all the computer. I am giving one of the systems to a friend. What is the best way to un-sync the contacts file on the system that I am giving away so they can have there own contacts file? Uninstall WL and reinstall with a new WL ID or Passport? Create a new Windows user. Remove the old user. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "Ken" <krlorenz@comcast.net> wrote in message news:2099F8C5-9BCE-4229-A3D2-5187C1F4FFF9@microsoft.com... > I have several...

Any way to clear out stock pricing data before or after going to Quicken?
With all the discussion a few months ago about taking control of our own data, I had gone through the steps to look at my Money file as an Access DB, and found that of my 80MB, more than half was daily stock prices. Thats not something I really want to convert and maintain. I can't imagine that its really needed, since transactions have their own price info. Is there any way to get rid of it in Money, in Quicken, or other? Thanks In Money Plus: Portfolio > Other Tasks > More > Clear historical quotes The process may be different in earlier versions. "JDelMar&q...

moving large amounts of data from one db to another
I have a table that has millions of rows of data in it, which then references another table with millions of referenced (matching by foreign key constraints)... I need to move this data from database A to a new database B, is there any way to do this and preserve the identity columns and their referential integrity?) Thanks! You can't have integrated RI across databases so that part is out. But you can certainly insert and keep the identities. Take a look at SET IDENTITY INSERT in BOL. -- Andrew J. Kelly SQL MVP Solid Quality Mentors "Smokey Grindel"...

record sheet row order, then restore to that point
There is the ability to undo a sort so I suspect the information I want is somewhere. Is there a way to take a "snap shot" of a sheet's current row order, and then restore that row order at any point in the future? During sheet processing, rows will not be added, but data in any cell may change. The only other way I can think of doing this, is to record the order of some "signature" column and then use it to re-write the processed sheet to a scratch sheet. Thank you Add a new column before you do the 1st sort with number 1 to last row. then sor tby ...

Expand/Contract grouped columns in protected sheet
I�m trying to protect a sheet that has a pivottable with grouped columns. The problem is , after protecting the sheet , I can�t expand/contract the table. I get an error saying that I can�t use that command because it�s a protected sheet. Is there anyway around this? I.E. How can I protect a sheet, and still expand/contract a pivottable? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Pulling data from multiple worksheets
I have one worksheet with a listing of client numbers and names. I would like to be able to type in a client number on another worksheet and have the client name automatically populate. Look at the Vlookup function or the combination of Index / Match. Vlookup will be a little more straight forward for a first timer but Index / Match is generally speaking a more flexible and less error prone solution. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "parthur" wrote: > I have one worksheet with a listing of client numbers and names. I would > like to be able to type in a clie...

Has anyone linked MS Access and MS Money?
Greetings. I have a registration database for a school that uses MS Access. Our book keeper uses Quicken, so that all the student names, addresses, etc. needs to be entered twice. I am thinking of migrating the financial records to MS Money, so that we can do some VBA programming or the like to send student data from Access to Money. Does anyone know if this can be done, or have any experience doing this sort of thing? Thanks! Gary See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=10 in specific and http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?cat=3 in general. "GaryDave" <garydave@hotmail.com> w...

Help with an expression to calculate a profit from one of three fi
Using Access 2003 SP3 - in Forms I know I'm probably asking a very complex question, so a very big THANK YOU to whomever can help. I am doing a detailed inventory and need help with an expression in my form that will calculate my profit based on one of three fields. Only one field would have the end data. To clarify what I am working with: Most stock items come by the "unit" and contain multiple "subunits" which, in turn, contain smaller "pieces." However, some "units" only come with "subunits" and some only come as &quo...

having renamed a workbook my password does not work
yesterday I split and renamed a huge excel workbook which was password protected. Today the password does not allow me to open either document. I have been using the password for ages and know it is case sensitive. Help Did you hit the caps lock by mistake? Lyndsayd wrote: > > yesterday I split and renamed a huge excel workbook which was password > protected. Today the password does not allow me to open either document. > I have been using the password for ages and know it is case sensitive. > > Help -- Dave Peterson ...

summarise data
I have data on a sheet looking like this 5/5/2004 5/5/2004 7/5/2004 7/5/2004 7/5/2004 7/5/2004 8/5/2004 9/5/2004 9/5/2004 9/5/2004 and I want to summarise this into different cells so that it look like 5/5/2004 7/5/2004 8/5/2004 9/5/2004 i.e. I want to list individual occurances of repeating dates o numbers. Any help would be much appreciated -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Sounds like a job or a Pivot Table perhaps? http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-pivot-tables.htm ** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training, Add-ins & Business Software Galore...

creating a program that uses data from a sensor....
Hello, I want to create an MFC program that uses parameter values passed to it from a meter (specifically the resistance in ohms of resisters in an electronic circuit). What are the hardware components that would be needed? And what MFC class(es) would I use to accomplish this? Thanks, RABMissouri2006 On 21 Oct 2006 08:10:50 -0700, "RAB" <rabmissouri@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hello, > >I want to create an MFC program that uses parameter values passed to it >from a meter (specifically the resistance in ohms of resisters in an >electronic circuit). What are the ha...

Data archive with GP Manufacturing
Has anyone had experience with any data archive with GP Manufacturing. The product from Professional Advantage does not support Manufacturing archive, at least not in the documentation. Don't have an answer for you but we will be doing the same in the next week or so. Will report back when done. "DavidInterDyn" wrote: > Has anyone had experience with any data archive with GP Manufacturing. The > product from Professional Advantage does not support Manufacturing archive, > at least not in the documentation. ...

Transfering Outlook Data to a New PC
I've just built a new PC. Currently it has nothing on it other than Windows. When I install Outlook 2003 I'll need to transfer the data from another PC onto it, including all folders, emails and attachments in them and calendar data. What's the easiest and most effective way to do this? Find the PST file and copy it to the new machine and into the appropriate directory, what? Thanks. Copy the pst(s) to the new PC There isnt an appropriate Folder, there is a default folder created when Outlook is installed. http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm "Marts&q...

Can I calculate a field with 2 different filter criteria in one q
Hi, I have a data source table with a customer name field and various metrics fields, I'd like to sum metric "a" based on customer name being like "abc" and another sum of metric "a" where the customer name is NOT LIKE "abc" in one query, but I can't seem to figure this out, but, I'm a novice at this. Best I can figure is 2 different queries, then a 3rd query to bring the two together. Thanks -- Jim jimd wrote: >Hi, I have a data source table with a customer name field and various metrics >fields, I'd like to sum metric &...

Locking of entered data
I haev a form that currently allows you to enter new records and edit existing records. My key field is based on a number entered by the user from another system. Once the number is entered I do not want the user to be able to type over that number but still be aloud to add a new record. I tried the AllowAdditions and AllowEdits in the properties but if I set them to Yes AllowAdditions and No AllowEdits then nothing can be changed. I want them to be able to edit everything but the one field containing the number. Ideas? Glenna, The code I provided would go in the two places that I...

how can I split one cell's data into two cells?
I am using Excel as a database, and have a column with cells with a person's name (text) in it...e.g., John Smith. NOW, after the fact, I wish to have a column with just John in it, and another column with just Smith...but I have NO idea how to do this! Help would be appreciated. Thank you. Please refrain from multiposting, you have answers in one of the 4! newsgroups you posted the same question in. Multiposting is frowned upon and even the MS web interface states so -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com "It ...

Losing data in flashdrive
I am experiencing in losing data in flashdrives. It seems that when files are copied onto flashdrive, I should wait for a while before removing flashdrives from USB port. Does anybody know how long should I wait before unplugging flashdrives. Jorge Are you using the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the notification area? If so, it should tell you when you can remove the drive. ....Alan -- Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer http://dts-l.com/index.htm On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 17:29:25 -0700, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, "Jorge Cervantes"...

compare information from two spreadsheets or excel sheets
Don't know if any one can help, I am trying to find an easy way to compare data from one spread sheet to another on Excel 2000. Every week I create a spreadsheet and need to find out if any further items added on it. example old spreadsheet would be called Andrews 19.04.2010 with 3 sheets 4 columns on each. The new one would be Andrews 26.04.2010 same set up again but possibley new items on the Andrews 26.04.2010 Add a fifth corresponding column on the NEW sheet and insert the following formula in the first cell: =SUMPRODUCT((OldSheet!A:A=A1)*(OldSheet!B:B=B1)*(OldShee...

Size of Data input mask
How can I change the size of an Excel Input Mask? Do you mean you want to limit (or even check) the number of characters in a cell when the user is entering data? If yes, take a look at Data|Validation|Settings tab|Allow Text Length If no, then you may want to clarify your question more. Juerg Rohner wrote: > > How can I change the size of an Excel Input Mask? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Help with Links to Files
Hello, I have a file in Word 97-2003 compatibility mode. When I select the Office Button / Prepare I see an option to Edit Links to Files. If I convert the file to 2007 format the option for Edit Links to Files is no longer there. Where did they go? thanks, mitch This is strange. The Edit Links to Files option should be available even if you save in Word 2007 format. Are you sure you didn't inadvertently break the link to the automation object? You could press Alt+F9 to see that the field code for the object is still intact. (Note that you can only see the field co...

Merging three publisher documents into one
How do I merge three Publisher documents into one master document? All three are in the same format. Copy and paste. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "jo" <jo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91582EF0-7004-4BF3-9F40-1B82AE85C1BC@microsoft.com... > How do I merge three Publisher documents into one master document? All > three > are in the same format. ...

Publisher Data Base
Is there any way to convert an existing excel address list to a Publisher data base for mail merge? Since there are close to 1000 entries I do not want to manually add each one. You don't have to convert anything. Use the Excel list for the mail merge. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Richard Las Vegas" <Richard Las Vegas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:909EDBF8-26DC-4661-B36C-1D3FE52CB66E@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to convert an existing excel address list to a Publisher > data base for mail merge? Since there are close t...