Linking customer number format to a cell

Is it possible to link a custom number format to a cell within a workbook?

Currently I have the number format
#,##0.0"m (forecast)";(#,##0.0)"m (forecast)";-"m (forecast)"
used extensively throughout a workbook

I want to change the text after each number to "m (actual)". I will be
changing the text on a monthly basis. Currently I have to manually change the
format each month.
0
Bobak (2)

Not that I know, but if you use styles, as in Word, you could do this in one
step as opposed to changing every single cell.

--
Regards,

Juan Pablo Gonz´┐Żlez
Excel MVP

"Bobak" <Bobak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to link a custom number format to a cell within a workbook?
>
> Currently I have the number format
> #,##0.0"m (forecast)";(#,##0.0)"m (forecast)";-"m (forecast)"
> used extensively throughout a workbook
>
> I want to change the text after each number to "m (actual)". I will be
> changing the text on a monthly basis. Currently I have to manually change
> the
> format each month.

0
JuanPablo1 (72)
8/8/2005 7:06:47 PM
I think you could tie it to another cell, but then you'd have to be able to
specify the cells that are affected.  And that could be more of a pain.

How about this?

Format|Style
type:  Forecast
in the Style name box
click the modify button and put in the forecast numberformat.

Do the same for Actual.

Then you can just select your cells and apply the style you want.

In fact, you can add an icon to your favorite toolbar to make it even simpler.

Tools|Customize|commands tab|format category
look for Style: (with a dropdown box)
drag it to your favorite toolbar.

Now you can just select the cells and use that dropdown to change styles.

===
Ps.  Styles travel with workbooks--so if you want to use this idea in multiple
workbooks, you can either base new workbooks on this workbook or add the styles
yourself.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Account Format
Which Docmount will be best to understand Account Format (and Account Format Seup) in GP? ...

how do i cancel user restricted values in a cell
Data>Validation>Clear All? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 08:58:07 -0700, grahamcotton <grahamcotton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

can I convert a word document (MS 7) to a microsoft works format?
Can this be done. I have windows 7 and want to convert a word document so I can send to daughter who only has Microsoft works. Windows 7 is an operating system; it does not come with any version of Word (the subject of this newsgroup) or any other word processor except WordPad (Notepad is probably better regarded as a text editor). You can create a file in WordPad and save it in Word .doc or RTF format. But perhaps you mean that you also have Word 2007. If so, use Office Button | Save As | Word 97-2003 document. I believe most recent versions of Works can handle this format...

Finding a string in Excel cells
Not sure if this is an Excel problem or a general Microsoft products "feature", but here goes:- I've inherited a HUGE spreadsheet with 6 figures of cells in total(!) and I'm told that some have been highlighted for query or error with "???" in the cell (in addition to other text in that cell). Trouble is, as soon as I do "find" with the "?" character, it seems to ignore it, as if ? is some reserved character. Does anyone have any idea how I can get round this? Ta! The ? character is used as a wild card character (any single character). ...

Using custom charts with other computers
I am changing between two custom charts using VBA. But the charts are stored locally in a file Xlusrgal.xls. If used on other computers, they wound not have these custom charts Can a custom chart be copied from chart to chart within a workbook? Or something better? Excel 97. ...

Custom exports?
Is it possible to create a custom export in Entourage of a few select contacts (rather than the entire address book), which can then be exported to Excel? And how do we go about doing this? Thanks! On 6/1/05 1:16 PM, in article 1117656980.816906.160810@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, "ashleymadigan@gmail.com" <ashleymadigan@gmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to create a custom export in Entourage of a few select > contacts (rather than the entire address book), which can then be > exported to Excel? And how do we go about doing this? You can just drag them out to y...

Money 2003: Active Statement Linked to Wrong Account
I have the Symptoms and Cause of the problem described in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;190416 - except I am using Money 2003, and the Resolution described there for Money 99 doesn't work for me. Any help apreciated. Thanks, David On 2005-05-08, David Chandek-Stark <dc@duke.edu> wrote: > I have the Symptoms and Cause of the problem described in > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;190416 - except > I am using Money 2003, and the Resolution described there for Money 99 > doesn't work for me. I use Money 2004. Th...

Using Names, ie ALPHA as Purchase Order Numbers
I have been told that if i use any alpha based purchase order numbers may cause RMS to crash. In order to track customer orders it would be easy to use their name as the order number. Is this advisable? -- dave dave wrote: > I have been told that if i use any alpha based purchase order numbers may > cause RMS to crash. In order to track customer orders it would be easy to use > their name as the order number. Is this advisable? I think you can use the alpha on PO number only in prefix.. the manager found the next po number using the right chars of PO number. cod Dave I was ...

Row formatting based on cell content #2
That didn't turn out the way i had hoped to explain what i get in m files....but if you can imagine a space in the first colum where heading appears BLUETOOTH DBT120 D-LINK Bluetooth USB Adapter DCF650BT D-LINK Bluetooth PDA Compact Flash CABLE CABLE - SURGE FILTER SF001NP SURGE FILTER PC POWER CABLE CABLE - IDE HDD/CD ROM AUDCAB AUDIO CABLE - BLACK TO BLACK IDECAB IDE DATA CABLE (HDD/CD ROM) - 3 drop IDECAB133 IDE DATA CABLE -ULTRA ATA 133 (HDD) CABLE - NETWORK CABUTP005 0.5 METRE UTP RJ45 LEVEL 5 NETWORK CABLE CABUTP01 1 ...

Custom Entity
Ok, we have custom entity new_productmanagmentbase, and new_productmanagementextensionbase are the table names for this entity. These actually have all the fields I like to see, etc. CRM Itself also have two views that it must create while using the interface, etc. View called New_ProductManagement (which has every customization i've ever needed) AND FilteredNew_ProductManagment (which is the security enabled filtered view CRM creates and the one I'd like to use for SQL Reporting Services Obvously). The problem is, that some of the fields that are in the actual tabels (in our...

Conditional formating formula
Hello, I'm not sure if it is possible but I would like to use conditiona formating to check the value of the cell and if it matches with one o 20 values in d1 to d20, then change the cell format. Currently I ca set my conditional format formula to check one cell in the formula. Anyone got any ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Assuming that A1 contains your value for conditional formatting... 1) Select A1 2) Format > Conditional Formatting > Formula Is =COUNTIF($D$1:$D$20,$A$1)>0 3) Choose your formatting 4) Click Ok Hope this helps! --- Message po...

What can cause 'incorrect format' when compiling an MFC exe for win98 on win98?
Hello and thanks for helping. An mfc project I have been working on now produces .exes that make windows98 show 'incorrect format' message. I looked up the error in MSDN and this is what I found: Error11 An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. ERROR_BAD_FORMAT What can cause this? For some background, I have been developing a program on a win98 computer but then switched to a w2k computer for a while. Now I have to go back to the win98 computer and support the program on other win98 computers. Problem is, when I reinstalled VC++, cleaned then rebuilt al...

identifying odd/even numbers
Is there a formula or easy way way for excel to identify if a number (thousands of numbers) is odd or even? Thanks --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ One way: Even: =MOD(A1,2)=0 Odd: =MOD(A1,2)=1 If you load the Analysis Toolpak Add-in, you can use the ISODD() or ISEVEN() functions. Note that ISODD works a bit differently, since it truncates numbers, so if A1 = 3.5 =MOD(A1,2)=1 ==> FALSE =ISODD(A1) ==> TRUE In article <rdy4trvl.z2p1m@excelforum-nospam.com>, rdy4trvl <rdy4trvl.z2p1m@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote: > Is ...

conditional formating
Hi, Is it possible to automaticaly hide rows if all values(lets say B10:Z10) in that row are 0? Michael Sub hiderowifallzeros() For Each c In Range("a5:a15") If Application.CountIf(Range("b10:z10"), 0) > 0 _ Then c.EntireRow.hidden=true Next End Sub This will hide rows from 5-10 if col A is blank Sub hizezerorows() For Each c In Range("a5:a15") If Application.IsNumber(c) And c = 0 Then c.EntireRow.Hidden = True Next End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Michael" <m.vink@nestas.nl> wrote in message news:eyPN1NbuDHA.2...

Place a form control value in Access to a specific cell in Excel.
I didn't get a response on my last post, so I'm hoping someone will have an idea on this request. Below is my original post: Hi, All! I'm looking for some help in moving data from my Access form to specific cells in an Excel template. I'd like to create a command button on my Access form that will open the .xlt file and transfer some of the values on my form and plug them into the .xlt. For example, I have the cost of equipment calculated on my form control (3 printers @ $300 each = $900), the command button will capture that value and plug it into the capital expenditure ...

formating imported data
I know the basics for Excel, but as far as this is concerned, I'm a little lost. I have a set of data coming to me via a tab deliniated txt document, and I know how to import it in and set it up so that every time the user opens the excel file it asks the user for the txt file to input and removes some of the unnecessary columns. I've got that working fine. However, I need to be able to dynamically reformat what comes in, respacing some of the rows, removing the txt file's header, and fiddling around with small things like that. I have no idea how to do this. If I do any fiddling...

Number format for basis points
Hello I am certainly not the first to ask but I didn't find an answer yet. Is there anyway to create a custom number format that allows to display basis points in Excel? For instance if I have a cell with the formula "=2.5%%", I would like to see "2.5bps" appearing. "0.0%%" allows to get "2.5%%" appearing. Any trick to get beyond that step? thanks in advance Charles Use a custom number format of 0.0"bps" and just enter 2.5 -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "Charl...

External Links #5
Whats the best method to link 2 spreadhseets together. They have a stock code that is the common link between them. 1 sheet has 4168 lines the other has 14909 lines. The larger one is a FULL list of all stock codes, the other is a smaller subset, its needed for sections of catalogues. I want to be able to change the price on the master list and have it updated on the subset listing. At the moment I have setup a hiddeous lookup formula - rather messy. Thanks Peter. -- PeterG ------------------------------------------------------------------------ PeterG's Profile: http://www.exc...

cell comment
how can i copy the cell comments from one workbook to another. i have no trouble coping comments to a different part of same workbook. thanks Try: Copy > Paste special > Check "Comments" > OK (Just tried it. It works within the same book, and to another book as well) -- Rgds Max xl 97 ---------------------------------- Use xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com for email ----------------------------------------- "bob" <bjlstrong@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:HppRb.298227$X%5.296318@pd7tw2no... > how can i copy the cell comments from one workbook ...

conditional formatting, 2003 beta, bug?
Using 2003 beta. I am using conditional formatting in a single column. It works fine the first time that I format the fill color of a cell to a matching value. When I do this again in same column, making a cell with a different value a different color, it changes the color correctly, but the fill color of the cells I did the first time go back to, no fill (white). Is there away around this? Is it a bug? Is reinstalling the only fix? Thanks ...

prohibit users from creating new sites/part numbers
GP 8.0 when you type in a site for example in the transfer screen and the site doesn't exist, the program asks you if you want to create it. We do NOT want anyone creating new sites or part numbers who isn't in the Logistics group. Is there any way to prohibit this behavior by the program. I 've looked all through advanced security and turned off the cards for a certain class of user, but the program still asks if they want to create a new site/part number. I do not have Field Level Security module. Thanks! Margaret Margaret, The next step, after the user says Yes to se...

Pivot table format on paste values
Hi, I've constructed a working file with numerous pivot tables to be used in reports. what i would like to do is paste these sheets into a new book as values and still retain the Excel 2007 formats. As i have multiple pivot tables on one worksheet when i copy and paste into the new sheet i lose all the pivot table formatting eg total lines and the standard blue headings? it seems i can simply highlight one pivot and copy and paste this as values and source formats but it does not work when copying the whole sheet - which i need as this is a very repetitive task if i have to r...

Links To Task Fr Calendar & Contacts
I do not know how to link my calendar & contacts to my task. Is this possible & it so how. Thanks jb You can link items to Contacts by opening the item and selecting the Contacts button at the bottom. On some items, such as Note items, you need to select Options from the View menu to see the Contacts button. Once you have items linked to Contacts, you can view those items through the Contact's Activities tab. If you right-click your Contacts folder, select Properties, and then select Activities; you can select which folders are searched for linked items. It's not as straig...

00/01/1900 In the date cell when linked cell is empty?
Hi I have 52 worksheets all linked up to a total sheet that is working very well thanks to RD All I need to do now is sort out the date this is copied from sheet1 onto the totals page and works fine when the date is put into sheet1. However if the cell is blank on sheet2 the date is put into the totals sheet as 00/01/1900 when the date is put in sheet2 all is well with the right date entered into the totals sheet. So how do I get the totals date to stay blank until the weekly sheets have a date put into the sheet please. the format I am using is below many thanks for all the help I ...

Combining cell with the & function and keep the individual cell fo
Is there a way to keep the original format of the cell when combining the cells together? For instance, my formula is =c4&" "e4. I would like c4 to be bold, but not e4. Is this possible? Hi this is not possible with formulas -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Kelly Ma" <Kelly Ma@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:9C2F054D-96BD-426E-AD2F-E433DFB8EA3F@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to keep the original format of the cell when combining the > cells together? For instance, my formula is =c4&" "e4. I would li...