Linking columns for auto fill

Can I link two columns to auto fill Column A when corresponding data is
entered in Column B?

In A1 enter  =IF(B1="","",B1)

Copy down column A as far as you wish.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:11:01 -0700, Daisy <Daisy@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Can I link two columns to auto fill Column A when corresponding data is
>entered in Column B?

0
Gord

Need help sorting linked cells.
I have a column of cells that are linked to cells from different place in the same spreadsheet. These cells contain golf scores. I want t be able to sort the column of linked cells in ascending order. How ca I do this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If your formulas are like: =sheet2!b33 I think you'll have trouble. You may want to try to put a key value in each row (golfer's name???) and then use a different formula to retrieve the value: =vlookup(a33,sheet2!a:b,2,false) Then sort. "NailBombJoe <" wrote: > > I have a column of cells that...

Linked Images (Cheks) Don't Display Properly
Hello, for some strange reason, when I choose to link an image to a transaction, most of what was downloaded shows properly. But the check images themselves does not show. In the recent past this was not a problem. I have checked the associations settings for html etc and set them to view in IE but this did not fix the problem. What am I missing, Please? ...

Auto-Save attachments in Outlook 2003 ???
Hi, Having spent hours searching for an answer to this and finding lots of replies quoting VBA scripts etc, I am only marginally wiser ! I can't believe that an app as complex as Outlook 2003 doesn't have a built-in facility to automatically save attachments !! This seems such a glaringly obvious omission, I am inclined to think it has been done deliberately for some strange reason. Please can someone help here - all I want to do is create a rule that will check for a message from a certain sender and automatically save any attachments to a specified folder. That's all. I don&...

Error when I click on mailto: links
Greetings, I get an error message when I click on any links that use the mailto: code. Here's the error: Title: Problem with Shortcut Text: The amil program was unable to send mail. I use Windows 98 and Office XP. I use Outlook XP, not Outlook Express as my default mail app. I have ensured that Outlook XP is my default e-mail program. I have also made sure that under Internet Options--> Application, it says that Outlook is my mail program. Anything else I can do? Hold curser over link, press shift key, now you can click on link. "Steve Miller" wrote: > Greetings,...

The procedure entry point RtlUnhandledExceptionFilter could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll.
I have found a 'ntdll.dll' file, but that didn't help. This shows up in Outlook. W. Kirk Crawford Rochester Hills, Michigan --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.788 / Virus Database: 533 - Release Date: 11/1/2004 I found it, http://www.jrsoftware.org/iskb.php?uxtheme W. Kirk Crawford Rochester Hills, Michigan "W. Kirk Crawford" <wkc@comcast.net> wrote in message news:xoidnaqrja3VPVncRVn-hg@comcast.com... > I have found a 'ntdll.dll' file, but that didn't help. > ...

auto play 03-26-10
I use an HP pc with Windows Vista 64-bit home premium. I like to play DVDs on the PC using Cyberlink PowerDVD. I can not get the pc to autoplay DVD files when they are inserted. When I use the Control Panel to open the "Set AutoPlay settings," PowerDVD does not show up in the drop-down menu of choices? Can someone tell me please how to make that happen? Thanks "D Van Deusen" <lucasfalls@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:E84FB90C-FC0B-42FC-868C-50B59F9BF8A6@microsoft.com... > I use an HP pc with Windows Vista 64-bit home premium. I like to play...

Pivot Table Report: Getting average of difference of two date columns
Hello I have data in excel sheet as: WORK_ID PROJECT START_DT END_DT 1001 P1 1/1/2006 1/10/2006 1002 P1 1/25/2006 2/20/2006 1003 P1 3/15/2006 3/20/2006 I want to have a report that will give me average time taken to finish a work in a project. That is, I have to take average of (end_dt - start_dt) for a project group. How do I do this in a pivot table report. When I use a calculate field to get the days worked for a work_id using DATEDIF(START_DT, END_DT, "D") then excel computes only sum on that (pivot table report ...

Linking using ranges?
I have a chart of data on one excel worksheet (and this chart has a constant number of columns, but the number of rows vary). I need to take all of the data on this chart (not all of the data on that worksheet) and put it in to the middle of another worksheet. I was wondering if there was a way to do this without using a macro. My thought was to try to create a range on each sheet and set one range equal to another, but apparently excel doesn't allow this (at least in version 2000, which I am using). Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas? If this isn't possible how woul...

auto email if cell value changed
I'm using a workbook to schedule staff. Each month is a worksheet then I have some counts that are done. The days of the month are in the top row and the names of the staff in the first column. We've set up autorefresh on web pages so the schedule is always available but... people still don't notice shift changes. I want excel to generate an email to the person (we're running exchange too) if a cell value is changed. I was thinking of a couple of steps. 1. So they only get emails about the current month and the month ahead -- Have a cell at the top with YES/NO in i...

Rows to Columns
I have data arranged in rows across a spread sheet, for example B2, C2, D2, etc. How can I change that to a column, for example A1, A2, A3, etc without reentering all the data? Thank you --Select B2:D2. Copy the range --Select A1. Right click>PasteSpecial>Transpose>OK If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "Walter Seaton" wrote: > I have data arranged in rows across a spread sheet, for example B2, C2, D2, > etc. > How can I change that to a column, for example A1, A2, A3, etc without > reentering all the data? >...

edit fill series
Excel 2000 question: I can never predict whether series will work or not. Example: I take a fresh new worksheet and type the number 1 in cell a1, then 2 in a2. I grab these two cells, drag downward and get a series 1 2 3 4 etc. OK. Taking that same fresh new worksheet, I can also put the number 1 in a cell, go to edit/fill/series and that works fine too. When I take my old well worn worksheets that I also use as templates, the above things don't work (or sometimes may work). If I type the number 1 in cell a1, then 2 in a2, then grab these two cells and drag downward, I get 1 1 1 1 1, no se...

how to restore links automatically after server migration?
We plan to migrate from Novell to Windows Server 2003, using new directory structures. The problem is : we have more than 1000 spreadsheets which are linked to other spreadsheets, and after the migration all the links will be broken because of the new locations. Is there a tool or a trick to restore these links quicker than opening all the sheets and correct the links by hand one-by-one? I could produce a table containing the name of the sheet, old location, new location, but then ?... Any help is highly appreciated! Sabine ...

Filtered list & maximum no columns problem
Hi I have a filtered list with a considerable amount of associated data, which I am performing calculations on. I have run out of columns for this data. It is not practical to split the data into other sheets, as I am making frequent changes to the filter criteria. Any suggestions? Bertie -- claytorm ------------------------------------------------------------------------ claytorm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=11610 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398516 ...

How do I Change the Column Names (Re-Name A -
I want to Change the Column Headings from letters to actual names. How do I do that? hi this can not be done. excel needs these to find/remember where everthing is on the spreadsheet grid. you can change the letters to numbers but that is it. on the 2003 menu bar... tools>options>general tab. check R1C1 reference style. or you can get rid of the letters all togeather. on the 2003 menu bar.... tools>options>view tab>uncheck row & column headers. but they are still there, just not visible. usually when someone want to wants to get rid of the column header letters, they u...

How to link the content of a cell with a related list of items
I have a workbook that I created for tst item analysis. On the main worksheet is used to enter sudent's response for every multiple-choice question. on another worksheet which is the summary, I wrote a formula that allows me to sknow how many students choose choice 1, choice 2, choice 3,choice 4 for a given question. My challenge is to click on that number of student in the cell to display the list of students who chose cjoice 1, 2, 3, or 4. How canI do that please? -- Ti Moy Here's a formulas model to achieve the underlying objectives: http://cjoint.com/?chjHCSWehb ...

Auto-Reply
hello, i Unchecked the disable outof office to the internet box in the imc then restart the ims Still, nobody from outside get my out of office message !! anyone knows? "Tom" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:1213501c3f575 $3012e7f0$a501280a@phx.gbl: > i Unchecked the disable outof office to the internet box > in the imc then restart the ims > > Still, nobody from outside get my out of office message !! > > anyone knows? > Do you have "disable automatic replies to the internet" checked? Regards, -- Arlo C...

columns within columns
I'd like to make a single page spreadsheet with the twelve months across the top. within each, i would like 4 or 5 columns representing the weeks.this will be an actual 2010 calendar. the titles for the inner columns will be the date of the first monday of the week. vertical grid lines separating the months are a little darker than the grid lines separating the weeks. the y axis will be the values to be entered any suggestiions? Before you start have a look at John Walkenback's calender @ http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php/files Look for Array Formula ...

Printing Double Columns
How do I get an Excel spreadsheet to print in double columns? The two columns in question are narrow enough for this. Art David McRitchie has a macro that will "snake" the columns. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm Personally, I'd copy into MSWord (maybe hitting NotePad if MSWord slows down when I paste). Then use MSWord's Format|Column to make life easy. AjM wrote: > > How do I get an Excel spreadsheet to print in double columns? The two > columns in question are narrow enough for this. > > Art -- Dave Peterson Dave, That was a...

Visio 2002 Pro database column notes
Hi, I know this question has been asked before, but I'm still not sure where to go from here! I have reverse engineered a database, and fully documented each table and column via the notes fields. It is my understanding that in this version, the notes cannot be printed or exported out. Looking at previous posts in this ng, it has been suggested that this is only available in the "Enterprise Edition". After looking at Microsoft's site, it seems that Visio 2002 Enterprise comes in two versions, Network and Architect. Can both of these access/print the notes fields? The Net...

Change Excel Column Headings from A,B etc to names?
I want to import an excel csv file of e-mail addresses ito googlemail but I do not know how to change the column headings from A, B etc into name and addres etc column headings which google will accept You cannot change the column headers. Use row 1 for your column titles of Name, Address etc. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 22 May 2008 09:46:00 -0700, Sandy Mac <Sandy Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I want to import an excel csv file of e-mail addresses ito googlemail but I >do not know how to change the column headings from A, B etc into name and >addres etc...

Fill Down to Last Value
I have 2 spreadsheets (Sheet 1 and Sheet 2). Sheet 1 has one header row and sheet 2 has 2 header rows. I am using the following to count the number of rows in Sheet 1 and copy a formula to every row in Sheet 2 based on the count from Sheet 1. With Worksheets("Sheet1") lStop = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row End With Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("3:" & lStop + 1).FillDown The formula is perfect except when I only have one entry in Sheet 1. In this case the formula copies the second header row in Sheet 2 instead...

links between lists
i have excel 2002 and Win XP. I am creating two lists of name one line of travel and one alphabetical. I want to know if there is a way a) to link the two together in a way that if i change the sequence number on the travel one it will automatically change the number to the corresponding name in the alphabetical list of name b) and also if i need to delete a line it would delete the corresponding line in the other list. c) would that be possible on the same sheet or even different sheets of the same file That would be fantistic but may be i am dreaming too much. Let's hope ...

Comparison of Columns
I have three columns thast represent Set numbers, I want to compare the values in column "B" with those in column "A" find where they match and then calculate how many rows they have moved either up or down and put the answer in column "C" Col A Col B Col C 1127 1129 +1 1129 1130 +1 1130 1132 +3 1102 1102 0 1131 1131 0 1132 1133 +1 1133 1135 +1 1135 1137 +2 1062 1138 +2 1137 1062 -1 1138 1141 You need to provide much more detail. For example, what exactly do you mean by "where they match&quo...

FINDING "EQUALITY" within 3 consecutive columns
I have 3 consecutive columns, A,B, & C with various numbers within each...also there are probably 1500 rows. How do I find the rows where each of the three numbers within that row are equal? EXAMPLE: A B C 1 128 158 188 2 127 128 128 3 211 188 170 4 199 196 165 5 ...

Drag and drop to create a link to a file in a cell of an Excel file
Hi, What I want to do is to click a file in Windows Explorer and then drag and drop it into a cell of an opened Excel file to create a hyperlink to this file (i.e. later on if the linked file is a PDF file and if I click the link, it will open the file in Adobe Reader. Of course, it does not work in the way as I thought. Instead, Excel reads the file into a worksheet. I wonder whether anyone has an idea how to achieve this. It is just too tedious to use Insert -> Hyperlink to create the link if there are many files to be linked. Thanks for any suggestion. Paul. How about just getting th...