linked files

When I open a file it says it is linked to another file.  When I check the
links it is linked to a file I no longer have.  How do I find where the link
is coming from and get rid of it.  Going to the Edit Links doesn't seem to
get rid of the file.

Charlie C
0
5280 (1)

Try Bill Manville's excellent "FindLink" utility ..

It's available at Stephen Bullen's page:
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Def�ault.htm

--
Rgds
Max
"Charlie 5280" <Charlie 5280@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I open a file it says it is linked to another file.  When I check the
> links it is linked to a file I no longer have.  How do I find where the
link
> is coming from and get rid of it.  Going to the Edit Links doesn't seem to
> get rid of the file.
>
> Charlie C

0
demechanik (4694)

XLS files
How do I open XLS messages in windows vista?? Those are Excel files. If you don't have Excel, get the viewer. To view .xls attachments, you need Excel, or you can download this Excel viewer. Excel Viewer http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1CD6ACF9-CE06-4E1C-8DCF-F33F669DBC3A&displaylang=en "Mohawk" <Mohawk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17F62579-BB25-4296-BD63-444451646FCB@microsoft.com... > How do I open XLS messages in windows vista?? I think you mean, how do you open an XLS attachment received via email...

Shared excel file dissapears
We use a shared excel 2000 xls file shared on a w2k server as a production log. we now have about 30 users with about 12 users constantly editing. As we add more users the dissapearances seem to mount up. we are at about 2 a day now. I was wondering what the max amount vs the recommended amount of simultaneous users are. Are there any known issues which would cause excel to mysteriously vanish?? thanks cr -- http://QLiner.com It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried. - Winston Churchill ...

I have a e-mail in my delete file that will not deleate.
I have tried to delete a file from my junk mail file, when I try to remove the e-mail I get a message to go to an in box repair tool, with a scanpst.exe. Nothing appears when I type in scanpst.exe and this e-mail I cannot move the e-mail it is frozen Search, to include hidden files for scanpst.exe. You dont run scanpst.exe from within outlook "roger" <roger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBD25472-D780-4E95-9F7C-1F69E01FE913@microsoft.com... >I have tried to delete a file from my junk mail file, when I try to remove > the e-mail I get a m...

Macro syntax to open file in current explorer folder
Pt 1 : MS Excel 97 SR-2 ----------------------- I would like to use a macro code line starting Workbooks.OpenText FileName:=".\AmsAll-1.prn", _ to open the tab delimited file "AmsAll-1.prn" in the folder from which I launch the Excel application. However the ".\" path qualifier always reverts to the C: drive, not the K: mapped drive that I access all my project files from. It is inconvenient to navigate several levels down to the project from C:\ just to run this one application. The following does work : Workbooks.OpenText FileName:="k:.\AmsAll-1...

Links and Filesizes
Hi all, i have two queries about XL. I am currently developing a system which is used to measure performance. This is a hefty sized file consisting of two workbooks 1. Rough Work Workbook has all the formulas needed for the system and the working out the information i need in the 2nd workbook (which we will call Results) is linked to Results just simply by clicking the "=" sign and clicking on the cell in the Rough Work workbook. The Rough Work workbook is not intended to be used/seen by anyone but me. The Results workbook is meant to be sent to top managers to evaluate their pe...

Publisher 2003 file not updated on save
Hi, I have a client using Publisher 2003 under XP. The file she is working on, March.pub, is stored on a Windows 2003 server which she accesses via a mapped P: drive. Yesterday, she worked on a file most of the day and swears she did a Save very often. About 4pm, she saved, printed her work, exited from Publisher, logged off Windows, and went home. Today when she came in she opened the file, only to find that it was missing much of her work. I checked and in fact the latest version on the server is from about 1pm. I had no luck finding a temporary version on the XP machine's C: dr...

delimited file format issue
i get reports from (idx) a program that are delimited files. the columns are all fine but 1 and i can't figure it out. its supposed to be money and comes across as 11500. in the original program (idx) it would look like 115.00 and that is how i want it to look in excel. i tried the easy stuff like formatting and i keep getting 11500.00 or 1150.0 in my simple mind i thought it would be easy to move that decimal but its not turning out that way. i have thousands of line items so doing it one by one is not the optimum solution. any help is appreciated. excel 2003 os XP You really wa...

Conversion to pdf file problem
I have MS Publisher 2007 and Windows XP. I created a document which will be printed on 11 x 8 1/2 paper (landscape style) and folded in half- booklet. The individual page is 5.5 x 8.268 and thus two pages are printed on one landscape sheet. I can use the Print Preview and the publisher document looks fine but when I convert and publish it to a pdf document, the pages are screwy. The pages are narrow with text cut off . What am I doing wrong? Are you using the *save as a PDF* add-in from Microsoft? How did your booklet lose a quarter of an inch? Try the add-in, see if it converts c...

eConnect linking SOP transaction to existing PO
The current eConnect taSopToPopLink allows linking a SOP transaction to a new PO created by eConnect. It would be nice to have the option to also use this node to link the SOP order to a purchase order that already exists in GP. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the messag...

gif files
Since synchronizing m e-mail with "Outlook" my emails containing a gif file do not work. I need help to get them to work. I have another email account that they will work with and they work with my regular email. Any help? What type of email account are you synchronizing with outlook? What exactly does "do not work" mean? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsle...

Emptying deleted E-mail file
I received an obviously tainted E-mail which I deleted without opening. When I go to empty the deleted messages file, I receive the message "This program has performed an illegal operation, and will be shut down". When I restart Outlook,I can go to the deleted messages file, and delete all messages 1 by 1, except for this one message. If I attempt to delete that one message, I get shut down again. Help! ...

Which class should handle the request to open a file
Hi! I'm writing a simple game (sdi, doc-view) and new games are started by opening files from a menu item (more on what the actual game is about below). However, I find it difficult to figure out what I should handle where. I was thinking of handling open file request (ON_COMMAND()) in the main frame and if the user selects a valid file then notify the document class about it (let the document class do the actual reading of the file). The files contain a text-represation of a maze and the user is supposed to control a character that must find its way out of the maze. The faster an...

unprotect file: response to Truman's no help
I have password protected a file, and now that the untrustworthy employee is gone, need to unprotect it. When I click on 'Tools', then 'Protection', it doesn't offer the choice of 'unprotect...' as promised in HELP. The response to Truman's issue (posted 7/25 7:45 pm) was too complicated - I'm not an IT person. Any suggestions? Thank you! If you protected the file, you can save it again, without a password: 1. Open the file, entering the password when prompted. 2. Choose File>Save As 3. From the Tools menu, choose General Options. 4. Delete the ...

Linking cells in a worksheet to other worksheets in a workbook
I'd like to be able to link a cell in one worksheet to another worksheet, so that when I click on the cell in the first worksheet, the other worksheet opens up. I have a spreadsheet where the first page (worksheet) has a listing of items contained in other tabs (worksheets). I'd like to be able to click on the first worksheet "index" and have the appropriate worksheet pop open with the contents of the index. Thanks for your responses! (In Excel 2003) Select a cell to which you would like to add a link. Select Insert->Hyperlink. Click the "Place in this doc...

Changing of Cell protections after saving Excel File (2002)
This problem occurs when I protect a document using a macro 4.0 function: =PROTECT.DOCUMENT(TRUE,,,TRUE,TRUE). When I use the function within a macro4.0 macro, on an original file, everything works fine. The sheet has unlocked cells, and when the sheet is protected, it allows me to access those cells. But if I save the file, or save.as another name, then the fun begins. The enable selection of the sheet( view codes) has gone from 0-xlNoRestrictions to -4142- xlNoSelection. This locks me out of doing anything in the sheet. When I unprotect and then re-protect the sheet using the T...

Bad File Name
I'm getting the Error #52, Bad File Name or Number. FileCopy "C:\PROSERV\DB\Restore.mdb", "C:\PROSERV\BU\Format(Date,""yyyymmdd"") & "".mdb" The file defintely exisits. Could it be the format part thats not right. Thanks DS DS wrote: >I'm getting the Error #52, Bad File Name or Number. > >FileCopy "C:\PROSERV\DB\Restore.mdb", >"C:\PROSERV\BU\Format(Date,""yyyymmdd"") & "".mdb" Hard to tell without knowing what file name you are looking for. Is this the same ...

when starting excel, .doc & .dat file come up ?????
When I got my new computer at work XP Pro operating, w/2003 Office pro, every time I open Excel, about 12 .doc & .dat file pop up saying not excel format files, and I have to say close to everyone. Then, if automatically defaults to opening an excel file that is someone elses. I have tried running a repair, uninstalling and reinstalling, and nothing works. Never, have I had anything like this happen in my fifteen years. Any suggestions????? HELP it really slows me down. -- thankssomuch The first place I'd check is: Tools|Options|General Tab Make sure that the "at star...

error when opening .accdb file
I don't think this is a new issue but I can't seem to find the resolution... I get an error when opening my Access 2007 formatted database stating that the file could not be found, though at the same time the file opens successfully. -- Error is intermittent. On occasions where the error does not occur, the file opens normally (I have never had an occasion where the file did not open at all) -- I have only seen the error happen when I have a 'Display Form' set in the Application Options for the 'Current Database' -- The database contains macros, VBA m...

Folder-Link Icon in Outlook 2003
In the past (Outlook XP and before) I could distinguish between a regular Folder and a Folder-Link (.xnk file). Their icons were different. In Outlook 2003 a Folder-Link icon looks exactly the same as a Folder icon. Is they any way I can influence the look of Folder Link icons ? You can change the xnk-file icon association by going to Control Panel-> Folder Options -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Arie Blonk" <Arie Blonk@discussio...

Default Folder for PST files?
I have a slightly different question relating to the above: I already have my current & archive pst files stored in my own personal folders. When I want to open my archive folder I right-click Outlook Today & select 'Open Outlook Data File'. Everytime, Outlook defaults to its own path (Documents & Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\) This is really annoying & I would like it to default to opening a customised path, such as C:\Mail\ Any suggestions? -- Cheers, James Goodman Hi James, if you want to displace your pst file, please ...

Charts not recognizing source data if original linked data is changed.
I am very frustrated by Excel (2003) at the moment. I'm relatively new to using Excel in depth. I have always been able to work my way through most intricacies and pitfalls. But now I have been working in a workbook with linked sheets (and with linked workbooks too) and have two problems that I cannot solve. Right now, I have about 47 sheets that are set up as follows: detail data: this is the raw data the the user enters daily totals: this is calculated data from the detail sheets summary sheets: further sums from the daily totals and a chart object that charts these sums (a line or sc...

Importing Contract from .csv file is not working
Hi, I m new to CRM. I have two column in my .CSV file. name and phone number i am trying to imort them to CRM contact Module. Everything happen smooth, i mean mapping of fields. But it does not Import the Contact in to CRM , instead the task goes and sits into the Buld Import Activity. And shows the Status as "Pending". I am using CRM Client and all the services are running..... Please let me know what could be the problem.. Labhesh Shrimali Bangalore - India MCP. Hi you have to change the Log on account for the Workflow Service on the CRM Server Regards, Dirk F ...

ProbleM: when I restore a mailbox using Exmerge with a pst file, nothing is transferred.
Hi, I am practising Exmerge for a big remote site migration in a couple of weeks. One thing I dont understand is that I can backup one test mailbox fine using Exmerge (I know this works, as I have opened the mailbox pst file within outlook and everything is there), but when I perform the restore using the pst file, nothing happens. There is no error messages, and Emerge goes through the motions (though it finishes supsiciously quick), but when I open the mailbox, no emails have been restored. Although it is great that Exmerge is working for the backup part of the stage, I am disappointed it i...

How do I link a shape on a organ chart to another org chart page
If I have a org chart on one page with three shapes, A B C, and a second page with names in shapes of people reporting to C on page 1. How can I click on Shape C on first page and bring up the second page showing the employees who work under him C -right click shape C -Format > Behavior > Double-Click -Select "Go to page: Page-2" Frank Help <Help@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag: 9A0D1770-05EE-42D1-ACB3-A0958688AE64@microsoft.com... > If I have a org chart on one page with three shapes, A B C, and a second page > with names in shapes of pe...

Importing ofx file
I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working and I have to manually import the file into money. Not a big deal, but an annoyance just the same. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a fix for this? tia dennisd In message <QK3kl.3776$rt3.617@newsfe15.iad>, dennis <djd@home.net> writes >I'm using Money 2004 Premium and I was downloading my bank account >information in ofx format directly in Money; recently this stopped working >and I have to manually import the fi...