Linked files XP vs. Win98

We're running Excel 2000 across a Novell network and are seeing some
strange behavior occuring with linked files.  We can open a linked file
held on the network in Win98 and the links (to another file on the
network) update in <1 sec.  But, if we open the exact same file in XP,
it will take almost a full minute to update.  With some of our files
that have much more extensive links the difference just gets worse.  If
both the source file and the linked file are loaded locally the update
times are very comparable (<1 sec.).

Does anyone have an idea why this would be happening?  Our support
staff is pulling their hair out because they need to get all of our
Win98 boxes upgraded to XP and this is a serious show-stopper for them.

--
FrankB
FrankB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18952

Any help on this???

--
FrankB
FrankB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18952
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=491656

Anyone have any ideas???

--
FrankB
FrankB's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=18952
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=491656

Here is fix for Windows file problems

How to link with an Access DB
Hi, I have an Acces DB with many tables. I need to choose the name of a customer in a cell of Excel. For example, in acces I have this tables: Table1 Id Name Last Name City I need to choose the last name from a drop down menu in a spreadsheet and then in other cell I need to put all the data regarding the last name that I choose. I hope to be exaustive, and sorry for my english. :-) Many Thanks Stefano ...

Fax Icon on my File menu and toolbar

Why XP style not appeared?
I write a IE Band ( A DLL. )like googlebar. I set the RT_MANIFEST and rewrite the resource ID = 2. #define IDR_RT_MANIFEST1 2 Why XP style not appeared? but googlebar has. // this is my stdafx.h #ifndef WINVER // #define WINVER 0x0400 // #endif #ifndef _WIN32_WINNT // #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0400 // #endif #ifndef _WIN32_WINDOWS // #define _WIN32_WINDOWS 0x0410 #endif #ifndef _WIN32_IE // #define _WIN32_IE 0x0501 // #endif build environment: VS2003 + XP SP2 + IE6 thanks ! ...

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Table link documentation

Outlook receiving zip files

unable to read file #7

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

Exporting contacts in a csv file

Publisher can not save file

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Outlook 2003

Opening Multiple Web Links in a Column

Is Outlook 2000 compatiple with Windows XP Home?
It seems to be having problems if it is... something like Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? Hi, I have Outlook 2000 installed on my XP Home machine and it works fine. >-----Original Message----- >It seems to be having problems if it is... something like >Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand >the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? >. > Rod <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > It seems to be having problems if it is... something...

Install ActiveX on Windows XP / IE8
Hi, I created a non-admin installation package to take advantage of the new IE8 features to deploy my ActiveX control. It works perfectly on Windows Vista+ but not on Windows XP (the yellow bar is never displayed). Here is the content of my INF file: [version] signature="$CHICAGO$" AdvancedINF=2.0 [Add.Code] DbCtrlEx.ocx=DbCtrlEx.ocx [Deployment] InstallScope=user [DbCtrlEx.ocx] file-win32-x86=thiscab clsid={97012969-FEFB-4F8F-A03C-67F83D139E8F} RegisterServer=yes FileVersion=1,0,0,1 RedirectToHKCU=yes If I remove the Deployment section it works...

Are Office XP fonts freeware?
I want to learn about copyright issue of "Office XP standart fonts" or any web address explains. Can i use one, in logo design? serdar wrote: > I want to learn about copyright issue of "Office XP standart fonts" or any > web address explains. Can i use one, in logo design? > > Why is this an Excel question? If you look at the fonts in the Windows fonts directory, usually c:\windows\fonts, you'll see that most of them are copyrighted. I suggest you do a Google or other search for freeware fonts. You should find some items that way. That said, yo...